Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Draft Thread 

Post#421 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu May 5, 2016 8:23 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:.

6 hours are up, let's keep it moving here please

Clyde is not up though. Austin Carr is up.
Dr Spaceman wrote:
AustinCarr61 wrote:L-TRAIN, FROM DEEP, DEEP, DEEP IN THE Q!

You're up
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft With FGA Limit - Participant List Thread 

Post#422 » by wojoaderge » Thu May 5, 2016 8:27 pm

If you could only have one prime time defender in your starting frontcourt, would you have him be a F or C?
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#423 » by wojoaderge » Thu May 5, 2016 8:28 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:.

6 hours are up, let's keep it moving here please

Clyde is not up though. Austin Carr is up.
Dr Spaceman wrote:
AustinCarr61 wrote:L-TRAIN, FROM DEEP, DEEP, DEEP IN THE Q!

You're up

Sorry, got my late 70's Cavs guards mixed up
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,751

Post#424 » by eminence » Thu May 5, 2016 8:40 pm

wojoaderge wrote:If you could only have one prime time defender in your starting frontcourt, would you have him be a F or C?

Only one? Probably at center.
I bought a boat.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#425 » by Quotatious » Thu May 5, 2016 8:48 pm

eminence wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:If you could only have one prime time defender in your starting frontcourt, would you have him be a F or C?

I would say it depends whether that guy is more of a SF/PF (like Rodman) or PF/C (like Duncan). As a rule, I would always take a tweener big over tweener forward, if we are talking about defense, though (assuming they are comparable in terms of ability). So, basically my answer is center.
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#426 » by wojoaderge » Thu May 5, 2016 8:52 pm

Quotatious wrote:
eminence wrote:

I would say it depends whether that guy is more of a SF/PF (like Rodman) or PF/C (like Duncan). As a rule, I would always take a tweener big over tweener forward, though (assuming they are comparable in terms of ability). So, basically my answer is center.

How about between an aircraft carrier and a tweener F?
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#427 » by wojoaderge » Thu May 5, 2016 9:12 pm

By "aircraft carrier" I mean a big center who can only play the 5
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#428 » by Statlanta » Thu May 5, 2016 10:41 pm

My pick is a GOAT shooter(moderate volume) going with '15 Kyle Korver with my pick
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Post#429 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 5, 2016 10:49 pm

OrlandoTill wrote:My pick is a GOAT shooter(moderate volume) going with '15 Kyle Korver with my pick

One of the guys I thought might be gone before this point. Very good value imo here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#430 » by Hawk Eye » Thu May 5, 2016 11:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
OrlandoTill wrote:My pick is a GOAT shooter(moderate volume) going with '15 Kyle Korver with my pick

One of the guys I thought might be gone before this point. Very good value imo here.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly thought he would go much higher than here. Excellent pick. Elite role player with low FGA but super high efficiency. His shooting stats last season were just ridiculously good.
Texas Chuck

Post#431 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 5, 2016 11:16 pm

wojoaderge wrote:By "aircraft carrier" I mean a big center who can only play the 5

So like Mark Eaton or Deke or Gilmore?

I mean David Robinson and Bill Russell only played center during their careers and I consider them to be the 2 best defensive players of all-time. And I think offensively both guys are definitely centers exclusively, but both guys could play PF on defense I'd think---heck we know Admiral guarded some key 4's after Duncan's arrival.

But yeah I'd take the best true centers defensively over guys like KG, Draymond, or Sheed. Maybe the game continues to evolve to the point where that pendulum switches, but looking back historically I think the best team defenses tend to be led by more traditional rim protectors rather than more horizontal bigs.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Statlanta
RealGM

Post#432 » by Statlanta » Thu May 5, 2016 11:18 pm

Hakeem relied on lethal 3pt shooting in his peak so why not get the best player at that particular job not to mention in an offense run be the all-time assist leader.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#433 » by MisterHibachi » Thu May 5, 2016 11:21 pm

Hmm, Rodman might muck up your spacing though.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#434 » by MisterHibachi » Thu May 5, 2016 11:23 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:With my fourth pick I'm picking 2009 Ray Allen (13.2 FGAs)

Offensively he was uber efficient from every spot on the floor, had 48/41/95 shooting splits, was an above average defender, and was a first option in a low volume role. With Nash-Allen-*****-McHale-Walton I don't think anyone else could top my offensive firepower.

