RealGM Top 100 List #67

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

RealGM Top 100 List #67 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 am

PG: Never been sold on Cousy but you have to consider him here. Nate Archibald and Penny Hardaway are the main short peak guys (anyone willing to argue Stephen Curry? :wink: ). Tim Hardaway and Mark Price are the best long peak guys left.

Wings: Sam Jones and Bill Sharman should get a look soon; Sharman has more accolades and is better for his day, but the 50s are far less competitive than the 60s. Billy Cunningham, Chet Walker, Bernard King, Glen Rice, Mitch Richmond, there are a lot of scorers out there, how many are at this level, I'm not sure.

Best bigs left: My favorite is Mel Daniels with his 2 ABA MVPs and 3 rings (2 as clearly the best player) -- played like Alonzo Mourning offensively and Moses defensively. Bill Walton and Connie Hawkins for short peak guys . . . in that order for me I would guess. Neil Johnston, Amare, Issel, Spencer Haywood have offensive creds but bigs who don't play defense are problematic for me. Ben Wallace, Nate Thurmond, or the Worm also could come up here as well as guys like DeBusschere, Bobby Jones, etc., even Zelmo Beaty and Yao Ming.

Tentatively leaning toward Sam Jones, Billy Cunningham, or Dennis Rodman here though can be convinced of Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Bobby Jones or Mel Daniels as well. With El Sid in, my vote is up for grabs again :D
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #67 

Post#2 » by ceiling raiser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:35 am

pen - How do you feel about Rodman's defense vs. Moncrief's?
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,267

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:25 am

Below is a statistical comparison of Cousy to the last four PG's voted in (though Iverson perhaps more of a SG). The most recently voted in was a full 10 places ago; the farthest one a whopping 28 places ago!?!

Spoiler:
Prime Per 100 Possessions (rs)
Cousy (‘52-’61)--697 rs games: 21.9 pts, 6.1 reb, 8.8 ast @ 44.9% TS% (-0.4% to league)
Isiah Thomas (‘83-92)--770 rs games: 26.1 pts, 4.9 reb, 12.6 ast, 2.6 stl, 0.4 blk, 4.9 tov @ 52.3% ts (-1.4% to league)
Kevin Johnson (‘89-’97)--599 rs games: 26.6 pts, 4.5 reb, 13.4 ast, 2.1 stl, 0.3 blk, 4.5 tov @ 59.0% ts (+5.4% to league)
Chauncey Billups (‘03-’11)--685 rs games: 27.0 pts, 5.0 reb, 9.6 ast, 1.7 stl, 0.3 blk, 3.4 tov @ 59.5% ts (+6.0% to league)
Allen Iverson ('99-'08)--673 rs games: 35.4 pts, 4.6 reb, 7.6 ast, 2.8 stl, 0.2 blk, 4.5 tov @ 51.8% ts (-0.7% to league)

Peak PER (rs)
Allen Iverson: 25.9
Kevin Johnson: 23.7
Chauncey Billups: 23.6
Isiah Thomas: 22.2
Bob Cousy: 21.7

Prime PER (rs)
Allen Iverson: 21.9
Kevin Johnson: 21.5
Chauncey Billups: 20.5
Bob Cousy: 20.1
Isiah Thomas: 18.9

Career PER (rs)
Allen Iverson: 20.9
Kevin Johnson: 20.7
Bob Cousy: 19.8
Chauncey Billups: 18.8
Isiah Thomas: 18.1

Prime PER (playoffs)
Allen Iverson: 21.2
Isiah Thomas: 19.8
Kevin Johnson: 19.6
Chauncey Billups: 19.6
Bob Cousy: 18.0

Peak WS/48 (rs)
Chauncey Billups: .257
Kevin Johnson: .220
Allen Iverson: .190
Bob Cousy: .178
Isiah Thomas: .173

Prime WS/48 (rs)
Chauncey Billups: .207
Kevin Johnson: .187
Allen Iverson: .139 (42.2 mpg)
Bob Cousy: .139 (37.4 mpg)
Isiah Thomas: .126

Career WS/48 (rs)
Kevin Johnson: .178
Chauncey Billups: .176
Bob Cousy: .139
Allen Iverson: .126
Isiah Thomas: .109

Prime WS/48 (playoffs)
Chauncey Billups: .197
Isiah Thomas: .143
Kevin Johnson: .124
Bob Cousy: .121
Allen Iverson: .109

Career rs WS
Chauncey Billups: 120.8
Allen Iverson: 99.0
Kevin Johnson: 92.8
Bob Cousy: 91.1
Isiah Thomas: 80.7

Career playoff WS
Chauncey Billups: 20.6
Isiah Thomas: 12.5
Kevin Johnson: 9.4
Bob Cousy: 9.1
Allen Iverson: 7.3

So while he doesn't necessarily rate out "well" among these guys, he does appear "in the mix". Although era considerations obviously apply. Still, this isn't comparing to players still on the table; these are all guys voted in some time ago (one as far back as 28 places ago!).

Here he is compared to a couple of the other perimeter players on the table presently (Sam Jones and Bill Sharman):
Spoiler:
Peak PER (rs)
Bob Cousy: 21.7 (41.5 mpg)
Sam Jones: 21.7 (32.2 mpg)
Bill Sharman: 19.8

Prime PER (rs)
Bob Cousy: 20.1
Sam Jones: 19.1
Bill Sharman ('53-'60): 18.3

Career PER (rs)
Bob Cousy: 19.8
Sam Jones: 18.7 (27.9 mpg--->this is a big factor to me)
Bill Sharman: 18.2

Prime PER (playoffs)
Bob Cousy: 18.0 (40.7 mpg)
Sam Jones: 18.0 (36.4 mpg)
Bill Sharman: 16.7

Peak WS/48 (rs)
Sam Jones: .222
Bill Sharman: .207
Bob Cousy: .178

Prime WS/48 (rs)
Sam Jones: .188
Bill Sharman: .181

Career WS/48 (rs)
Sam Jones: .182
Bill Sharman: .178

Prime WS/48 (playoffs)
Sam Jones: .170
Bill Sharman: .163
Bob Cousy: .121

Career rs WS
Sam Jones: 92.3
Bob Cousy: 91.1
Bill Sharman: 82.8

Career playoff WS
Sam Jones: 15.2
Bill Sharman: 9.3
Bob Cousy: 9.1

Again: certainly in the mix here.

Aside from the statistical data we have, Cousy's reputation among media and peers, combined with some team offense indicators, is such that I wonder if his effectiveness went beyond the boxscore. We saw this with Jason Kidd, did we not? Boxscore metrics for Kidd were not overly impressive, yet as Chuck Texas (and to a lesser degree myself) went far to explore, he consistently had a big (even huge) impact on team success. And where his shooting efficiency was poor---and consequently his ORtg often mediocre---RAPM indicates he had one of the highest offensive impacts in the league, pretty much year after year during his prime.

And I suspect the same may also be true of Cousy. As a couple of for instances, I'd note that he was the driving force behind three consecutive #1-rated offenses ('53-'55). And although their ORtg/offensive efficiency fell during the Russell era (even while Cousy was around), part of that was by design: see some of the links (in Moonbeam's post above) to comments/quotes fplii had previously provided, wrt sacrificing efficiency in exchange for greater pace or FGA/g. And though they were generally below average in ORtg, that pace often led to them leading the league in scoring. That they had any reasonable offense at all given Auerbach's de-emphasis of it is pretty impressive.
A quote from Michael Grange's Basketball's Greatest Players:

“.....Boston had only six plays and their fast break, but were the highest-scoring team of their era---and it was Cousy who made it work.”

