Wilt vs today's young bigs

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

CavaliersFTW
Junior
And1: 440

Re: Wilt vs today's young bigs 

Post#21 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:57 am

RayBan-Sematra wrote:
CavaliersFTW wrote:I don't see how anyone can come up with numbers he'd put up.

I currently would agree.
There are far too many era differences to accurately say how good he would be today though people who put in the effort to learn about Wilt and his era will usually do better then those who haven't.

We only know what he did. When he was asked to score in volumes he could lead the league in scoring by at least 30% more points than the next best guy even when the next best guys were ELITE scorers themselves regardless of their positions.

Well yeah but only in the reg-season.
Prime scoring Wilt (60-66) averaged : 32.8ppg in the playoffs on 52%TS

West during that same period (61-66) : 31.3ppg on 55%TS
Oscar during that period averaged : 30.3ppg on 56%TS
Baylor averaged 32.5ppg on 51%TS

So while Wilt was putting up crazy numbers in the reg-season his playoff scoring numbers were not the best of his era nor outliersh the way his reg-season numbers were.
West & Oscar were the two best scorers of the 60's in my opinion.

I think the fact that Baylor was able to basically match Peak scoring Wilts scoring numbers in the playoffs and that certain guards of his era were able to do considerably better brings into question people who think he was on that GOAT level scoring tier for C's with guys like Kareem & Shaq.

His field goal percentages were untouchable when he wanted to score on lower volume.

True though only in the reg-season.
Even in years like 67 + 73 his FG% dropped to 58% & 55% once the playoffs started. Still very good but not overly impressive given his roles and the volume he was scoring at (22 / 10).

From my understanding of what his various coaches asked him, and for other various reasons (less playoff rounds early in his career vs late, less playoff games early in his career vs late) Wilt only played 24 games in the playoffs with an actual green light to score points as his primary focus. This is way way under representative of the rest of his playoff games/averages relative to his career regular season games. He did not have as many opportunities to do what West/Baylor/Robertson did. Unlike Wilt, they never changed their roles until late in their careers, and they only did it once where as Wilt did it several times and played several different ways.

When under that role in that small 24 game sample size Wilt had his moments setting playoff scoring records just like he was doing in the regular seasons.

CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#22 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:03 am

RayBan-Sematra wrote:
CavaliersFTW wrote:Throughout the 1960's I believe he averaged 290-300lbs.
As a Laker Wilt admits he averaged 300-310lbs in an interview after his career.

I would bet more on him being around 265-285 during that period depending on the year.
He was considerably bigger during his Laker years and it was quite visually obvious.
I think the difference definitely appears to be well more then 5 or 10 pounds.

So if he was 300-310 during his Laker years (something I can definitely buy) he was probably no more then 285 in any of his earlier years which is still very big especially since Wilt generally appeared to have a very low body fat percentage.

You would bet, but I've got the articles and testimony that cite otherwise. They specifically reference him being underbilled and that his list weight is/was misleading.

And I believe any "visual" difference you think may be going on is due strictly to camera technology changing from short focal length, to zoom lenses by the very end of his career. Trust me on this, if you don't I understand and I will come back with a more detailed post with visual examples on how a camera technology change altered how filled out Wilt "appeared" to look. It's in the camera lenses. His weight was reported as a relatively constant 290 to 300+ from early in his career until late. He actually looks the strongest and heaviest he ever played in about 1964-65. Knowing what I know about how cameras changed and seeing he is still very much dwarfing guys 240-270 even in the 60's shots where the short focal length cameras might make him appear thinner than his Lakers photos eventually would. Actually, even many his early Lakers shots are of shorter focal length and you would think he looks oddly thin but it's just the camera work.
RayBan-Sematra
Assistant Coach
And1: 911

Post#23 » by RayBan-Sematra » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:30 am

CavaliersFTW wrote:From my understanding of what his various coaches asked him, and for other various reasons (less playoff rounds early in his career vs late, less playoff games early in his career vs late) Wilt only played 24 games in the playoffs with an actual green light to score points as his primary focus.

Eh.
I can buy that he was in more of a "gunner" role from 60-62 but that doesn't mean he wasn't still in a first option scoring role from 64-66.
He was still a 21 FGA / 11 FTA guy (per 42) over that stretch which is well within the normal range for a 1st option volume scoring C.

1967 was really the year where his role changed from volume scorer to more of a passing hub/supportive scorer.
So I am not sure I really have any problem using 64-66 as part of the sample to judge his Prime scoring ability.
If anything I think his scoring stats from 64-66 were more impressive then his stats from 60-62.
2-3 less ppg overall but considerably more efficient (4% or so).
Volume & efficiency are both big factors to me. Raw volume without good efficiency never overly impresses me.

He did not have as many opportunities to do what West/Baylor/Robertson did.

Not sure I agree with that.
West had to play with Baylor (volume shooter) and visa-versa. Neither really had the blatant g-light that Wilt had from 60-62.
Robertson was a major playmaker.
So I am not sure I would say that any of those guys were in more of a "gunner" or "g-light" role as scorers then Wilt was from 64-66.
RayBan-Sematra
Assistant Coach
And1: 911

Post#24 » by RayBan-Sematra » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:38 am

CavaliersFTW wrote:You would bet, but I've got the articles and testimony that cite otherwise. They specifically reference him being underbilled and that his list weight is/was misleading.

