The Kevin Durant Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: The Kevin Durant Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1) 

Post#141 » by bondom34 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:07 am

Wall34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Wall34 wrote:
Does that invalidate my opinion some how? I was just making a observation from my own personal experiences with NBA casuals and so called OKC fans...maybe these OKC fans weren't really OKC fans though so i apologize :lol:

NBA casuals hate Westbrook. Hell KD is the reason I became a Thunder fan, then Russ won me over. Neither isn't appreciated but if its either its Russ, as soon as they hit a losing streak, its almost always his fault. Just because you're a KD fan doesn't mean trashing a fanbase is good.

"NBA casuals hate Westbrook" ehh nope not the case imo or hasn't been for a while...Admittedly RW was the scapegoat in the earlier years but since 2014 playoffs Westbrook has gotten more love deservingly but with that came more slights against KD.

"RW Alpha. KD Beta."

"RW is Batman. KD Robin."

These are comments said alot by the NBA casual today...hell before that when RW got injured by Patrick Beverly and OKC got eliminated by the Grizzlies casuals were calling him a choker and that Westbrook was OKC's true best player...They'd also thought KD would get exposed when RW was slated to miss time during the 2014 season but then KD went on that run.

You are admittedly a RW fan/OKC fan and me a KD fan so maybe we got different perspectives and different experience outside of the internet.

There was a thread literally a week ago on the GB started about Russ costing KD several years of his career. I haven't seen anyone around here with that alpha/beta BS. I don't know if you are on ISH or not, but if so, that's your own fault. And "casual fans" aren't OKC fans. He's appreciated and Russ still gets blame when they lose. I'm a KD fan too, but you're just seeing this from a side that doesn't exist.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Wall34
Pro Prospect
And1: 146

Post#142 » by Wall34 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:22 am

bondom34 wrote:
Wall34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:NBA casuals hate Westbrook. Hell KD is the reason I became a Thunder fan, then Russ won me over. Neither isn't appreciated but if its either its Russ, as soon as they hit a losing streak, its almost always his fault. Just because you're a KD fan doesn't mean trashing a fanbase is good.

"NBA casuals hate Westbrook" ehh nope not the case imo or hasn't been for a while...Admittedly RW was the scapegoat in the earlier years but since 2014 playoffs Westbrook has gotten more love deservingly but with that came more slights against KD.

"RW Alpha. KD Beta."

These are comments said alot by the NBA casual today...hell before that when RW got injured by Patrick Beverly and OKC got eliminated by the Grizzlies casuals were calling him a choker and that Westbrook was OKC's true best player...They'd also thought KD would get exposed when RW was slated to miss time during the 2014 season but then KD went on that run.

You are admittedly a RW fan/OKC fan and me a KD fan so maybe we got different perspectives and different experience outside of the internet.

There was a thread literally a week ago on the GB started about Russ costing KD several years of his career. I haven't seen anyone around here with that alpha/beta BS. I don't know if you are on ISH or not, but if so, that's your own fault. And "casual fans" aren't OKC fans. He's appreciated and Russ still gets blame when they lose. I'm a KD fan too, but you're just seeing this from a side that doesn't exist.

I am guessing the part you missed when i posted the following

"maybe we got different perspectives and different experience outside of the internet."

Spouting out garbage like i am delusional or i am on that "ISH" is real mature lol yeah not trying to go back in forth with a irrational RW fan have a nice day.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by bondom34 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:34 am

Wall34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Wall34 wrote:

"RW Alpha. KD Beta."

"maybe we got different perspectives and different experience outside of the internet."

Spouting out garbage like i am delusional or i am on that "ISH" is real mature lol yeah not trying to go back in forth with a irrational RW fan have a nice day.

Maybe you missed calling Thunder fans unappreciative being a shot at the fan base?

Yeah, because Durant is plenty appreciated. Just because he's your fave doesn't mean he's everyone's. Its a great duo, and Thunder fans appreciate both. You made up the alpha/beta stuff because I rarely see that, while I see anti-Westbrook threads about 10 times more.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Wall34
Pro Prospect
And1: 146

Post#144 » by Wall34 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:24 am

bondom34 wrote:
Wall34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:There was a thread literally a week ago on the GB started about Russ costing KD several years of his career. I haven't seen anyone around here with that alpha/beta BS. I don't know if you are on ISH or not, but if so, that's your own fault. And "casual fans" aren't OKC fans. He's appreciated and Russ still gets blame when they lose. I'm a KD fan too, but you're just seeing this from a side that doesn't exist.

