The Draymond Green Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

The Draymond Green Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1) 

Post#1 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 3, 2015 9:32 am

He definitely deserves a thread considering we have other teams with a couple of players having their own threads.

Second most important player on his team. I was worried about the lack of intensity during pre-season but he picked it up and starts the season where he left the last one: as a legit DPOY candidate. Very impressed with his defense even though we're already used to it by now.

However, what's mind-blowing is his playmaking. We run so many plays through his hands because he has tremendously improved his decision-making and passing over the past year(s). It's absolutely amazing and seriously flying under the radar. Have you seen that lob pass to Iggy last night? That's some serious display of passing-ability and he shows passing-skills every game right now. Who would have ever thought that he could be right up there with Griffin as the best passer among PFs? Because he is. Lobs, passes to cutters, kick-outs, outlet passing, the simple extra pass at the rim which is easy to do but not many have that awareness. He can do it all and has less stupid passes during the game. His good handles allow him to create constantly which makes him more valuble than say Love in this regard in my mind. Maybe the finals really sparked something, in coaches and Green alike.

His special synergy with Steph (sets great screens, can hit the open three from the top, can exploit 4vs3 opportunities with his playmaking, plays extremely unselfish and is always looking for Steph) has to make these two guys one of the best duos in the NBA. No doubt. Let's see how long it takes until the league catches up with it. :)
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Re: The Draymond Green Thread 

Post#2 » by DreDay » Tue Nov 3, 2015 9:42 am

Yep, his playmaking has definitely gone up a level. What jumps out as well is his improvements shooting. He's on a hot streak from 3 now, I don't expect that to last, but he's added a better floater to his game, and he even took a fadeaway midrange shot and hit it!

Not only that, but if teams switch their small guards on him, he's much more aggressive attacking them on the block and getting to the rim. We know he's a great passer and defender, but his scoring was something holding him back from true greatness, like in the first 3 games of the Cleveland series where he couldn't adapt at first. But now, his scoring has improved just enough that, combined with his excellent playmaking, make him an absolutely deadly weapon. No issues with ranking him as a top 3-5 PF at all right now, not that he didn't have a case last year, but he's on a higher level this year.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#3 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 3, 2015 9:55 am

DreDay wrote:Not only that, but if teams switch their small guards on him, he's much more aggressive attacking them on the block and getting to the rim.

True, I mentioned it in the Curry Thread after the last game or so. He really exploits mismatches in the post very well by now which is a great asset considering playing with Steph means you're getting some of those mismatches in PnR-situations. Either Steph's defender fights over the screen without losing much which is difficult to do, or else their PnR-game is lethal. Because then there are three possible outcomes: 1) the defender goes under the screen and the big man doesn't close enough which means a - for Curry - open three point shot. 2) the defender goes under the screen and the big man shows hard which opens up the lane towards the basket for Green and in case somebody rotates over he can pass the ball effectively. 3) they switch on the PnR which means either a mismatch for Draymond in the post or Curry blowing by the big man towards the rim. How are you going to stop that effectively?

Re: shooting: True. I mean, hopefully he can hit his threes close to 40% - that would be awesome for us and awful for the league. If you were Dray, what would you do during the off-season? Right, shooting threes from above the arc all day. Because when you are the main guy who sets screens for Curry you're going to get a ton of these looks. And as soon as the teams adjust and defend him more closely it makes life easier for Steph and Green can drive towards the basket and kick out to shooters, pass to the Center or a cutter or finish himself as well. Man, I'm so hyped. Curry and Green is such a fantastic duo, it's hard to fathom.
DreDay
General Manager

Post#4 » by DreDay » Tue Nov 3, 2015 10:32 am

The-Power wrote:
DreDay wrote:Not only that, but if teams switch their small guards on him, he's much more aggressive attacking them on the block and getting to the rim.

True, I mentioned it in the Curry Thread after the last game or so. He really exploits mismatches in the post very well by now which is a great asset considering playing with Steph means you're getting some of those mismatches in PnR-situations. Either Steph's defender fights over the screen without losing much which is difficult to do, or else their PnR-game is lethal. Because then there are three possible outcomes: 1) the defender goes under the screen and the big man doesn't close enough which means a - for Curry - open three point shot. 2) the defender goes under the screen and the big man shows hard which opens up the lane towards the basket for Green and in case somebody rotates over he can pass the ball effectively. 3) they switch on the PnR which means either a mismatch for Draymond in the post or Curry blowing by the big man towards the rim. How are you going to stop that effectively?

Re: shooting: True. I mean, hopefully he can hit his threes close to 40% - that would be awesome for us and awful for the league. If you were Dray, what would you do during the off-season? Right, shooting threes from above the arc all day. Because when you are the main guy who sets screens for Curry you're going to get a ton of these looks. And as soon as the teams adjust and defend him more closely it makes life easier for Steph and Green can drive towards the basket and kick out to shooters, pass to the Center or a cutter or finish himself as well. Man, I'm so hyped. Curry and Green is such a fantastic duo, it's hard to fathom.

Exactly. A lot of times last season, teams opted for number 3, and we relied a lot on Curry to work on the big man. It works and all, but it's always nice to have many reliable options. Green is becoming a reliable option. As teams go smaller and smaller to counter us, it's going to be more and more important to be able to get some inside scoring from Green as another release valve for Curry.

I really want to believe in Green being a 40% shooter, but I don't see it unfortunately. His jumpshot looks cleaner, but it doesn't look completely natural like most 40% shooters. I can see him at around 36-38% though, which is still amazing for what we need to accomplish.