And I believe any "visual" difference you think may be going on is due strictly to camera technology changing from short focal length, to zoom lenses by the very end of his career..

Fair enough. I won't fight you on this because I respect your research regarding the changing film tech and the testimony.
I would add though that I base my views partially on many still photos I have seen of Wilt from various years during that decade.
I remember looking at some still (black and white I believe) photos of Wilt from around 67 or 68 and he appears considerably smaller and much lankier then he did as a Laker where he was super beefed up.
Again though without doing more research myself I don't feel very comfortable refuting your opinion here. :)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,191

Post#25 » by tsherkin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:34 am

thizznation wrote:The only thing DeMarcus Cousins has on Wilt is weight, that is it. He is 3 to 4 inches shorter, shorter arms, half the leaper, half the cardio, Cousins would get his butt dusted by Wilt. Even if DeMarcus seals Wilt with a box out, Wilt can literally go over the top of DeMarcus with out ever fouling.

Yet Willis Reed was able to give him trouble, yes? Reed was a couple of inches shorter than Cousins, and DeMarcus has a fantastic wing span. The leaping isn't super relevant, tbh. The majority of rebounds are taken below the level of the rim and Cousins has a 9'5 standing reach

I think Cousins would consistently make life difficult enough for Wilt that he wouldn't be getting his sweet spots on the block in his comfort zone. I think he'd contest just fine. I don't propose that DMC would dominate Wilt, I'm just saying with his size and power, Wilt's advantage would be considerably reduced.

As much as anything, Wilt's UPPER body strength was remarkable. His lower body strength was very good, but far less impressive. I think he'd have a decent amount of trouble (relative to his usual dominance) going against someone like Cousins. Remember, Wilt's game was basically a softer version of Shaq, and even the Diesel had trouble with certain players at times, and certain team defenses. Wilt himself had trouble with guys who had really strong bases and Cousins is basically the most powerful post player in the league at the moment. He also had some level of trouble with quicker guys who had length... and playoff defenses in general.

DMC wouldn't be shutting Wilt down, but I don't think his physical tools overwhelm enough to say he has a major advantage in that H2H match.
CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#26 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:09 am

tsherkin wrote:
thizznation wrote:The only thing DeMarcus Cousins has on Wilt is weight, that is it. He is 3 to 4 inches shorter, shorter arms, half the leaper, half the cardio, Cousins would get his butt dusted by Wilt. Even if DeMarcus seals Wilt with a box out, Wilt can literally go over the top of DeMarcus with out ever fouling.

Yet Willis Reed was able to give him trouble, yes? Reed was a couple of inches shorter than Cousins, and DeMarcus has a fantastic wing span. The leaping isn't super relevant, tbh. The majority of rebounds are taken below the level of the rim and Cousins has a 9'5 standing reach

I think Cousins would consistently make life difficult enough for Wilt that he wouldn't be getting his sweet spots on the block in his comfort zone. I think he'd contest just fine. I don't propose that DMC would dominate Wilt, I'm just saying with his size and power, Wilt's advantage would be considerably reduced.

As much as anything, Wilt's UPPER body strength was remarkable. His lower body strength was very good, but far less impressive. I think he'd have a decent amount of trouble (relative to his usual dominance) going against someone like Cousins. Remember, Wilt's game was basically a softer version of Shaq, and even the Diesel had trouble with certain players at times, and certain team defenses. Wilt himself had trouble with guys who had really strong bases and Cousins is basically the most powerful post player in the league at the moment. He also had some level of trouble with quicker guys who had length... and playoff defenses in general.

DMC wouldn't be shutting Wilt down, but I don't think his physical tools overwhelm enough to say he has a major advantage in that H2H match.

When did Willis Reed give Wilt trouble for physical reasons? Because I have a Willis Reed interview from 1970 after G3 I believe of the Finals:

"Wilt's very strong I can't stop him under the basket. He makes up his mind 'I think I'm gonna score this ball this time' he'll take me and the ball to the basket if he has to do it."

I believe there's also a quote out there by Reed saying when Wilt would push him back it would take the rubber right off his shoes. I'll try and find that one.

As far as ways Wilt could be outplayed by a player like Reed, well Reed was a great offensive player with a lot of fakes and quickness and he could step outside to pull a guy like Wilt away from the basket when he gets a hot hand. And I also have quotes of Phil Jackson (Willis' teammate at the time) saying Wilt did have a weakness the Knicks liked to exploit related in part to the rules of the game and in part one of Wilt's philosophies of play at that time. According to Jackson, Wilt did not like to spin or drive strong the middle if a player stepped in front of him flopped and the ref called it an offensive foul. Refs did not like to call flops back then but the offensive charging rules were a lot less lenient back then, even slight shoulder to chest contact was whistled a charge back then, and I have film of Willis Reed flopping against Wilt in the 1973 Finals game that recently surfaced so that's one way Reed and his Knicks could/would prevent Wilt from driving inside with impunity. It's exploitation of rules, using Wilt's strength against him.

Another thing to keep in mind is in the 1970 series, Wilt was playing on a leg that wasn't 100% I don't know if that had any effect on his play or not. But he missed that season due to knee surgery, and committed to come back before the season was over - hyperbole here but probably twice as fast as doctors had advised, I don't think he was supposed to play at all that year. Either he healed exceptionally quick, or he played hurt/not fully healthy. I also think he got a bit intimidated when Willis Reed came in for game 7 as his reputation was that he did not like to physically hurt players, and perhaps he was afraid to really go at Willis and risk injuring him further.

