Some questions about Artis Gilmore

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Some questions about Artis Gilmore 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 am

Hey, since my old thread about A-Train is not as popular anymore I create a new one :)
After many researches I decide to ask some questions. I need some informations.

Firstly, does anybody have Artis stats against other great centers like Kareem, Walton, Hakeem, Sikma, Parish, Lanier, Unseld, Moses? I'd like to see also their stats against A-Train.

I ask for stats because I find something very interesting: after watching as much tape of NBA Gilmore as I found, I came with conclusion that nobody could stop him one on one in the post when he wanted to score. Really nobody. He had sometimes troubles with passing out of doubles, but when he wanted to score, he was unstoppable. This create me question: why didn't he become more dominant offensive player? For example, he's clearly better post player than Howard (who is sometimes compared with him). He was also amazing finisher. Why didn't he become 25+ scorer?

Beside stats, I really want to see more of him against other all time greats. Do we have some Spurs vs Rockets games from mid 80s? Or maybe Spurs vs Sixers? How about Wizards, or Blazers, or Celtics against Bulls/Spurs? I would love to see something like that.

Last question. When Gilmore was at his biggest during his career? I know he was clearly heavier in NBA than during his first ABA seasons, but I'd like to see more precise numbers. It would be great to compare his physical changes to guys like Wilt or Shaq.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Some questions about Artis Gilmore 

Post#2 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 pm

70sFan wrote:Hey, since my old thread about A-Train is not as popular anymore I create a new one :)
After many researches I decide to ask some questions. I need some informations.

Firstly, does anybody have Artis stats against other great centers like Kareem, Walton, Hakeem, Sikma, Parish, Lanier, Unseld, Moses? I'd like to see also their stats against A-Train.

I ask for stats because I find something very interesting: after watching as much tape of NBA Gilmore as I found, I came with conclusion that nobody could stop him one on one in the post when he wanted to score. Really nobody. He had sometimes troubles with passing out of doubles, but when he wanted to score, he was unstoppable. This create me question: why didn't he become more dominant offensive player? For example, he's clearly better post player than Howard (who is sometimes compared with him). He was also amazing finisher. Why didn't he become 25+ scorer?

Beside stats, I really want to see more of him against other all time greats. Do we have some Spurs vs Rockets games from mid 80s? Or maybe Spurs vs Sixers? How about Wizards, or Blazers, or Celtics against Bulls/Spurs? I would love to see something like that.

Last question. When Gilmore was at his biggest during his career? I know he was clearly heavier in NBA than during his first ABA seasons, but I'd like to see more precise numbers. It would be great to compare his physical changes to guys like Wilt or Shaq.

Artis was a pretty mechanical player on offense. He had tremendous physical gifts but not a lot of variety of off. moves. KAJ and Walton were a little quicker and usually outplayed him. But Artis did play very well against KAj in the Spurs-Lakers '83 conf. finals.
Gilmore always puzzled me. He won a title at Kentucky in the ABA, and when he went to the Bulls, I thought he'd make them a contender. It never happened.
However, I think if you put the right players around him so he wasn't expected to be the main man on offense, Artis could be very valuable. His play against the Lakers and KAJ in the '83 conf finals proved that.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Some players don't need great variety of moves though. Shaq had better footwork, but he didn't have that big variety of moves. Moses didn't have even regular jumphook.

Do you have Kareem vs Artis or Walton vs Artis stats or videos? I mean beside last game of 83 WCF, which I watched about year ago and beside 1979 RS between Lakers and Bulls. Any other footage?
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#4 » by wojoaderge » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:41 am

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/oaVxEyEzs-w[/YouTube]
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
70sFan
RealGM

Post#5 » by 70sFan » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:46 pm

wojoaderge wrote:[YouTube]https://youtu.be/oaVxEyEzs-w[/YouTube]

Thanks, poor quality but still amazing to watch.
If you have more of Gilmore footage, post it here. It would be great to see :)
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#6 » by wojoaderge » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:03 pm

70sFan wrote:

I have Game 2 but that would be a chore
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
70sFan
RealGM

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:18 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:

I have Game 2 but that would be a chore

I'd love to see this. Could you send me it? It would be amazing to watch full game. Not only for Gilmore, but also for Blazers team which is really fun to watch. :)
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#8 » by wojoaderge » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:25 pm

70sFan wrote:

Also, the tape of Game 3 has bonus coverage of the Warriors/Pistons Game 3 complete with the Charles Dudley/Eric Money fight. No ejections, with Bob Lanier very loudly swearing at the referees . . .

Game 2 was the most memorable pro game of Artis Gilmore's career in his opinion. You see how much trouble Walton had guarding him. He almost fouled out, and Maurice Lucas had to take over covering Artis at the end. An untold story was Mickey Johnson lighting up Luke for 27ppg for the series. Another no ejection-fight took place between Wilbur Holland and Herm Gilliam. Anyway . . .
70sFan
RealGM

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:23 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Also, the tape of Game 3 has bonus coverage of the Warriors/Pistons Game 3 complete with the Charles Dudley/Eric Money fight. No ejections, with Bob Lanier very loudly swearing at the referees . . .