Maybe you missed calling Thunder fans unappreciative being a shot at the fan base?

Yeah, because Durant is plenty appreciated. Just because he's your fave doesn't mean he's everyone's. Its a great duo, and Thunder fans appreciate both. You made up the alpha/beta stuff because I rarely see that, while I see anti-Westbrook threads about 10 times more.

I didn't make up that alpha/beta garbage...here's the thing just because you haven't seen that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Apologize about the knock against your fan base..
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by bondom34 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 am

Wall34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Wall34 wrote:

I didn't make up that alpha/beta garbage...here's the thing just because you haven't seen that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Apologize about the knock against your fan base..

No problem, and sorry it got heated (sort of?). I know you're a good guy, just took that line the wrong way. I've seen the alpha/beta stuff, but just see Russ get slammed a ton too. As for the threads, the KD thread was dead last year b/c he hardly played, so its kind of slow starting. Russ gained a ton of fans last year, so that's grown more in the mean time.

Again, peace man and sorry, I know you're cool :D.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#146 » by spearsy23 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:36 am

RE Westbrook thread vs this thread, KD missed a bunch of games and the Russ thread has doubled as the Dion Waiters thread :lol:

This is the first time in their careers Russ has ever gotten anywhere near as much positive attention as KD, and IMO it's about time people realize they are both just as important to the team as the other. I've always liked Russ, but KD was my guy for several years (since Texas) until Russ's fire absolutely won me over. I still LOVE KD, but Russ absolutely is deserving of any adulation he gets, and if we ever win a championship I hope he is the MVP just to rub it in all of the idiots faces.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,810

Post#147 » by GSP » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:31 pm

How crazy would it be if two teammates had a 30+ PER. Definitely on pace to be the Goat duo, really is a 2 man team. They are the entire offense and dont have the defensive pieces like they used to, especially with how mediocre Ibaka has been so far
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#148 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Sitting at the 4th best career ppg average all-time now. LeBron's dropped to 5th. KD at 27.33, LeBron at 27.32. Gap should only grow from now. Wilt and Jordan seem out of reach, but he could finish above Baylor when he retires.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#149 » by SideshowBob » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:56 pm

GSP wrote:How crazy would it be if two teammates had a 30+ PER. Definitely on pace to be the Goat duo, really is a 2 man team. They are the entire offense and dont have the defensive pieces like they used to, especially with how mediocre Ibaka has been so far

Best single-year offensive duo ever IMO.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Goodfellaz
Junior
And1: 172

Post#150 » by Goodfellaz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 pm

GSP wrote:How crazy would it be if two teammates had a 30+ PER. Definitely on pace to be the Goat duo, really is a 2 man team. They are the entire offense and dont have the defensive pieces like they used to, especially with how mediocre Ibaka has been so far

yup, what they are doing is very special..awesome to watch.... with that being said, still don't think they can beat gs/spurs in the playoffs...rest of okc's team is horrible and just doesn't mesh well.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,164

Post#151 » by cpower » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:02 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Sitting at the 4th best career ppg average all-time now. LeBron's dropped to 5th. KD at 27.33, LeBron at 27.32. Gap should only grow from now. Wilt and Jordan seem out of reach, but he could finish above Baylor when he retires.

I know PPG is a cool stat and all but PP100 should be the new consideration here since stars are not playing 40+ minutes anymore. KD will definitely have a good shot at Baylor.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by bondom34 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:47 am

Goodfellaz wrote:

yup, what they are doing is very special..awesome to watch.... with that being said, still don't think they can beat gs/spurs in the playoffs...rest of okc's team is horrible and just doesn't mesh well.