Just my 2 cents, as I do not believe Willis Reed had the size or strength to compare to Chamberlain. No one has ever testified that he did to my knowledge, and he said he didn't himself.
CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#27 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:13 am

tsherkin wrote:

Cousins is Bob Laniers size. Bob Lanier tried to get physical with Wilt their first match up and says he was shoving Wilt. Wilt picked up Bob Lanier "like a coffee cup" and moved him out of the way and told him not to do that anymore. Why should we think Cousins would be any more a nuisance or physical superior to Wilt than Bob Lanier was?
CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#28 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:23 am

Great discussion so far by the way, I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative I'm trying to listen to all points and share what I've seen or heard in relation to them.
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#29 » by thizznation » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:30 am

tsherkin wrote:

Just because a rebound is collected below the rim doesn't mean it can get plucked from over the top of Cousins. I'm gonna flat out say that it's bull to say that Cousins only has 1 inch standing reach advantage over Wilt. Doesn't pass the smell test. I also don't think DMC is mentally tough enough to engage in a 40 minute battle with someone who is physically superior to him. DMC struggles to stay on the floor due to foul trouble while not dueling with someone like Wilt, he would be struggling to stay in the game due to fouls.
CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#30 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:37 am

RayBan-Sematra wrote:
CavaliersFTW wrote:From my understanding of what his various coaches asked him, and for other various reasons (less playoff rounds early in his career vs late, less playoff games early in his career vs late) Wilt only played 24 games in the playoffs with an actual green light to score points as his primary focus.

Eh.
I can buy that he was in more of a "gunner" role from 60-62 but that doesn't mean he wasn't still in a first option scoring role from 64-66.
He was still a 21 FGA / 11 FTA guy (per 42) over that stretch which is well within the normal range for a 1st option volume scoring C.

1967 was really the year where his role changed from volume scorer to more of a passing hub/supportive scorer.
So I am not sure I really have any problem using 64-66 as part of the sample to judge his Prime scoring ability.
If anything I think his scoring stats from 64-66 were more impressive then his stats from 60-62.
2-3 less ppg overall but considerably more efficient (4% or so).
Volume & efficiency are both big factors to me. Raw volume without good efficiency never overly impresses me.

He did not have as many opportunities to do what West/Baylor/Robertson did.

Not sure I agree with that.
West had to play with Baylor (volume shooter) and visa-versa. Neither really had the blatant g-light that Wilt had from 60-62.
Robertson was a major playmaker.
So I am not sure I would say that any of those guys were in more of a "gunner" or "g-light" role as scorers then Wilt was from 64-66.

Still a first option for a bit yes, but coach Hannum for example had asked that he pass more in 63-64 thus his 45ppg clip dropped to 36 and his apg jumped. Once Wilt was on the Sixers the team had a better set of scorers already in place, so Wilt stayed adjusted to taking less shots. You could say that's more akin to a team with guys like Baylor/West sharing a scoring load. I would say to that that Wilt isn't a guard who brings the ball up the court and depends on other players to be fed. West, Baylor, and Robertson all brought the ball up the court. Wilt having to be fed before he could choose to shoot, or choose to pass left him hanging in at least one series potentially costing him and the team that he was not given the ball. I think one of the 60's Sixer teams guards were panned for not feeding him the ball in the final 2nd half of a crucial playoff game. He only touched the ball once in the entire 2nd half, I'm not 100% familiar with it, but I'm just pointing out when those guys wanted to take over, it was as easy as hoisting up a shot. For him, there's always a middle man. That's a potential handicap for all big men.
CavaliersFTW
Junior

Post#31 » by CavaliersFTW » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:44 am

thizznation wrote:
Just because a rebound is collected below the rim doesn't mean it can get plucked from over the top of Cousins. I'm gonna flat out say that it's bull to say that Cousins only has 1 inch standing reach advantage over Wilt. Doesn't pass the smell test. I also don't think DMC is mentally tough enough to engage in a 40 minute battle with someone who is physically superior to him. DMC struggles to stay on the floor due to foul trouble while not dueling with someone like Wilt, he would be struggling to stay in the game due to fouls.

I can comment on the standing reach bit.

DMC had a 9' 5" measured reach in the draft:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeMarcus-Cousins-1318/

Draftexpress states they measure standing reach in shoes. DMC was wearing 1.25" shoes.

Wilt's 9' 6" standing reach was taken when he was a Sophomore at KU. I'm not sure if he was fully grown then or not, but the Converse shoes he was wearing at the time certainly aren't built with today's 1.25" thick soles. They'd maybe inflate his reach a half inch or so. Biologically, like if Wilt was in the same size shoes or if both were barefoot, their difference in reach would probably be closer to a few inches difference. Like their wingspan.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#32 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:40 am

CavaliersFTW wrote:
thizznation wrote:
tsherkin wrote:I don't think he'd have a physical advantage over DeMarcus Cousins, and I think which physical advantage he'd have generally changes between eras, because he wasn't max-strength when he was max-quickness, for example. And again, we saw a guy like Willis Reed able to frustrate his power, so there's that to consider.

Woah, DeMarcus Cousins? C'mon man...

