PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,402

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#2021 » by AEnigma » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:05 am

Embrace creativity. Why call a spade a spade when we can allude to a pike.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#2022 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:18 am

AEnigma wrote:Embrace creativity. Why call a spade a spade when we can allude to a pike.

You lost me
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2023 » by AEnigma » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:19 am

I admit that joke works a lot better in French.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#2024 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:20 am

AEnigma wrote:I admit that joke works a lot better in French.

Getting worse and worse
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,345

Post#2025 » by Statlanta » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:44 pm

I think multiple threads having no insulting or baiting as its title makes the PC Board look tacky and worse than the General Board.
Read on Twitter
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,814

Post#2026 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:49 am

Statlanta wrote:I think multiple threads having no insulting or baiting as its title makes the PC Board look tacky and worse than the General Board.

Those tags exist because the threads were becoming like the general board. Same reason why you cannot talk politics in here. If it makes them look more tacky, oh well.

People come here to talk, not to look cool.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2027 » by AEnigma » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:17 pm

Moving this here to not contribute to one of the most random derail attempts I have seen.

Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:- Great player who got drafted into a perfect system that allowed him to stay relevant well after his individual performance started declining. Pretty much the same arguments you see against Russell and Jordan where their succes is attributed to everyone around them instead of themselves because they didn't "prove themselves outside the one system they had success with". Probably most common among LeBron fans hyping up "getting it done in different environments".

Yeah the guy who beat him twice gets disrespected by his fans all the time. :roll:

Btw Russell and Duncan both won titles with completely different rosters (same head coach for Duncan though), so sick false equivalence on top of your strawman.

Funny thing is I already knew you were going to reply to this because it included a little jab at LeBron and mentions Jordan in a positive light alongside Russell and Duncan. Never change lil bro.

I am older than you, but good job, did not realise you saw it as such an accomplishment to be corrected when you blatantly make things up. If you are that desperate for someone to play with you, there are much more direct ways to go about it, in actually applicable threads.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,882

Post#2028 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:01 pm

AEnigma wrote:Moving this here to not contribute to one of the most random derail attempts I have seen.

Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Yeah the guy who beat him twice gets disrespected by his fans all the time. :roll:

Btw Russell and Duncan both won titles with completely different rosters (same head coach for Duncan though), so sick false equivalence on top of your strawman.

Funny thing is I already knew you were going to reply to this because it included a little jab at LeBron and mentions Jordan in a positive light alongside Russell and Duncan. Never change lil bro.

I am older than you, but good job, did not realise you saw it as such an accomplishment to be corrected when you blatantly make things up. If you are that desperate for someone to play with you, there are much more direct ways to go about it, in actually applicable threads.

I have you blocked and the only reason I ever see one of your posts is when you quote one of my comments, which is surprisingly often still. Yet I'm the one desperate for someone to "play with"? You're just reaching now. I'm not sure why you feel the need to "correct" me with your clearly biased opinions but the only thing you're accomplishing is getting on my nerves.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2029 » by AEnigma » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:23 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Moving this here to not contribute to one of the most random derail attempts I have seen.

Dutchball97 wrote:Funny thing is I already knew you were going to reply to this because it included a little jab at LeBron and mentions Jordan in a positive light alongside Russell and Duncan. Never change lil bro.

I have you blocked and the only reason I ever see one of your posts is when you quote one of my comments, which is surprisingly often still. Yet I'm the one desperate for someone to "play with"? You're just reaching now. I'm not sure why you feel the need to "correct" me with your clearly biased opinions but the only thing you're accomplishing is getting on my nerves.

The last time I quoted you was eight months ago, and you just talked about how you were specifically expecting a response because you could not resist trying to turn a Duncan thread into yet another of your substance-less referendums on Lebron.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#2030 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:42 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:

The last time I quoted you was eight months ago, and you just talked about how you were specifically expecting a response because you could not resist trying to turn a Duncan thread into yet another of your substance-less referendums on Lebron.

