The Kobe Bryant thread 2014-2015

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Re: The Kobe Bryant thread 2014-2015 

Post#21 » by Jaivl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

PaulieWal wrote:some on GB last night were expecting too much from him.

And on twitter...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AceRozaay/status/527183309743611904[/tweet]
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
RebelWithACause
Starter
And1: 537

Post#22 » by RebelWithACause » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Basketballefan wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:I see him getting around 22-24/5/5 ppg on middling efficiency (53-55 % TS), offensively probably still a Top15-20 player if he finds his groove. Like Jaivl said some vintage performances, but also some really dreadful outings.
Defense will be terrbile. There is a minor chance that he goes into total chuck mode because he hates losing and there is not another offensively capable player on the roster, in this case I could imagine 28/5/4 on below average efficiency.
Anything better and I will be pleasantly surprised, would really like to enjoy this farewell tour.

Now that Randle is gone, I hope that we suck ass though, which I think we will. I have the Lakers as one of the 5 worst teams in the league as of now, so I hope for Okafor, Mudiay, Towns, Oubre and Johnson. One of those would all be great building blocks with Randle and cap space in 2016.

Judging from last night i think your expectations of 22-24 5 5 on avg efficiency is too high.

Well, judging someone based on one game would be a foolish thing to do.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#23 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Greatness wrote:I thought he looked pretty bad. On offense I think almost all 17 of his shots were contested long two's. Held the ball to much and stagnated the offense. His defense was bad as well.

I agree with your opinion. What should Kobe do? Play more off the ball? Let Jeremy Lin run the offense? Try to be more of a playmaker? Let Boozer get more touches?

None of them seems to be ideal. I would give Lin a chance.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#24 » by JordansBulls » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Feel bad for him, 2006 Kobe would have a tough time making the playoffs on this squad.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,570

Post#25 » by mj234eva » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:54 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:His passing looked good but checking the stat sheet wouldn't tell you that. He made 2-3 really good passes

Only shot 51 TS but didn't take many what id call bad shots

?

He had TS% of .463.

6-17 7-8 free throws

Scored 19 pts

Isn't the formula

points * 100

2 ( FGA + ( .44* FTM ) )

Edit: numbers were off by a bit but I got

1900/40.16 = 47.3 TS

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

PTS/(2*(FGA+ (0.44*FTA)))

I usually just use this site:
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/pages/adv ... calculator
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#26 » by Basketballefan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:25 pm

RebelWithACause wrote:
Basketballefan wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:I see him getting around 22-24/5/5 ppg on middling efficiency (53-55 % TS), offensively probably still a Top15-20 player if he finds his groove. Like Jaivl said some vintage performances, but also some really dreadful outings.
Defense will be terrbile. There is a minor chance that he goes into total chuck mode because he hates losing and there is not another offensively capable player on the roster, in this case I could imagine 28/5/4 on below average efficiency.
Anything better and I will be pleasantly surprised, would really like to enjoy this farewell tour.

Now that Randle is gone, I hope that we suck ass though, which I think we will. I have the Lakers as one of the 5 worst teams in the league as of now, so I hope for Okafor, Mudiay, Towns, Oubre and Johnson. One of those would all be great building blocks with Randle and cap space in 2016.

Judging from last night i think your expectations of 22-24 5 5 on avg efficiency is too high.

Well wether its just one game or 30, i dont think your stat predictions are realistic.

He has a ton of miles on him coupled with injuries, father time is undefeated. You'll just have to deal with it.
Cpt Lebyadkin
Junior
And1: 59

Post#27 » by Cpt Lebyadkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Feel bad for him, 2006 Kobe would have a tough time making the playoffs on this squad.

As a fellow MJ fan, I am certain that you don't mean that! :lol:
RebelWithACause
Starter
And1: 537

Post#28 » by RebelWithACause » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Basketballefan wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:
Basketballefan wrote:Judging from last night i think your expectations of 22-24 5 5 on avg efficiency is too high.

Well wether its just one game or 30, i dont think your stat predictions are realistic.

He has a ton of miles on him coupled with injuries, father time is undefeated. You'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the heads up, I will try to deal with it now.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,535

Post#29 » by Greatness » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Greatness wrote:I thought he looked pretty bad. On offense I think almost all 17 of his shots were contested long two's. Held the ball to much and stagnated the offense. His defense was bad as well.

I agree with your opinion. What should Kobe do? Play more off the ball? Let Jeremy Lin run the offense? Try to be more of a playmaker? Let Boozer get more touches?

None of them seems to be ideal. I would give Lin a chance.

Not sure if there's any hope to be honest. Getting Young back will help but that team has very little difference makers on either end of the court. Doesn't help that their coach is a total moron.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#30 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 pm

mj234eva wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
?

He had TS% of .463.

6-17 7-8 free throws

Scored 19 pts

Isn't the formula

points * 100

2 ( FGA + ( .44* FTM ) )

Edit: numbers were off by a bit but I got

1900/40.16 = 47.3 TS

PTS/(2*(FGA+ (0.44*FTA)))

I usually just use this site:
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/pages/adv ... calculator

Yeah I mistakenly thought it was FT made instead of attempted.