And during Cousy's final two seasons as a Celtic ('62 and '63), their ORtg was -1.5 and -2.9 relative to league, respectively. The year after he left they dropped to -4.5 (and this wasn't even with sustaining the loss of a prime version of Cousy; this was an older dwindling version whose individual shooting efficiency was pretty lackluster).

The bullet-points of career accomplishment look pretty impressive for Cousy.
*Certainly one could argue that his MVP in '57 was not legitimately earned, and that maybe he shouldn't have been quite as high in the MVP voting other years as well. And that would hurt his standing in career MVP Award Shares (where he ranks #36 all-time, fwiw, and worth acknowledging that the award didn't even exist his first five seasons).
But MVP Award Shares aside, he also ranks #33 all-time in RealGM RPoY shares (and that despite omission of his first four seasons, and that this forum doesn't appear overly generous in their consideration of him---relative to "status quo"---given he's still on the table outside the top 65).

**And where other accolades are concerned----which are, to recap: 13-time All-Star (tied for 10th all-time), 12-time All-NBA (tied for 6th) including 10-time All-NBA 1st Team (tied for 3rd all-time)---you can scrutinize the competition, but it appears majority of these were legitimately earned or at the very least defensible. Certainly you can make comments to the effect of "yeah, but look at the competition" or "weak era"......but even weighting these very lightly due to era, this may still wind up being the most "weighty" list of accolade-related achievement left on the table.

***6-Time NBA champion. For at least 2 of those he was the clear 2nd-best player on the team, and was one other where he was at worst the "2B" on the team. Was never less than the 4th or 5th best/most important player on any of those championship squads. I'd like to quote something from John Taylor's The Rivalry regarding the Celtics dynasty and contributions by players NOT named Bill Russell. He was definitely the keystone for that team, though I think he too often gets credited for having carried them to 11 titles; and I think it gets overlooked just how lucky Russell was a to land where he did:

"…..But Auerbach’s inquiries left him with the impression that, however limited Russell might be in general, in the areas of his strengths he was overwhelming. Russell was not the answer to every coach’s prayers. But working with the players whose skills complemented and extended his and whose talents covered for his weaknesses---players, that is, like the Celtics--he could be the linchpin of an indomitable team…." (pg 64-65)

And lastly I will again bring up something which I think is inseparable from any discussion of "greatness": pioneering, and influence on the evolution of the game.
Cousy was doing things with the ball that nearly no one else was doing at the time (give a little props to Bob Davies and Marques Haynes, as previously discussed), and was certainly at least the most high-profile player doing them, as well as being the most successful at incorporating these techniques into being a highly effective player in the major pro league. In many ways he pioneered or established the classic point guard role. If I can again quote Michael Grange's book:

“When Chris Paul crosses over his man, drags the help defense with him and drops the ball behind him so his teammate can have the easy layup, he is paying tribute to Bob Cousy. It’s the same when Steve Nash looks right and passes left, hitting his teammate for a dunk, or when Rajon Rondo grabs a defensive rebound and sprints for the other end of the floor, leading the herd. They are all bowing to Bob Cousy, the NBA point guard who did it first.”

Cousy absolutely must be on the short-list of the most influential players in pro basketball history, and arguably (likely, imo) the most influential player we've yet to vote in. How much value should be attached to that is open for debate; but imo it absolutely is worth something.

To me, he represent the most weighty and worthy combination of talent, longevity, career accomplishment, and influence still not voted into our top 100.

My vote for #67: Bob Cousy.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 am

fpliii wrote:pen - How do you feel about Rodman's defense vs. Moncrief's?

If I want someone to shut down a scorer that scores out on the floor (shooter or slasher), at least up to about 6'7, I take Moncrief. Rodman is considerably better as a post man defender and his defensive rebounding is a significant edge as well. Assuming we are talking about a Rodman who is focused on playing defense; though even if not his rebounding edge is pretty monstrous. Who is being guarded?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:27 am

trex_8063 wrote:[. . .

Looking at him just as a potential contributor to a championship team and ignoring issues of pioneer and historical influence, how do you rate Cousy compared to Bill Sharman and Sam Jones (given proper training, equipment, and two years of quality era appropriate coaching and all 3 in their prime). . .

Playing in a 1955 era league?
Playing in a 1965 era league?
Playing in today's league?
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#6 » by ceiling raiser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:30 am

penbeast0 wrote:Who is being guarded?

Well let me give you a few matchups:

Isiah
Penny
Wade
TMac
Curry

Who would you take for each?
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
penbeast0

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:33 am

Moncrief for all of those pretty easily. On the other hand, if you are talking about Bird, LeBron, or Durant, I'd go with a focused Rodman.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:08 am

Thought I'd leave reply out until the #67 thread, since Bosh missed run-off.

Quotatious wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:Carter perhaps (though I don't think Bosh ever had a year quite as good as Carter was in '01; and Carter likely still has small longevity edge), but I'm less convinced he was as good (at least with any consistency) as Pau or Billups. Yes, in his prime years in Toronto you could basically book him to avg ~22-24 ppg/10 rpg on decent efficiency. But aside from him, those were crap teams; so he was shouldering a huge load. Look what happened when he went to Miami as part of the Big 3: he quite suddenly became an 18.7/8.3 player in '11. And it's not that he declined at all that year; it's just that it was no longer required of him. Those numbers would trickle down yearly until he was avg just 16.2/6.6 last year. He never saw a PER north of 20 during those four seasons.

Accepting a (much) smaller role had a ton to do with that, but I actually look at it as a positive accomplishment for Bosh - he sacrificed his own numbers for the greater good which allowed Miami to win two titles. Stats like PER are high on volume scoring, so it's not really a surprise that it went down in Miami.

I think that peak Bosh was very close to peak Carter. Would probably give Vince a slight edge, but it's close.
trex_8063 wrote:Then Lebron left.....Miami is once again mediocre and a lot more is once again being asked of him. So although he avg 16.2/6.6 (PER 19) last year, he's bounced up to 21.6/8.2 (PER 22.4) this season.

Point I'm making is that Bosh is the caliber of player who could avg those big numbers ("near superstar", as you noted) on bad/mediocre teams only. Pau and Billups both put up "near superstar" (PER in the 21-24 range, WS/48 north of .200) for contenders.

I think it's situational more than anything else. Billups and Gasol were #2 options on offense (Chauncey was even #1 pretty often, and really more like 1A/1B with Hamilton in Detroit), Bosh was a (distant) #3 after two ball dominant perimeter players like LeBron and Wade. Actually, Bosh's skillset was IMO perfectly suited for a #2, even more so than #3.

I agree it's a bit situational. And if instead of Bosh it had been either Pau or Chauncey who joined Wade/Lebron in Miami, they'd have been the third-best player on the team, too. I guess what I'm saying is that (imo) Bosh is less likely to be a #2 on a contender than Pau, and potentially Chauncey as well. Or perhaps the better way to state it is that a team in which Bosh is the #2 player is less likely to be a contender than a team that has Pau or Chauncey as the #2.
Additionally, I think it's less likely that peak Pau or peak Chauncey would ever find themselves as a---as you said---"distant #3" on a team.