The only thing DeMarcus Cousins has on Wilt is weight, that is it. He is 3 to 4 inches shorter, shorter arms, half the leaper, half the cardio, Cousins would get his butt dusted by Wilt. Even if DeMarcus seals Wilt with a box out, Wilt can literally go over the top of DeMarcus with out ever fouling.

I don't even believe he has weight on Wilt, Wilt was 290-320lbs from the very early stages of his career until the end. Listed weight is one thing, Wilt was always underbilled just like Shaq, every article that ever specifies his actual weight is usually above his listed weight. Seasons where he confesses he was "275" are almost non existent past his 3rd NBA season.

Rookie debut: 258lbs
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3uoaRHmrQQ8/VX5FvdeA4dI/AAAAAAAAGa4/AXt4WvkalX0/s0/Wilt%252520258%252520pounds%252520as%252520a%252520rookie.jpg

Season 6: (briefly) he is reporting in at an actual 275lbs... but it states this was the lowest weight he's been since 5 prior seasons
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-P_kDptkBaMo/VZXjqR2jAxI/AAAAAAAAGkU/tKH-20u3BU8/s0/Wilt%252520weighed%252520301%252520pounds%252520for%252520the%2525201965%252520nba%252520season.jpg

Throughout the 1960's I believe he averaged 290-300lbs. For example 1964 season he showed up to training camp 320lbs which it is reported he rapidly drops down to 300, and by late in that season Chick Hearn reports his weight to be 292lbs in a Lakers documentary.

As a Laker Wilt admits he averaged 300-310lbs in an interview after his career.

Demarcus Cousins reported to draft camp at 292lbs, though for him at the time it was described as "baby fat" and that he needed to lose at least 10-15 pounds. FWIW he's listed at 270 right now, I don't know if that is fairly accurate or an over or under billed number but he does appear slimmer to me than his rookie season.

He's shorter, has less reach, is not the all around athlete, I'm not sure he'd be able to compete in the high jump, triple jump, or impress Arnold Schwarzenegger in the gym. He has no upper hand on Wilt physically from what I can see.

personally, i Dont believe that it really makes sense to compare fg percentages across eras. to me, it seems apparent that in this era jump shooting was much less advanced as it is now (things like, ten toes to the basekt, are simply myths). for example, in the closing moments of the 76ers celtics game 4, the shots were barely hitting the rim. However, this is also because of the more strict carrying rules. this doesent change the fact htat pg of this era are more crafty, because carrying isnt actually an nba rule tbh (palming i mean).

Also, as a pure player, wilt was kind of a mix between a lot of players, but not at the same level, imo. for example, his fadeaway jump shot/bank shot are both very good for his height. However, I believe that they are just solid, not anything beyond that. This is becasue I heard once that wilt shot 60%-70% of his shots off fadeaways/mid ranges (obviously due to some rules back then, but still, it is interesting) according to Nate Thurmond (overall, i would believe him because he is the only person able to defend against wilt 1 on 1 and make him score less than 27ppg, though thats not to detract from wilt, as i personally believe thurmond is the best man to man defender ever). this may have been while he was with the lakers or with the 76ers or the warriors, im not sure. Now, looking at a logical stand point, when within 5-6 feet (at the rim) he probably shot around, 75% (rounded up what shaq averaged, because he played in an era with around the same height yet less fundamentally and powerful centers. also, the metric is 0-3 feet, and shaq probably shot 0-6 feet, but obviously his number plummetted from 7-10 feet, so lets say at the rim, where shaq woulld play usually, he shoots 75%). obviously, 60% is an exagerration, but he basically meant wilt shot more fadaway jump shots than he did post moves, and tbh, id take the opinion of thurmond over basically anyone regarding wilt.

lets use a formula, lets assume wilt shot 55% of his shots on fadeaways, because thats what thurmond probably meant (60% is a bit much imo)
that would mean he shot 45% inside the basket. if he shot 80% at the rim, then that would mean he shot a combined 33% on other tpes of shots. HOWEVER, obviously this number is too low,
so lets just round it up to 35%.
AND before people start hating on me for saying that he probably shot around 36% from outside of 10ft "disrespectful" (i changed my numbers to just calulate outside of 10 feet btw, so the num er is more accurate and higher) duncan in his carrreer averaged 40% outside of 10ft.

but tbh, this number isnt bad, its actually SOLID for a center. its not dirk, but its SOLID. i recall thurmond saying he forced wilt to miss by making him shoot from far away when they matched up against each other (In the numbers ive seen, thurmond "held" wilt to 53% shooting as a whole, including his peak years and super high fg years, on around 24 ppg, since i wont count the high fg years because those obviously deflate his stats, if that is a real phrase)

so imo, wilt would literally be like shaq with a solid jumper. nothing less, nothing more. it would also mean he rebounds better.

Also, I dont believe that we can use size/height/weight as a comparison to see if players would dominate or not.
also, russell was about the same height as cousins (he was slightly shorter than dwight i think, in shoes maybe 6ft 10 ish) and is reported to be 220 pounds, but he was the best defender of all time. yes he had a good jump and was fast, but the heavier players should have abused him, even if he was fast.

the same holds true for davis. on paper, he should get absolutely manhanddled by cousins and drummond, but he defends them pretty well. Cousins really only had that one game where he exploded against davis. (also, i recall seeing somewhere a bs post saying that cousins dominated davis head to head. once again, this is why i think head to head stats, at times are misleading, because he included the season where davis averaged 13-7 and said nothing about it. thats why i didnt include wilts years where he dropped his scoring to be more effective overall)

imo, wilt is basically peak shaq or peak lebron with a few key elements.

