LeBron James, not close
17%

Total votes: 53

loganpm
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Kawhi Durant vs. LeBron 

Post#81 » by loganpm » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 am

It seems like a very obvious answer at first, but LeBron alone has on court attributes that are completely absent from Leonard and Durants game. LeBron is a natural yet unnatural passer, skilled to such a degree that it seems reckless and unpractical at times. Durant can definitely set up a cross pass to a teammate for an easy score, but mostly just because he's double teamed and most NBA players can finish a layup in an open lane (and yet Andre Roberson has started alongside Durant for a few years now, and if everyone would brick a point-blank layup, it's him).

Teams have to think twice when setting up their defense against LeBron. He may actually be even more of a skilled passer than he's a scorer. Defenses aren't always willing to double LeBron, considering he can flick a hundred-mile dime across the court like a pitcher on the mound. Luckily, some teams defenses can breathe because of the vulnerable soft sports in LeBron's team, like Shumpert, the man who bricks enough 3 pt shots to open up a new school building in his name. The Brick Academy.

Watching LeBron in the playoffs, it almost feels like he's capable of casting a wide, hovering web over the entire half-court. Even if he doesn't score or get an assist, you can bet that his off-ball movement or quarterback play calling was a major key in the offense; LeBron really does point and grunt at his teammates a lot, looking like Larry Brown if he were coaching a 7th grade practice. But at the same time, here's where some legitimate counter-arguments for the mutant Kawhi Durant come in. LeBron doesn't space the floor or demand constant eyes and attention when standing around the perimeter, which he does too often and for too long at times. Durant and Kawhi, on the other hand, are both knockdown 3 pt shooters. They both pull from mid-range off-the-dribble with ease, the defense always having to react and think about all of the options these superstars, Kawhi and Durant, have. LeBron, on the other hand, is a linebacker and the hoop is a man who once flirted with his mother. He attacks with a dominant ferocity, demanding double teams diving towards the paints, creating pockets of space for LeBron to launch his wicked passing missiles to a usually inadequate teammate that doesn't complete the play.

I feel like Durant lacks the same alpha dog presence; I cringe at some of Durants tame dunks, as if he doesn't want to break a nail, softly, courteously throwing it in above the rim. Durant's no doubt a number one option on a championship team, but he's not a gifted leader on the court. He at times shows off his play-making skills when driving inside to a crowd, but then it doesn't seem much like a choice. He's surrounded, has to surrender. His incredible ability to efficiently score in one-on-one, purely iso plays may have limited OKC's team success. Durant may not have wanted to play that way, though, maybe Billy Donovan or Scott Brooks just loved drawing up a ball-dominant play featuring Durant's wide crossover, great first step, and his patented silky soft pull-up jumper.

Within seconds of looking at the topic, I voted for Kawhi Durant, adding their skills up to quickly in my head. They'd be incredible, defensively and offensively, but nobody controls the mind, the nucleus of a team like LeBron James. He shifts the puzzle pieces to his own liking, playing the game of basketball with the mind of a chess player, contemplating his next move. LeBron also rebounds at a better rate than Kawhi and Durant and is more skilled at signature chase down blocks.

If we were talking LeBron James year 2 on the Heat, I probably would have instantly picked him over the X-men Kawhi Durant. In his Heat years he could shoot from deep, mid range, run the fast-break and fly above the rim like a astronaut in space. All of this is just conjecture on one players advanced skill sets. Basketball is a team sport, no matter how many superstar smoothies you blend together, even one as a good-sounding as a Kawhi Durant, it's a five-on-five competition.
"Form a ********** wall!!!!" - Professor Van Gundy.

Return to Player Comparisons