Pre-Top 100 Project Lists (post your ATL)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Re: Pre-Top 100 Project Lists (post your ATL) 

Post#41 » by wojoaderge » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:51 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Regarding the bolded "maxim" as well as general premise where peak/dominance is the biggest consideration (with longevity being of lesser importance).......I was kinda wondering how James Harden (given current contemporaries and fellow MVP front-runners Leonard and Westbrook occupy 51st and 52nd) can be left off the top 100 entirely. Along the same lines, sort of curious how Yao doesn't make the cut. EDIT: or Anthony Davis, for that matter.

Simple - I forgot about both of them! (Yao would still probably not make it) :D Just like you forgot about HOFer George McGinnis on your list. It's a lot to sort out

trex_8063 wrote:Additionally, since it appears you put the ABA (even the early ABA) on pretty firm footing (not arguing against that, btw) based on ranking Mel Daniels #46........it furrowed my brow a little that Spencer Haywood and Connie Hawkins are no where in the top 100.

I have definitely Haywood bubbling under, Hawkins not so much. Actually, I don't regard the early ABA nearly as much as the later years. I say 71-72 and after . . .
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#42 » by kayess » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 pm

I think it's ESSENTIAL that everyone:
- post their criteria, and
- indicate things that would change their mind, in general and on certain players

I'll do the top 18 first, 100 is hard. Criteria is: overall career value, leading to expected championships, based on all the things that go into impact (so "intangibles" like leadership, which would show somehow on the scoreboard, is accounted for here). So obviously, to change my mind in general, I need evidence of impact - +/- stats, on/off, primary sources on culture change/teammates playing harder, etc. Heavy context is appreciated, but don't just say "rotational weirdness" is the reason why Manu has > +/- than some stars: that's literally what RAPM tries to account for.

I do not heavily weigh PS (as basketball does not suddenly become a different game), other than if a skill-set weakness were exploited. Even then, I would look at circumstances (was it simply a bad match-up? A once-in-a-lifetime collection of talent? And so on). E.g. - the mailman's reliance on jump-shooting late in his career, but those were against the Bulls, and it's somewhat artificially induced because of the long grind of the season.

Gaps indicate tiers, meaning I can see arguments either way for anyone within tiers, but no arguments for guys in the tiers below them (at least, if using my criteria).

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. LeBron

5. Shaq

6. Hakeem
7. Garnett
8. Duncan
9. Robinson
10. Wilt

11. Magic
12. Oscar
13. West
14. Kobe

15. Malone
16. Dr. J
17. Bird
18. Dirk
19. Barkley

So loosely:
tier 1: GOAT candidates - The myth of MJ is honestly ultra hard to overcome for me, but the top 3 can, and does change (was swayed to go with KAJ in the previous project thanks to TLAF, have Russell there sometimes, etc.) What would really do it for me is if someone looked at MJ's performances in "must-win" games to see if his invincibility in the playoffs is as we thought. I already know of one instance that I didn't before (down 0-2 to the Knicks, puts up a stinker and wins anyway), would love to see others.

LeBron's the train in the room, obviously. I think he's got a clear shot, but I am aware of my bias towards him/MJ and two-way bigs, so I will rank lower than real ranking to off-set this. His case is clear-cut: but how does it stack vs. the others?

tier 2: Shaq - honestly, I love this guy and want to put him in tier 1 (I think he has a case), but he's just more... flawed than those 4 are. Of course that doesn't matter if his actual impact footprint was on their level, but for now, this is a matter of feel and organization more than anything.

tier 3: 2-way bigs - any ranking here would make sense honestly. Hakeem gets the tiebreaker because circumstances **** him over the most.

tier 4: ATG guards, skewed towards O - +6-+7 guys on O, ~10 years of superstar impact. I am sure Magic is at the top of this tier, but not much beyond that. My view on Oscar has been heavily swayed by lorak's analysis of his impact on those early Bucks teams.