I didn't say anything about LeBron, it was about LeBron fans. It was also relevant to the point I was making as we were asked for the most negative interpretation, which would require seeing Duncan staying with one team for his entire career as a negative or at the very least not as a positive. This perspective wasn't as prevalent before LeBron won titles on 3 different teams, so my point is older players now get retroactively scrutinized for being "system players" for having their success on the same team, with the same coach and of course some teammate constants.

You don't have to agree with this but taking exception to it because it is supposed to be another one of my "susbtance-less referendums on LeBron" is a very odd way of reading my comment. I'm not even taking a side here. Nothing in my comment implies winning rings on different teams is worse than winning them all for the same team but it is a possible argument and it should be taken into account for a question dealing with hypotheticals. For the negative interpretation of Duncan, Russell and Jordan I'd say they weren't able to prove themselves in different situations and might've been products of their ideal system, while for LeBron and Wilt I'd say they had to jump teams and stack the deck before being able to achieve championship success.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2031 » by AEnigma » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:56 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:I have you blocked and the only reason I ever see one of your posts is when you quote one of my comments, which is surprisingly often still. Yet I'm the one desperate for someone to "play with"? You're just reaching now. I'm not sure why you feel the need to "correct" me with your clearly biased opinions but the only thing you're accomplishing is getting on my nerves.

I didn't say anything about LeBron, it was about LeBron fans. It was also relevant to the point I was making as we were asked for the most negative interpretation, which would require seeing Duncan staying with one team for his entire career as a negative or at the very least not as a positive. This perspective wasn't as prevalent before LeBron won titles on 3 different teams, so my point is older players now get retroactively scrutinized for being "system players" for having their success on the same team, with the same coach and of course some teammate constants.

You don't have to agree with this but taking exception to it because it is supposed to be another one of my "susbtance-less referendums on LeBron" is a very odd way of reading my comment. I'm not even taking a side here. Nothing in my comment implies winning rings on different teams is worse than winning them all for the same team but it is a possible argument and it should be taken into account for a question dealing with hypotheticals. For the negative interpretation of Duncan, Russell and Jordan I'd say they weren't able to prove themselves in different situations and might've been products of their ideal system, while for LeBron and Wilt I'd say they had to jump teams and stack the deck before being able to achieve championship success.

The Spurs very famously evolved systems around Duncan, and Kareem, Wilt, and Lebron are the only top echelon players who won titles as the best player with different franchises. Unless your “diminishing” view of Duncan is to list him fourth or at least on par with Russell and Jordan all the same, it is pretty obviously not relevant and just an attempt to bait those you dislike for criticisms they never actually make of Duncan or Russell (at which point you can make further misrepresentations and claim that eight months of total disregard qualifies as frequent interaction).
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#2032 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:12 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:The last time I quoted you was eight months ago, and you just talked about how you were specifically expecting a response because you could not resist trying to turn a Duncan thread into yet another of your substance-less referendums on Lebron.

The Spurs very famously evolved systems around Duncan, and Kareem, Wilt, and Lebron are the only top echelon players who won titles as the best player with different franchises. Unless your “diminishing” view of Duncan is to list him fourth or at least on par with Russell and Jordan all the same, it is pretty obviously not relevant and just an attempt to bait those you dislike for criticisms they never actually make of Duncan or Russell (at which point you can make further misrepresentations and claim that eight months of total disregard qualifies as frequent interaction).