Here's how I see Bosh vs. Pau:
Though Gasol is obviously a bit better rim-protector, I don't know that that makes him a better defender than Bosh. Bosh is a pretty consistently hard-nosed post defender, imo, and his better lateral quickness makes him more effective in hedging and recovering against the high pick-n-rolls, or if caught on a switch. Overall, I'd probably give a small edge to Bosh defensively.

Other than that, about the only thing I think Bosh is better at is the long-ball and mid-range (16-23 ft) shooting. And to be fair, the 3ball is something that Bosh only developed in the last few years as he slips into post-prime. And where the above-indicated mid-range is concerned, Pau isn't exactly a slouch himself for a big man; Bosh is about 3-4% better from that range (significant, but not a huge gap).
Bosh is a marginally better FT-shooter, and perhaps marginally better at getting to the line, too. And yet he's marginally worse in ts% for both career and peak. The reason is that Bosh is so much more reliant on his mid-range game (which is simply a lower% shot).

Pau, otoh, has a MUCH more refined low-post repertoire than Bosh. And everywhere inside 16 feet, it's Pau who is at least marginally more accurate and effective. And he's a much better post passer, too. I've been saying for years (not here, but to one or two people I know personally whom I occasionally discuss hoops with) that Pau---with the possible exception of Tim Duncan---is the most offensively skilled big-man in the game. If he had some Dwight Howard-esque level of athleticism to go with all those skills....mercy!
And Gasol's a somewhat better rebounder, as well.

In a nut-shell, I rate it like so:
Defense: small edge Bosh
Offense: small edge Gasol
Rebounding: small edge Gasol

Overall, I rate Gasol as the better player, albeit by a very thin margin. And then Gasol also has two additional seasons to his credit, and he came into the league a more fully-formed player than Bosh, too. Thus (speaking for myself), I'd have at least ~15 places separating them on my ATL (and fwiw, Pau went marginally early for my tastes).

Vs. Chauncey is a somewhat more difficult comparison (differing positions).
Peak Bosh (would you agree Bosh in 2011 was more or less at his peak?) in Miami delivered: 18.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.8 tov @ 56.9% ts with pretty decent defense (noting above what he's good at, even if he doesn't get many steals/blocks).
Suppose instead of a peak Bosh coming to Miami, it had been a peak Chauncey Billups. I suspect Chauncey may have given 16-17 ppg, 5-6 apg, likely with only ~2.0 tov (he only avg 2.0-2.4 tov during his 1A/1B years in Detroit) @ ~61% ts. So who's the more effective offensive player there? I would suggest it's probably Chauncey by a slim margin. And certain peak/prime Chauncey was no slouch defensively, either. Obv Bosh gets more rebounds, though that's a positional and to be expected. One could argue that Billups' assist edge is positional and expected, too, though. I will say that Bosh's rebounding---being only a slightly above average rebounding PF/C---is something that is more easily replaceable than Chauncey's offense, perimeter D, not to mention his leadership intangibles.

So, again: it's hard to compare because they don't play the same position. But I'd be inclined to say peak Chauncey was a little better player than peak Bosh (by very small margin). And where ATL's are concerned, Billups obv has a longevity edge at this point, too; so once again, I'd have at least something in the range of 10-13 places separating them.

Quotatious wrote: I've always wondered how good the 2011 Heat would've been with Wade/Bosh duo, without LeBron. 2011 Wade was still a great #1 option, and a top 3 overall talent in the NBA, and Bosh was coming off his career-best year in the summer of '10 - it seemed like a pretty promising tandem.

Spoelstra always praised Bosh for accepting his role and even called him "the most important player on this team", saying that CB easily could've been a #2 option, but it would force him (Spo) to change his team's gameplan rather drastically, and it wasn't worth it. Basically, incorporating LeBron's, Wade's and Bosh's offensive skillset with each of them averaging their usual numbers (I mean, pre 2010-11), was impossible. Someone had to accept a more limited role (and Wade's deteriorating health after 2011 made the hierarchy on that team even more clear, with LeBron being a clear-cut lead dog, Wade #2, Bosh #3). The fact that Wade was already a Heat legend when Bosh joined, certainly was a factor in terms of their roles, their playing ability wasn't the only thing that mattered.

I see no reason why 2011 Wade/Bosh couldn't have been as good as 2008-10 Kobe/Pau, and Bosh IMO clearly had what it takes to at least match Pau's success with the Lakers (considering that IMO Toronto Bosh > Memphis Pau, and when Bosh signed with Miami, he was slightly younger than Gasol, when he joined to the Lakers).

idk.....yeah, maybe Wade/Bosh could have been as good as '08-'10 Kobe/Gasol for like one season ('11); Wade was on a trickle-down, year-by-year, though (apparently Bosh too, for that matter, albeit to a smaller degree). So they'd have been decidedly less than Kobe/Gasol by '12.
But no way the Heat with Wade/Bosh (sans Lebron) would be as good as those Laker teams. They'd need a third guy as all-around solid as Lamar Odom (Mario Chalmers or Udonis Haslem is not gonna cut it as the third-best player), and a generally better supporting cast to seriously contend.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#9 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:04 am

Bigs: Nate Thurmond, Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman

Wings: Penny Hardaway, Hal Greer, Bernard King, Billy Cunningham, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones

Point Guards: Nate Archibald, Deron Williams, Mark Price

I'm not impressed with Tim Hardaway's stats. How good of a defender was he though? If he's anything like prime Baron Davis defensively, I'll consider him, too. But if not, it's over for him...over. :lol:

Penny has the best peak left (Walton doesn't count for me...I really don't think he'll make my top-100...he's basically got 2 years, 1 as a a GOAT bench player, the other with a legit awesome peak, but one that gets overrated because people don't understand how awesome Portland as a team was). Penny is one of the great post players in NBA history and had tremendous creative vision along with a jump shot he could get off at any time because of his height + craftiness.

Really looking at Archibald and Greer here. Obviously Thurmond as well, but I've soured a bit on his offense I guess. Archibald had an insane offensive peak — basically McAdoo for PGs in the 1970s — and then played an even more prominent role on successful 1980s Boston teams than McAdoo did on 1980s Lakers.

Greer was the second best player on perhaps the GOAT team. Excellent combo guard with shooting range and more playmaking ability than his contemporary, Sam Jones.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:22 am

penbeast0 wrote:

Looking at him just as a potential contributor to a championship team and ignoring issues of pioneer and historical influence, how do you rate Cousy compared to Bill Sharman and Sam Jones (given proper training, equipment, and two years of quality era appropriate coaching and all 3 in their prime). . .

Ew, I'll be honest: I HATE what many refer to as the "time machine method", where you pluck him (in this case, 1950's/born 1928-version of Bob Cousy) up and drop him into a different time. Offering two years adjustment period doesn't cut it either, imo; "oh hey, we'll give you two years training...." as though that's supposed to replace a LIFETIME of playing era-specific ball. If I'm era translating, I assume they were born in a different time, and thus have the whole lifetime of context/training/etc.

