All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Meta Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,521

Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 12:39 am

Stickied, and Hibachi can go if he wants, but I'd like Quotatious to answer a few questions in the other thread before we force people to draft.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#42 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:41 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Stickied, and Hibachi can go if he wants, but I'd like Quotatious to answer a few questions in the other thread before we force people to draft.

Sure, ask me about whatever you want.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 12:43 am

Quotatious wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Stickied, and Hibachi can go if he wants, but I'd like Quotatious to answer a few questions in the other thread before we force people to draft.

I put it in the other thread.

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#44 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun May 1, 2016 12:44 am

Quotatious wrote:

Um, for one: with 90 minute Windows, people are going to have like 2-3:30 AM draft slots. That doesn't seem right and here's nothing in the OP about it
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Participant List Thread 

Post#45 » by Square » Sun May 1, 2016 12:44 am

Yeah, so what are the rules exactly? The FGA per game of all our players has to add up to at most 85? Are these weighted by minutes somehow?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,278

Post#46 » by Statlanta » Sun May 1, 2016 12:50 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Hey some questions to get clear:

-FGA distribution details?
-Minute limitations?
-Player duration specification? Single year peak? 5 year prime? Something else?
-What era rules? Present time?

I think its implied that we set our own minutes for our rosters and the players come from a single year(so most likely you would chose their peaks).
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:53 am

Doctor MJ wrote:-FGA distribution details?

The only rule is that it cannot exceed 85.0 FGA, as specified in the OP of this thread.

Doctor MJ wrote:-Minute limitations?

None. I was wondering if we should impose a 240-minute limitation (I mean 5 starters theoretically playing all 48 minutes), but I figured the FGA limitation might be enough of a challenge.

Doctor MJ wrote:layer duration specification? Single year peak? 5 year prime? Something else?

Single year peak. I don't want to make it overly complicated. I remember there were some problems when Hibachi ran a similar project (just without the FGA limit) two years ago - he decided to go with 3-year weighted peaks (average level of three consecutive seasons, as weighted by basketball-reference numbers), and it wasn't clear to everybody, right away, plus there were some problems with missed games. So, I'd rather just accept occurence of outlier seasons and go with 1-year peaks.

Doctor MJ wrote:-What era rules? Present time?

Today's rules, players available starting with the 1954-55 season, 2015-16 included (it'll be up to GMs to sell people on old school players if they decide to draft those guys).

Good questions, I admit I didn't clarify that enough in the beginning.

Square wrote:Yeah, so what are the rules exactly? The FGA per game of all our players has to add up to at most 85? Are these weighted by minutes somehow?

Like I said, FGAs have to add up to 85.0 at most. Minutes don't matter. I'll update the draft thread.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 12:59 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Quotatious wrote:

Um, for one: with 90 minute Windows, people are going to have like 2-3:30 AM draft slots. That doesn't seem right and here's nothing in the OP about it

Like I said in the OP, everybody can send me a PM with their shortlist of candidates (like three or five players they would be most likely to select, IN ORDER, so that I know which player I should assign to everybody in case one of them is gone). That should fix the early AM hours problem.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#49 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun May 1, 2016 12:59 am

Also: do we have to pick a year immediately upon selection? Or can we draft a player and then specify year later?
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 1:03 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:Also: do we have to pick a year immediately upon selection? Or can we draft a player and then specify year later?

You can wait with that, as nobody is allowed to draft a different version of the same player. It's certainly advisable to know which version you are going to take, though (because in some cases, players vary greatly from one season to another in terms of FGAs, even in their primes - I guess you already know who I am talking about :wink: ).
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#51 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun May 1, 2016 1:08 am

Quotatious wrote:Like I said in the OP, everybody can send me a PM with their shortlist of candidates (like three or five players they would be most likely to select, IN ORDER, so that I know which player I should assign to everybody in case one of them is gone). That should fix the early AM hours problem.

Sure. I still see potential issues though, like what if somebody PMs their list but you're not awake to make their selection for them, and somebody in a subsequent time slot IS awake and drafts the #1 guy on the list?

People live in different time zones and have different schedules- I'm all in favor of this loving as fast as possible but I'd support a short closed window (maybe 1-5 AM?) and an acknowledgement that we're all human :D
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#52 » by Square » Sun May 1, 2016 1:14 am

Ok, so just to make sure I get it (sorry for dropping names, but I figure people know these guys):

If I draft 2009 Lebron, who averaged 19.9 FGA/game, and 1989 MJ, who averaged 22.2 FGA/game, then the rest of my roster can have a total of at most 42.9 FGA/game between them?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#53 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 1:14 am

Quotatious wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Also: do we have to pick a year immediately upon selection? Or can we draft a player and then specify year later?