Game 2 was the most memorable pro game of Artis Gilmore's career in his opinion. You see how much trouble Walton had guarding him. He almost fouled out, and Maurice Lucas had to take over covering Artis at the end. An untold story was Mickey Johnson lighting up Luke for 27ppg for the series. Another no ejection-fight took place between Wilbur Holland and Herm Gilliam. Anyway . . .

Sounds amazing. Could you upload or post here these footage? It would be very nice to see it for people who are interested in NBA history (like me :) )
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#10 » by wojoaderge » Tue Feb 2, 2016 1:48 am

70sFan wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Sounds amazing. Could you upload or post here these footage? It would be very nice to see it for people who are interested in NBA history (like me :) )

How do you post a Youtube video? The button doesn't work
70sFan
RealGM

Post#11 » by 70sFan » Tue Feb 2, 2016 3:15 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:Also, the tape of Game 3 has bonus coverage of the Warriors/Pistons Game 3 complete with the Charles Dudley/Eric Money fight. No ejections, with Bob Lanier very loudly swearing at the referees . . .

[YouTube][/YouTube]
You need to write a link of the video between these two [ ].
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#12 » by wojoaderge » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:17 pm

70sFan wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:

[YouTube][/YouTube]

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/Bt0QhHvJUAo[/YouTube]
See? It doesn't work. Anyway, enjoy . . .
70sFan
RealGM

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:44 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:How do you post a Youtube video? The button doesn't work

[YouTube][/YouTube]

Thanks soo much!! I really appreciate your work. I'm gonna watch it now.
BTW, you need to use full link to make this work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0QhHvJUAo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0QhHvJUAo[/youtube]

See? Now it works ;)

Edit: I watched full video, really nice :) Artis really wanted to show the whole world that he was still one of the best (outplaying peak Walton is not easy thing)
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#14 » by wojoaderge » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:26 pm

70sFan wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:
70sFan wrote:[YouTube][/YouTube]

Thanks soo much!! I really appreciate your work. I'm gonna watch it now.
BTW, you need to use full link to make this work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0QhHvJUAo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0QhHvJUAo[/youtube]

See? Now it works ;)

Edit: I watched full video, really nice :) Artis really wanted to show the whole world that he was still one of the best (outplaying peak Walton is not easy thing)

Thanks! I wouldn't say he outplayed him, but they went toe-to-toe for sure. Also, what a center rotation the Bulls had. Lastly, the 70's is my favorite NBA decade, and one of the reasons is that most perimeter players, from starters to benchwarmers, could take and make the contested jumper
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#15 » by penbeast0 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 11:32 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
Artis was a pretty mechanical player on offense. He had tremendous physical gifts but not a lot of variety of off. moves. KAJ and Walton were a little quicker and usually outplayed him. But Artis did play very well against KAj in the Spurs-Lakers '83 conf. finals.
Gilmore always puzzled me. He won a title at Kentucky in the ABA, and when he went to the Bulls, I thought he'd make them a contender. It never happened.
However, I think if you put the right players around him so he wasn't expected to be the main man on offense, Artis could be very valuable. His play against the Lakers and KAJ in the '83 conf finals proved that.

Actually, 1975 (his championship year) in Kentucky was when the Colonels decided that instead of him being the defensive anchor and Issel being the 1st option on offense, they would feature him as the main man. Hubie Brown thought that Artis's big problem was that he was had a shy, passive personality and needed the challenge. He stepped up and played with more fire than he had in the previous two seasons (and more than he ever showed in Chicago).

In Chicago, he was playing with a lot of guys that wanted their shot (Wilbur Holland, Mickey Johnson, Reggie Theus, etc.). I also think they played him closer to the basket (on both ends) which resulted in better efficiency and probably a bit better defensive rebounding but at a cost in attack mentality and shot blocking. Competition may have been a part of it too but didn't seem to be the main issue.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#16 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:45 pm

70sFan wrote:Beside stats, I really want to see more of him against other all time greats. Do we have some Spurs vs Rockets games from mid 80s? Or maybe Spurs vs Sixers? How about Wizards, or Blazers, or Celtics against Bulls/Spurs? I would love to see something like that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PayS41ZSi_8[/youtube]

My gift to you lol… Sixers at Spurs from 83-84. If you take a look at the box score, gives you a little bit of everything from all the great players on those teams back then:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198311230SAS.html
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#17 » by penbeast0 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:38 pm

Moses shooting a lot from midrange and Gilmore not even challenging him, Gervin showing some postup moves.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:09 pm

When someone overpowered Moses and play him to even, you should know this guy is special.
Gilmore was very strong, he would be great defender on Shaq without a foubt..

Return to Player Comparisons