2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,361

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2201 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:08 pm

Lebronnygoat wrote: Again, MJ is mid 30’s on +5 efficiency compared to Embid.

But actually, not +5, but below average in both 97 and 98 (during the Finals, which was the comparison I was drawing).

And again Embid is scoring 23 points. I can’t believe you drew a line of comparison with Embid yesterday vs MJ in 1997.

Sure. Because no one would dare say something about MJ posting dog-ass shooting numbers, but he did.

Hell, you wanna dance though?

1993, ECFs versus the Knicks.

10/27 (37.0%)
12/32 (37.5%)
3/18 (16.7%)
18/30 (60%)
11/24 (45.8%)
8/24 (33.3%)

32.2 ppg, 40.0% FG, 52.2% TS (playoff league average was 53.0%.

It happens. It isn't an indictment of the player. Especially if there are mitigating circumstances. Like strong D, health concerns, teammate performance issues, etc.
Lebronnygoat
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#2202 » by Lebronnygoat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 am

tsherkin wrote:

But actually, not +5, but below average in both 97 and 98 (during the Finals, which was the comparison I was drawing).

And again Embid is scoring 23 points. I can’t believe you drew a line of comparison with Embid yesterday vs MJ in 1997.

Sure. Because no one would dare say something about MJ posting dog-ass shooting numbers, but he did.

10/27 (37.0%)
12/32 (37.5%)
3/18 (16.7%)
18/30 (60%)
11/24 (45.8%)
8/24 (33.3%)

It happens. It isn't an indictment of the player. Especially if there are mitigating circumstances. Like strong D, health concerns, teammate performance issues, etc.

Dude, last time I say this, 53% TS TODAY =/= 53% TS in 1997... rTS- -5 with 23 pts vs rTS- 0 with mid 30 pts. Ah yes, compare the 93 Knicks to the 2024 Miami team... an all time great defense. Sure MJ played subpar that series, but not sure how this even helps Embid, consistent track record of bad translation. MJ actually translates.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2203 » by tsherkin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 am

Lebronnygoat wrote:Dude, last time I say this, 53% TS TODAY =/= 53% TS in 1997... rTS- -5 with 23 pts vs rTS- 0 with mid 30 pts. Ah yes, compare the 93 Knicks to the 2024 Miami team... an all time great defense. Sure MJ played subpar that series, but not sure how this even helps Embid, consistent track record of bad translation. MJ actually translates.

He actually has a bunch of good series which you're choosing to ignore, particularly when factoring in health.

Yes, I am aware 53% TS isn't an absolute across eras. That's why I repetitiously mentioned how Jordan was also below playoff league average when he produced those results.

But you're still not really listening. Jordan had some absolute stinkers. He was a wet dog fart against the Knicks in 93, and no one really crucified him for it because people weren't micro-analyzing every game the way they do today. Embiid isn't as good as Jordan; this isn't a debatable point, nor one I'm trying to advance.

So please, pay attention to what I'm actually saying. There is some degree of overcriticality which is inconsistent from player to player. Yes, Embiid isn't a tier-one playoff performer. Some of that is health, some of it is style, some of it is that he's a seven-footer and there's limitations on what they can do. Even Shaq had his issues.

Do you remember 1997, when Shaq went up against Utah and tossed out 52.4% TS on 22.0 ppg? 4.2 ppg below his seasonal average. About 6.3% worse in FG. Looked like total crap. Two years later in 99 against the Spurs, 23.0 ppg on 50.6% TS.

Or Kobe in the Finals, in general?

There's narrative weight which supports some players and ignores any time they have a bad series. And there's narrative weight which kicks a guy when he's down, ignoring his good series. Yeah, Embiid has his issues, but you're treating him as if he has never had a good postseason, and that he's not allowed to have a rough single-game performance, and that's just non-sensical.
Lebronnygoat
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#2204 » by Lebronnygoat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 am

tsherkin wrote:
Lebronnygoat wrote:Dude, last time I say this, 53% TS TODAY =/= 53% TS in 1997... rTS- -5 with 23 pts vs rTS- 0 with mid 30 pts. Ah yes, compare the 93 Knicks to the 2024 Miami team... an all time great defense. Sure MJ played subpar that series, but not sure how this even helps Embid, consistent track record of bad translation. MJ actually translates.

He actually has a bunch of good series which you're choosing to ignore, particularly when factoring in health.

Yes, I am aware 53% TS isn't an absolute across eras. That's why I repetitiously mentioned how Jordan was also below playoff league average when he produced those results.

But you're still not really listening. Jordan had some absolute stinkers. He was a wet dog fart against the Knicks in 93, and no one really crucified him for it because people weren't micro-analyzing every game the way they do today. Embiid isn't as good as Jordan; this isn't a debatable point, nor one I'm trying to advance.

So please, pay attention to what I'm actually saying. There is some degree of overcriticality which is inconsistent from player to player. Yes, Embiid isn't a tier-one playoff performer. Some of that is health, some of it is style, some of it is that he's a seven-footer and there's limitations on what they can do. Even Shaq had his issues.