I mean, the defense has had a few issues, but "doesn't mesh well" isn't accurate at all. They've got the best support they've ever had this year. I don't give them a shot vs. GSW, but the Spurs they can beat.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#153 » by KD35Brah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:16 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/671403712397582336[/tweet]

Kevin Durant. Western Conf Player of the Week. In 3 wins, KD averaged 30.3 pts, 8.3 rebs, 3.7 assists, 2.3 blocks. He shot 58.5 percent from the field, 52.2 percent from three-point range and 94.4 percent from the foul line.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#154 » by KD35Brah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Durant's November

27.9 ppg 7.2 rpg 3.7 apg 1.0 stl 1.7 blk 2.8 TOV 1.0 PF 32.7 MPG

55.4 FG% 50.9 3P% 89.1 FT%

128 ORtg 99 DRtg

69.3 TS% 64.3 eFG%

33.8 PER .3487 WSp48
dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#155 » by dontcalltimeout » Fri Dec 4, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I don't want to start a new thread. Does anyone have a good explanation for why Durant always looks so underwhelming in RAPM and similar stats?

Not that he doesn't look good, but the numbers, eye test, and team success all point to all-time great, but RAPM has him consistently below Chris Paul, Harden, Curry, and even Westbrook. Not that they can't be all close, but before last year most would put Durant over everyone not named LeBron (and maybe CP3).
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#156 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Dec 4, 2015 5:16 pm

dontcalltimeout wrote:I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I don't want to start a new thread. Does anyone have a good explanation for why Durant always looks so underwhelming in RAPM and similar stats?

Not that he doesn't look good, but the numbers, eye test, and team success all point to all-time great, but RAPM has him consistently below Chris Paul, Harden, Curry, and even Westbrook. Not that they can't be all close, but before last year most would put Durant over everyone not named LeBron (and maybe CP3).

Those are all lead guards, might have to do with their ability to rack up assist and orchestrate their offenses.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 4, 2015 6:12 pm

dontcalltimeout wrote:I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I don't want to start a new thread. Does anyone have a good explanation for why Durant always looks so underwhelming in RAPM and similar stats?

A lot is also for any prior informed stuff, his rookie year was really awful.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#158 » by old rem » Fri Dec 4, 2015 7:16 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:
Firstly, I appreciate the fast response!

Now: Oh wow, I thought it would be some type of chemistry issue, but it seems even deeper than that. This is a coaching problem, I'm sure you know (at least a huge cause of the dysfunction). BUT - it's still very early in the season, and I think the Thunder are too talented top to bottom to not stable the ship, or it could be that Russ and KD don't entirely trust Donny's system yet. But you're saying everyone is complacent, hmm, how would you go about fixing these problems so far?

I don't even know for a lot of it, I think they're F'd. Donovan wants to do something and they don't have the time to piss around and do it without literally just practicing for weeks straight. But the rotations are easier, stop playing Singler, play Morrow, much less Waiters, put McGary in (hasn't played at all this year) and if DJ keeps sucking give Payne some burn and see what he can do. At least try it. But the biggest and most glaring is Morrow, there's no reason he should be getting 5 mpg.

Oh, and was just gonna post this on the OKC board but:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/662637056007520256[/tweet]

Pshaw, you have a really good feel for the pulse of this team, so if you're freaking out, I need to too. :-?

I was really against the Brooks firing from the start. He was a very good coach IMO. Clearly not elite, but also not in the vein that certain media members made him out to be. Was he a genius top 5 coaching prospect? No. Could he have led you to a title with this roster? Absolutely. His big flaw was lack of creativity, but he did a lot of things very well. I also thought it was a cheap shot that they used the "missed playoffs" thing to can him.

But the past is the past. I have a couple questions: 1. Donovan was considered a good NBA prospect because of his creative pick and roll sets, has there been any change in these plays specifically? Decoys, misdirection, spreading the floor, things like that? 2. Are they at least trying to run some sets? Under Brooks most of the time it was like all the isos were just his play calling.