And fwiw, speculating on era portability is not a huge part of my criteria (you should remember how much I argued against making it a huge part of one's criteria, because of the high degree of arbitration and noise inherent).

But since you asked, I think Jones translates the best to future eras. I can elaborate if you wish. In a nut-shell, he has the body/frame and skill-set that best translates to being a potentially elite (or at least very good) player in a modern setting.

Between Cousy and Sharman, it's closer, but I somewhat lean Cousy, as he's got handles, vision, precision-passing, and transition wizardry that are great by any era's standards. Tendency toward solid rebounding for his size, too. I'd like to think that he'd better develop his outside shot in an era with a 3pt line, but obv no one can know; though I don't know that it would be 100% necessary in order to have a decent NBA career in the modern game. Jason Williams couldn't shoot either, but he had an OK career. I think at the very least Cousy could have been a better rebounding version of J.Williams (well, with better decision-making, too) in a modern context. I'd like to think he'd be at least a marginally better shooter, too.

Sharman, otoh, could basically do one thing: shoot. Scrappy defender, too, I'll give him that. But at his size, let's face it: he's not going to be an elite or even good perimeter defender in any era outside the 1950's. And he really just didn't have much else to his game; and 6'1"-6'2" is not exactly ideal in a SG these days, either. I could see him having a Steve Kerr-esque career in a modern context. I think that's more or less his ceiling in the modern league.

Remove the "pioneering" aspect......I think I'd still have Cousy ahead of Sharman. I just think he was the better all-around player, who had much more required of him than did Sharman, had more in the way of career achievement, and has a small longevity edge, as well. Not entirely sure if I'd have him ahead of Sam Jones without, though; possibly not. I didn't used to be too high on Sam Jones, but I'm coming to feel I've underrated him; so Jones is somewhat in flux on my ATL these days.

penbeast0

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:07 am

I put the modern league one in for those who value era portability; you know it's not high on my list either though era strength certainly is. My problems with Cousy are (a) his defense and efficiency isues, his playmaking should not be in question and (b) his terrible playoff performances throughout the Russell era. The 60s were a major step up from the 50s; a 50s star for me has to REALLY stand out (Mikan) or show the ability to dominate into the tougher era (Pettit, Baylor) for me to support him over a 60s or later era star. If anyone left really stands out statistically, it's Neil Johnston or Bob Cousy; Cousy didn't seem that effective into the 60s for me to assume his game could adapt the way Pettit's did, so it's about the era domination. I am just not sold on it here though I might still rate him over Price or Hardaway as the best point guard left. Too many questions for me at this point still but I'm open to listening.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Post#12 » by Owly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 am

On some topics raised

In defense of Sharman: Sharman was the best shooter in his day, was committed to conditioning, was considered a rugged defender and might have had the best basketball mind on those teams (I'm saying might, I know people like Russell. Heinsohn was, so far as I can tell, a good man-management coach, Cousy not a great pro coach. Russell won with a system and players in place, and didn't without those things. Sharman won titles everywhere (ABL, ABA, NBA), wrote coaching books with John Wooden, and shooting textbooks by himself. If we are placing him in a time machine I'd lean that he (1) specialises in basketball sooner, (2) more than any other player from his era benefits from the three ball (he's high bbiq, the best shooter, a two guard, has awarness of different releases - so could adapt to different range - and elite conditioning to run his man through picks). He's small but athletic and if you figure he has a problem translating eras on D wouldn't that be a bigger problem for Cousy (admittedly it's hard to get a reliable gauge on his D, or anyones from that era really, but certainly people now seem more cynical on his defense. I don't know ...).

He's his era's Reggie with better D, better conditioning, and more winning (on a better team) and he's the best at his position at the time, but in weaker era (and shorter).

On best peak remaining, boxscore wise: Penny was mentioned and PG's tend to be punished slightly by boxscore metrics so maybe. Other contenders would be Amar'e (probably the best boxscore, but crummy D); Neil Johnston (very close with STAT on boxscore and maintained it, but team success and era an issue), Walt Bellamy (see Johnston and STAT, era less of an issue, but position still perhaps, maybe had a weak low end of starters when peaked and peak less well maintained), Terrell Brandon (and as with Penny the PG point applies, seriously check his advanced metrics or Per100 numbers for '96), Elton Brand (my guy for the last spot, maybe again, overlooked because of other greats including other great PFs peaking at around the same time in the same conference), Ed Macauley (large defense and era concerns), Sabonis (yes, really, per minute in '96 he was a beast, better than Ewing at that point for instance). Then the next names that come up are Foust, K Love, Gallatin (then Penny), Yao, King, J Drew, Brandon Roy and then Walton.

On Greer: Pretty cynical based on the metrics. Admittedly two guards at that time weren't in a position to put up elite metrics but still, he just looks too pedestrian. Then too Wilt gets mega-heat for playoff failures with all attention on him, look at Greers playoff numbers (look at what he does without Wilt). Maybe he's just a victim of era and not having a defining moment or mental image to hang his hat on, I don't know but I'm more skeptical here.

On Bosh: I'd agree that he's not too far off Gasol (and as Gasol hasn't fully been Gasol for a couple of years the longevity gap is narrowing, though Gasol came into the league already very good, more so than Bosh), but I'd ask what sets him apart from Brand? How do those two compare? Going to a different era how does he (or they) compare with Nance?
penbeast0

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Owly wrote: . . . I'd ask what sets him apart from Brand? How do those two compare? Going to a different era how does he (or they) compare with Nance?

How do you see Brand comparing with Mel Daniels? Clearly Daniels played in a much weaker league but it was stronger than the 50s of Neil Johnston and 2 MVPs make at least an argument that he should be in the conversation? For Nance, how does he compare to Shawn Marion or James Worthy?
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Owly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:49 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Owly wrote: . . . I'd ask what sets him apart from Brand? How do those two compare? Going to a different era how does he (or they) compare with Nance?

How do you see Brand comparing with Mel Daniels? Clearly Daniels played in a much weaker league but it was stronger than the 50s of Neil Johnston and 2 MVPs make at least an argument that he should be in the conversation? For Nance, how does he compare to Shawn Marion or James Worthy?

I'd feel more comfortable on Daniels if he had some quality NBA years. Obviously that wasn't going to happen at the tail end of his career as it actually happened (injuries had finished him off by then), but if he'd proved himself NBA wise first or something. I don't know, just between the lack of competition and the fact he wasn't boxscore dominant to anywhere near the extent of Hawkins or Haywood (more like a Beaty, arguably slightly worse, largely due to unimpressive fg%). Off the top of my head the impression is of a good (Pacers' best) but unexceptional defender (and looking at team level stuff they seem to bounce between good and average year to year). From the looks of things, to me, it looks like a good team, rather than singular superstar and a supporting cast. Factoring in D, he'd probably be the most important player for two of the titles, but Brown might not be far off and Netolicky and Keller look useful pieces, later McGinnis, Hillman (to a lesser degree Mount) etc plus a good coach and the team may have been fortunate to collar 3 titles. Hmm just my skepticism about the center position in the ABA up to say '71 (plucked off the top of my head, based on Gilmore) and the fact that he didn't do it in the NBA and a shortish career, I just think he needs the benefit of the doubt about too many things. I've mentioned previously that Beaty, has longevity and NBA productivity on him and seems to me roughly as good in the ABA, the other issue Beaty raises is Beaty's fg% flew up from his last year in the NBA (and his NBA career in general) to his first in the ABA (and to a slightly lesser degree, the ABA in general), and that can't bode well for him. As I say if he'd had a couple of years in Cincinatti first, I'd be more comfortable. It's hard to compare fairly because where does Daniels rank amongst pro centers in the early 70s, possibly the best in his league but he's not facing Jabbar, Chamberlain, Cowens, Unseld, Reed (when healthy) or Lanier. Brand maybe doesn't move your title odds as much simply because he's playing in 29-30 rather than 10-11 team league. But could he be a nice 2nd banana on perrenial contender (a la Gasol) or a leading part of a deep ensemble contender (a la Billups, from a different position)? I think so.

