Curry can not catch Lebron career wise?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Re: Curry can not catch Lebron career wise? 

Post#41 » by magicmerl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:55 am

When players keep going up and up you don't know what their ceiling is. Last season's WS/48 of .318 was pretty godly, right up there with '13 LeBron.

If he had kept improving this year then obviously he would be better than peak LeBron and theoretically on pace to eclipse him. But he went down instead this year. Maybe that's just teething problems with the introduction of Durant. But maybe it's regression to the mean.

I think that the latter is more likely.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#42 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:22 am

Curry would need to have several years better than lebron's prime.

09,10,12,13,14.16,17 (so far)

2015/2016 Curry

2008/2011/2015 LeBron

2013/2014 Curry

2017 Curry depending on his playoffs could be at the LeBron prime level or the level underneath but higher than 2015/16 Curry.

Arguably best case scenario he could put up 4-5 years of his current level play but considering LeBron will play those years and still has an edge it's clearly impossible

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#43 » by bigboi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 am

Colbinii wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:
then CP3 must be the GOAT

Except Curry won a ring and has been the best player on some of the most dominant teams in the league.

Replace Curry with Paul and they likely win in 2015 AND 2016. And before you say "What about OKC series", Chris Paul doesn't allow them to go down 3-1.

Stop it, they don't even make the Finals with CP3 and are for sure not the best team in the league
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#44 » by bigboi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 am

mischievous wrote:
Quotatious wrote:
mischievous wrote:I remember people during the 2016 season saying Curry could become the GOAT which was always nuts, and i got attacked because I thought Curry's ceiling was more like top 15-20 range, i sort of stand by that even now.

Nobody seriously thought he could become the GOAT, people were just referring to peak (which was a reasonable discussion after the RS).

viewtopic.php?t=1417798

Not going at anyone in particular, but plenty at the time said he had no ceiling, could be top 3, could be Goat etc. So yeah, and that's how things were up through the whole regular season or close to it.

Expose them, this board is the worst. People not only have revisionist history, but overreact to everything
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,835

Re: RE: Re: Curry can not catch Lebron career wise? 

Post#45 » by Colbinii » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 am

bigboi wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
Except Curry won a ring and has been the best player on some of the most dominant teams in the league.

Replace Curry with Paul and they likely win in 2015 AND 2016. And before you say "What about OKC series", Chris Paul doesn't allow them to go down 3-1.

Stop it, they don't even make the Finals with CP3 and are for sure not the best team in the league

With an injured CP3 they don't reach the finals. If he is healthy I think they are still a 64 win team, and still the best team in the NBA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,835

Re: RE: Re: Curry can not catch Lebron career wise? 

Post#46 » by Colbinii » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 am

bigboi wrote:
mischievous wrote:
Quotatious wrote:Nobody seriously thought he could become the GOAT, people were just referring to peak (which was a reasonable discussion after the RS).

viewtopic.php?t=1417798

Not going at anyone in particular, but plenty at the time said he had no ceiling, could be top 3, could be Goat etc. So yeah, and that's how things were up through the whole regular season or close to it.

Expose them, this board is the worst. People not only have revisionist history, but overreact to everything

That isn't just this board. That is the internet, actually, it's human kind.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#47 » by Krodis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 pm

He would either need to:
A. Put up a season even better than last year such that his peak would be far enough ahead of everyone to carry him
Or
B. Put up at least half a dozen more mvp quality seasons
Or
C. Have absolutely absurd longevity while playing at an extremely high level

None of these are remotely likely. Is it impossible? No. Steve Nash climbed into the Top 30 after being a really late bloomer. But it's just an enormous gap to climb.

Sent from my SM-N910V using RealGM mobile app
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#48 » by LivingLegend » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm

What makes top 10 players of all time is longevity and dominance. The reason the top 5 are MJ, LeBron, KAJ, Duncan, Shaq, Wilt, Russell, ect is because their ability to transcend the sport for well over a decade (along with the accolades)

Curry has been great/relevant for 3 years. LeBron has been great/relevant for 14.

LeBron in his 1st NBA game out of high school put up 25 points, 9 assists and 7 rebounds. At 18 years old in the NBA. He has a looooong track record that I dont Curry possesses the talent or time to catch up with
freypies
Junior
And1: 120

Post#49 » by freypies » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm

LivingLegend wrote:What makes top 10 players of all time is longevity and dominance. The reason the top 5 are MJ, LeBron, KAJ, Duncan, Shaq, Wilt, Russell, ect is because their ability to transcend the sport for well over a decade (along with the accolades)

Curry has been great/relevant for 3 years. LeBron has been great/relevant for 14.

I agree with what you're saying, but Curry by the end of this season would have been great for at least 5.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#50 » by therealbig3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Colbinii wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:
then CP3 must be the GOAT

You're right, Chris Paul will allow them to lose after being up 3-1. :D

Seriously speaking, I vehemently disagree with this. I don't think the Warriors make it to the Finals with Paul in 2016.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#51 » by trex_8063 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:49 pm

As much as I like CP3 and feel the many casual fans/player evaluators underrate him based on team narratives, I don't think he's as good a fit for the recent Warriors teams as Curry has been. So I don't think they get any better with him.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Player Comparisons