Duncan's success being for a large part because of the situation he was drafted in and the consistency within the organization throughout his career is a criticism made against him though. Same goes for Russell, you can't have missed all the talk about Russell only having more rings than Wilts because he was on the Celtics. I mean, I think those criticisms aren't all that valid but it's still a view you can hold so I took that into account for the negative interpretation. I don't agree with the positive assessment either as I don't buy his prime as beig that long/consistent, even if that is partially due to injuries but I thought that was the purpose to acknowledge two ends where your own opinion would fall between.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2033 » by AEnigma » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:42 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:I didn't say anything about LeBron, it was about LeBron fans. It was also relevant to the point I was making as we were asked for the most negative interpretation, which would require seeing Duncan staying with one team for his entire career as a negative or at the very least not as a positive. This perspective wasn't as prevalent before LeBron won titles on 3 different teams, so my point is older players now get retroactively scrutinized for being "system players" for having their success on the same team, with the same coach and of course some teammate constants.

Duncan's success being for a large part because of the situation he was drafted in and the consistency within the organization throughout his career is a criticism made against him though. Same goes for Russell, you can't have missed all the talk about Russell only having more rings than Wilts because he was on the Celtics. I mean, I think those criticisms aren't all that valid but it's still a view you can hold so I took that into account for the negative interpretation. I don't agree with the positive assessment either as I don't buy his prime as beig that long/consistent, even if that is partially due to injuries but I thought that was the purpose to acknowledge two ends where your own opinion would fall between.

I acknowledge those criticisms are made, but for no relevant or productive purpose you specifically imputed them to a fanbase that typically does not make them. And then you gloated when you got a response objecting to that irrelevant and unproductive mischaracterisation.

I see Bill Russell criticised for playing with hall-of-famers / all-stars with zero regard for how good those hall-of-famers / all-stars actually were or how they typically looked in his absence (rookie year aside). And the people who do that most tend to be doing so by comparison (implicitly or explicitly) with Wilt, but the argumentation style there sounds much more like those who look to denigrate Lebron. The most common “pro-Lebron” criticism I see of Russell is a broad era criticism, but that is hardly unique, and I see the 1960s dismissed just as easily by those looking to prop up any later era — with the most egregious being that a title won by playing two rounds is de facto half as valuable as a title won by playing four rounds. :-?
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,487

Post#2034 » by Jaivl » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:01 am

Ricky Rubio would never engage on a pissing contest in an internet message board. Be better.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,927

Post#2035 » by OhayoKD » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:42 pm

Jaivl wrote:Ricky Rubio would never engage on a pissing contest in an internet message board. Be better.

kg and westbrook would
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,453

Post#2036 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:07 pm

I'm a very casual football fan, but seeing Lamar Jackson's performance today after the asinine "quarterbacky" comments really put a smile on my face :)
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,717

Post#2037 » by penbeast0 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:32 pm

AEnigma wrote:...The most common “pro-Lebron” criticism I see of Russell is a broad era criticism, but that is hardly unique, and I see the 1960s dismissed just as easily by those looking to prop up any later era — with the most egregious being that a title won by playing two rounds is de facto half as valuable as a title won by playing four rounds. :-?

The counter to that is looking at series win % . . . . which still favors Russell by a huge percentage. Russell's percentage of winning NBA titles is better than anyone else's percentage of getting to the conference finals . . . .which then goes back to the era or played with multiple all-stars critique.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,563

Post#2038 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:23 pm

Top 10 Dallas Cowboys-ness in sports

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. English national team (soccer)
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,927

Post#2039 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:59 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Top 10 Dallas Cowboys-ness in sports

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Celtics are a better pick than the lakers here as a cowboys analog
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,563

Post#2040 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:10 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Top 10 Dallas Cowboys-ness in sports

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Manchester United
5. Rory McIlroy
6. New York Yankees
7. New York Knicks
8. Arsenal
9. Kentucky (basketball)
10. Los Angeles Lakers

Celtics are a better pick than the lakers here as a cowboys analog

I never associated the Celtics as a big market bandwagon team that got media types had to talk about all the time and at least they have made a finals recently. Lakers don't have the Cowboys recent playoff failures which is why they're only 10th and a little bit below the Yankees who have a medium sized drought currently.

I don't know much about college football but I found in an article Notre Dame being compared to them so maybe they could bump the Lakers out.

Return to Player Comparisons