Build the GOAT Offensive Starting 5

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Re: Build the GOAT Offensive Starting 5 

Post#41 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:02 am

pelifan wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I honestly disagree with those going with Nash/Magic led lineups and especially those going small ball. For one, I think in a team full of supremely talented scorers you want to minimize the time of possession of any individual player. You want guys who have quick attacks to their game, I.e. They're not required to drive to the rim to punish the defense, and move the ball quickly. The actual ideal GOAT offense wouldn't be focused around pick and rolls or any one player in isolation; ideally they'd all be threats on such a team but be able to do most of their damage without the ball. Nash and Magic are so great because they can "think" for all 5 guys on the floor, and letting them dominate the ball will pretty much always result in a great shot. But if they're dominating it here, how much better would these offenses be than their real life offenses? Also feel like offensive rebounding is important.

So that said:

Stephen Curry
Jerry West
Kevin Durant
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal

Every single player in that lineup is death to the defense pretty much immediately on the catch. Absolutely murderous off ball shooters all around the perimeter, and importantly all those guys are supreme attackers off the dribble or in a quick pick and roll as well. Elite foul-drawing at every single position. The ball isn't going to stick anywhere fro very long.

And just imagine: West throws an inbound pass to Shaq who has deep single coverage. The defense chooses between letting him dunk or kicking it out to Curry or Durant in the corners. :o

I disagree. you are talking about two of the highest IQ basketball players of all time. Both Magic and Nash have shown in their career that they don't need to suck the air out of the ball at all times. They just happen to be really really good at doing so. Personally I find Jerry West and Durant to be weak links in your offensive lineup, specifically Durant, because for all his talent he's just not as high IQ an offensive basketball player. And frankly that's what I'm looking for, the guy who will make the right decision and make it quickly like you say. Frankly I trust Magic and Nash to do that better than West or Durant. Just because a player happens to be used a certain way doesn't mean he has to be used that way. If that were true Shaq would just demand the ball every possession and turn all your other players in to shooters.

I dunno man, Durant is currently dropping 27 a game on 68% TS for the best offense of all-time. Seems pretty high-IQ to me.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#42 » by pelifan » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:11 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I honestly disagree with those going with Nash/Magic led lineups and especially those going small ball. For one, I think in a team full of supremely talented scorers you want to minimize the time of possession of any individual player. You want guys who have quick attacks to their game, I.e. They're not required to drive to the rim to punish the defense, and move the ball quickly. The actual ideal GOAT offense wouldn't be focused around pick and rolls or any one player in isolation; ideally they'd all be threats on such a team but be able to do most of their damage without the ball. Nash and Magic are so great because they can "think" for all 5 guys on the floor, and letting them dominate the ball will pretty much always result in a great shot. But if they're dominating it here, how much better would these offenses be than their real life offenses? Also feel like offensive rebounding is important.

So that said:

Stephen Curry
Jerry West
Kevin Durant
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal

Every single player in that lineup is death to the defense pretty much immediately on the catch. Absolutely murderous off ball shooters all around the perimeter, and importantly all those guys are supreme attackers off the dribble or in a quick pick and roll as well. Elite foul-drawing at every single position. The ball isn't going to stick anywhere fro very long.

And just imagine: West throws an inbound pass to Shaq who has deep single coverage. The defense chooses between letting him dunk or kicking it out to Curry or Durant in the corners. :o

I disagree. you are talking about two of the highest IQ basketball players of all time. Both Magic and Nash have shown in their career that they don't need to suck the air out of the ball at all times. They just happen to be really really good at doing so. Personally I find Jerry West and Durant to be weak links in your offensive lineup, specifically Durant, because for all his talent he's just not as high IQ an offensive basketball player. And frankly that's what I'm looking for, the guy who will make the right decision and make it quickly like you say. Frankly I trust Magic and Nash to do that better than West or Durant. Just because a player happens to be used a certain way doesn't mean he has to be used that way. If that were true Shaq would just demand the ball every possession and turn all your other players in to shooters.

I dunno man, Durant is currently dropping 27 a game on 68% TS for the best offense of all-time. Seems pretty high-IQ to me.

He's the most gifted player of all time, even above Lebron, Wilt or Shaq in my opinion, but he doesn't make his teammates better. A lot of that is on him.

His Oklahoma City offenses were never as good as they should have been with him leading the way.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#43 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:14 am

pelifan wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
pelifan wrote:

He's the most gifted player of all time, even above Lebron, Wilt or Shaq in my opinion, but he doesn't make his teammates better. A lot of that is on him.

His Oklahoma City offenses were never as good as they should have been with him leading the way.

His role in these GOAT type offenses isn't to make others better. It's to score the ball at incredible efficiency. And he does that arguably better than anyone, ever.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#44 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:00 am

Spoiler:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

So that said:

Stephen Curry
Jerry West
Kevin Durant
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal

Hack-a-Shaq ruins Shaq in these scenarios. Because if I'm defending that lineup, you better believe I'm hacking Shaq.

I'd go with:

Nash
Curry
Durant
Bird
Dirk

Good point. I honestly hadn't thought of that.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#45 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:04 am

F - Larry Bird
F - Chris Mullin
C - David Robinson
G - Steve Nash
G - Michael Jordan

The hardest choice for me was Center. Went with Robinson over Hakeem because I think DRob has the higher ceiling as a role player getting scoring opportunities from transition, offensive rebounding, PnRs and finishing in the paint
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#46 » by picc » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:38 am

What is the rationale for picking Dirk over Larry Bird in this scenario? There's literally no reason to.

I'd probably go with ronnymac or Dr. Positivitys squad, and I think those putting two point guards in the lineup (Nash and Curry) are making a mistake by not having any semblance of defensive identity on the team. Having a capable defense will lead to better offense, as you'll force turnovers and run off misses in addition to what you already have.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#47 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:56 am

Curry
Jordan
Durant
Bird
Wilt

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Orin
Rookie
And1: 2,112

Post#48 » by Orin » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:11 pm

I feel like defense, rebounding, ability to force turnovers and most importantly fast break points are severly overlooked here. If the opposing team scores easily, it also means that they can get back to their side of the court and have a set defense.

Whereas if you have a good defense, rebound well and force a lot of turnovers, you will have a tons of fastbreak opportunity. Good defense generate good offense, basically. The 2010-2011 Miami team is a good example of that. Horrible offensive chemistry and sets, but it was their defense that enabled this team to have the 3rd highest ORtg in RS (and raw talent of course).

Futhermore, scoring gives energy on defense. On the other hand, if you can't even score at all and you are facing a GOAT level offense on the other side of the court, then chances are you will be demoralized and won't even bother trying defending. This is actually what Team USA is doing on the international level.

I might be wrong though because most teams in this thread would be able to score at will in the half court so maybe they don't care about fastbreak points and all those stuff because the offense is simply too godly.

But I want to try having fun with a team like :
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Kawhi Leonard
Kevin Durant
Wil Chamberlain

So as you can see, spacing is way worse than basically every teams in this thread. However, it is filled with extremely athletic and great defender at every positions who will be able to force tons, tons of turnovers, and on the fastbreak this team is simply unstoppable.

I like the combination of Wade and James for their off ball play, fast break and penetrating ability, and they also play off each others really well. Leonard and Durant provides nasty and much needed shooting, and Wilt in his 67" mindset will act as a kind of uber Deandre Jordan.
TheGr81 wrote:I think he [Wilt] had similar athleticism, skill level and basketball IQ as Javale McGee
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,298

Post#49 » by r0drig0lac » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:36 pm

Lebron
Jordan
Durant
Bird
Shaq

Return to Player Comparisons