How much do I believe wilt would average today?

33-17-4.5-2-5

Also, not for one moment am I saying wilt only played at the basket. like I said, 36% is SOLID for a center. it might be a little bit higher, maybe 37-38%, which once again, is SOLID.

I cant stress this enough. 37% might look horrible, but looking at it from a historic point of view, 37% outside of 10 or 15 ffeet is, once again, SOLID. it basically a few steps below duncan, because i dont believe we can conclude he is a good jump shooter based on highlights (your scouting tool is great btw, though imo you should break it up into sections) or quotes, as someone sid jordan shot 36 percent outside of 15 feet in his best jump shooting season, harvey polluck or something, even though thats obviously false, since he shot 42% from that same range with the wizards.

but 36% for a center is VERY impressive. I cant put it any higher because of his free throw shooting, which, while he could shoot 80/100 in practice, is still not very good. (for example,i dont think AD is gonna be a 40+ 3 point shooter, but he shot 16/16 a few months ago)

I believe that wilt is the 3rd or 4th greatest nba player of all time, and the 2nd greatest peak wise. ( I take jordan for clutch factor, even though wilts "struggles" in the playoffs are LARGELY overblown)

also, I recall thurmond saying that he did not think he would be able to handle the strength of shaq, or it would give him a really exciting challange. not saying shaq or wilt is better. He said he thought kareem was the best center of all time, even though wilt fared better against thurmond than wilt did.

thats a a decent margin better than peak shaq in this era imo. i dont think its disrespectful.

wilt reminds me of shaq in many ways. Wilt was superior in the finger roll (though rarely is it used today) and the fadeaway. shaq had a better hook shot (I recall jackson saying wilt didnt have a hook, but he had a jump hook). But overall, it seems offensively, wilt was probably better, but it was close. They both lacked a "drive" so to speak. yes, i know they were competetive, and worked out alot, but they could seem lazy or uninterested at times. obviously, wilt and shaq both had that 20 win season and that 2003-4
laker squad busts each. yes, wilt didnt respect his coach and shaq faced injuries, but still.

imo, i sitll have russel ahead of wilt. I mean, wilt may have been as successful with those celtics teams, but imo, for everything wilt was offensively, russell was on defense. I realize russell considers wilt the goat, but imo, this is one of those eye test things. playing against peak nash and peak carmelo, one would think carmelo is better. obviously, this is not the case. similarrly, jennings played against kobe and called him the goat with jordan, im a kobe stan, but kobe is in serious danger of dropping out of the top 10

Also, I would like to point out that I would consider wilt, shaq, and jordan as the most TALENTED players ever.

I know im gonna get ALOT of hate for this, but imo, davis should join that conversation for pure talent.. tbh, imo, davis is a story of wasted potential. I mean, think about talented he is in terms of learning. he learned how to shoot the nba 3 pointer in 1 MONTH. he gained 20 pounds of muscle in ONE offseason, and he didnt even do it right thanks to monty friggin i think protein comes from pizza williams. he has a higher fg from 10-16ft last year than all of timmys seasons but 2, he had a higher percentage from 16ft+ than the majority of duncans seasons (inccluding 2003-2004). not only that, but he generates 15+ points from off ball movement alone

and when you think about it, he has only been playing power forward for 4 years in his whole career.

no im not saying he is gonna be a top 5 goat, but i feel like he has the potential to. btw, his wingspan is reported to be 7ft 8+ now. his height is rumord to be either abarefoot 6ft 10 or maybe taller, since he looked taller than duncan side to side. imo, Davis, if he doesent get injured, and DEVELOPS, is the modern wilt. when i say modern, i mean he is more well-rounded. I mean, think about the possibilities.

DONT HATE ON ME YET

this is what I mean.

back in the 60-70-80-90s, what was wanted was a strong big man who could dominate in the post

Wilt and shaq were epitomes of this. Im not sure about their off ball movement, but they simply didnt need any, they would dominate even if they had the brain of javale mcgee. they could overpower anyone. typical of bbiig men of this era, they couldnt hit free throws. Wilt was a great passer as well. HOWEVER, Im not sure if he would average 8 assists today as players seemed to be worse at stealing the ball back then, and players also took shots faster. 5 assists sounds more realistic, especially since he wont be the distributer. all of them are very athleticc. (wilt ran a 10.9 100 meter am i correct? and a 4.8 40 yard too right? that would probably mean he is as fast as lebron). obviously, 2 great leapers, shaq had a 37 inch at his prime imo, while wilt probably capped at 42-44 inches (I refuse to believe he had a higher vert than jordan, though I believe he could touch the top of the backboard. I recall his high jump video, what bar did he jump and how high was it set? it was 48 inches right?)

now, in the current era, you have teams that value floor spacing. as people have said befoe, 34% from teh three point line is better than 51% from the 2 point line.

modern powerforwards such as dirk and garnett. i dont know much about garnett,
so ill talk about dirk

goat stretch forward. decently athletic. not the strongest, but had an unstoppable shot. was just great.

now in 2020, picture a healthy davis who has ABSOLUTELY MAXIMIZED his potential.