You can wait with that, as nobody is allowed to draft a different version of the same player. It's certainly advisable to know which version you are going to take, though (because in some cases, players vary greatly from one season to another in terms of FGAs, even in their primes - I guess you already know who I am talking about :wink: ).

When picking years here, how literal do we need to be?

If I'm talking about historical players playing today, I assume it's considered reasonable to say they'd train up on, say, 3-point shooting to max out their potential, ya?

MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#54 » by MisterHibachi » Sun May 1, 2016 1:15 am

Shaq 2000: 21.1 FGA.

"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#55 » by MisterHibachi » Sun May 1, 2016 1:16 am

I would say 12 hour limits seems best. It'll move faster than that for most picks, but it does give enough leeway that it seems hard for a person to miss his/her pick.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 1:26 am

Square wrote:Ok, so just to make sure I get it (sorry for dropping names, but I figure people know these guys):

If I draft 2009 Lebron, who averaged 19.9 FGA/game, and 1989 MJ, who averaged 22.2 FGA/game, then the rest of my roster can have a total of at most 42.9 FGA/game between them?

Yes, exactly.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#57 » by Timmaytime » Sun May 1, 2016 1:35 am

MisterHibachi wrote:I would say 12 hour limits seems best. It'll move faster than that for most picks, but it does give enough leeway that it seems hard for a person to miss his/her pick.

agreed
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#58 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 1:35 am

MisterHibachi wrote:I would say 12 hour limits seems best. It'll move faster than that for most picks, but it does give enough leeway that it seems hard for a person to miss his/her pick.

Here's what I would say:

For the first draft pick, I think we have to have leeway. The idea of skipping someone simply because they went out on Saturday Night and didn't realize it was already starting doesn't seem right. Also, if people are here, they'll be super-excited to make their first pick so it will probably go fast.

After that though, I think shorter appointment times make sense given that people can PM their preference list ahead of time.

Although, one thing we could do is let someone "fall" in their spot in the first round for the sake of speed, with the plan to snake the rounds so that this doesn't put that at a disadvantage worse than we already knew someone would be in.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#59 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 1, 2016 1:37 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

You're up.

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Quotatious » Sun May 1, 2016 1:41 am

Doctor MJ wrote:When picking years here, how literal do we need to be?

If I'm talking about historical players playing today, I assume it's considered reasonable to say they'd train up on, say, 3-point shooting to max out their potential, ya?

For things like 3-pt shooting for pre-1980 players (or pre 1980, non-ABA players, to be more accurate), it really depends on your ability to convince people (mostly judges, I mean :wink: ) about a guy's possible improvement/adjustment, with some kind of evidence (for the 60s players, I guess that evidence can be mostly just interviews or articles...).

I really don't want to be strict with that kind of stuff. It'll be very interesting to see how people view pre-merger stars in a comparison with modern players. I have no idea what to expect, quite frankly. Considering we have guys like SideshowBob or ronnymac as judges, I'm totally sure we'll see some great viewpoints on that, though. You can ALWAYS count on those guys to bring great basketball analysis, well, you know that much yourself.

Dr Spaceman wrote:Sure. I still see potential issues though, like what if somebody PMs their list but you're not awake to make their selection for them, and somebody in a subsequent time slot IS awake and drafts the #1 guy on the list?

People live in different time zones and have different schedules- I'm all in favor of this loving as fast as possible but I'd support a short closed window (maybe 1-5 AM?) and an acknowledgement that we're all human :D

I admit my 90-minute window was probably unrealistic, but on the other hand, Hibachi's 12-hour suggestion seems far too long (he's right that it generally tends to go much quicker than that, but with people not feeling that pressure of possibly missing their pick, sometimes it gets stuck for several hours, too).

So, how about 6 hours, a half of that? I think I'll go with that. We'll see how smoothly it goes with 6-hour windows. Hibachi didn't need a lot of time to make his first selection, hopefully it stays that way, but anyway - yeah, I'll change it to 6-hours (it's subject to change depending on how well it works, though).

As far as people not being awake at early AM hours...You know, we definitely have people living in many different time zones, so it's not as simple as that.

Return to Player Comparisons