Lebron
74%

Total votes: 47

YehdoM
Freshman
And1: 15

Re: Kobe V Lebron 1-1 

Post#21 » by YehdoM » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 pm

There are very few guys I'd bet on 1 on 1 with Kobe. Not quite sure Lebron is one of them. Theoretically, he should have the edge since he has the size/power/strenght advantage, which is huge in ISO situations, but Kobe was a 1v1 animal. I don't see him lose to many guys in NBA history. Voted Kobe, but wouldn't be surprised to see Lebron taking the W.
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#22 » by jaypo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 pm

It all goes down to percentages again. I believe that Kobe would not be able to stop Lebron from getting to the rim more than Lebron would stop Kobe from getting there. And closer to the rim equals higher % shots.

I believe Lebron could force Kobe to have to shoot from outside. I don't think Kobe could do the same to Lebron. Lebron outweighs him by about 55 lbs, and he is as quick.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,287

Post#23 » by Jedi32 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 am

i'd take kobe. his arsenal was unmatched in his generation imo. I've seen this guy hit shots no human being should be hitting, and from all over the court.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#24 » by franktony » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:28 am

I'd take Kobe

To me he has a bigger offensive arsenal and a more reliable jump-shot.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#25 » by Statlanta » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:51 am

I trust Kobe's skills port better in a 1v1 than LeBron. I think LeBron is better doing the things he does in a team concept and his high level playmaking and high level team defense mask his great but not stellar 1v1 scoring ability. As inefficient as Kobe can be I see him taking more games if playing in a series but I can see LeBron winning against Kobe.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#26 » by SlowPaced » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 am

Versions come into play here imo. I don't see any version of Kobe beating 09 LeBron 1v1. LeBron would just blow by him each time on offense and would be very bothersome on defense, forcing Kobe to take difficult shots quite often.

However, I think 01 Kobe would have the upper hand on most versions of LeBron. I think his defense could really bother LeBron, probably cause him to lose his handle at times. Later versions of Kobe would likely have a lot of trouble scoring from the post efficiently against LeBron because of the strength disrepancy and that'd be trouble for him.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#27 » by LakerLegend » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:55 am

2003 Kobe would handily beat beat any version of LeBron 1 on 1.

I'd put more money on McGrady being able to beat him than LeBron.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#28 » by ak7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:I think it's a no brainer with LeBron winning. Like most 1 on 1 games, if there is a big physical gap and the guy can defend the 3 (or the 2 in most actual games) that won't be much of a problem. Strongest guy wins.

I don't know what kind of 1 on 1 games you play, but footwork (when talent is equal) typically is the difference between NBA-level basketball players because it's about the only way somebody is getting the separation to get a clean look. Just watch any of the match-ups from the '08 Olympics practices - where Kobe won them all except versus Anthony who has quite good footwork himself.

Is LeBron going to bench press Kobe into the post? Like I don't understand your blanket statement of "strongest guy wins." Ben Wallace is going to beat Carmelo Anthony in a 1 on 1 because he's stronger? You're also talking about one of the better post playing guards in the history of the NBA in Kobe - don't you think he knows how to defend there as well?

A game like this would come down to a missed shot likely being the difference.
YehdoM
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#29 » by YehdoM » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:2003 Kobe would handily beat beat any version of LeBron 1 on 1.

I'd put more money on McGrady being able to beat him than LeBron.

Same. MJ and Mac are the probably the best matchups I can think of against the Mamba. Pierce would be interesting as well. Can see him being one of the best 1 on 1 players in history in his prime.
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#30 » by jaypo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:43 pm

ak7 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:I think it's a no brainer with LeBron winning. Like most 1 on 1 games, if there is a big physical gap and the guy can defend the 3 (or the 2 in most actual games) that won't be much of a problem. Strongest guy wins.

I don't know what kind of 1 on 1 games you play, but footwork (when talent is equal) typically is the difference between NBA-level basketball players because it's about the only way somebody is getting the separation to get a clean look. Just watch any of the match-ups from the '08 Olympics practices - where Kobe won them all except versus Anthony who has quite good footwork himself.

Is LeBron going to bench press Kobe into the post? Like I don't understand your blanket statement of "strongest guy wins." Ben Wallace is going to beat Carmelo Anthony in a 1 on 1 because he's stronger? You're also talking about one of the better post playing guards in the history of the NBA in Kobe - don't you think he knows how to defend there as well?

A game like this would come down to a missed shot likely being the difference.

No, but Lebron's physical attributes allow him to match Kobe's, AND he's stronger. So where Lebron could handle Kobe defensively, Kobe couldn't handle Lebron in the same manner. Lebron can keep himself between Kobe and the basket, forcing Kobe to HAVE to take jump shots, and as we know, Kobe has missed more shots than anyone in NBA history. Conversely, Kobe could not keep Lebron from getting to the rim. Lebron would be taking higher % shots.

It's the same thing as the Drob vs. Shaq argument. Sure, Drob had better footwork, range, aesthetics, but 1 on 1, Shaq destroyed him. He outweighed him by about the same amount Lebron outweighs Kobe, but his power and strength negated DRob's footwork, range, and aesthetics! It comes down to percentages. Which player would be forced to take tougher shots. And that would favor Lebron because he's quick and skilled enough to keep Kobe from getting to the rim. But Kobe is not strong enough to keep Lebron from getting there.
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#31 » by The Realist » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:04 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Versions come into play here imo. I don't see any version of Kobe beating 09 LeBron 1v1. LeBron would just blow by him each time on offense and would be very bothersome on defense, forcing Kobe to take difficult shots quite often.

I always have a problem with these hypothetical 1-on-1 situation in terms of understanding the rules for physical contact, since what is stopping 09 Lebron from just coming at you with speed and lowering the shoulder (?), there's literally no one in history that stops him in that situation; he obviously goes through Kobe/Jordan or those guys have to overplay him and he goes around them, same with Shaq and other big men of course no matter what they do.

Isn't the only way to defend then by taking charges/flopping? I don't see how is it possible to handle the most athletic perimeter player of all time without help defense.

The same goes the other way of course, meaning Shaq would be completely unstoppable to Lebron/MJ/Kobe, making these hypotheticals pointless IMO.
meh
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#32 » by The Realist » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:09 pm

So I mean, can't Lebron just take of from half court (assuming Kobe isn't in his shirt out there, because that would be suicide as well) and use the distance between them to create a momentum Kobe has absolutely no chance of stopping, no matter where he is located, thus being able to score every single time except maybe 1/20 he mishandles it and turns it over, making this pretty much pointless. Or, is Kobe allowed to try to tackle Lebron to stop his momentum without it being a foul? What are the parameters here?
meh

Return to Player Comparisons