Your Top 5 Biggest HOF Snubs Today?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

justinian
Bench Warmer
And1: 93

Your Top 5 Biggest HOF Snubs Today? 

Post#1 » by justinian » Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Who are your top 5 eligible former players snubbed by HOF?

my take -

- Sidney Moncrief
- Jack Sikma
- Zelmo Beaty
- George McGinnis
- Chris Webber
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Re: Your Top 5 Biggest HOF Snubs Today? 

Post#2 » by theonlyclutch » Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am

Don't really have a list, but would have Kevin Johnson on there, snubbed out of wayyyy too many accolades (ASG, All-NBA) and had too short of a prime due to injuries, but he was absolutely one of the best offensive PGs there is when healthy.

Someone who is guaranteed to get snubbed: Chauncey Billups, unimpressive raw numbers and percentages due to a combination of late prime, slow paced teams, and lots of 3 point shooting, all of which hide the fact that he was an elite offensive guard for a significant period of time, the mid 00's version of James Harden with a great combination of FT-drawing and 3 point shooting, takes care of the ball better than any other modern PG other than Chris Paul, had a highly portable skillset due to his ability to work off-ball and create significant amounts of efficient looks for himself, with 7 120+ ORTG seasons, he was efficient to a fault, for comparison, this is more 120+ ORTG seasons than Magic Johnson.
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Ancalagon
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#3 » by Ancalagon » Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 am

KJ and Chauncey are consistently on my "most underrated" list.
justinian
Bench Warmer
And1: 93

Post#4 » by justinian » Fri May 29, 2015 1:06 am

WHat od you guys think about Maurice Lucas?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,553

Post#5 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 am

Coach: A coach must be either fully retired for five years or, if still an active coach, have coached as either a fulltime assistant or head coach on the high school and/or college and/or professional level for a minimum of 25 years. That person will then be considered for Enshrinement in the sixth year of retirement or 26th year of active coaching.

6 Yrs as an Assistant Coach with Air Force
9 Yrs as Head Coach of Pomona-Pitzer (Coached them to first title in 7 decades)
5 Yrs as an Assistant Coach with San Antonio & Golden State
18 Yrs as Full-Time Head Coach in the NBA

After the 2002 season he became eligible for the Hall of Fame. Thirteen years later he still isn't in the HOF.

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 am

I see HOF a little differently than all time lists. On the all time list I care about the players value, if they weren't on a good enough team to make it far in the postseason it shouldn't affect their value. But for Hall of Fame if a player going far in the postseason makes them a more historically relevant player I feel it should add to their case. I would have put Horace Grant in over Mitch Richmond even if Richmond was a better player (if he was) because of Grant's important role on the 3peat Bulls, plus making 3 other Finals (playing in 2). Whereas Richmond just didn't feel like a relevant enough player to history to me. I consider Billups to be a no brainer not only because he was an excellent player but because 04 Finals MVP and probably best player on that team, should be represented

So I would put Gus Williams, Jack Sikma and Bob Dandridge in for what happened in 78 and 79. On 79 Sonics title team all of Williams, Sikma and DJ have a case for the #1. DJ got Finals MVP, Sikma was the one attracting MVP votes in the regular season (finishing 7th), and Williams was the #1 option in regular season and playoffs, with 27ppg in the playoffs. To me that and making G7 of the 78 Finals make Sikma and Williams historically relevant players for non HOFers. They also both went on to have some bigger statistical years in the early 80s, with Williams making a 1st team All NBA once.

Dandridge makes 4 Finals (71, 74, 78, 79) and wins 2 (71, 78), had a long consistent run of 18-20ppg. Possibly deserved the 1978 Finals MVP and in 1979 had a very relevant Game 7 of the WCF against the Spurs where he went for 37 and hit the game winner. I believe at the time he was rated closer to Hayes and Unseld for best player on those teams than history now remembers him. I understand he's not a shoo-in case but I would probably squeeze him in
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#7 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 am

Webber is atop the list for the moment, but I would expect that to be rectified fairly shortly.

KJ...is a borderline case, as is Timmy. There is a reasonable line to be drawn between them and the HOF, or a reasonable one to be drawn just behind them and the HOF. You can't keep sliding the scale past all the snubs or it jsut introduces a whole new class of players as snubs. Soon Tom Chambers and Terry Cummings are feeling snubbed. Then Rod Strickland and Mookie Blaylock. Finally it will be Jim Les and John Crotty.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 am

KJ would be my biggest snub, probably followed by Sidney Moncrief.

After that......
Jack Sikma
George McGinnis
and yeah, maybe Chris Webber; though given the length of time since his career has ended one does want to see Zelmo Beaty in. Chauncey Billups is def one I think is deserving, though I realize his career JUST ended (and they usually don't get in quite that quick).

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the HOF prospect for Bill Laimbeer?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#9 » by JordansBulls » Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm

I would definitely say Kevin Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Tim Hardaway to name a few.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#10 » by LA Bird » Fri May 29, 2015 4:37 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the HOF prospect for Bill Laimbeer?

If his coaching career is included, he has a pretty good chance. WNBA Coach of the year + 3 championships.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,553

Post#11 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Laimbeer is better than some guys in the HOF.

In a lot of way I think he would be more valuable today. On offense he was an excellent shooter who was one of the first bigs to shoot 3 pointers at a decent clip. I am convinced by his free throw shooting and overall success back then that he would be a great stretch big on offense. His defense is underrated because all people remember are the cheap shots. He was ahead of his time when it came to drawing offensive fouls. Laimbeer was a smart guy who would be able to conform his conduct to the rules. He would cut back on the egregious fouls to avoid getting constantly ejected. Laimbeer was great on the defensive glass.

That said he isn't at the HOF level based on his career and even if he played today he wouldn't make the hall.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#12 » by CaliBullsFan » Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Danridge and Sikmaa not getting in is a travesty but I somewhat understand it because they played at small schools so there college careers are dismissed. But Gus Williams had a memorable college career at USC but there's a bias against him because he choose to sit out a season. Same with Webber a very memorable college career but there is a bias against him because of the scandal
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:51 pm

I think Webber is pretty much a lock; he just wasn't first ballot material. His maintaining visibility with his TV appearances will help him too (though it shouldn't I suppose). Billups I would love to see in too but I think he's more marginal because of his lack of flashy highlights and big number stats.

I'd say Moncrief should definitely be in but I don't worry as much about longevity as long as there is a reasonable prime. Maybe Gus Williams and Penny too but neither peaked nearly as high as Sidney Moncrief.

For outstanding long career without the great peak, Sikma and KJ should go in, with Tim Hardaway behind them as a bubble guy. Webber would be in the Sikma to KJ range though I am openly not a fan.

Loved Dandridge but he is more the Jamaal Wilkes level of very good without ever being great, Laimbeer is a little below them though his role on the Bad Boys gives him extra narrative support.

Zelmo, McGinnis, Lucas . . . all much more marginal though the ABA committee will probably nominate the 1st two pretty soon as there aren't that many greater NBA players. I would throw out the name Spencer Haywood too as in this group and probably near the top of it.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons