Revoking MVP voting credentials

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MrKnox
Banned User
And1: 344

Revoking MVP voting credentials 

Post#1 » by MrKnox » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Should media members who vote for these awards have their voting privileges revoked when they making baffling choices that go against all reason?

Example: 1990 Jordan averaged 34/7/6/3, 53 FG%, 38 3P%, 85 FT%, all-defensive first team, 55 wins and was left off of three ballots. Think about that. Three voters didn't think Jordan was a top 5 player in the league. There are lots of examples like this with other players as well. Should these voters lose their privileges?
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Re: Revoking MVP voting credentials 

Post#2 » by JeepCSC » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:02 pm

If they did enough to earn their ability to vote, they should have to egregiously troll to lose their ability to personally decide their vote. Like pushing Austin Rivers for MVP.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#3 » by Owly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 pm

MrKnox wrote:Should media members who vote for these awards have their voting privileges revoked when they making baffling choices that go against all reason?

Example: 1990 Jordan averaged 34/7/6/3, 53 FG%, 38 3P%, 85 FT%, all-defensive first team, 55 wins and was left off of three ballots. Think about that. Three voters didn't think Jordan was a top 5 player in the league. There are lots of examples like this with other players as well. Should these voters lose their privileges?

Whilst I'd essentially be fine with it as an idea (and at that level in terms of not voting for MJ as top 5) there are issues with execution.

Mainly ... who's to arbit what's unreasonable (particularly with MVP being a nebulous concept)?

Maybe make it so who voted how comes out a few years down the line. So you don't have to be a prisoner of the moment and feel like you have to vote for the hot pick, but just know that in 3,5, whatever years, people can say okay you're the guy who didn't put MJ top 5 (or voted for PJ Brown because he was a classy guy, underrated player, or for Jermaine O'Neal over KG because he was nicer; which are I believe voting justifications given). And it won't stop people wasting votes (as per the above people have gone public with reasons that have little/nothing to do with basketball), but it would at least make them accountable to history.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#4 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:45 pm

MrKnox
Banned User

Post#5 » by MrKnox » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:18 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Yes. Start with this guy

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/awards-ald ... en-snubbed

He's got Lebron on his first team all defense list? Lebron coasted all season on defense, took a two week vacation and sat out games down the stretch. It's turning into another Kobe situation.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#6 » by ceiling raiser » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 am

That's pretty egregious. 90 MJ is one of his three best years IMO (along with 91, 92). More reason why I think it's difficult for someone to trust anything other than his/her own eyes (and if it exists, quality, comprehensive data), whenever tape is available.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#7 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:59 am

Yes. This guy needs to go as well.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/588443920784228352[/tweet]
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#8 » by turk3d » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 am

Br0ken_Sp0ke wrote:Yes. This guy needs to go as well.

Didn't even include Westbrook? What a jackhole.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#9 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:11 am

turk3d wrote:

Didn't even include Westbrook? What a jackhole.

Westbrook didn't make the playoffs. And if team results are taken into account on a MVP race (and they are), I don't see it as a very bad list.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 am

Some guys from the media make wierd choices, but coaches and players did too. Also coaches can promote a vote to defend their own guys (and they should to promote good team spirit or not hurt the ego of their players). For example, if I'm the Rockets coach I would vote Harden 1st, A. Davis 2nd, Westbrook 3rd, LeBron 4th and Curry 5th to make a gap between Harden and Curry, since they're the two main candidates.

Who would you like to vote? Biased opinions are everywhere. Didn't a guy vote for Melo in 2013?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#11 » by ocelot17 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:45 am

Some guys have personal agendas against certain players or they just want to go against the grain for no reason.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,320

Post#12 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 am

I think curry / harden should be a pretty unanimous 1/2 at this point (either way), but there's nothing drastically wrong with his ballot.

I will say it's cool that we get to see who everyone voted for these days. So if anyone had something really off, they'll have to explain themselves in one way or another.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#13 » by MrKnox » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:11 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:

I think curry / harden should be a pretty unanimous 1/2 at this point (either way), but there's nothing drastically wrong with his ballot.

I will say it's cool that we get to see who everyone voted for these days. So if anyone had something really off, they'll have to explain themselves in one way or another.

Lebron James number two? Really? He coasted the first half of the season and his Cavs were 20-20 after 40 games. He then took a two week vacation mid season. His numbers are all down across the board. His defense is in "chill mode." He doesn't deserve to be second on anyone's ballot.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#14 » by PaulieWal » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:19 am

Revoking ballots is pretty stupid unless the writer is trolling and year after year makes horrible choices. Otherwise all you are doing is looking to censor the opinions of the voters and creating an environment of fear. Deviating from conventional wisdom even if conventional wisdom is absolutely spot-on shouldn't be grounds for having MVP voting credentials revoked. You will always have people who think about the game differently and will not see the game like you do. As long as they can justify their position with real basketball analysis and reasoning, there's no reason to punish voters for deviating from the consensus.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,320

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:25 am

MrKnox wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

Lebron James number two? Really? He coasted the first half of the season and his Cavs were 20-20 after 40 games. He then took a two week vacation mid season. His numbers are all down across the board. His defense is in "chill mode." He doesn't deserve to be second on anyone's ballot.

Takes time to develop chemistry with a completely new team. Cavs finished with the 7th best record in the league. His numbers being down isn't as significant as you're making it out to be considering on their own, they're still great. Like I said, I'd have curry/harden top 2, but there's nothing wrong with Lebron being in the top 5.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#16 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:03 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
MrKnox wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

Takes time to develop chemistry with a completely new team. Cavs finished with the 7th best record in the league. His numbers being down isn't as significant as you're making it out to be considering on their own, they're still great. Like I said, I'd have curry/harden top 2, but there's nothing wrong with Lebron being in the top 5.

Two week vacation... more like, healing injuries.

Coast D? Since he came back he actually did a great job on that end of the floor.

Return to Player Comparisons