tier 5: Great PFs (and yes, that includes Bird) + Dr. J - Malone's incredible longevity and great adaptability gets the nod over the superior peak of everyone else here. Dr. J/Bird have the highest peaks imo, but are hurt by reduced longevity (if we're counting ABA here, Dr. J jumps into the next tier). Barkley suffers from a lack of D, and inconsistency.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#43 » by trex_8063 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:Regarding the bolded "maxim" as well as general premise where peak/dominance is the biggest consideration (with longevity being of lesser importance).......I was kinda wondering how James Harden (given current contemporaries and fellow MVP front-runners Leonard and Westbrook occupy 51st and 52nd) can be left off the top 100 entirely. Along the same lines, sort of curious how Yao doesn't make the cut. EDIT: or Anthony Davis, for that matter.

Simple - I forgot about both of them! (Yao would still probably not make it) :D Just like you forgot about HOFer George McGinnis on your list.

?
I forgot about George McGinnis? Don't know what that's referring to (and haven't posted a list).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#44 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 pm

An interesting thing I want to see play out is this:

Bill Walton, for example, played in 468 career games, most of them in decline, had career averages of 13.3pts 10.5reb 3.4ast. Yet most, including me somewhere back there 50ish or something, will credit him with a prominent position on this list.

Well, even ignoring the other short career guys, a number of current players have played in more games, and more games at high levels than Walton. Steph has played in 574gms. Durant 703. Cousins 487. Westbrook 668. Harden 615. Blake 471. etc. All of those guys have career numbers dwarfing what Walton put up (6215 career pts 4923 rebs). So in order for Walton to be so elevated we just have to be applying a "coulda been greater than his numbers and put up much bigger numbers" standard. But then I am almost sure we're going to turn around in many other cases and say, oops partial career, not enough numbers etc.

That's not entirely a "you guys suck" argument. I am wary/aware of myself doing it both ways as well.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:An interesting thing I want to see play out is this:

Bill Walton, for example, played in 468 career games, most of them in decline, had career averages of 13.3pts 10.5reb 3.4ast. Yet most, including me somewhere back there 50ish or something, will credit him with a prominent position on this list.

Well, even ignoring the other short career guys, a number of current players have played in more games, and more games at high levels than Walton. Steph has played in 574gms. Durant 703. Cousins 487. Westbrook 668. Harden 615. Blake 471. etc. All of those guys have career numbers dwarfing what Walton put up (6215 career pts 4923 rebs). So in order for Walton to be so elevated we just have to be applying a "coulda been greater than his numbers and put up much bigger numbers" standard. But then I am almost sure we're going to turn around in many other cases and say, oops partial career, not enough numbers etc.

That's not entirely a "you guys suck" argument. I am wary/aware of myself doing it both ways as well.

Couple of points......
Firstly, you're sort of assuming people will give him a position of prominence ("50ish or something"), when we don't know that to be the case at all (well, I KNOW that to NOT be the case for me). I'm the one tracking all the stuff itt, and I only see ONE person who has so far listed him at all (at #30); and that person has stated that longevity is a minor consideration.
I'd secondly note that Walton appears (clearly) to be a guy whose impact went well beyond his box numbers (in '77 and '78, at least), fwiw.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#46 » by wojoaderge » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 am

trex_8063 wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:

Simple - I forgot about both of them! (Yao would still probably not make it) :D Just like you forgot about HOFer George McGinnis on your list.

?
I forgot about George McGinnis? Don't know what that's referring to (and haven't posted a list).

Sorry, I had you confused with Winsome Gerbil
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,829

Post#47 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 am

trex_8063 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:An interesting thing I want to see play out is this:

Couple of points......
Firstly, you're sort of assuming people will give him a position of prominence ("50ish or something"), when we don't know that to be the case at all (well, I KNOW that to NOT be the case for me). I'm the one tracking all the stuff itt, and I only see ONE person who has so far listed him at all (at #30); and that person has stated that longevity is a minor consideration.
I'd secondly note that Walton appears (clearly) to be a guy whose impact went well beyond his box numbers (in '77 and '78, at least), fwiw.