And more fundamentally: do you think OKC needs a more creative offense in the first place? There's getting guys looks, which is great, but the average fan has jumped completely off the ledge and wants every team to look like the Spurs, and it misses the point of what the Spurs are doing and why that makes them great. OKC has two of the four or five best iso players in the league; IMO, iso SHOULD be a big part of their game plan.
Were ISO the grail.. OKC would have less losses. No question Durant and Westbrook are outstanding. But... what's winning NOW? No accident how well GSW,Spurs, Hawks are doing. There's a degree of "throwback" as Pros adapt to ZONE. Stuff college teams not loaded with stars doid.. even HS teams.. are getting merged into the NBA. A few years back.. my old HS did not have any big time scorer.. but made it to the semi finals by holding good teams to about 30 pt and a low%. We saw Hoosiers.....BALL MOVEMENT.. no chucking. TEAM game. That's now the PRO thing. OKC has as much sheer talent as anyone. What they LACK... is the max advantage of a TEAM that functions as a UNIT. That's about offense and defense. The Cavs... sort of have similar issues. LeBron TRIES but they just have guys who don't well adapt to that TEAM thing. LeBron gets it.. but not all players really adapt well.

With what GSW is doing... coaches are bound to copy. ( GSW and ATL stole from Popavich) Future drafts will focus more on the TEAM guy,the D guy, the guy who may not be a freak athlete but has skills, effort. OKC has guys who ain't adapting to the 2016 game. That will change, but not overnight.
CENSORED... No comment.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 4, 2015 7:18 pm

old rem wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I don't even know for a lot of it, I think they're F'd. Donovan wants to do something and they don't have the time to piss around and do it without literally just practicing for weeks straight. But the rotations are easier, stop playing Singler, play Morrow, much less Waiters, put McGary in (hasn't played at all this year) and if DJ keeps sucking give Payne some burn and see what he can do. At least try it. But the biggest and most glaring is Morrow, there's no reason he should be getting 5 mpg.

Oh, and was just gonna post this on the OKC board but:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/662637056007520256[/tweet]

Pshaw, you have a really good feel for the pulse of this team, so if you're freaking out, I need to too. :-?

I was really against the Brooks firing from the start. He was a very good coach IMO. Clearly not elite, but also not in the vein that certain media members made him out to be. Was he a genius top 5 coaching prospect? No. Could he have led you to a title with this roster? Absolutely. His big flaw was lack of creativity, but he did a lot of things very well. I also thought it was a cheap shot that they used the "missed playoffs" thing to can him.

But the past is the past. I have a couple questions: 1. Donovan was considered a good NBA prospect because of his creative pick and roll sets, has there been any change in these plays specifically? Decoys, misdirection, spreading the floor, things like that? 2. Are they at least trying to run some sets? Under Brooks most of the time it was like all the isos were just his play calling.

And more fundamentally: do you think OKC needs a more creative offense in the first place? There's getting guys looks, which is great, but the average fan has jumped completely off the ledge and wants every team to look like the Spurs, and it misses the point of what the Spurs are doing and why that makes them great. OKC has two of the four or five best iso players in the league; IMO, iso SHOULD be a big part of their game plan.
Were ISO the grail.. OKC would have less losses. No question Durant and Westbrook are outstanding. But... what's winning NOW? No accident how well GSW,Spurs, Hawks are doing. There's a degree of "throwback" as Pros adapt to ZONE. Stuff college teams not loaded with stars doid.. even HS teams.. are getting merged into the NBA. A few years back.. my old HS did not have any big time scorer.. but made it to the semi finals by holding good teams to about 30 pt and a low%. We saw Hoosiers.....BALL MOVEMENT.. no chucking. TEAM game. That's now the PRO thing. OKC has as much sheer talent as anyone. What they LACK... is the max advantage of a TEAM that functions as a UNIT. That's about offense and defense. The Cavs... sort of have similar issues. LeBron TRIES but they just have guys who don't well adapt to that TEAM thing. LeBron gets it.. but not all players really adapt well.

With what GSW is doing... coaches are bound to copy. ( GSW and ATL stole from Popavich) Future drafts will focus more on the TEAM guy,the D guy, the guy who may not be a freak athlete but has skills, effort. OKC has guys who ain't adapting to the 2016 game. That will change, but not overnight.

This is Donovan, he called for KD iso to end it. He said as much post game.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#160 » by spearsy23 » Sat Dec 5, 2015 4:39 am

The struggles have nothing to do with being iso-centric in 2016. The offense is ranked number 2 in the league. This narrative is so stupid.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to Player Comparisons