3. English national team (soccer)
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Seems the Leafs are a bit high, being above the Yankees. Of course, for someone who grew up a Redskin fan in the 70s and 80s, the Cowboy-ness of a team is roughly equivalent to how much I root against it.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,244

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#2042 » by AEnigma » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:42 pm

“Cowboys-ness” is more about how much they disappoint relative to their popularity. Hard for me to dispute the top three under that lens.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#2043 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:09 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Top 10 Dallas Cowboys-ness in sports

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Seems the Leafs are a bit high, being above the Yankees. Of course, for someone who grew up a Redskin fan in the 70s and 80s, the Cowboy-ness of a team is roughly equivalent to how much I root against it.

Yeah I'm writing it from the lens too young to remember when they were dominant, just the Romo/Dak/etc. type versions.

Leafs are my favorite Cowboys parallel as the biggest market and most overly covered team in the league that causes the other Canadian fanbases to cheer against them, while having long history of playoff failures from the 55+ year title drought and in particularly recently have been great in the regular season every year with lots of big stats offensive forwards but are too soft to win in playoffs leading to 6 1st round exits in a row with current core before making Rd 2 last year and losing in 5 games.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,850

Post#2044 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:18 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Celtics are a better pick than the lakers here as a cowboys analog

I never associated the Celtics as a big market bandwagon team that got media types had to talk about all the time and at least they have made a finals recently. Lakers don't have the Cowboys recent playoff failures which is why they're only 10th and a little bit below the Yankees who have a medium sized drought currently.

I don't know much about college football but I found in an article Notre Dame being compared to them so maybe they could bump the Lakers out.

Well it's really about the playoff history juxtaposted against the total history. Celtics are tied for first for championships which their fanbase absolutely loves to bring up but haven't won much as of late despite having teams that are talked about as potential champions for most of their drought. Lakers won a title 3 years ago and have won a combined 3 championships since the celtics won their last despite not being picked as a finalist or champion for most of that duration.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2045 » by AEnigma » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:55 pm

The Celtics do not belong because they are a regular contender which non-fans still sincerely believe can win. Neither the Cowboys nor Leafs nor English National Team have been serious contenders in decades.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#2046 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:43 pm

AEnigma wrote:The Celtics do not belong because they are regular contenders who non-fans still sincerely believe can win. Neither the Cowboys nor Leafs nor English National Team have been serious contenders in decades.

Well under that lens England doesn't really make sense anymore. They aren't popular/hyped enough or considered "fraudulent" enough. Most non-fans had England as a top 4-5 wc contender last summer and it's not like people feel that was crazy in hindsight. English fans have course-corrected to be pessimistic after 2010-2018.

Celtics aren't a great fit but they make more sense than the Lakers who've won plenty recently. The Clippers or the Suns are the most cowboyish in terms of hype vs success but they never won before.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2047 » by AEnigma » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:49 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
AEnigma wrote:The Celtics do not belong because they are regular contenders who non-fans still sincerely believe can win. Neither the Cowboys nor Leafs nor English National Team have been serious contenders in decades.

Well under that lens England doesn't really make sense anymore. They aren't popular/hyped enough or considered "fraudulent" enough.

Wrong.

Most non-fans had England as a top 4-5 wc contender last summer and it's not like people feel that was crazy in hindsight.

Uh huh.

English fans have course-corrected to be pessimistic after 2010-2018.

Uh huh.

Celtics aren't a great fit but they make more sense than the Lakers who've won plenty recently. The Clippers or the Suns are the most cowboyish in terms of hype vs success but they never won before.

I think it is really weird for you to be talking about this when you clearly have no idea what is meant or at play.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#2048 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:07 am

AEnigma wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Well under that lens England doesn't really make sense anymore. They aren't popular/hyped enough or considered "fraudulent" enough.

Wrong.

No u:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63607882
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/world-cup-2022-guardian-writers-predictions-for-the-tournament

Out of 20+ British writers exactly 2 have england making the final and 1 has them winning it admitting it is a matter of them "going by their heart"

Find me a major British outlet which picked them to bring it home and maybe I'll entertain you speculating on the basis of 10-year-old vibes.

Celtics are also higher up the popularity food-chain than the English national team is outside of English and American media. Maybe if you were talking 2000's the premier league specifically, but the parallel requires a lot more hops than boston does.