It's hard to fathom, but also because it's completely new. The Curry and Green PnR is unlike anything we've seen in the NBA. It's not as flashy on the face of it like Stockton/Malone or Nash/Amare, but just as effective. Sure, Curry's special talent in the PnR gets all the accolades, but Green's role isn't really appreciated as well as it should be. It speaks volume to his playmaking ability and all round versatility that no matter what the D does, he will have the skills to make them pay. It's a trait associated with unguardable players, but Green is on track to approach that level in the PnR. I'm just really excited to see this dynamic grow this year and beyond.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#5 » by ceiling raiser » Tue Nov 3, 2015 3:09 pm

Great thread idea. :) Looking forward to insights from GSW and other DrayGOD fans this season.

The-Power wrote:True, I mentioned it in the Curry Thread after the last game or so. He really exploits mismatches in the post very well by now which is a great asset considering playing with Steph means you're getting some of those mismatches in PnR-situations.

Awesome to hear. That's exactly when the post-up should be utilized: when you have a matchup advantage. Green seems tremendous at identifying and taking advantage of these matchups (not only in terms of scoring, but playmaking as well).
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#6 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Nov 3, 2015 4:54 pm

fpliii wrote:DrayGOD

:D
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
The-Power
General Manager

Re: The Draymond Green Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1) 

Post#7 » by The-Power » Sat Nov 7, 2015 1:02 pm

Another stellar performance! He really emerges as the second best playmaker on the team. 12/9/8 with only 2 TO on 66.7 TS% in 33 minutes.

Incredible how he developed his playmaking skills, Curry being able to play off-ball while Green has the ball at the top and Curry having him to pass to when he is trapped or blitzed is extremely important to the Warriors' offense because this season's Green is going to create something almost every time. We already talked about his PnP-game with Curry but I'll repeat that he appears to have worked on his three - even though it still looks ugly - and this would be amazing. The second best duo this season so far?

Oh, and we apparently found our own Griffin/DAJ combo. :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgkdliJ6hgs[/youtube]
murphadam420
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#8 » by murphadam420 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 4:17 am

Draymond is overall looking great this year, but the biggest improvement (other than 3pt % which might be unsustainable) is his early offense passes out of a fast break. Last year Draymond tended to rush the ball up the court and then look at his passing options after crossing half court. This year he is dribbling with head up as soon as he grabs a rebound, and often he passes the ball before he reaches half court, creating a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 situation. Situational awareness in a fast break setting has really taken a leap, he is seeing one pass ahead of his own pass and trying to exploit odd man situations as soon as he grabs the rebound. The passes aren't the flashiest but the window to make those passes is so small and the consequences of a turnover are points the other way. I love watching him grab a rebound and survey the floor, fireworks almost always follow.
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#9 » by Atmanne » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:09 am

23 points, 8 boards, 12 assists tonight. Despite being an "old" rookie, he's improved leaps and bounds every offseason. Impressive stuff.
euliss
Junior
And1: 103

Post#10 » by euliss » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 am

Seeing his play making evolve so quickly is incredible. From 3.5 to 6.4 per game is pretty incredible.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,162

Post#11 » by cpower » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:12 am

although half of his assists belong to Curry, it's really impressive to see Green making good decisions. Last year he would drive in to the paint and throw up a crazy shot or commit a charge. He is playing at an all star level right now, I have him the 4th PF only behind Griffin, AD and PG
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#12 » by tmorgan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:28 am

Ever think about what player's game Draymond's game most resembles? He's not at the same level, obviously, with a lot less flash and a little extra grit (and mouth), but the answer really isn't that surprising when you think about it.

Magic Johnson.

Magic used all his energy running the break and leading his team, and his size and skills weren't really suited to playing good defense at the PG spot, but it was worth it with all the matchup problems he caused. Now imagine if Magic had entered the league with the Lakers with a HOF quality PG already on the roster, and he decided to play the position that fit his size. He was a gifted passer with great vision, but not a great ball-handler, really. He wasn't as thick as Draymond is already, but he was also younger and eventually became a pretty big guy as well. Rebounds, passing, questionable shot that he developed over time...

They had essentially the same college coaching, as Izzo is a Heathcote disciple.

It's not a perfect match, of course, but that's what I see when I watch Draymond play at a high level.
DreDay
General Manager

Post#13 » by DreDay » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:48 am

Good to see Green getting some recognition as a hell of a player in his own right this year. If he continues this play, he's going to turn those system player doubters around.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#14 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:13 am

Wow, the assists this guy is putting up is crazy.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#15 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Wow, the assists this guy is putting up is crazy.

Half of them belong to Curry for drawing a double and outletting to him for a two on one lob to Ezeli.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#16 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:29 am

Excellent game

19 Points on 100 TS%, 9 assists and great 4th quarter help defense
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#17 » by Krodis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:29 am

Draymond Green is ridiculously good. He's easily a Top 10 player imo, especially if his improved shooting sticks. The amount of defensive versatility he offers is insane. (Playing center with no other big men to help out? Check! Switching onto point guards? Also check!) The offense is almost a cherry on top, but if he's going to consistently put out huge assist numbers, shoot 40% from three, and take advantage of mis-matches... wow.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,757

Post#18 » by G35 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:32 am

I have to admit Draymond looks really good. I still think he is a super role player but what he does is so critical to the Warriors defense/success that you have to give him credit and place him in the upper echelon of players. Just not sure exactly where......
I'm so tired of the typical......
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 am

Yep, agree w the above, great game.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#20 » by JimmyTD3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:34 am

Still remember reading pages and pages and pages and pages of posts about how this guy was massively overpaid.

Just like I remember reading pages and pages about how Klay Thompson was overpaid.

(As of now, Dray is 8th in the NBA in assists per game lol)

Return to Player Comparisons