- basically almost as good a shooter as dirk (have you seen him practice!? I know its practicce and friggin dwight shot 80/100 free throws, but literally, 16 pointers, all of them were NOTHING but net)

-GREAT defender, russell level. (lets look at the physical tools. imo, his draft express standing reach is bs. he has a MUCH longer wingspan and is taller than dwight, yet his reach is shorter?) at 260 pounds at this point. also he got a lot taller. i would guess his standing reach is around a good deal higher than cousins (cousins looks short compared to davis now. heck, he looks taller than duncan lately too) tbh, other than strength, he is almost wilt like. his standing reach is probably 1-3 inches shorter. his vertical is comparable, tough obviously wilts is higher. and his offball defending will prolly be better than wilts, as imo wilt's defense off ball wasnt at a great level. man to man, he is the top 3 all time one on one defenders. much lower beyond that.

- obviously a great athlete. he had a vertical of 35.5 inches as a high schooler. he got MUCH more athletic. wouldnt be suprised if it was around 38 inches. is VERY fast. not wilt fast, but fast enough that it doesent matter lol.

- can shoot from anywhere on the court

- a great passer, because of his innate guard skills

- went to hakeem camp, which he might go to. his post moves are getting better

-260 punds

- sacrifices wealth for championships

- team player chemistry wise

- becomes the goat defender when he grows his unibrow to 9ft and uses it to block every shot imaginable

Not for one second am i Saying will be better than wilt, but tbh, if he maximizes his potential, i believe he could do better than wilt IN THIS ERA. he would NOT do better than wilt in WILT's era

]
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,191

Post#33 » by tsherkin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:10 am

CavaliersFTW wrote:
When did Willis Reed give Wilt trouble for physical reasons? Because I have a Willis Reed interview from 1970 after G3 I believe of the Finals:

Visibly so in the Finals, when Wlt was going ot the rim on basically everyone else but was forced further out and to shoot more poorly by Reed.

[quote[
As far as ways Wilt could be outplayed by a player like Reed, well Reed was a great offensive player with a lot of fakes and quickness and he could step outside to pull a guy like Wilt away from the basket when he gets a hot hand.
[/quote]

Reed wasn't a great offensive player, leastwise outside of 69 and 70 (when he was fantastic). He was a solid one. The threat of his J certainly did a number on Wilt's defensive efficacy, there I'l agree, but remember that you're talking about a fairly unimpressive shooter who didn't kill it at the line. "Great" is a bit of hyperbole, even considering his era.

And I also have quotes of Phil Jackson (Willis' teammate at the time) saying Wilt did have a weakness the Knicks liked to exploit related in part to the rules of the game and in part one of Wilt's philosophies of play at that time. According to Jackson, Wilt did not like to spin or drive strong the middle if a player stepped in front of him flopped and the ref called it an offensive foul. Refs did not like to call flops back then but the offensive charging rules were a lot less lenient back then, even slight shoulder to chest contact was whistled a charge back then, and I have film of Willis Reed flopping against Wilt in the 1973 Finals game that recently surfaced so that's one way Reed and his Knicks could/would prevent Wilt from driving inside with impunity. It's exploitation of rules, using Wilt's strength against him.

Understand, the premise of my argument is not "Wilt sucks," or really to denigrate him as a scorer. I specifically noted a dislike for his finger roll, but the rest of my post was pretty complimentary. There's a bit of a deification of Wilt that I find out of sorts with NBA history and the full measure of understanding regarding his play to which I often respond in such threads as this, and that's where I'm coming from, but I consider him a perennial MVP contender in any era. I think you're overplaying his utility as a scorer based on his volume numbers without regard for their comparatively limp impact on team offense and playoff translation, but I think his merit as an offensive focus is a wholly separate issue, one dependent upon coach. Hannum and Sharman did some damned impressive stuff with Wilt, who continuously proved himself an adaptable player in that respect.

Just keep in mind that Wilt had a less impressive power game than Shaq, and even then, O'neal could do only so much against certain kinds of defenses and individual defenders, and with his FT and range issues. The same thing is true of Wilt, and even with his physical gifts, he'd have had trouble with certain matchups.

In the case of Reed, Wilt had difficulty moving him. Whatever Reed said, that seems to be what the available game tape shows, and not just hobbly Wilt coming off of knee issues. I don't contest that Reed flopped betimes, but that happens in the contemporary game as well, and the help coverage is more advanced today.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#34 » by Mazter » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:25 pm

CavaliersFTW wrote:There is no magic formula to figure out what Wilt would average today, there was none in his own era nobody would have predicted what he could have done then based on formulas or assumptions and no one can do it today. We only know what he did.

Wilt started his career averaging 20.9 per 36 minutes as a rookie and ended with 15.5/36min in 73. His team's pace and average rebounds in his rookie year (133.3/78.9) was much higher than in his last (112.0/56.9). Now the ratio between Wilt's rebound per 36 minutes against his team's rebounds per game has been between 0.25 and 0.31 throughout his career. As for ratio rebounds/36 against his team's pace this has been between .128 and .157 (which has lesser value because of FG efficiency). The lowest Wilt's team averaged in his career is 50.7 rebounds and a 112.0 pace. I guess it is very much safe to say that in an era where the leading team averaged 46.3 rebounds and played at a 98.3 pace, and where every player's minutes are managed by coaches to under 40 minutes, Wilt would not be cracking 20, and maybe not even 15 rebounds for a season, let alone for a career. It has nothing to do with any magic formula, just with common sense. There is a clear relation between rebounding and pace, even throughout Wilt's career. Btw, the ratio for Jerry Lucas (the third best rebounder of that era) in his Royals years is between 0.22 and 0.29 which isn't that very far from Wilt's or Bill's (0.25-0.29). So altough I believe he and Bill were the best rebounders of their era, it wasn't like it was a super human effort. He was just averaging so much because of his high minutes and high pace (Celtics and Warriors always led the league in pace).

