RealGM Greatest Peaks Project---List, Interest, Metathinking thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: RE: Re: RealGM Greatest Peaks Project---Interest and Metathinking thread 

Post#101 » by SactoKingsFan » Sun Sep 6, 2015 9:24 pm

GoldenFrieza21 wrote:I would like to participate. I know my post count is an issue. But if I posted in the first few and made good contributions could I be added to the list?

It's up to trex, but I'm pretty sure he'd add you to the voting panel if you make solid posts in the first few threads.
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 819

Re: RealGM Greatest Peaks Project---Interest and Metathinking thread 

Post#102 » by Narigo » Sun Sep 6, 2015 10:01 pm

Is it too late to sign up for this? If not I would like to sign up
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#103 » by Quotatious » Sun Sep 6, 2015 10:07 pm

Narigo wrote:Is it too late to sign up for this? If not I would like to sign up

I don't see why it would be too late. The more people we can get, the better - some people will probably lose interest in late stages of this project, so the more voters we have right now, the more we are likely to have in the end.

Obviously Trex is the commissioner, so he'll decide, but I don't see why not.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#104 » by PCProductions » Sun Sep 6, 2015 10:30 pm

If it isn't too late, I would love to participate!
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#105 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Sep 7, 2015 12:27 am

trex_8063 wrote:
mischievous wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
Done.
If you haven't already done so, please read thoroughly thru the OP, as well as post #82 (at the very least) to get the gist of how this will work.

Already did. But to get clarity, when a spot is won by a player there won't be a year attached to them because of the disagreements on the year correct?

Correct. A player is going to get credit for all ballots cast for him in a voting round, regardless of the year specified. However, since I would like to recognize which year people attach the most value to, we will generally be having a side-thread to determine consensus on his peak year after he's been voted in (that is: a thread that is running alongside the peaks project at the same time, so that we don't have to delay moving on to the next place/rank in the peaks project while determining the year).

Which reminds me, I meant to put this forth in post #82: I propose that if there is 75+% consensus on a player's peak within the primary thread in which he gets voted in, that we NOT bother with a side-thread. If, otoh, we have less <75% consensus, I'll conduct a side-thread in which people can make their case for one year over another and officially cast their opinion/vote on which year is his best.

Example: suppose when Magic Johnson gets voted in, there are 15 ballots cast for him--->13 are for '87, and two are for '89.....even though it's not unanimous, I propose we simply declare '87 the consensus peak year WITHOUT conducting a side thread (i.e. save the side-threads for when it's actually somewhat close).

Reasonable?
SideshowBob wrote:.

NyCeEvO wrote:.

The-Power wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

Quotatious wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

RSCD_3 wrote:.

Mutnt wrote:.

SKF_85 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

JordansBulls wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

theonlyclutch wrote:.

thizznation wrote:.

Hi!
I would like to participate
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#106 » by drza » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:01 am

Just saw this, didn't know there was a project coming up. My time may be up-and-down, but if it's cool I'd like to participate where I can.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#107 » by ceiling raiser » Mon Sep 7, 2015 2:22 pm

trex - Apologies, I have to withdraw from the voting panel. I would have loved to participate (and still intend to share whatever useful information I have when I have free time again), but due to a personal situation, I don't have the time to commit to form an opinion and construct/defend arguments. Sorry for any confusion, good luck voters.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 566

Post#108 » by Gregoire » Mon Sep 7, 2015 5:11 pm

fpliii wrote:trex - Apologies, I have to withdraw from the voting panel. I would have loved to participate (and still intend to share whatever useful information I have when I have free time again), but due to a personal situation, I don't have the time to commit to form an opinion and construct/defend arguments. Sorry for any confusion, good luck voters.

Very bad news. But could you give us your first glance list of top-3?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
urnoggin
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#109 » by urnoggin » Mon Sep 7, 2015 5:15 pm

I'd like to participate if possible. Obviously, I'm super new but I'm confident that I can contribute to the discussions. Will understand if I'm not allowed in for this one and need more rep on here to participate. Thanks.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#110 » by Quotatious » Mon Sep 7, 2015 5:30 pm

urnoggin wrote:I'd like to participate if possible. Obviously, I'm super new but I'm confident that I can contribute to the discussions. Will understand if I'm not allowed in for this one and need more rep on here to participate. Thanks.

I'm not the one who decides, but you've been solid so far. I think you should be accepted.

I think everyone who makes a few decent posts in this project (or even in other threads), should be accepted.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,266

Post#111 » by trex_8063 » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:29 pm

drza wrote:Just saw this, didn't know there was a project coming up. My time may be up-and-down, but if it's cool I'd like to participate where I can.

Absolutely you can join! I was hoping (when I saw you post in the #1 thread) that you'd climb aboard and be a consistent participant; your opinion is always welcome (imo :wink: ).

fpliii wrote:trex - Apologies, I have to withdraw from the voting panel. I would have loved to participate (and still intend to share whatever useful information I have when I have free time again), but due to a personal situation, I don't have the time to commit to form an opinion and construct/defend arguments. Sorry for any confusion, good luck voters.

Sorry you won't have the time. I'm going to leave your name on the voter list; feel free to pop in and contribute whatever and whenever you can.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
urnoggin
Freshman

Post#112 » by urnoggin » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:35 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
drza wrote:Just saw this, didn't know there was a project coming up. My time may be up-and-down, but if it's cool I'd like to participate where I can.

Absolutely you can join! I was hoping (when I saw you post in the #1 thread) that you'd climb aboard and be a consistent participant; your opinion is always welcome (imo :wink: ).