Do you remember 1997, when Shaq went up against Utah and tossed out 52.4% TS on 22.0 ppg? 4.2 ppg below his seasonal average. About 6.3% worse in FG. Looked like total crap. Two years later in 99 against the Spurs, 23.0 ppg on 50.6% TS.

Or Kobe in the Finals, in general?

There's narrative weight which supports some players and ignores any time they have a bad series. And there's narrative weight which kicks a guy when he's down, ignoring his good series. Yeah, Embiid has his issues, but you're treating him as if he has never had a good postseason, and that he's not allowed to have a rough single-game performance, and that's just non-sensical.

There's a difference of comparing all time great playoff performers worst series, vs a CONSISTENT PLAYOFF DROPPER. That is the point im making, not just going off ONE sample. All i gotta say. And even at that efficiency, MJ was more efficient than Embid, better playmaker, and facing an atg defense and was scoring CLEARLY more. Plz stop it.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,767

Post#2205 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 am

RCM88x wrote:Conditioning continues to be his biggest issue and the root of much of his shortcomings. He looked very fatigued for the entirety of the second half. Until that gets better he's probably going to continue to fall short of expectations.

It's not really a coincidence why his conditioning always looks worse in the playoffs. One is durability. The second is that defenses are allowed to be a lot more physical, making him work harder. It's probably not something he's used to given how easy he parades to the free throw line in the regular season.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,098

Post#2206 » by The-Power » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 am

Ron Swanson wrote:
70sFan wrote:Is this the worst matchup imaginable for the Celtics in the first round by the way? I can see the Heat making their lifes extremely tough, another classic 1st round is up there.

Sarcasm? Especially now with the news that Jimmy almost surely is done for the playoffs. I get the people that will say "I'll believe the Heat are dead when I see it", but in a year where the league parity is at an all-time high, getting either a 39-win Bulls team minus their two best players (LaVine, Caruso) or Miami without Butler (and maybe even Rozier) is basically a dream scenario for Boston. It does really seem to be "their year" with these kind of breaks.

When you are the #1 seed, you often tend to play a team that has been struggling for one reason or another, or a team that isn't all that good to begin with. The Bucks would have had the same break had they dominated the RS as the Celtics did.

Also, saying they are getting “a 39-win Bulls team minus their two best players (LaVine, Caruso)” is a bit disingenuous. Either they are facing a 39-win team without one of their best players in Caruso, or they are facing a Bulls team without LaVine and Caruso. Because LaVine has not really been part of the team that won 39 games. Not that it matters much because the Celtics are huge favorites anyway (and LaVine is not all that good) but there's no need to make it seem like more of a break than necessary.

Or else we could also argue that the Bucks caught a huge break by drawing one of the worst defensive teams in the league whose superstar is still being limited by injury, all while avoiding one of the best defensive teams in the league (Orlando) and one of the very best players in the league (Embiid). Technically that's all correct but it's a really biased and incomplete presentation of the facts.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2207 » by tsherkin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

Lebronnygoat wrote:There's a difference of comparing all time great playoff performers worst series, vs a CONSISTENT PLAYOFF DROPPER.

Right, but again... health, and the times when he didn't drop, right? Those aren't convenient to your campaign against Embiid, but that doesn't mean you can ignore them.

And even at that efficiency, MJ was more efficient than Embid, better playmaker, and facing an atg defense and was scoring CLEARLY more. Plz stop it.

Volume alone doesn't matter. Scoring below league playoff average efficiency isn't good. It does happen, but that's my point. You're bending over backwards like a gymnastics pretzel to defend Jordan without affording a shred of consideration to why Embiid struggled in a single game against a very good defensive team.

All I have to say, on my way out. Nothing left to gain from continuing at this point.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,550

Post#2208 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm

I don't mind the Bulls, they could've given the 2 seed a good series, but Boston is probably too good.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#2209 » by bballcool34 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 pm

Predictions for ECF and WCF? Filling out a bracket with money on the line.
Damn
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,978

Post#2210 » by RCM88x » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:47 am

Pretty shocking result here, thought for sure the Kings would take care of the Pels without Zion. Pretty dominating performance, maybe they could give OKC some fits?

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,759

Post#2211 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:43 am

Lebronnygoat wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

10/27 (37.0%)
12/32 (37.5%)
3/18 (16.7%)
18/30 (60%)
11/24 (45.8%)
8/24 (33.3%)

Dude, last time I say this, 53% TS TODAY =/= 53% TS in 1997... rTS- -5 with 23 pts vs rTS- 0 with mid 30 pts. Ah yes, compare the 93 Knicks to the 2024 Miami team... an all time great defense. Sure MJ played subpar that series, but not sure how this even helps Embid, consistent track record of bad translation. MJ actually translates.

Apologies, but I feel compelled to comment on a couple of matters. As someone skeptical of Embiid, I believe it's necessary to articulate my reasons for criticism.