Shorter response on the rest because (my) time is limited. Nance versus Marion versus worthy is tough. On Nance versus Marion I could go either way but think Nance might have maintained a high standard for a bit longer. Worthy has had a wide range on listing depending on whether people go in big for a big college career, titles, FMVP and the whole Big Game James thing (some people argue for him above McHale). Personally I don't. So whilst aesthetically I like Worthy's game, I'm not a huge playoff weighter (plus going through the West in the 80s wasn't a huge deal) and the RS numbers aren't exactly going to blow you away. He was very good at his role (whether this was a role that limited him could perhaps be debated), but it was a limited role. Efficient, high-ish volume scoring (how his efficiency fell off without Magic is a red flag), but what else? Not a rebounder (on a team where boards were available - it could be argued his role was to get out and run the lanes on the defensive board - but then that raises the question of how many points were spoonfed fast breaks). A solid defender for his position and time (and sometimes pressed into defending guards) but not really noteworthy. The numbers suggest McHale is the closer comp for Nance and whilst he doesn't have the peak, or the defensive accolades, I'm not sure that there's that much else to split them on.
Sports Realist
Junior
And1: 188

Post#15 » by Sports Realist » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:23 pm

I can't seem to PM ThaRegul8r... so I'm sorry for saying this here.

But I wanted to ask him/you, about your criteria (10 steps or something like that), it was really in detail about how to evaluate a player.... I saved it somewhere but can't find it / lost it.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#16 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:01 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Ew, I'll be honest: I HATE what many refer to as the "time machine method", where you pluck him (in this case, 1950's/born 1928-version of Bob Cousy) up and drop him into a different time. Offering two years adjustment period doesn't cut it either, imo; "oh hey, we'll give you two years training...." as though that's supposed to replace a LIFETIME of playing era-specific ball. If I'm era translating, I assume they were born in a different time, and thus have the whole lifetime of context/training/etc.

And fwiw, speculating on era portability is not a huge part of my criteria (you should remember how much I argued against making it a huge part of one's criteria, because of the high degree of arbitration and noise inherent).

But since you asked, I think Jones translates the best to future eras. I can elaborate if you wish. In a nut-shell, he has the body/frame and skill-set that best translates to being a potentially elite (or at least very good) player in a modern setting.

Between Cousy and Sharman, it's closer, but I somewhat lean Cousy, as he's got handles, vision, precision-passing, and transition wizardry that are great by any era's standards. Tendency toward solid rebounding for his size, too. I'd like to think that he'd better develop his outside shot in an era with a 3pt line, but obv no one can know; though I don't know that it would be 100% necessary in order to have a decent NBA career in the modern game. Jason Williams couldn't shoot either, but he had an OK career. I think at the very least Cousy could have been a better rebounding version of J.Williams (well, with better decision-making, too) in a modern context. I'd like to think he'd be at least a marginally better shooter, too.

Sharman, otoh, could basically do one thing: shoot. Scrappy defender, too, I'll give him that. But at his size, let's face it: he's not going to be an elite or even good perimeter defender in any era outside the 1950's. And he really just didn't have much else to his game; and 6'1"-6'2" is not exactly ideal in a SG these days, either. I could see him having a Steve Kerr-esque career in a modern context. I think that's more or less his ceiling in the modern league.

Remove the "pioneering" aspect......I think I'd still have Cousy ahead of Sharman. I just think he was the better all-around player, who had much more required of him than did Sharman, had more in the way of career achievement, and has a small longevity edge, as well. Not entirely sure if I'd have him ahead of Sam Jones without, though; possibly not. I didn't used to be too high on Sam Jones, but I'm coming to feel I've underrated him; so Jones is somewhat in flux on my ATL these days.

I don't think Sharman should make a top 200 list. He is a 6' 1" off guard shooting specialist who does not shoot well.

I advocate time for time machine method because otherwise what are you comparing? Why not compare dominant players from a polish pro league with NBA players based on how dominant they were in their own leagues?

The quality of players has changed. the rules have changed. If I could bring all the back up off guards from the 2014 NBA into Sharman's era and give them a year to adjust to the rules then Sharman may not even make an NBA roster in his own era.

If you are going to shoot 42% for your career against inferior defenders from the past you just are not that good.

Sharman is not like KC Jones who might be an above average defensively vs modern players.

Sam Jones had made some adjustments to shooting against decent defenses. Sam Jones took a lot of shots that he could still get in the modern era. I don't know that the same is true for Sharman. Sam Jones had a better fg % than Sharman.

Cousy's talent is harder to measure. Assists may not have been awarded as often in his time as they are now. Cousy was an innovator who may have changed the game. Sharman was not an innovator.

I cut Iverson some slack on his shooting percentage because Iverson was the primary option, the focal point of the defense, and the man who created the chaos that his teammates used to get easier shots. Sharman was never the primary option to the same degree that Iverson was. Sharman was not the focal point of opposing defenses. Sharman did not create chaos in opposing defenses. I don't think we should cut Sharman any slack for his shooting percentage.

Players did not shoot well in Sharman's era but that was not because of good defense but rather that was despite bad defense. The defense that Sharman faced was inferior defense and he still shot poorly.

In my opinion Sharmin has no business being on even a top 200 list.
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Owly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:45 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

I don't think Sharman should make a top 200 list. He is a 6' 1" off guard shooting specialist who does not shoot well.

I advocate time for time machine method because otherwise what are you comparing. Why not compare dominant players from a polish pro league with NBA players based on how dominant they were in their own leagues?

The quality of players has changed. the rules have changed. If I could bring all the back up off guards from the 2014 NBA into Sharman's era and give them a year to adjust to the rules then Sharman may not even make an NBA roster in his own era.

If you are going to shoot 42% for your career against inferior defenders from the past you just are not that good.

Sharman somebody not like KC Jones who might be above average defensively vs modern players.

Sam Jones had made some adjustments to shooting against decent defenses. Sam Jones took a lot of shots that he could still get in the modern era. I don't know that the same is true for Sharman. Sam Jones had a better fg % than Sharman.

Cousy's talent is harder to measure. Assists may not have been awarded as often in his time as they are now. Cousy was an innovator who may have changed the game. Sharman was not an innovator.

I cut Iverson some slack on his shooting percentage because Iverson was the primary option, the focal point of the defense, and the man who created the chaos that his teammates used to get easier shots. Sharman was never the primary option to the same degree that Iverson was. Sharman was not the focal point of opposing defenses. Sharman did not create chaos in opposing defenses. I don't think we should cut Sharman any slack for his shooting percentage.