I think it is really weird for you to be talking about this when you clearly have no idea what is meant or at play.[/quote][/quote]
Yeah, super complex stuff. The Celtics are still a much better analog minus myopic cherrypicking of "what is at play" and pretending expectations didn't shift with the last 3 regular seasons.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2049 » by AEnigma » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:01 am

OhayoKD wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Well under that lens England doesn't really make sense anymore. They aren't popular/hyped enough or considered "fraudulent" enough.

Wrong.

No u:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63607882
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/world-cup-2022-guardian-writers-predictions-for-the-tournament

Out of 20+ British writers exactly 2 have england making the final and 1 has them winning it admitting it is a matter of them "going by their heart"

Find me a major British outlet which picked them to bring it home and maybe I'll entertain you speculating on the basis of 10-year-old vibes.

Celtics are also higher up the popularity food-chain than the English national team is outside of English and American media. Maybe if you were talking 2000's the premier league specifically, but the parallel requires a lot more hops than boston does.

“I think it is really weird for you to be talking about this when you clearly have no idea what is meant or at play.”

I think it is really weird for you to be talking about this when you clearly have no idea what is meant or at play.

Yeah, super complex stuff. The Celtics are still a much better analog minus myopic cherrypicking of "what is at play" and pretending expectations didn't shift with the last 3 regular seasons.

When you start comparing the Cowboys to the Clippers and Suns, yes, everyone can see you at no point have tracked the conversation subject.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,556

Post#2050 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:26 am

Mahomes is spectacular but he whines like he is an NBA player
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#2051 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Every part of me tells me ravens should destroy kansas but mahomes still scares the hell out of me
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2052 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:09 pm

falcolombardi wrote:Every part of me tells me ravens should destroy kansas but mahomes still scares the hell out of me

I feel confident that Baltimore is going to beat up on KC. They've played markedly better throughout the season than KC and their division performance was far more impressive.

I really like Lamar and admire the Baltimore franchise so hoping they come through.
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#2053 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:Every part of me tells me ravens should destroy kansas but mahomes still scares the hell out of me

I feel confident that Baltimore is going to beat up on KC. They've played markedly better throughout the season than KC and their division performance was far more impressive.

I really like Lamar and admire the Baltimore franchise so hoping they come through.

Also if ravens win the bowl it would be fun to have superbowl wins in 2000, 2012 and 2024
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2054 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

Also if ravens win the bowl it would be fun to have superbowl wins in 2000, 2012 and 2024

The Ravens are just a really well run franchise which is why they've consistently put out good teams over a very long timeperiod.

If I was from Cleveland fantasizing that could have been us would drive me crazy.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2055 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:08 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

The Ravens are just a really well run franchise which is why they've consistently put out good teams over a very long timeperiod.

If I was from Cleveland fantasizing that could have been us would drive me crazy.

I can't dismiss your critique which is why I wish I could see him now.
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#2056 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:17 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

Were you trying to reply to another comment?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2057 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

Were you trying to reply to another comment?

yeah, i meant to respond to a Gasol post.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,485

Post#2058 » by Jaivl » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:49 am

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Give FC Barcelona a few years and it's topping this list.

also HM to the Belgium national team, 2010-2022.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 658

Post#2059 » by Special_Puppy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:01 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

What are the most well run franchises in the NFL and NBA?
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers
-Ravens
-Spurs
-Celtics
-Heat
?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2060 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

What are the most well run franchises in the NFL and NBA?
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers
-Ravens
-Spurs
-Celtics
-Heat
?

Identifying great management in the NBA is extremely hard due to the NBA's CBA and the nature of the sport. The NBA's CBA ensures all the elite players are underpaid and that the median player will be overpaid. The rules around trading picks makes it difficult for elite management to prove itself. The owners got what they wanted in the CBA. They reduced the amount of money that goes to the players. But by doing so they drastically reduced the value of elite management.

That is a large problem because of the nature of the sport. Basketball is driven more by elite talent than almost any other team game. Idenfying elite talent is not hard in basketball. The reason why the NBA has to have a lottery is each pick declines in value significantly. Can't miss prospects almost always hit. And finally the sport is so easy to scout that there are relatively few diamonds in the rough to be found (Jokic).

As such identfying great management relative to above average management is hard to do.

Return to Player Comparisons