And1: 39

Re: Top 10 Point Guards 

Post#2 » by splashbrothers » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:38 am

honorable mentions: Mike Conley, Goran Dragic, Rondo
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#3 » by SactoKingsFan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:46 am

Conley should replace Parker. He's been a much better all around player and Parker hasn't been very good. I don't think he's even a top 15 PG this season.

Edit: Rose doesn't belong in top 10.
splashbrothers
Banned User
And1: 39

Re: 

Post#4 » by splashbrothers » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:Conley should replace Parker. He's been a much better all around player and Parker hasn't been very good. I don't think he's even a top 15 PG this season.

I wasnt basing on just this season but overall who is the top 10 pg right now. Parker has been injured but when healthy he is pretty damn good especially in the playoffs
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: Re: 

Post#5 » by SactoKingsFan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:18 am

splashbrothers wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:Conley should replace Parker. He's been a much better all around player and Parker hasn't been very good. I don't think he's even a top 15 PG this season.

I wasnt basing on just this season but overall who is the top 10 pg right now. Parker has been injured but when healthy he is pretty damn good especially in the playoffs

Then why isn't CP3 #1 if you're taking overall career into account?

Parker actually hasn't been a great playoff performer. He's been pretty inconsistent in PS throughout his career.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#6 » by Quotatious » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:36 am

My list (based on this season, so far)

1. Curry (pretty clearly)
2. CP3
3. Westbrook (Russ is better than CP3 on a good day, but he's inconsistent, has less "good days" than Paul, so I'd take Chris)
4. Lillard
5. Lowry (Lillard and Lowry are extremely close, but Dame has a slight edge, statistically)
6. Wall
7. Conley (Wall and Conley are close, but I think that John is more capable of carrying a team, and a superior playmaker, plus he's more versatile defensively - Conley over Teague because of much better defense)
8. Teague (over Kyrie because he's a superior playmaker and leader, IMO a bit better defensively, too)
9. Kyrie
10. Bledsoe
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#7 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:55 pm

splashbrothers wrote:Here are my top 10

1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Westbrook
4. Wall
5. Lowry
6. Parker
7. Kyrie
8. Lillard
9. Teague
10. Rose

Not bad except for placement of Tony Parker, imo. I like him a lot, but I really don't think he has any case above Lillard, Teague, or Irving this year. I don't think he's got any case over Mike Conley either, actually. 10th is his best possible placement for me this year (and even that might be a stretch with guys like Ty Lawson and Brandon Knight out there).

I'd rate it:
1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Westbrook (VERY close 3rd, imo; don't object to anyone putting him 2nd)
4. Lowry
5. Wall
6. Lillard
7. Teague
8. Mike Conley
9. Kyrie Irving
---and really all those guys in #4-9 are pretty close imo. You could jostle that order around a lot and it wouldn't be incorrect as far as I'm concerned. I waffle on the order myself quite frequently.
10-11. Ty Lawson/Brandon Knight
(12. Tony Parker)

PG position is stacked right now.....
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
timglick01
Banned User
And1: 93

Post#8 » by timglick01 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:45 pm

1. Stephen Curry
2. Chris Paul
3. Damian Lillard
4. Kyrie Irving
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Kyle Lowry
7. John Wall
8. Jeff Teague
9. Eric Bledsoe
10. Ty Lawson
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#9 » by Jaivl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm

Quotatious wrote:My list (based on this season, so far)

2. CP3
3. Westbrook (Russ is better than CP3 on a good day, but he's inconsistent, has less "good days" than Paul, so I'd take Chris)
4. Lillard
5. Lowry (Lillard and Lowry are extremely close, but Dame has a slight edge, statistically)
6. Wall
7. Conley (Wall and Conley are close, but I think that John is more capable of carrying a team, and a superior playmaker, plus he's more versatile defensively - Conley over Teague because of much better defense)
8. Teague (over Kyrie because he's a superior playmaker and leader, IMO a bit better defensively, too)
9. Kyrie
10. Knight

Change Knight for Bledsoe and that's my list.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#10 » by Quotatious » Sun Feb 1, 2015 1:08 am

Jaivl wrote:Change Knight for Bledsoe and that's my list.

I think you're right. Their boxscore numbers are very similar (perhaps a slight edge to Bledsoe), but Bledsoe looks much better in RAPM. At first, I was just impressed with Knight leading the Bucks to a winning record right now (I didn't expect that before the season) with IMO a clearly worse team around him, than Bledsoe has (but the Suns play in a tougher conference, obviously), but now I feel like Bledsoe deserves it over Knight.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#11 » by trex_8063 » Sun Feb 1, 2015 3:07 am

Shoot, forgot about Bledsoe. Yeah, I probably push Tony Parker back to #13; Bledsoe's in the 10-12 range somewhere.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#12 » by E-Balla » Sun Feb 1, 2015 3:31 am

Quotatious wrote:
Jaivl wrote:Change Knight for Bledsoe and that's my list.

I think you're right. Their boxscore numbers are very similar (perhaps a slight edge to Bledsoe), but Bledsoe looks much better in RAPM. At first, I was just impressed with Knight leading the Bucks to a winning record right now (I didn't expect that before the season) with IMO a clearly worse team around him, than Bledsoe has (but the Suns play in a tougher conference, obviously), but now I feel like Bledsoe deserves it over Knight.

Calling what he does leading seems dishonest. Seriously he's the dumbest PG I've ever seen even now that he's producing. Remember he still has only a 104 ORTG and the team is -1.4 with him on the floor and +9.4 without him (his +/- only beats out Jabari and Larry Sanders... both of whom had a higher +/- than Knight before getting injured and they played most of their minutes with him). Brandon Knight isn't top 20 IMO especially not with this batch of PG that's so good Tony Parker didn't make it..

