NBA.com's Top 10 International Players (w/video)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Witzig-Okashi
Rookie
And1: 379

NBA.com's Top 10 International Players (w/video) 

Post#1 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Saw this earlier today, and I wonder about everyone's thoughts on it. I was to place on the International Board, but I was thinking that it would possibly be relocated.

Here's the link. http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2014/10/27/20141027-top-10-international-players.nba/

Just in case you didn't watch:

10) Drazen Petrovic
9) Yao Ming
8) Pao Gasol
7) Manu Ginobili
6) Tony Parker
5) Steve Nash
4) Patrick Ewing
3) Dirk Nowitzki
2) Tim Duncan
1) Hakeem Olajuwon

Thoughts?
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
"*Sigh* The things I do for love."
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: NBA.com's Top 10 International Players (w/video) 

Post#2 » by Quotatious » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm

I think calling Duncan or Ewing "international" players doesn't make sense. Honestly, I rarely even include Hakeem as an international player, and whenever I think of the best international player, it's always Dirk that is my #1.

Anyway, based on the very loose criteria they use, this list certainly makes sense (the only thing that I would change would be putting Nash over Ewing, but I can live with that).
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#3 » by Jaivl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm

>Parker #6
>Drazen's 4-year NBA career over Sabonis or Schrempf

:oops:
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#4 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Quotatious wrote:I think calling Duncan or Ewing "international" players doesn't make sense. Honestly, I rarely even include Hakeem as an international player, and whenever I think of the best international player, it's always Dirk that is my #1.

Anyway, based on the very loose criteria they use, this list certainly makes sense (the only thing that I would change would be putting Nash over Ewing, but I can live with that).

I personally feel that including Tim Duncan as an international player is a little disingenuous. It's not like it's the British Virgin Islands, its' the USA's. Then again, the US Basketball team did play Puerto Rico during the FIBA World Cup during the summer, and I suppose I can respect their consistency....

I thought of Nash over Ewing, too, but I can live with Pat over him, for obvious reasons :D

I think Pau over Manu (maybe Parker) is debatable, too.
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#5 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Jaivl wrote:>Parker #6
>Drazen's 4-year NBA career over Sabonis or Schrempf

:oops:

I think the Drazen pick was more on what could have been rather than what was. I suppose you can say the same about Yao, but personal issues with people calling him sorry (on a Bradley/Muresan level, dealt with that at work a few weeks ago :-?) plays into my biases with him.

Wow, can't believe I forgot about Detlef! :-?

On a side note, I would love to see where Marc Gasol ranks on this in 5 years :)
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#6 » by Quotatious » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Witzig-Okashi wrote:I think Pau over Manu (maybe Parker) is debatable, too.

Yeah, I'd definitely take Pau over Parker. Gasol vs Ginobili is closer, but I'd have to put Pau higher, as well, because he was a legitimate All-Star type player in his prime, played a lot more minutes, and still produced very well.

So, Gasol would be my #6, Ginobili #7, Parker #8 (I can see Tony over Manu, same reasoning as for Pau over Manu, but I just felt like prime Manu was clearly better than prime Parker, so on my personal list, I'd put Manu higher).
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#7 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Quotatious wrote:
Witzig-Okashi wrote:I think Pau over Manu (maybe Parker) is debatable, too.

Yeah, I'd definitely take Pau over Parker. Gasol vs Ginobili is closer, but I'd have to put Pau higher, as well, because he was a legitimate All-Star type player in his prime, played a lot more minutes, and still produced very well.

So, Gasol would be my #6, Ginobili #7, Parker #8 (I can see Tony over Manu, same reasoning as for Pau over Manu, but I just felt like prime Manu was clearly better than prime Parker, so on my personal list, I'd put Manu higher).

I wanted to put Manu over Tony, but considering his role as 6th man, I reneged. I do agree that Manu was better at his peak and more impactful whenever on the court than Parker, I just have problems with his length of said greatness, for lack of a better word. Wouldn't argue much if Manu was rated over Parker, though, since's it's a legitimate case...
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Jaivl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Just for the sake of it, my list:

10) Sabonis
9) Yao
8) Parker
7) Schrempf (hyper-underrated, 16 seasons under his belt)
6) Pau Gasol
5) Ginóbili
4) Mutombo
3) Nash
2) Dirk
1) Olajuwon
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#9 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Jaivl wrote:Just for the sake of it, my list:

10) Sabonis
9) Yao
8) Parker
7) Schrempf (hyper-underrated, 16 seasons under his belt)
6) Pau Gasol
5) Ginóbili
4) Mutombo
3) Nash
2) Dirk
1) Olajuwon

Forgot all about Deke. It's probably why I haven't came up with a list of my own.

Also: Where's Ewing? Is it that you don't consider him international? I'm not going to get into a huge debate about it, I'm just curious, that's all....
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Jaivl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Witzig-Okashi wrote:Also: Where's Ewing? Is it that you don't consider him international? I'm not going to get into a huge debate about it, I'm just curious, that's all....

Olajuwon became a US citizen at the age of 30, Ewing was an american citizen since he was born (if wikipedia is right lol)
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#11 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Witzig-Okashi wrote:Also: Where's Ewing? Is it that you don't consider him international? I'm not going to get into a huge debate about it, I'm just curious, that's all....

Olajuwon became a US citizen at the age of 30, Ewing was an american citizen since he was born (if wikipedia is right lol)

Just got off the Wikipedia site, and it said he became an American citizen while at Georgetown. Here the source that it used. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/03/sports/sports-of-the-times-basketball-surviving-quite-nicely.html?pagewanted=all

Just a misread, I presume. :)
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Jaivl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Witzig-Okashi wrote:Just a misread, I presume. :)

Nah, I used the spanish wiki lol

Ewing would be #4 in my list if counting him.
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie

Post#13 » by Witzig-Okashi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Witzig-Okashi wrote:Just a misread, I presume. :)

Nah, I used the spanish wiki lol

Ewing would be #4 in my list if counting him.

Lost in translation I suppose.....Say I can't blame it. Reading Spanish is OK for me at best, just need to get better at understanding while hearing it :)
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal

Return to Player Comparisons