What's your definition of a franchise player?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,870

Re: What's your definition of a franchise player? 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:09 am

LakersLegacy wrote:A player that is MVP caliber, future HOFer, that can win a championship and will retire with the franchise and have his jersey retired.

Kobe, Duncan, KG, Pierce, Dirk, James, Wade, Curry, Durant...

The recently retired class are great examples of franchise players.

Who is going to retire Durant's jersey?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#22 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 am

Franchise player can be interpreted as either slightly wider or slightly narrower than "superstar", but I have a tendency to conflate the two. For instance, John Wall is clearly Washington's "franchise player", but he's not quite a superstar, and so I leave him off. The player should be his team's alpha and omega, the guy in every poster, the guy that when the next game is announced its announced as "Player X and the Team X". And with the modern "hey, let's all team up and beat up little Jimmy!" trend, it gets more murky because so many of the potential franchise players are crowded together.

In any case, there are about 11 of them right now by my count:

Lebron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Cp3
Cousins
Davis
George
Blake
Harden
Kawhi

and while it annoys people, I still consider Kawhi the shakiest name on the list, because he has the ability, but has not been a runaway #1 over there, and it was hard not to call Duncan the franchise guy even long after he was not that player. Kawhi will be though, so belongs. Next obvious guy up with a chance is KAT. Melo was one, but I think has diminished out of it now. Kyrie, Wall, Klay, Draymond, Drummond, Gasol, Milsap etc. are not that level of guy. They are best players, or part of larger machines, not the franchise.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#23 » by StepBackCrack » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:21 am

Colbinii wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:A player that is MVP caliber, future HOFer, that can win a championship and will retire with the franchise and have his jersey retired.

Golden State? If he retires as a Warrior of course.
It's possible.
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#24 » by magicmerl » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:37 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Franchise player can be interpreted as either slightly wider or slightly narrower than "superstar", but I have a tendency to conflate the two. For instance, John Wall is clearly Washington's "franchise player", but he's not quite a superstar, and so I leave him off. The player should be his team's alpha and omega, the guy in every poster, the guy that when the next game is announced its announced as "Player X and the Team X". And with the modern "hey, let's all team up and beat up little Jimmy!" trend, it gets more murky because so many of the potential franchise players are crowded together.

In any case, there are about 11 of them right now by my count:

Lebron
Curry
Durant
Westbrook
Cp3
Cousins
Davis
George
Blake
Harden
Kawhi

and while it annoys people, I still consider Kawhi the shakiest name on the list, because he has the ability, but has not been a runaway #1 over there, and it was hard not to call Duncan the franchise guy even long after he was not that player. Kawhi will be though, so belongs. Next obvious guy up with a chance is KAT. Melo was one, but I think has diminished out of it now. Kyrie, Wall, Klay, Draymond, Drummond, Gasol, Milsap etc. are not that level of guy. They are best players, or part of larger machines, not the franchise.

I like your list, but I still think that's too generous for 'franchise player' label in terms of leading championship contenders. I think the shortlist is LeBron, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Cp3 and Harden. There's a second tier of guys who could well get it together and join that group if their health/skills/situation improves, like Kawhi, KAT, Davis and Cousins.

I don't think that Paul George and Blake Griffin from your list are true championship anchors. I think they are more at the John Wall / LMA / Melo level.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,287

Post#25 » by Jedi32 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:38 am

Colbinii wrote:

I believe the Warriors and OKC will.
AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

Post#26 » by AMW27 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Here's what I say

Franchise player is a guy that that's capable of leading a team to a title as the undisputed best player on the team. They can turn a team into a playoff team instantly. LeBron , Curry, Durant ect

Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Pau Gasol, guys like these at their very best can be your best player on your team but most likely can't lead your team to a title as the lead guy. Best suited as the number 2 guy on a contender.
Pendragon
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#27 » by Pendragon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:

OKC and probably the Warriors.

Return to Player Comparisons