Firstly, it's worth noting that the Knicks allowed a TS% of 50.4. When considering relative true shooting against opponents, MJ actually had a positive TS% against the '93 Knicks (this is how Thinking Basketball calculates it). In 1993 and '94, New York boasted two of the greatest single-season defenses in history, ranking third and fourth in relative defensive efficiencies since 1970, and marking the best two-year defensive performance since the '60s. If a player were to have an underwhelming performance, than it is more understandable it happening against then those Knicks, than compared to some of the defenses Embiid has faced.

In that series, Jordan performed better in relative terms than the average Embiid postseason performance. His Game Score of 24.4 was the highest in the series, despite it being a downturn. He maintained a 3 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio (7 assists to 2.3 turnovers), with Game Scores of 23.4 and 21.4 in the '97 and '98 NBA Finals, respectively.

Contrast this with Joel Embiid, whose career Playoff Game Score averages 17.8. On average, Embiid has been worse compared to what you might consider one of Jordan's worst series.

We can delve deeper into a specific series, perhaps '98 when Jordan was at his worst?

In the '98 Finals:

MJ averaged 35 points per 75 possessions (non-inflation adjusted for today's pace) on -0.9 rTS% when adjusted for opponents. He bore a massive offensive load of 54.4.

He maintained 2.4 assists per 75, with more assists than turnovers.

He finished with a BPM of 9.7.

Embiid has never had a fully healthy postseason series where he scored at the per-possession rate of MJ or handled the offensive load that Jordan did (which is probably fair, given his role anchoring a defense).

However, Embiid's career playoff BPM is 3.5, and only 3.1 if you consider his the seasons since 2021 when he has strongly been considered for MVP. Throughout his playoff career, Embiid has averaged more turnovers than assists and has struggled to punish defenses with quick decision-making.

Certainly, everyone has off games. However, we shouldn't ignore trends of certain players underperforming. If Embiid tends to be banged up during the postseason, it's understandable for people to hold it against him in their evaluation of him as a player, as it affects championship odds.

Criticism of Embiid isn't solely based on one game; it's about the continuation of his offensive struggles. You don't see the same level of critique directed at AD, who had a subpar playoff game, largely because he's been a more reliable postseason performer throughout his career. Embiid receiving criticism indicates that people are holding him accountable. Players who receive less criticism than they deserve after a subpar performance often have built up goodwill for consistently showing up.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#2212 » by Homer38 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 am

RCM88x wrote:Pretty shocking result here, thought for sure the Kings would take care of the Pels without Zion. Pretty dominating performance, maybe they could give OKC some fits?

The pelicans had the number of the kings all year long....6-0 against the kings
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#2213 » by eminence » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:56 pm

How I'm hoping the 1st round goes:

Boston vs Miami (Boston is great, I want to see them keep being great)
Cleveland vs Orlando (cheer a bit for the former Jazz)
Milwaukee vs Indiana (want to see Giannis with a chance to perform this year)
Philadelphia vs New York (Embiid vs another superstar big someday please)

Oklahoma City vs New Orleans (want to see the kids do okay)
Dallas vs Clippers (I'm bored of this iteration of the Clippers, just get rid of them early)
Minnesota vs Phoenix (tough matchup for the Wolves, but I'll be cheering for them all the way)
Denvers vs Lakers (Defending champs, want to see them against more teams)
I bought a boat.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#2214 » by therealbig3 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:13 pm

I don't think Boston has anything to worry about in the East, they're so far ahead of everyone else.

It's Denver in the Finals that I think can beat them. They have adequate solutions for anything Boston throws at them, and I haven't seen a defense yet that can actually slow down Jokic. Him and Murray are the best 1-2 combo in the league imo, especially in the playoffs.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#2215 » by therealbig3 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:16 pm

My predictions:

Boston over Miami
Cleveland over Orlando
Milwaukee over Indiana
NY over Philadelphia

OKC over New Orleans
Dallas over LAC
Minnesota over Phoenix
Denver over LAL

I see Cleveland/Orlando, Miwaukee/Indiana, NY/Philadelphia, and Minnesota/Phoenix being competitive series. The rest of them I don't.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,550

Post#2216 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm

This loss was more on the depth getting outplayed by guys like Nance but the Kings would get killed in a series with any of the contender teams with a physical MVP caliber big and long wings, they can't even win a game against Valanciunas. If they went on to win a title I'd guess their arc with Sabonis would be like Derozan where he's traded right before their breakthrough.

Really wish Zion was healthy for the Thunder matchup, could've been a close matchup like the Thunder vs early Grindhouse
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#2217 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:51 pm

Get well Embiid.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#2218 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:54 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:Get well Embiid.

Embiid:

https://youtu.be/w8z_5ZtPzWI?si=wz0eO6GtpryjoVtG
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,867

Post#2219 » by OhayoKD » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:46 am

Embid really shaping to be an all-time what could have been story.

Nurkic-anchored playoff defense probably isn't it.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,767

Post#2220 » by Peregrine01 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:16 am

In spurts, bron still looks like the best player in the game.

Return to Player Comparisons