CavaliersFTW wrote:I don't put numbers on these things, I think there isn't such a thing as a formula for coming up with his stats. I think he did whatever it took to do what was asked of him - and then some. For example, when he averaged 50 that wasn't just some arbitrary number he happened to put up outclassing everyone. It was a number his coach specifically asked him to try and attain - with the team on board, thus the huge jump from 37 to 50ppg. His leading the league in assists was a personal goal he had set for himself, after he came close finishing 3rd after Hannum asked him to keep his wing players going. His goals for leading the league in accuracy, same things. He set insanely lofty goals, and he crushed them with impunity. And I don't think anybody in the history of the game could stop him from setting lofty goals, and accomplishing them just the same. He did things no one had ever done before he came into the league, and that nobody has ever done since. I don't see how that wouldn't be the same today, with Jerry Lucas sized players like Al Jefferson leading centers in scoring, Ibaka leading in blocks, Kevin Love in rebounding, etc. Wilt physically outclasses these guys and every big man in the league by a mile and his scoring repertoire was a "Tim Duncans unstoppable bank shot" "Dirks unstoppable fade-away" and Shaquille O'Neal drop steps to the middle to finish with a dunk or a finger roll layup that only the soft giant hands of a Julius Erving or Michael Jordan could duplicate. In a body bigger, quicker, stronger, and A LOT faster than Hassan Whiteside who terrorized the league defensively last season with physical tools alone.

Only problem is there is no place for personal goals in today's game, unless you are in tanking mode. No coach would ask Wilt to score 50, not even 30, and certainly not play 45+ minutes. Team ball is today's game, and it is perimeter oriented. The big guy is just meant to be a rim protector and are easily exploited by switching them on a point guard via a screen. Al Jefferson leads among big man in scoring because of his ability to hit from midrange (33% of his shots at 38%). Ibaka leads in blocks because of his sublime help defense which is very energy consuming and foul risky. Love was leading in rebounds because of a high amount of uncontested defensive rebounds after long shots. The time of feeding big men in the post for a hook shot, big men jumping horizontal to swat balls out of midair or big men battling each other in the paint for a rebound after a miss are long gone. And they won't come back, not even if you teleport all the big men from the past to this era. Players have become too skilled and team tactics have become much more advanced. And there are too many shooters in the league, a 40+% 3-point shot beats any sub-60% 2 point shot at efficiency any day.

CavaliersFTW wrote:This, in a guy with the competitive drive of wanting to be the best ever at everything he does. Can't put numbers on a player like that, they do whatever they want and make a lot of head lines and set a lot of records along the way.

I don't think Wilt would be doing whatever he want in this era. Wilt could do whatever he want in the sixties because of the respect he gained in high school/college and with the Globetrotters. And because of the way big men were utilized back then. In today's era Wilt would be just like any other top center in HS/College. And I don't think any coach would give him the key to the franchise in his rookie year as the Warriors did back then. He would be a top center for sure but he would develop in a complete different player from the get go.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#35 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:32 pm

He would dominate for sure nowadays but say he was in the league in the 90's against the bigs then or early 2000's he wouldn't be the apparent best big on the floor.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Dipper 13
Starter
And1: 1,427

Post#36 » by Dipper 13 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:56 pm

As much as anything, Wilt's UPPER body strength was remarkable. His lower body strength was very good, but far less impressive. I think he'd have a decent amount of trouble (relative to his usual dominance) going against someone like Cousins.

Wayne Embry also had a very strong base, much like Reed & Unseld. He may have also given Wilt a "decent amount of trouble", but Wilt still had his way in the end. You may point to 1968 when Wilt was playing injured, which is a fair point. But even then he was no longer the big time scorer.

In 1964-65 and 1965-66, with Embry as his primary defender, Wilt averaged 36.6 pts shooting 54.9 FG% vs. the Royals. This is from a sample size of 23 games (both regular season and playoff). No TS% as the efficiency measurement since his FT% has little to do with Embry's one on one post defense. Except if you make the argument that the hard fouls affected Wilt's stamina causing him to miss some otherwise makeable FT's. It's unfortunate we don't have any full game footage at all from Wilt in the 1960s to determine this. I know the Royals were not a good defensive team, but if Wilt had so much trouble scoring on powerful undersized bigs with a lower base, then why not Embry? I agree his volume would certainly go down, in those 23 games he was averaging 27.2 FGA, but his already excellent floor efficiency would also increase.

Looking at his FGA per game, Wilt was never in a volume scoring role in his career that had him below 25 FGA. He went from 25.2 shots to 14.1 in one year, if we could have seen him from roughly 18-19 FGA per game, I am sure we would also see excellent (estimated) offensive results from the team. Certainly much better than him above 25 or even 30 FGA.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#37 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:26 pm

Dipper 13 wrote:

As much as anything, Wilt's UPPER body strength was remarkable. His lower body strength was very good, but far less impressive. I think he'd have a decent amount of trouble (relative to his usual dominance) going against someone like Cousins.