WInsome Gerbil is a major box-score guy though (low on green, thinks Cousins is an ATG).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#48 » by mischievous » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 am

This is what I'm thinking for top 35 right off, will likely change some when i get to thinking more about it and try to set a consistent criteria.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Lebron
4. Wilt
5. Duncan
6. Shaq
7. Hakeem
8. Russell
9. Magic
10. Bird
11. Kobester
12. Oscar
13. Dr J
14. Garnett
15. West
16. Karl Malone
17. Dirk
18. Moses
19. Wade
20. Drob
21. Barkley
22. Petitt
23. Hondo
24. Stockton
25. Steve Nash
26. Elgin Baylor
27. Ewing
28. Drexler
29. Pippen
30. KD
31. Cp3
32. Frazier
33. Rick Barry
34. Payton
35. J Kidd

I'm not sure where guys like Curry, Westbrook, Harden and Kawhi rank yet, but i know they aren't serious top 35 candidates for me.
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#49 » by wojoaderge » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 am

Mike Hok wrote:[What's the argument for Barkley over Malone and KG?

Sir Charles over the Mailman on account of the playoffs. Over KG on account of the Kiki Vandeweghe>E.C.Coleman maxim.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:07 am

kayess wrote:
1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. LeBron

5. Shaq

6. Hakeem
7. Garnett
8. Duncan
9. Robinson
10. Wilt

11. Magic
12. Oscar
13. West
14. Kobe

15. Malone
16. Dr. J
17. Bird
18. Dirk
19. Barkley

Small request: can you specify a #20 just so I can more easily include your list in the amalgamations I'll be doing?

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#51 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 am

wojoaderge wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:Simple - I forgot about both of them! (Yao would still probably not make it) :D Just like you forgot about HOFer George McGinnis on your list.

?

Sorry, I had you confused with Winsome Gerbil

oops -- given I put up something like 130 names there, and he would have been somewhere in the great 59 (should have been 60) "other group...figure that was going to happen for somebody :)
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,365

Post#52 » by Ambrose » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 am

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. LeBron James
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Magic Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. Bill Russell
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal
11. Oscar Robertson
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Karl Malone
15. Moses Malone
16. Julius Erving
17. David Robinson
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Dirk Nowitzki
20. Charles Barkley
21. George Mikan
22. Kevin Durant
23. Elgin Baylor
24. Bob Pettit
25. Dwyane Wade

Others in play for top 50: Steve Nash, Isiah Thomas, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen, Kevin McHale, Bob Cousy, Elvin Hayes, Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, Patrick Ewing, Bob McAdoo, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, George Gervin, Rick Barry, Clyde Drexler, John Havlicek, Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Bill Walton, Dominique Wilkins, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, Adrian Dantley, Artis Gilmore, Grant Hill

Not very official at this point. Will see lots of movement here after hammering out my criteria and actually going through everyone + listening to the debates.
Mike Hok
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#53 » by Mike Hok » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 am

Ambrose wrote:1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. LeBron James
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Magic Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. Bill Russell
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal
11. Oscar Robertson
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Karl Malone
15. Moses Malone
16. Julius Erving
17. David Robinson
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Dirk Nowitzki
20. Charles Barkley
21. George Mikan
22. Kevin Durant
23. Elgin Baylor
24. Bob Pettit
25. Dwyane Wade

Others in play for top 50: Steve Nash, Isiah Thomas, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen, Kevin McHale, Bob Cousy, Elvin Hayes, Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, Patrick Ewing, Bob McAdoo, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, George Gervin, Rick Barry, Clyde Drexler, John Havlicek, Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Bill Walton, Dominique Wilkins, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Tracy McGrady, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, Adrian Dantley, Artis Gilmore, Grant Hill

Not very official at this point. Will see lots of movement here after hammering out my criteria and actually going through everyone + listening to the debates.