Thanks

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#31 » by Jaivl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:48 am

Kemba Stephenson is shooting 6/24. Kobe is back.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#32 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 am

I'm not watching the Lakers but damn... Boozer is not a good defender, but he is capable on the other side of the court. He has 6 shots after 3 quarters. Jeremy Lin has 5. Kobe has 25 and a ton of FTs.

It really must be a pain in the ass to play with a guy that has the same FGA than the entire starting 5. How is anyone supposed to get it going? How is anyone else supposed to get motivation to defend?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#33 » by Senior » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:I'm not watching the Lakers but damn... Boozer is not a good defender, but he is capable on the other side of the court. He has 6 shots after 3 quarters. Jeremy Lin has 5. Kobe has 25 and a ton of FTs.

It really must be a pain in the ass to play with a guy that has the same FGA than the entire starting 5. How is anyone supposed to get it going? How is anyone else supposed to get motivation to defend?

Uh...Boozer has 8 TOs. It's not like he hasn't had the ball, he just hasn't been able to shoot it.

I don't get where this mindset of "well I don't get any shots so I'm just gonna be useless on defense" comes from. Does this actually happen? I didn't think anyone was that..selfish. Can you say anyone that actually does that? I mean I guess I understand more intensity on D after getting some easy buckets on O but not completely abandoning defense altogether. None of the Lakers are particularly good defenders anyway.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#34 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 am

Senior wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:I'm not watching the Lakers but damn... Boozer is not a good defender, but he is capable on the other side of the court. He has 6 shots after 3 quarters. Jeremy Lin has 5. Kobe has 25 and a ton of FTs.

Uh...Boozer has 8 TOs. It's not like he hasn't had the ball, he just hasn't been able to shoot it.

I don't get where this mindset of "well I don't get any shots so I'm just gonna be useless on defense" comes from. Does this actually happen? I didn't think anyone was that..selfish. Can you say anyone that actually does that? I mean I guess I understand more intensity on D after getting some easy buckets on O but not completely abandoning defense altogether. None of the Lakers are particularly good defenders anyway.

I'm not watching the game but good point on Boozer's TOs. Missed that in the boxscore.

Yes it happens on D. You said it yourself. I understand more intensity on D after getting some easy buckets on O. I said they wouldn't get motivation, didn't say they would be atrocious on purpose.
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#35 » by Senior » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Senior wrote:

I'm not watching the game but good point on Boozer's TOs. Missed that in the boxscore.

Yes it happens on D. You said it yourself. I understand more intensity on D after getting some easy buckets on O. I said they wouldn't get motivation, didn't say they would be atrocious on purpose.

What I mean is...how can you differentiate not having intensity because they don't get shots vs just not having defensive ability and being bad? There's some players where they can try all they want, they just don't have the instincts or athleticism to be quality defenders (like Boozer)
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#36 » by cyclix » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 am

Yeah, Kobes done.
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#37 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:00 am

31 on decent efficiency

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#38 » by Rob Diaz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:20 am

Meh, even on a pretty good scoring night, his style of play looks really antiquated.

Everything is long 2-pointers, taking 15 seconds off the shot clock while the rest of the team just watches him.

It's going to be painful to watch on nights where his shot is off, but it's cool to see that he still has some moves and the footwork at age 36, though.
Cpt Lebyadkin
Junior
And1: 59

Post#39 » by Cpt Lebyadkin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:26 am

RSCD3_ wrote:31 on decent efficiency

Sarcasm?

He was going 1 on 5 the entire game. Holding onto the ball most of the shot clock and practically dribbling into his team mates looking for an opening for himself.

In fairness to him, he was`a willing passer early in the game when double teamed. He made some spectacular passes which were botched by team mates. There after, he forced the issue no matter the coverage.

Overall, there were plenty of vintage Kobe moves. The crowd was oohing and aahing whenever he had the ball. He is still more than capable of putting on a show, and he is without doubt a far superior player to Wizards Jordan.

With the exception of him visibly huffing and puffing and breathing heavily in the first quarter (which is unusual for him), and his absolutely putrid defense (all time low for him, standing and watching, not running out to contest, giving up on plays) I didn't see a great drop off from his usual standard.

Due to age and minutes on a bad team, his numbers will naturally fall a little across the board, but he will definitely have some monster games throughout the season.
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#40 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:11 am

Cpt Lebyadkin wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:31 on decent efficiency

Sarcasm?

He was going 1 on 5 the entire game. Holding onto the ball most of the shot clock and practically dribbling into his team mates looking for an opening for himself.

In fairness to him, he was`a willing passer early in the game when double teamed. He made some spectacular passes which were botched by team mates. There after, he forced the issue no matter the coverage.

Overall, there were plenty of vintage Kobe moves. The crowd was oohing and aahing whenever he had the ball. He is still more than capable of putting on a show, and he is without doubt a far superior player to Wizards Jordan.

With the exception of him visibly huffing and puffing and breathing heavily in the first quarter (which is unusual for him), and his absolutely putrid defense (all time low for him, standing and watching, not running out to contest, giving up on plays) I didn't see a great drop off from his usual standard.

Due to age and minutes on a bad team, his numbers will naturally fall a little across the board, but he will definitely have some monster games throughout the season.

He had iirc 55 or 56 TS that's not hurting the team especially when boozer, the second option has 8 or so turnovers

Return to Player Comparisons