Sorry you won't have the time. I'm going to leave your name on the voter list; feel free to pop in and contribute whatever and whenever you can.

Hey trex, still wondering if I could participate (see post #109). Ready to make a post in the other thread if I am accepted!
Thanks for the consideration :D
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#113 » by trex_8063 » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:36 pm

PCProductions wrote:If it isn't too late, I would love to participate!

Narigo wrote:Is it too late to sign up for this? If not I would like to sign up

Can't remember if I'd mentioned it yet, but I've entered you both in the voter pool.

urnoggin wrote:I'd like to participate if possible. Obviously, I'm super new but I'm confident that I can contribute to the discussions. Will understand if I'm not allowed in for this one and need more rep on here to participate. Thanks.

The broader discussion is more or less open to anyone. If you wish to be able to cast ballots, please contribute to the discussion for the first thread or two; if you're providing reasonable content and appear to have "honorable intentions", I'll quickly enter you into the voter pool.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's our primary means of avoiding inadvertently green-lighting trolls or agenda-mongers. Not saying you're one of those, but obviously (with <10 posts) we don't quite know who you are. I hope you understand.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
urnoggin
Freshman

Post#114 » by urnoggin » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:40 pm

trex_8063 wrote:

The broader discussion is more or less open to anyone. If you wish to be able to cast ballots, please contribute to the discussion for the first thread or two; if you're providing reasonable content and appear to have "honorable intentions", I'll quickly enter you into the voter pool.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's our primary means of avoiding inadvertently green-lighting trolls or agenda-mongers. Not saying you're one of those, but obviously (with <10 posts) we don't quite know who you are. I hope you understand.

Not a problem. I will be making posts in the first few threads to build my reputation
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#115 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:56 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:So this thread is closing out, but I want to ask a general question as we move forward:

Those of you relying heavily on box score information, how confident are you that any results are actually measuring something real? For example, is the difference between Michael's scoring statistics and Shaq's really enough for you to proclaim Jordan the better scorer? Are we exactly sure that either guy was actually picking the best shot distribution for his team? I mean we're dripping with evidence for guys like Magic and Nash but for Jordan and Shaq it's not even clear that volume scoring above a certain threshold has any real value at all.

In my opinion there's too much stock being put into numbers and things that are "objective" and thus sort of unassailable. I understand they provide valuable information, but nuanced comparisons like this can't really come down to a difference in a few key statistics that may actually come up as neutral in a global context.

drza is kind of pushing this angle as well, and I hope to see more of it. Because here's something key to understand: stats are used on a scale. If you measure two tables in nanometers, the difference between them appears gargantuan. But in terms of "functional" difference, you can tell just from looking at them they're essentially the same size. Now in this case one table is inarguably "bigger" than another, but to end a discussion of merit there would be foolish.

A difference of ~5 ppg is much, much, much smaller than we realize, and when we consider everything that goes into global impact, it honestly shouldn't register.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#116 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Sep 9, 2015 3:30 pm

Just throwing it out there... is anyone interested in going to a 48 hr time limit? The discussion has been great, and I just feel like i haven't had quite enough time to research as much as i'd like. Seems like the ballot system will avoid runoffs, so we typically would be done in 48 hours for each vote.

I'm fine with continuing at 36 hrs if i'm in the minority, though.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#117 » by The-Power » Wed Sep 9, 2015 3:54 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:Just throwing it out there... is anyone interested in going to a 48 hr time limit? The discussion has been great, and I just feel like i haven't had quite enough time to research as much as i'd like. Seems like the ballot system will avoid runoffs, so we typically would be done in 48 hours for each vote.

I agree that more time could help at times. The question is: does the stretching of the project cause less interest for the later spots? The discussions have been great but with the 3-ballots-system those will be carried over to the other threads regardless, because every time only one player will be off the board while we're simultaneously discussing half a dozen players. However, I wouldn't have a problem if we extend the voting-time to 48h at the beginning and speed it up when some people start losing interest. Or we could stick to the 36h window and trex can decide to extend it to 48h every time he feels like the discussion is still productive and some voters are still undecided.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#118 » by JordansBulls » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:14 am

Old list in case anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1197732
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#119 » by trex_8063 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:34 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Just throwing it out there... is anyone interested in going to a 48 hr time limit? The discussion has been great, and I just feel like i haven't had quite enough time to research as much as i'd like. Seems like the ballot system will avoid runoffs, so we typically would be done in 48 hours for each vote.

Not sure anyone is more rushed by the 36-hour window than me. Not only do I have read posts, and post my own thoughts, ballots, and responses, etc......I've also got to respond or message new would-be voters who spontaneously show up in the thread or [less commonly, unfortunately] in the metathinking thread to inform them of protocol, count the ballots, create the new thread (and PM penbeast to sticky it for us), and post the most recently voted in on the OP of metathinking thread (with link). I'll also shortly have to post (and get stickied) the side-thread for purpose gaining a consensus on a certain players' peak year.

When life gets busy (like these last couple days), I won't be able to take care of all this and strictly adhere to the 36-hour schedule; so it will happen on occasion (like the #2 thread) where we end up going closer to 48 hours anyway. And besides, as The-Power has stated, we'll get a lot of carry-over from thread to thread with the ballot system.

But I'd like to try to adhere to a 36-hour schedule as often as possible, as there were concerns about participation dwindling as soon as the rs starts, which was the primary reasoning behind the 36-hour schedule: to get as much in as possible before that happens.

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#120 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:33 am

If Shaq has top 2 peak of all time for many I am surprised he doesn't get momentum for top 3-4 on the ATL more often. He doesn't lose much on longevity or playoff performances compared to others

Return to Player Comparisons