Players did not shoot well in Sharman's era but that was not because of good defense but rather that was despite bad defense. The defense that Sharman faced was inferior defense and he still shot poorly.

In my opinion Sharmin has no business being on even a top 200 list.

Methodological qualms aside (because such debates belong in the meta-thread, and because issues with direct time travel arguments - such as posited here - have already been thouroughly covered), as has been discussed I'm not sure Cousy was a pioneer in the sense of inventing much (not sure about anything), just being effective with such moves or popularising them in competitive basketball (and even then Bob Davies was a very effective player (an NBL MVP, when the NBL was the superior league). Insofar as innovation is being used to include early adaptation and perhaps improvement of techniques, I'd be surprised to hear if there was a lot of single handed release (other hand only supporting) shooters as effective as Sharman (career RS FT% 88.3% - 11th all time; playoff FT% 91.1% -3rd all-time with as many attempts as Price (1st) and Murphy (2nd) combined; combined RS and playoff ft% 88.6%) prior to or around his time. That's leaving aside stuff like shootarounds which he was doing in his playing days (see, for instance http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... layer.html)
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:50 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I put the modern league one in for those who value era portability; you know it's not high on my list either, though era strength certainly is.

Fair enough. And (to those who do value it a lot): it's not that it isn't an important question; it's just that the answer is so damn noisy. You might, for instance, have two guys discussing the same 1950's player and how he would translate forward, with one thinking he would be an All-Star in the modern game, and the other thinking he wouldn't even be a decent college player. And we wouldn't be able to say who's right, because it's all hypothetical conjecture. There is no real quality control on the result, and the margin for error is massive. That's why I still argue it should not comprise a BIG portion of one's criteria.

But if you are to use it, yeah: the one year or two years of training allowed for "adjustment" to a new era with the "time machine" method is little more than a gesture to give the impression of fairness. It simply would not replace a lifetime of context/training/coaching/practice; it just wouldn't. If one is going to speculate on portability in a different era, one really needs to get his brain thinking in terms of assuming the player was born/raised in that time, and thinking hard on what was available (or not available) in that era. Thus, if moving an old player forward in time, assume he was born later and privy to all of the advances/advantages therein. Alternately, if moving a guy backwards thru time (because era portability goes both ways, and I think a lot of people lose sight of that), assume he was born/raised in that time, and allowed only the circumstances, coaching/training/mentoring/etc that was available at that time, and how that might affect his game.

I too mostly think in turns of era strength. Perhaps I'm just not judging the 50's as harshly as you.
Though as I implied in my original ballot post above, Cousy's career accomplishment is arguably the largest left on the table even if you weight them very lightly due to strength of era. For instance, you could take every honor/award/accolade/title (with consideration of his role on each title team) or finals appearance/other misc achievement (like being at the helm of three #1 offenses, leading league in assists, etc) and only weight it at HALF the value you would give to the same achievement today......and he's still likely got the highest career achievement mark of anyone left.

penbeast0 wrote:My problems with Cousy are (a) his defense and efficiency isues, his playmaking should not be in question and (b) his terrible playoff performances throughout the Russell era. The 60s were a major step up from the 50s; a 50s star for me has to REALLY stand out (Mikan) or show the ability to dominate into the tougher era (Pettit, Baylor) for me to support him over a 60s or later era star. If anyone left really stands out statistically, it's Neil Johnston or Bob Cousy; Cousy didn't seem that effective into the 60s for me to assume his game could adapt the way Pettit's did, so it's about the era domination. I am just not sold on it here though I might still rate him over Price or Hardaway as the best point guard left. Too many questions for me at this point still but I'm open to listening.

I'm glad you're willing to listen.
wrt shooting efficiency.....

1) I'll copy the gist of something I'd written back in the #64 thread regarding shooting efficiency in these early eras. I'd written it in defense of Nate Thurmond's poor shooting efficiency, but ironically cited some early 60's Celtics observations as example. I've made minor augmentations for the context here:

I tend to be a bit more forgiving of guys from (approximately) pre-1970. Frankly, it seems that shooting efficiency was scarcely on the radar of coaching/management during the insane-paced late 1950's and 1960's.

Just as an example.....
Had been watching or re-watching the '62 and '63 finals, and noted some of the awful shot-selection of the Boston Celtics (READ: this is the best team in the land at the time). The sequences that stand out in my mind were Tom Sanders taking these awkward (even childish-looking) set-shots from ~20 feet from the rim. I KNOW Satch can't hit those more often than 36-38% of the time (if even that), and it's not like these were bail-out shots: there were 9-14 seconds left on the shot-clock in all instances I'm remembering. So this is very poor shot-selection, even by the standards of the time; and again, this by the best team in the land. It underscores my point that in this era, the whole philosophy of "take your time and find a good shot" was just not really in the strategic lexicon. This was the time of simply trying to outpace the opponent, particularly with the Russell Celtics (*more on that in #2 below). As far as I can tell (from the combine of eye-test, pace standards, and ts% standards), emphasis on shot-selection really wasn't well-underway until somewhere in the early 70's.

2) Taking the philosophy of the Russell Celtics a bit further, poor efficiency was to some degree by design. I'd encourage people to read what fplii had posted elsewhere on this topic:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=42005807#p42005807

It's interesting to note (perhaps suggestive), too, that Cousy's decline in relative ts% coincides pretty simultaneously with this pace-driven trend, where "bad shots" are essentially encouraged (though I won't pretend there are not other potential factors). Anyway, here is his ts% relative to league avg by year:

'51: -1.26%
'52: +0.65%
'53: +0.06%
'54: +2.12%
'55: +2.47%
'56: +0.30%
'57: +0.28%
'58: -3.40%
'59: -0.38%
'60: -2.47%
'61: -3.36%
'62: -3.61%
'63: -4.44%

Now one might ask, "why don't we see Sharman's shooting efficiency suffer?" Well, in truth, we do; his shooting efficiency takes a dip (of similar proportion) around the same time. Here is his relative ts% by year:

'51: +1.34%
'52: +2.65%
'53: +7.56%
'54: +8.86%
'55: +5.31%
'56: +5.04%
'57: +4.60%
'58: +3.57%
'59: +1.89%
'60: +4.29%
'61: +1.46%

So one's second question might be, "how do we account for his generally much higher shooting efficiency?" imo, two ways: 1) He was a better shooter. If there's one thing Sharman did better than Cousy (or pretty much anyone else in that era, for that matter), it's shooting. And 2) He largely didn't have to create for himself, shoot off the dribble, or otherwise take many heavily-contested and difficult shots. His job was to get open and then hit those open---mostly open set-shots or "modified set-shots"---shots (which he did very well). But he was essentially feeding on what the rest of the offense (such as it was) could get him.
Most principally, he was feeding on what Cousy could make for him. Just as we see the shooting efficiencies of Shawn Marion, Stoudemire, Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa, etc, ALL hit their highest ts% (in some instances by far) during the years playing next to a peak Steve Nash, I suspect Sharman was similarly a benefactor of likely the best play-maker of his era.
That's not to say Sharman wouldn't have been an effective and successful shooter/scorer in another setting; but I think he was fortunate to play essentially his entire career alongside Cousy.

