The Draymond Green Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

juice4080
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Re: The Draymond Green Thread (2015-16 Pt. 1) 

Post#141 » by juice4080 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:You and I have been having the same conversation in different places. The Warriors were more dominant with Green on the floor than the Spurs were against the Memphis Gas station clerks. This is astounding.

I'm open to anything at this point. I'm open to Dray being the GOAT peak if this continues :o

I'm not. Obviously I'm in camp Green, but I also think this team is stacked on the top end (I'm fairly high on Iggy/Klay this season, IMO Klay pretty much the 2nd best 3P shooter of all time) and Kerr's lineups are impeccable.

Dray's solidly around a +5ish player IMO, best in the league defense + all-star caliber super-portable offense, right below the level of an average MVP (ballparking here but last ~18 years would be +6.1 on average for me w/o accounting for health).

Fair. I guess I'd just say that if there really isn't much discernible drop off from losing Curry (which admittedly remains to be seen) I don't know why we'd assume there would be with Klay. He's certainly a very valuable player, but probably 2-3 tiers below Curry.

This data implies to me a Nash/Paul level of playmaking genius where the scorers are largely replaceable. Obviously this could all be freaking out over a tiny sample, but it is what it is.

this guy is like a modern day cross between magic johnson impact on offense and dennis rodman type defense minus rodman absurd rebounding....this is a goat level player right there
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,810

Post#142 » by GSP » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:23 pm

These Warriors are really giving me 94 Bulls vibes. Still a great team led by Draymond VS Pippen (i think 94 Pip and current Draymond are very comparable FWIW). Bulls were a 55-win team in 94, dont think its a stretch to say Warriors would get to that range without Steph. Bulls also played a Cavs team without its 2 best players (Price/Daughtery, ironically a small/big with a nasty pickandroll game and ironically Brad missed alot of that regular season like Blake did but Price/Cp3 were still able to carry that team to very respectable levels, offensively they had no business being as good as they were) and now Warriors could doing the same against the Clippers.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#143 » by SideshowBob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:28 pm

GSW Regular Season (82 G)

GSW ON Court Performance with Curry OUT, Green ON/OFF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curry OUT | Draymond IN (345 MP, 711 Poss)

Spoiler:
110.4 ORTG, 102.1 DRTG, +8.3 Net

Four Factors

Code: Select all

eFG%       RB%         TOV%       FT/FGA

Off      53.1%     21.6%        13.5%         .216
Def      41.1%     78.2%        13.5%         .258

Non-Green Players

56.9% TS, 9.2% TO

--------------------------------------------------

Curry OUT | Draymond OUT (929 MP, 1807 Poss)

Spoiler:
102.1 ORTG, 112.8 DRTG, -10.7 Net

Four Factors

Code: Select all

eFG%       RB%         TOV%       FT/FGA

Off      49.4%     24.1%        14.7%         .164
Def      47.5%     72.7%        11.6%         .216

Non-Green Players

52.3% TS, 13.1% TO*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Discrepancy in team vs. player TO% comes from the team number also including team turnovers (shot-clock violation, out-of-bounds on a FTA, etc.)
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#144 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:45 pm

As much as I dislike the guy you can't deny he is a top 10 player with colossal impact. The Warriors are a dam good team even without Curry and people need to acknowledge that. Way too many nonsense posts acting like they would be a 40-45 win team without Curry.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#145 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:For all the talk of the Rockets being a spent force, which I get, consider:

The Warriors just had a point differential of +94 for the series. That's the second highest of the Best-of-7 1st round era.

I think we have to ask:
Do we really see the Rockets as considerably weaker than normal 8th seeds?

If we don't, then this is basically telling us that the Curry-less Warriors objectively are playing better right now than typical #1 seeds do with their superstars in the first round.

Obviously if the Warriors fall apart against the Blazers that throws this thinking out the window...but I have to say that there's really no way anyone can claim they expected the Warriors to play that well without Curry...because it frankly wasn't reasonable to expect them to win by any more than that WITH Curry.

It's wrong to give all this credit to Green. This is first and foremost about a group of players with confidence knowing what they are supposed to do in each situation and then being able to execute, which goes back to Kerr/Walton/etc. Nevertheless, obviously both the offense and the defense now play with Green as the fulcrum around which everything else is balanced. Any player who can thrive in that role on a team this effective is someone who seems like he shouldn't be considered a tier down from any other player in the game.

You and I have been having the same conversation in different places. The Warriors were more dominant with Green on the floor than the Spurs were against the Memphis Gas station clerks. This is astounding.

I'm open to anything at this point. I'm open to Dray being the GOAT peak if this continues :o

I am as well, but between you, me, and the lamppost that is the entire internet, you're going to find me very cautious about trumpeting that last point for at least a while.