Wayne Embry also had a very strong base, much like Reed & Unseld. He may have also given Wilt a "decent amount of trouble", but Wilt still had his way in the end. You may point to 1968 when Wilt was playing injured, which is a fair point. But even then he was no longer the big time scorer.

In 1964-65 and 1965-66, with Embry as his primary defender, Wilt averaged 36.6 pts shooting 54.9 FG% vs. the Royals. This is from a sample size of 23 games (both regular season and playoff). No TS% as the efficiency measurement since his FT% has little to do with Embry's one on one post defense. Except if you make the argument that the hard fouls affected Wilt's stamina causing him to miss some otherwise makeable FT's. It's unfortunate we don't have any full game footage at all from Wilt in the 1960s to determine this. I know the Royals were not a good defensive team, but if Wilt had so much trouble scoring on powerful undersized bigs with a lower base, then why not Embry? I agree his volume would certainly go down, in those 23 games he was averaging 27.2 FGA, but his already excellent floor efficiency would also increase.

Looking at his FGA per game, Wilt was never in a volume scoring role in his career that had him below 25 FGA. He went from 25.2 shots to 14.1 in one year, if we could have seen him from roughly 18-19 FGA per game, I am sure we would also see excellent (estimated) offensive results from the team. Certainly much better than him above 25 or even 30 FGA.

I mean, when you think about it, 35 ppg on around 45-48 minutes a game equates to 28 ppg per 38 minutes

also nate thurmond held wilt to around 24.1 ppg in 1995-1997 ( I took a sample size of 20 games, though in 2 of these seasons he averaged 24.8, the first 2 seasons he averaged around 34 ppg, meaning in this sample size he averaged around 28 ppg overall)

In the season where he averaged 34 ppg, thurmond held him to 26.6 ppg. in the next season where he averaged 33.5, thurmond held him to 28.5 ppg

per 40 minutes, these numbers are around 24 ppg against thurmond.

imo, his numbers need to be taken in consideration with his minutes. off ball movement would make him run alot more than he did in the 60s (he said he didnt like to leave the rim unprotected, so he would just camp there, while now people can still do that, but they almost always have to run more on defense) But him averaging 40+ minutes in the spacing era is very possible.

Thurmond was 225 pounds and around 6ft 11 (probably a little bit shorter than 7ft in shoes)
(235 pounds seems more reasonable tbh)

This is not to detract from wilt. Thurmond imo is the geatest man to man post defender ever. tbh Russell was overrated in this regard. however, his overall team/help defense put him as the greatest defender ever.

It also should be noted that thurmond probably "got used" to defending wilt later in his career, but this coincided with wilt being more of a team player

But thurmond was a player who could regularly hold wilt below his scoring average (held him to 22.9 per game in seasons where he averaged 29.2 overall ) and also held him during his more scoring yeas

In the playoffs, the only times they met were when wil scored around 24 per game. however, this coincided with his huge jump in field goals.

in the first playoff series, wilt averaged 17.6 on 56% in a season where he averaged 68% on 24 ppg.
wilt averaged around 28-29 rebounds, while nate averaged 26-27 rebounds

in the next playoff series, while he was averaging 20 on 58%, thurmond held him to 12 on 50% (wilt won the rebounding battle 23.5 to 19.5)

kareem also beat wilt in the playoffs in 1972 (wilt averaged 11-19-3- on 45%, while kareem averaged 34-17-5 on 46%

thurmond then held kareem to 23-16 on 42% shooting. this is about the same numbers as how thurmond held prime wilt. so prime wilt is only slightly superior to kareem based on this. also, thurmond obviously had a matchup advantage over kareem.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#38 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:51 pm

I also recall his wingspan is around 7ft 6-7ft7, which is inbetween cousins wingspan and davis's current reported wingspan

Dipper 13
Starter
And1: 1,427

Post#39 » by Dipper 13 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:56 pm

in the next season where he averaged 33.5, thurmond held him to 28.5 ppg

Not only 28.5 points, but he also held Wilt to 45.4% FG, which is quite amazing considering what he was shooting against the rest of the league that season (55.0%). I know he held KAJ in the early 70's well below his average not only in scoring but also efficiency.

I have never seen another 1 on 1 defensive big man demonstrate such remarkable footwork defensively in the available game footage. This below is an amazing recovery that Thurmond makes look so simple.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#40 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:22 pm

Dipper 13 wrote:
in the next season where he averaged 33.5, thurmond held him to 28.5 ppg

Not only 28.5 points, but he also held Wilt to 45.4% FG, which is quite amazing considering what he was shooting against the rest of the league that season (55.0%). I know he held KAJ in the early 70's well below his average not only in scoring but also efficiency.

I have never seen another 1 on 1 defensive big man demonstrate such remarkable footwork defensively in the available game footage. This below is an amazing recovery that Thurmond makes look so simple.

Thurmond is by FAR the best man to man defender in the post imo.

problem was his help defense and pr defense werent nearly as good. underrrated though. but i recall him saying he didnt think he would be able to handle shaqs strength (obviously he would hinder shaq, but i recall him saying that he didnot think he would have the same success, obviously because of some new rules to though)

also, i would like to note that he was a physical freak of nature. 7ft and a 7ft 6 wingspan is bigger than any star center in the league today miinus davis, who isnt as strong (Davis is reported to be 6ft 11 barefooot and has grown to a 7ft 8+wingpsan according to last offseason)

Return to Player Comparisons