wrt adapting to the 60's.....
I have four schools of thought wrt his decline as he went into the 60's:
1) Maybe (as you try to imply) he couldn't.
2) Maybe he could, but simply didn't out of inertia. Maybe inwardly he figured "I've had a great deal of success (titles, MVP's, etc) doing things the way I've always done them, and hey: I'm still a pretty good player doing it this way....so why change?"
3) Maybe he could and was in the process, but was a touch behind the curve in adapting (perhaps for reasons stated in #2); and just needed more time than age allowed (relates to one of my issues with the "time machine" method, fwiw); which brings me to #4......
4) Maybe he could/was adapting just fine, but his body was simply in decline. He was 31 years old going INTO the 1959-60 season, after all. A lot of guys are fading by that point, even guys with largely skill-based (as opposed to athleticism-based) games: Tim Duncan was beginning to fade a little by that time; Dirk would begin to fade by 32 or so; Pau began to fade around age 31; Louie Dampier around 31 or so; happened a bit later for guys like Nash and Stockton, but even they declined beginning around 34-35. Guys more reliant on their physical attributes typically begin to fade even earlier.

wrt to defense.....
Where does this forum's concern for Cousy's defense come from? The reviews I've read of his defense ranges from neutral to good; don't think I've ever read anything to indicate it was poor. And based on the eye-test from the games I've watched, the effort is there on the defensive end. He seemed to have decent anticipation in going for steals, too. So why the big concerns?

Owly wrote:On some topics raised

In defense of Sharman: Sharman was the best shooter in his day, was committed to conditioning, was considered a rugged defender and might have had the best basketball mind on those teams (I'm saying might, I know people like Russell. Heinsohn was, so far as I can tell, a good man-management coach, Cousy not a great pro coach. Russell won with a system and players in place, and didn't without those things. Sharman won titles everywhere (ABL, ABA, NBA), wrote coaching books with John Wooden, and shooting textbooks by himself. If we are placing him in a time machine I'd lean that he (1) specialises in basketball sooner, (2) more than any other player from his era benefits from the three ball (he's high bbiq, the best shooter, a two guard, has awarness of different releases - so could adapt to different range - and elite conditioning to run his man through picks). He's small but athletic and if you figure he has a problem translating eras on D wouldn't that be a bigger problem for Cousy (admittedly it's hard to get a reliable gauge on his D, or anyones from that era really, but certainly people now seem more cynical on his defense. I don't know ...).

He's his era's Reggie with better D, better conditioning, and more winning (on a better team) and he's the best at his position at the time, but in weaker era (and shorter).

I would contest the notion that he was better conditioned than Reggie, but anyway....
Both Cousy and Sharman were listed as 6'1". Figuring with modern footwear and heights listed in shoes today, they'd be listed at 6'2". I don't see the height factor being too much of an issue for Cousy, who will obv be playing PG and PG only. Even today, the avg PG height is still barely 6'3". Sharman, otoh (as you noted), is a SG. 6'2" is small for a SG. That could be a problem for him in a modern context, when the avg SG is about 6'6". That's a big length advantage they'll have in contesting his shots (reducing his offensive effectiveness as a modern SG), and a big length disadvantage he'll have in contesting theirs (not to mention he might get abused in the post). That's not to say that he necessarily HAS to guard the apposing SG; but if he's on the court with a more traditional-sized PG....one way or another, that's going to create match-up problems on defense (because either he or the other small will have to be guarding a much larger SG).

Now in this day and age where there are so many point-forwards and bit of muddying of the traditional positional roles, it might not be as big of an issue; but it still will be an occasional issue. And in basically modern eras where traditional roles were still very much in play (i.e. the 80's and 90's), having a 6'2" (barely) SG who was also of slight build would create more consistent match-up issues.

So even if we determine Sharman was a better defender than Cousy, for the above reasons, I don't see him being able to exert any significant of defensive advantage over Cousy in a modern context.

Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Owly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:27 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:I put the modern league one in for those who value era portability; you know it's not high on my list either, though era strength certainly is.

Fair enough. And (to those who do value it a lot): it's not that it isn't an important question; it's just that the answer is so damn noisy. You might, for instance, have two guys discussing the same 1950's player and how he would translate forward, with one thinking he would be an All-Star in the modern game, and the other thinking he wouldn't even be a decent college player. And we wouldn't be able to say who's right, because it's all hypothetical conjecture. There is no real quality control on the result, and the margin for error is massive. That's why I still argue it should not comprise a BIG portion of one's criteria.

But if you are to use it, yeah: the one year or two years of training allowed for "adjustment" to a new era with the "time machine" method is little more than a gesture to give the impression of fairness. It simply would not replace a lifetime of context/training/coaching/practice; it just wouldn't. If one is going to speculate on portability in a different era, one really needs to get his brain thinking in terms of assuming the player was born/raised in that time, and thinking hard on what was available (or not available) in that era. Thus, if moving an old player forward in time, assume he was born later and privy to all of the advances/advantages therein. Alternately, if moving a guy backwards thru time (because era portability goes both ways, and I think a lot of people lose sight of that), assume he was born/raised in that time, and allowed only the circumstances, coaching/training/mentoring/etc that was available at that time, and how that might affect his game.

I too mostly think in turns of era strength. Perhaps I'm just not judging the 50's as harshly as you.
Though as I implied in my original ballot post above, Cousy's career accomplishment is arguably the largest left on the table even if you weight them very lightly due to strength of era. For instance, you could take every honor/award/accolade/title (with consideration of his role on each title team) or finals appearance/other misc achievement (like being at the helm of three #1 offenses, leading league in assists, etc) and only weight it at HALF the value you would give to the same achievement today......and he's still likely got the highest career achievement mark of anyone left.

penbeast0 wrote:My problems with Cousy are (a) his defense and efficiency isues, his playmaking should not be in question and (b) his terrible playoff performances throughout the Russell era. The 60s were a major step up from the 50s; a 50s star for me has to REALLY stand out (Mikan) or show the ability to dominate into the tougher era (Pettit, Baylor) for me to support him over a 60s or later era star. If anyone left really stands out statistically, it's Neil Johnston or Bob Cousy; Cousy didn't seem that effective into the 60s for me to assume his game could adapt the way Pettit's did, so it's about the era domination. I am just not sold on it here though I might still rate him over Price or Hardaway as the best point guard left. Too many questions for me at this point still but I'm open to listening.

I'm glad you're willing to listen.
wrt shooting efficiency.....

1) I'll copy the gist of something I'd written back in the #64 thread regarding shooting efficiency in these early eras. I'd written it in defense of Nate Thurmond's poor shooting efficiency, but ironically cited some early 60's Celtics observations as example. I've made minor augmentations for the context here:

I tend to be a bit more forgiving of guys from (approximately) pre-1970. Frankly, it seems that shooting efficiency was scarcely on the radar of coaching/management during the insane-paced late 1950's and 1960's.