I was really surprised when Allen wasn't taken somewhere in the first 3 rounds. I'd definitely call him a steal.

I think there's a few sharpshooters I would've taken over him, including 15 Korver. If I hadn't taken Kobe, I would really be zeroing in on these shooting guards right now.

AustinCarr61 wrote:You're up, I believe.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Statlanta
RealGM

Post#435 » by Statlanta » Thu May 5, 2016 11:23 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Hmm, Rodman might muck up your spacing though.

My next pick will be the answer to that provided in 20 picks no one will consider him.. :oops:
Texas Chuck

Post#436 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 5, 2016 11:26 pm

32% from 3 that year isn't great, but teams might honor it? But more importantly I guess you have to keep a body attached to him or he kills you on the offensive glass.
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#437 » by theonlyclutch » Thu May 5, 2016 11:28 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

32% from 3 that year isn't great, but teams might honor it?

That is a big, big outlier from what Rodman usually hits from the perimeter in both volume and accuracy
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Texas Chuck

Post#438 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 5, 2016 11:31 pm

theonlyclutch wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

32% from 3 that year isn't great, but teams might honor it?

That is a big, big outlier from what Rodman usually hits from the perimeter in both volume and accuracy

No doubt it is. But its not one of the shortened line years and he has Dream, Korver, and Stockton on the floor so he's getting all the wide open shots he wants. I think its not unreasonable in a game where you have to take a specific year to think he could at least match his real world percentage?

Of course if the rules state you aren't to judge them solely on this year, but on their career norms then ignore that line :D and stick to the part about the offensive rebounding which is really my main comment anyway. He's obviously not on the team as a spacer.
AustinCarr61
Junior
And1: 224

Post#439 » by AustinCarr61 » Thu May 5, 2016 11:40 pm

With the 55th Pick in the All Time Fantasy Draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select:

Shane Battier, 2005-2006, 8.0 FGA/G
10.1 PTS @ 58.9 TS% (42% on 4.5 3PA/G), 4.1 TRB, 2.1 AST, 1.0 STL, 0.7 BLK, 119 Ortg, 102 Drtg, 12.0 PER, .144 WS/48, +3.3 BPM
10.3 PTS @ 66.0 TS% (44% on 6.1 3PA/G), 3.8 TRB, 2.1 AST, 1.7 STL, 1.0 BLK, 121 Ortg, 104 Drtg, 12.8 PER, .135 WS/48, +3.9 BPM

With two stars who don't really shoot threes, I knew I needed my role players to be strong in that area, as well as continuing the team themes of passing, defense and playoff performance. Battier brings all those qualities to the table as maybe the prototypical role player. In 2007 his DRAPM was +4.79, and while he didn't make an all-defensive team he made the 2nd team in each of the next two years - he was the perimeter stopper on those Rockets teams and guarded the best opposing perimeter player frequently. While he wasn't a shot creator, his high BBIQ allowed him to find the open man as a passer, and obviously his 3 point shooting was exceptional in this year both in terms of volume and percentage. Not the greatest rebounder, and obviously his box score metrics don't look that great (but he was never a box-score type player), but he was a great teammate (won the Twyman-Stokes in 2014) and exceptional glue guy, who will do exactly what is asked of him any given night. Between him, Wade and Duncan, my team won't lack for leadership for sure.
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#440 » by Square » Thu May 5, 2016 11:40 pm

Come on, Rodman shot 32/101 from three that one season. If he misses three more he's a 29% shooter. The previous year he went 6/30 and the following year he went 15/73, in similar situations. He was not a good or even average three point shooter.

Return to Player Comparisons