Part of it, if I'm honest, is that I do protect my credibility. While I do make "talk me down" threads at times where I"m essentially daring people to tear an idea apart, I only do that to solicit maximum intellectual firepower directed at a problem, which I can only do when I feel like I can sufficiently describe the dilemma.

I'm really not there yet with Green and the Warriors. They don't make sense based on existing paradigms of NBA basketball and I'm going to be trying my hardest not to try to imply that I or others think we do know exactly how all this is working, because we really don't.

This is a challenge also because I like many others were relatively quick to embrace Curry as potentially the GOAT peak. Yes I've always included caveats to the statement, but I've been quite straight forward in my belief that a hypothetical Curry-like player absolutely could be the GOAT. If I then end up deciding that he isn't because his teammate is the GOAT...just Wow.

As I say all this, none of this should imply this stuff is bothering me: It's so damn exciting, I love it. We're all learning about things we didn't think were possible, and it's being done essentially like the neurotic genius of 1970's Dutch soccer without any of the neuroticism. Great time to be a fan.

Last - and saying up front that I've heard others say this stuff on here, but I can't remember if it was you or drza or realbig or someone else: All this stuff with Green is making me think more and more about Bill Walton. To me that is the historical guy to look at, and for those not aware:

It's basically a consensus that Walton at his peak was the best defensive player in the game, but when you look at the data it seems to imply his offensive impact was bigger than his defensive impact...much like Green. Additionally, the issue with offense vs defense impact is that they bleed into each other, and the benefit of a brilliant point center is that he tends to get the ball in his hands immediately, and can run the break passing the ball to his smaller, faster, better shooting teammates.

If you had told me a few years ago that someone would come along who was very much like Walton, and he would be the most valuable player in the league and lead a GOAT level team, I'd have said, "Makes sense." The odds of getting another Walton were always low, but if it can happen once it can happen again, and to me it's not weird at all to argue that a Walton-like player could be GOAT level.

So the main thing that's tough to swallow then, other than that such a player would miraculously end up on the same team as Steph Curry the superhuman shooter/dribbler/balancer, is that Green doesn't look like Walton and until 2 years ago was a backup who'd spent 4 years in college and been drafted in the 2nd round.

But defensively, Green actually DOES seem to be of the build that works best right now, and offensively it doesn't actually seem that crazy to look at Green as being similarly talented as a playmaker. Walton of course had the other thing going that in college before the injuries he had far more volume scoring talent, but when he was leading the Blazers to the championship that wasn't how he played so it doesn't actually seem that relevant.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#146 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:03 pm

This Green for MVP talk is reminiscent of the Tony Parker > Chris Paul talk back in the day, for me. Whenever a great system is constructed, there seems to be a need to break it apart into small parts and assign undue credit to the part that seems to have a higher set of responsibilities within the system. Truth is, we haven't figured out precisely what it is that causes some teams to produce great results without conventional superstars... up till now it was just SA, might be seeing a repeat with Draymond Green.

Unfortunately the sample sizes are too small. The Livingston led Green lineups would predictably only post a 6-5 record in about 63 minutes of play, according to 82games.com

Anyway, not a criticism for Green in any sense. I will be curious to see if Lillard or Green is the more impactful player next series, as McCollum and Klay should be somewhat even in terms of what it is they bring to the floor. There's still Iggy to bring into the equation, but we'll see.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#147 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:09 pm

I still want to see Draymond face a defense who can throw some real guys at him, houston had guys that were too slow or rail thin and still not that fast and Ariza played a lot of defense on Thompson IIRC. For all the talk about "the league will probably figure steph out, so let's get it a little time to see if they do", I want to see how GS reacts offensively when green is being played by SF's instead of 4's. He's not the low post beat post 12 lebron is and if the opponent is daring GS to beat them Green scoring in the post they'll have an easier time defensively IMO.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#148 » by PaulieWal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:15 pm

I'd hold the horses on this premature coronation of Green.

I think the Warriors without Curry are a 50 ish wins teams in the RS and not a real contender. Right now they just played Houston which is an extremely crap team with one of the worst coaches in the league. It's too bad the Warriors are not playing the Clippers with CP because then we could see how a team with a capable coach would actually focus in on Green and take his strengths away.

Portland is pretty well-coached but they are not that good of a team anyway. Still I am interested in seeing what Stotts does to gameplan for GSW with no Curry.

IMO against good teams like Cavs, Spurs, OKC, Clippers and even mediocre East teams like Raps, Hawks, Boston, Hornets, Heat etc. GSW with no Curry won't play the way they did against Houston.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#149 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing their offense be that consistent against a playoff caliber defense. Too bad about LAC, they would have been the perfect test.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#150 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:45 pm

PaulieWal wrote:I'd hold the horses on this premature coronation of Green.