Durant at 22 is the highest I think I've seen him. What would you argue puts him ahead of D-Wade all-time wise?
GidTimeRight
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#54 » by GidTimeRight » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Tim Duncan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Magic Johnson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Karl Malone
12. David Robinson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Lebron James
16. Kevin Garnett
17. Jerry West
18. Julius Erving
19. Moses Malone
20. Charles Barkley
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. Patrick Ewing
24. Chris Paul
25. Scottie Pippen
26. Artis Gilmore
27. Hondo
28. Rick Barry
29. Clyde Drexler
30. Steve Nash
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,365

Post#55 » by Ambrose » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Mike Hok wrote:
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. LeBron James
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Magic Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. Bill Russell
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal
11. Oscar Robertson
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Karl Malone
15. Moses Malone
16. Julius Erving
17. David Robinson
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Dirk Nowitzki
20. Charles Barkley
21. George Mikan
22. Kevin Durant
23. Elgin Baylor
24. Bob Pettit
25. Dwyane Wade

Durant at 22 is the highest I think I've seen him. What would you argue puts him ahead of D-Wade all-time wise?

It's an extremely rough draft of my list. He could be anywhere between 20-35 for me right now. All it means is I thought of Durant's name first.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Re: RE: Re: Pre-Top 100 Project Lists (post your ATL) 

Post#56 » by ardee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm

GidTimeRight wrote:1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Tim Duncan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Magic Johnson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Karl Malone
12. David Robinson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Lebron James
16. Kevin Garnett
17. Jerry West
18. Julius Erving
19. Moses Malone
20. Charles Barkley
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. Patrick Ewing
24. Chris Paul
25. Scottie Pippen
26. Artis Gilmore
27. Hondo
28. Rick Barry
29. Clyde Drexler
30. Steve Nash

Kobe is my favourite player and it's not even close, but why would you take him over the Dipper?

Sent from my SM-J700F using RealGM mobile app
mischievous
General Manager

Post#57 » by mischievous » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Mike Hok wrote:
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. LeBron James
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Magic Johnson
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. Bill Russell
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal
11. Oscar Robertson
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Karl Malone
15. Moses Malone
16. Julius Erving
17. David Robinson
18. Kevin Garnett
19. Dirk Nowitzki
20. Charles Barkley
21. George Mikan
22. Kevin Durant
23. Elgin Baylor
24. Bob Pettit
25. Dwyane Wade

My guess would be recency bias.

This borders on baiting, mischievous. Please don't do it anymore. trex
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,829

Re: RE: Re: Pre-Top 100 Project Lists (post your ATL) 

Post#58 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm

GidTimeRight wrote:1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Tim Duncan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Magic Johnson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Karl Malone
12. David Robinson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Lebron James
16. Kevin Garnett
17. Jerry West
18. Julius Erving
19. Moses Malone
20. Charles Barkley
21. John Stockton
22. Dwyane Wade
23. Patrick Ewing
24. Chris Paul
25. Scottie Pippen
26. Artis Gilmore
27. Hondo
28. Rick Barry
29. Clyde Drexler
30. Steve Nash

Can you post in the criteria thread?

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#59 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:56 pm

mischievous wrote:My guess would be recency bias.

He literally posted the reason why and you still felt the need to come and insult him with this? I know you are a Wade guy, but this seems needless, no?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
mischievous
General Manager

Post#60 » by mischievous » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mischievous wrote:My guess would be recency bias.

He literally posted the reason why and you still felt the need to come and insult him with this? I know you are a Wade guy, but this seems needless, no?

Did you ever think I didn't see it? I'm not insulting anyone so relax.

Return to Player Comparisons