Anyway here's my top 10:
1. Curry (easy)
2. Westbrook (less likely to disappear than CP3 but much more likely to destroy your chances of winning)
3. CP3 (safest player in the league to a slight fault)
4. Wall (makes everyone around him play so much better. Amazing natural playmaker)
5. Kyrie (yeah, yeah I get it he's dumb and ISOs too much. Doesn't matter if the ball goes in the net)
6. Lowry (love his defense and jumper)
7. Conley (I've always been one of his biggest fans. He's just well above average at everything)
8. Dragic (he should be playing PG. Decent defender and passer but he's only under Curry and WB as a scorer)
9. Dame (I think he benefits from LMA way more than anyone realizes)
10. Bledsoe (his defense is the tippy top for PGs and offensively he has good vision and he's good enough at attacking the rim to score often)

Also looked up Dame's numbers without LMA. He's currently shooting 38% with LMA off the floor and averaging a full TOV more per 36 while keeping around the same point and assist numbers (21.8 vs 21.3 pp36 and 6.3 vs 6.2 pp36). He's crazy clutch though.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Re: Re: 

Post#13 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Feb 1, 2015 4:03 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:
splashbrothers wrote:

Then why isn't CP3 #1 if you're taking overall career into account?

Parker actually hasn't been a great playoff performer. He's been pretty inconsistent in PS throughout his career.

I'm not sure if there's a more glaring difference between perception and reality when it comes to Parker in the playoffs.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#14 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:05 am

" Coach Nick " released a video on why he thinks Lilliard is a better player than Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=aHwRDwycavg

Not many share this sentiment so I'm wondering what is he missing in your opinions?

Especially with the Flak that Kyrie gets for his inability to be a leader
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:24 am

RSCD3_ wrote:" Coach Nick " released a video on why he thinks Lilliard is a better player than Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=aHwRDwycavg

Not many share this sentiment so I'm wondering what is he missing in your opinions?

Especially with the Flak that Kyrie gets for his inability to be a leader

A few things to me, and I'd say Lillard has a case but still agree w/ Russ:

1. No mention of defense other that D Rating. However, he didn't mention that though they have similar ratings, Dame's is worse than his team's avg. and Russ is better than the team average.

2. This may sound nuts, but I'm not a huge Synergy fan. I've seen really poor cases made using them (anyone remember the guy who used to use them to prove KD was better than Lebron like 3 years ago?).

But the main thing to me is just ignoring defense completely, though Lillard has improved his.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#16 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:44 am

Y'know, this is something that has been bothering me for a while - but objectively speaking, does anyone else think Goran Dragic is better than the likes of Lillard and Lowry?

I know Phoenix plays a nontraditional lineup, but Goran Dragic is still a point guard, and he often still plays point guard for the Suns.

But seriously, we've seen what Dragic did last year with Bledsoe out, his boxscore numbers are down now presumably because he is sharing the ball with Bledsoe and Thomas (less minutes also), but Phoenix is like 8 games ahead of OKC and sitting in the 8th seed spot comfortably (will likely get in at this point unless they have a very big losing streak).

Dragic plays on a team that often finishes with two other small PGs in Thomas and Bledsoe, and the Suns still win (albeit all 3 point guards are awesome players). The guy is so good, that it doesn't even matter if he is matched up against a small forward, his production is still worth it.

I don't know, if we look at the Suns, on paper they really do not seem like a talented team, but the Suns still get it done. Hornacek has a lot to do with that, but at the end of the day, you don't score 20 points on 50% FG without being a special player, especially as a 6'3 point guard. Dragic is a real point guard also, so I hope no one is assuming the guy can't pass just because of his assist numbers.

The Suns just do not get much press, heck if it wasn't for them blocking out OKC of the playoffs, they'd be totally under the radar again. Lillard, Wall and to an extent Lowry are trendy, almost fashionable players to talk about - but are they actually more effective? Dragic is the best player on a team that isn't stacked, yet he is leading a playoff team in the West, with stats that are in someways superior to the other great PGs in the league.

Thoughts on Dragic guys?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#17 » by kingkirk » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:45 am

splashbrothers wrote:Here are my top 10

1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Westbrook
4. Wall
5. Lowry
6. Parker
7. Kyrie
8. Lillard
9. Teague
10. Rose

As a Bulls fan, i am happy to admit that Rose has no place in the top 10 PGs in the league to date. He is average at best at this point.

Parker is too high as well. Switch him with Teague and it's more accurate imo.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#18 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:49 pm

Quotatious wrote:My list (based on this season, so far)

2. CP3
4. Lillard
6. Wall
9. Kyrie
10. Bledsoe

Did a quick little calculation based on how much each player [of your ten] passed per every 100 frontcourt touches

Thought you may like this

From most to least

1. Paul 88.35
2. Bledsoe 85.81
3. Mike Conley 83.56
4. Wall 83.47
5. Lillard 82.80
6. Lowry 82.50
7. Irving 82.39
8. Curry 81.04
9. Teague 80.42
10. Westbrook 69.75

Mean of 82.01, SD of 4.88

Chris Paul is 1.29 SD above the mean
Russell Westbrook is 2.51 SD below the mean
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Post#19 » by giordunk » Tue Mar 3, 2015 5:51 pm

Good to see Bledsoe getting some love and cracking a few top 10s. I have always always been a fan of him. Honestly my ranking has small fluctuations from week to week, but right now it's looking like...

1. Stephen Curry
2. Chris Paul
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Kyle Lowry
5. Damian Lillard
6. John Wall
7. Tony Parker
8. Eric Bledsoe
9. Mike Conley
10. Kyrie Irving

HM - Jeff Teague, Goran Dragic, Jrue Holiday.
i like peanuts

Return to Player Comparisons