I think the Warriors without Curry are a 50 ish wins teams in the RS and not a real contender. Right now they just played Houston which is an extremely crap team and a garbage coach. It's too bad the Warriors are not playing the Clippers with CP because then we could see how a team with a capable coach would actually focus in on Green and take his strengths away.

Portland is pretty well-coached but they are not that good of a team anyway. Still I am interested in seeing what Stotts does to gameplan for GSW with no Curry.

IMO against good teams like Cavs, Spurs, OKC, Clippers and even mediocre East teams like Raps, Hawks, Boston etc. GSW with no Curry won't play the way they did against Houston.

Well they were leading the clippers and looked on the way to at least tie the series 2-2 so they're not chopped liver either

Also FTR they are 24-12 ( a pretty damn tough schedule near the end) with a SRS of 4.35 which is actually above the clippers who had a 4.13 on the year* and Also the raptors and every other east team besides the Cavs. They are the hot team coming into the playoffs and though an in sync dialed up clippers would probably be a 6/7 SRS it was clear that wasn't the clipper team we would have gotten and in this case, the difference isnt that extreme.

I expect Portland to give GS a tough fight with GS winning it in 6 if curry doesnt come back for this series.

* with griffin chilling for most of it admittedly but he didnt look like that big of a difference maker out there due to not being fully back and also doc trying to kickstart him in a way that made their offense easier to stop.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#151 » by ElGee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:53 am

Expectations are always an issue in these kinds of discussions. I expect Golden State to win comfortably in the next round because I think they are a legit +4-6 team without Steph Curry. (NB: If I thought they were a +1 team, it wouldn't mean Curry is a +10, it would just mean they are greater than the sum of their parts.) A +5 SRS team with HCA against a +1 team is a considerable favorite.

The thing is, this doesn't mean this is just about Green. I thought the Warriors were stacked 2 years ago, when they were a +6 team. I think they've improved in coaching, roster, health, etc. in addition to having clear growth in key players like Curry as well as Green. The Warriors beating Portland is about the Warriors to me, not Green per se. (This is basically star-counting, which is something I discuss in my upcoming book.) It's as if Golden State exceeds expectations, and the credit is just defaulted to Green.

I think a lot of people around these parts are right on Green in spirit. I think it's being taken too far though. Green's defense is excellent in the 3-pt driven game. Offensively, he has some stretch-big in him, and he's a great passer. I don't think he creates exceptionally well though, and I don't think he creates his own offense exceptionally well. He's adding value (good value) in a supplementary role -- which is great and scales perfectly -- but it's not an extreme amount of value. I'm not sold on his awesome plus-minus family stats given GS's makeup.

Let's put it this way -- if Boris Diaw replaced him in the Golden State offense, I don't think they go from a 115 to 112. (Not sure they'd lose too much at all, actually.)
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#152 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:55 am

I'm pretty much w/ ElGee here. We've gone back and forth, and people still don't admit but that GSW team is flat stacked across the board, and they're still a 55 win team without Curry which is simply amazing.

Edit: As Paulie said, I don't see a top 5 peak though (honestly I don't see a top 5 player this season, let alone peak). This is still a case where PM is overrating him a bit to me.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#153 » by PaulieWal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 am

bondom34 wrote:I'm pretty much w/ ElGee here. We've gone back and forth, and people still don't admit but that GSW team is flat stacked across the board, and they're still a 55 win team without Curry which is simply amazing.

That I agree with but I am not on-board yet with the top 5 or some all-time peak "greatness" of Green yet.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:03 am

PaulieWal wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I'm pretty much w/ ElGee here. We've gone back and forth, and people still don't admit but that GSW team is flat stacked across the board, and they're still a 55 win team without Curry which is simply amazing.

That I agree with but I am not on-board yet with the top 5 or some all-time peak "greatness" of Green yet.

Oops, missed that line, yea I'm not there either at all. Gonna edit that!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#155 » by lorak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 am

More like +60 wins, but it doesn't change the fact how great Green is.

And BTW, almost every all time great team was "stacked across the board"...
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 am

lorak wrote:

More like +60 wins, but it doesn't change the fact how great Green is.

And BTW, almost every all time great team was "stacked across the board"...

Possible, but I still don't see a top 5 player. I agree they're stacked, others are claiming they're not.
lorak
Head Coach

Post#157 » by lorak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:58 am

Who is claiming they are not?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:28 am

A lot of GS fans have in the past, as well as others.
lorak
Head Coach

Post#159 » by lorak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am

Any specifics? Because such generals statement as above doesn't have any value in context of this thread.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 pm

You could probably read the Curry thread and find plenty, or the general board. I can't believe you haven't seen this because I'd be willing to bet nearly everyone else here has at this point.

Return to Player Comparisons