Just as an example.....
Had been watching or re-watching the '62 and '63 finals, and noted some of the awful shot-selection of the Boston Celtics (READ: this is the best team in the land at the time). The sequences that stand out in my mind were Tom Sanders taking these awkward (even childish-looking) set-shots from ~20 feet from the rim. I KNOW Satch can't hit those more often than 36-38% of the time (if even that), and it's not like these were bail-out shots: there were 9-14 seconds left on the shot-clock in all instances I'm remembering. So this is very poor shot-selection, even by the standards of the time; and again, this by the best team in the land. It underscores my point that in this era, the whole philosophy of "take your time and find a good shot" was just not really in the strategic lexicon. This was the time of simply trying to outpace the opponent, particularly with the Russell Celtics (*more on that in #2 below). As far as I can tell (from the combine of eye-test, pace standards, and ts% standards), emphasis on shot-selection really wasn't well-underway until somewhere in the early 70's.

2) Taking the philosophy of the Russell Celtics a bit further, poor efficiency was to some degree by design. I'd encourage people to read what fplii had posted elsewhere on this topic:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=42005807#p42005807

It's interesting to note (perhaps suggestive), too, that Cousy's decline in relative ts% coincides pretty simultaneously with this pace-driven trend, where "bad shots" are essentially encouraged (though I won't pretend there are not other potential factors). Anyway, here is his ts% relative to league avg by year:

'51: -1.26%
'52: +0.65%
'53: +0.06%
'54: +2.12%
'55: +2.47%
'56: +0.30%
'57: +0.28%
'58: -3.40%
'59: -0.38%
'60: -2.47%
'61: -3.36%
'62: -3.61%
'63: -4.44%

Now one might ask, "why don't we see Sharman's shooting efficiency suffer?" Well, in truth, we do; his shooting efficiency takes a dip (of similar proportion) around the same time. Here is his relative ts% by year:

'51: +1.34%
'52: +2.65%
'53: +7.56%
'54: +8.86%
'55: +5.31%
'56: +5.04%
'57: +4.60%
'58: +3.57%
'59: +1.89%
'60: +4.29%
'61: +1.46%

So one's second question might be, "how do we account for his generally much higher shooting efficiency?" imo, two ways: 1) He was a better shooter. If there's one thing Sharman did better than Cousy (or pretty much anyone else in that era, for that matter), it's shooting. And 2) He largely didn't have to create for himself, shoot off the dribble, or otherwise take many heavily-contested and difficult shots. He his job was to get open and then hit those open shots (which he did very well). But he was essentially feeding on what the rest of the offense (such as it was) could get him.
Most principally, he was feeding on what Cousy could make for him. Just as we see the shooting efficiencies of Shawn Marion, Stoudemire, Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa, etc, ALL hit their highest ts% (in some instances by far) during the years playing next to a peak Steve Nash, I suspect Sharman was similarly a benefactor of likely the best play-maker of his era.
That's not to say Sharman wouldn't have been an effective and successful shooter/scorer in another setting; but I think he was fortunate to play essentially his entire career alongside Cousy.

wrt adapting to the 60's.....
I have four schools of thought wrt his decline as he went into the 60's:
1) Maybe (as you try to imply) he couldn't.
2) Maybe he could, but simply didn't out of inertia. Maybe inwardly he figured "I've had a great deal of success (titles, MVP's, etc) doing things the way I've always done them, and hey: I'm still a pretty good player doing it this way....so why change?"
3) Maybe he could and was in the process, but was a touch behind the curve in adapting (perhaps for reasons stated in #2); and just needed more time than age allowed (relates to one of my issues with the "time machine" method, fwiw); which brings me to #4......
4) Maybe he could/was adapting just fine, but his body was simply in decline. He was 31 years old going INTO the 1959-60 season, after all. A lot of guys are fading by that point, even guys with largely skill-based (as opposed to athleticism-based) games: Tim Duncan was beginning to fade a little by that time; Dirk would begin to fade by 32 or so; Pau began to fade around age 31; Louie Dampier around 31 or so; happened a bit later for guys like Nash and Stockton, but even they declined beginning around 34-35. Guys more reliant on their physical attributes typically begin to fade even earlier.

wrt to defense.....
Where does this forum's concern for Cousy's defense come from? The reviews I've read of his defense ranges from neutral to good; don't think I've ever read anything to indicate it was poor. And based on the eye-test from the games I've watched, the effort is there on the defensive end. He seemed to have decent anticipation in going for steals, too. So why the big concerns?

Owly wrote:On some topics raised

I would contest the notion that he was better conditioned than Reggie, but anyway....
Both Cousy and Sharman were listed as 6'1". Figuring with modern footwear and heights listed in shoes today, they'd be listed at 6'2". I don't see the height factor being too much of an issue for Cousy, who will obv be playing PG and PG only. Even today, the avg PG height is still barely 6'3". Sharman, otoh (as you noted), is a SG. 6'2" is small for a SG. That could be a problem for him in a modern context, when the avg SG is about 6'6". That's a big length advantage they'll have in contesting his shots (reducing his offensive effectiveness as a modern SG), and a big length disadvantage he'll have in contesting theirs (not to mention he might get abused in the post). That's not to say that he necessarily HAS to guard the apposing SG; but if he's on the court with a more traditional-sized PG....one way or another, that's going to create match-up problems on defense (because either he or the other small will have to be guarding a much larger SG).

Now in this day and age where there are so many point-forwards and bit of muddying of the traditional positional roles, it might not be as big of an issue; but it still will be an occasional issue. And in basically modern eras where traditional roles were still very much in play (i.e. the 80's and 90's), having a 6'2" (barely) SG who was also of slight build would create more consistent match-up issues.

So even if we determine Sharman was a better defender than Cousy, for the above reasons, I don't see him being able to exert any significant of defensive advantage over Cousy in a modern context.

With regard to specifically comparing the two on D a lot would stand on what Cousy's D was like, and as I've noted I'm not sure the sources are there on that (my guesstimate would be - based on what I think others believe - higher than most, but as high as you seem to be suggesting, but honestly I don't know). With the fog acknowledged, I don't think Sharman being better than Cousy on D is an if. At all. Just about everything on Sharman mentions his D, that just isn't the case with Cousy. And size matchups (which I noted, and I accept) cuts both ways. They both get shorter in time machine matchups relative to the actual competition they faced. If those more cynical on Cousy's D are correct, and he was struggling to guard 6'0 Dick McGuire, 5'10 Slater Martin, 6'2 Andy Phillip (but listed as a combo guard and even a forward), 5'10 Ralph Beard (to name the better 50s pgs) then it doesn't get any better today or in any hypothetical all-time league. It's not an issue to me because it's all time-machine stuff, but in terms of does Sharman have an advantage on D, he sure does.

I would take issue with the conditioning thing though, I don't think that is contestable except in time machine terms. Sharman was a a gym rat, a conditioning freak, a diet freak, a two sport star etc, he's noted for his conditioning. Miller despite the screen running hasn't tended to recieve much comment, that I've seen, on his conditioning/motor, nor was he know for consistent intensity on D (more for playing up or down to his matchup) that Sharman seems to have.
penbeast0

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Going from memory . . .

It starts with Red Auerbach refusing to draft the Holy Cross star calling him a "local yokel." Then Auerbach didn't want him in the Blackhawks contraction draft complaining about his flashy passing and lack of defense. Boston then had generally below average defenses until Russell, and we have had teammate quotes posted here (by Dipper if I remember right) saying Cousy played "wave through" defense counting on Russell to back him up. That's my memory of it though I wouldn't count on it, my memory has played me false in this project before (Bob McAdoo).

Return to Player Comparisons