RealGM
And1: 10,753

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1921 » by eminence » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:12 pm

AEnigma wrote:
70sFan wrote:
eminence wrote:
Aside

Which ~10 guys would you have for that superstar level talent in '67?

Wilt
Russell
Oscar
West
Thurmond
Barry

Are the first 6 to jump out, but at first impression I'm seeing a strong leveling after that.

Let me jump in, if you don't mind. It depends on what you mean by "superstar level" - is it an MVP level? Strong all-nba guy? I think you can get Willis Reed at that level, anyone else would be a clear downgrade in value.

I don't think there are many seasons with 10 players playing at that high level to be honest. What superstar level players would you mention for a year like 1985 for example?

There are tiers to this, as I hoped would have been suggested by me saying there were roughly 30 such players in the league in 2006 (if the question of listing names were raised, I honestly expected it more on that end).

Generally when I talk about superstars in the modern league I mean roughly top ten. In 1967, I would agree with the top five as true superstars and with Barry as borderline. I think those top five could be the best player on a title team, and Barry of course showcased enough talent to make you believe that would be true for him as well.

However, for the sake of this exercise, my definition was more someone a team could reasonably dedicate themselves to building a playoff team around. So there I think you could indeed include Willis Reed (would be a strong MVP contender two years later), as well as Baylor as an stablished (albeit fading) star and John Havlicek and Chet Walker as rising stars. I would also keep in mind the two Hawks (Wilkens and Beaty) and the high potential for Billy Cunningham (moderate MVP contender two years later once some minutes opened up).

Thanks AEnigma :)

I was just curious to see your inclusions in that next group after the first 5/6 (agreeing that Barry is on the borderline), all seem pretty reasonable. I've had '67 and the league shortly before the ABA emergence on my mind.
I bought a boat.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#1922 » by Special_Puppy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:00 am

Celtics really got Derrick White, Kristaps Porzingis, and Jrue Holiday for a bag of peanuts
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1923 » by GSP » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:04 am

Special_Puppy wrote:Celtics really got Derrick White, Kristaps Porzingis, and Jrue Holiday for a bag of peanuts

Hey it was painful to see our guys go :lol: :lol:

GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1924 » by GSP » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:39 am

Itll be a 1st round L for Okc if they get Dallas or La 1st round Imo

Both bad matchups. Paint points, 2nd chance points, body them on the glass and open up shooters with how bad they pound them down low. Both teams really make Chet a non factor more than any other team maybe. La 3-1 on them

Okc is 2-1 on Dallas but the lone loss was by 35pts, this win was w/o Luka and Dallas players getting injured and the other win was when Luka went on that historic 30-0 run and that was w/o Kyrie and pre trade when they fielded alot of g league players who almost none of them besides Lively and Djj are still on the team
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,492

Post#1925 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:06 am

GSP wrote:Itll be a 1st round L for Okc if they get Dallas or La 1st round Imo

Both bad matchups. Paint points, 2nd chance points, body them on the glass and open up shooters with how bad they pound them down low. Both teams really make Chet a non factor more than any other team maybe. La 3-1 on them

Okc is 2-1 on Dallas but the lone loss was by 35pts, this win was w/o Luka and Dallas players getting injured and the other win was when Luka went on that historic 30-0 run and that was w/o Kyrie and pre trade when they fielded alot of g league players who almost none of them besides Lively and Djj are still on the team

You may be right, but I'll point out:

At 119 points tonight, the Mavs just hit their season average and it wasn't enough. Given that it seems unlikely that Luka's presence would help the defense, it then becomes a question of how much better we would expect a healthy Mav offense to do against the Thunder than they do against an average defense.

Clearly if the Mavs can regularly go for 146 against the Thunder they'd take the series, but they're probably not doing that, so we'll just see how close they can get. Close enough and they win.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 976

Post#1926 » by Djoker » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

Form last 10 games:

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#1927 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:58 pm

Celtics/Nuggets looking similar to Cavaliers/Warriors of the 2010s
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,849

Post#1928 » by OhayoKD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:14 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Orin wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:The 76ers have played almost 1000 minutes without Embiid and have a 118.7 ORtg in that time period, why don't you go look at what's happening in that significant amount of time?

Well so, no, we really don't see Embiid being way more of an outlier than Maxey, so the mystery remains. Perhaps more granular analysis would show something that could back up a thesis that Maxey is more "+/- impactful" than Embiid in games they don't play, but this is due to a weird asynchronous impact of Embiid's foul drawing, but I can't point to anything yet.

I think our mystery has been solved:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1766520828617711998%7Ctwgr%5Eac1a0925f8150cc0cf49be84cf4d2762a0a522e3%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2341840
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,848

Post#1929 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:35 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Clearly if the Mavs can regularly go for 146

Can I just ignore the rest of the valid points you were making and let's just take this? 8-)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
PooledSilver
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#1930 » by PooledSilver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:40 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Orin wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:The 76ers have played almost 1000 minutes without Embiid and have a 118.7 ORtg in that time period, why don't you go look at what's happening in that significant amount of time?

I was curious so I did :

Embiid has been off the court for 920 minutes, 480 of them being the 10 games that he missed. Maxey played in 9 of them, culminating 351 out of the 443 extra minutes that he played over Embiid. In this stretch, they are 3-7 with an average ORtg of 114 and Maxey's ORtg in those games is 105.

Meaning that in the 440 remaining minutes without Embiid (31 games in which he played), the 76ers have an ORtg of around 122/123, with Maxey playing in less than a hundred of those minutes.

I might be missing something as I haven't dug deeper in those 31 games in which he played, but that doesn't seem enough to back up the claim that Maxey is the 76ers true offensive Mvp (Maxey's scoring efficiency is also much worse without Embiid on the floor).

To note: Embiid sat eleven 4th quarters already (132 minutes) because the 76ers were blowing their opponent out. Now, I don't know what their offensive rating is during those 4th quarters, but I suspect that it is quite high and not very meaningful minutes anyway.

Also, with Embiid drawing fouls at an absurd rate and putting the opposing centers in foul trouble, it seems to make sense to me that the team's offensive rating is much higher without him on the floor in the games he played vs the games that he missed completely (+ those minutes are against bench line-ups vs whole game).

Some great digging Orin!

The point that makes me furrow my brow the most is the aspect pertaining to Embiid sitting out the 4th in blowouts - which is certainly true, but it's an odd wrinkle pertaining to Maxey's +/- data being ignored in the 4th quarter on the grounds that the game is already over. It's hardly normal for guys teams to continue further blowing out opponents in the 4th quarter after they are resting their star.

If we break down Maxey's +/- numbers quarter-by-quarter this year, here's what we get:

1st: +28
2nd: +116
3rd: +105
4th: +111

And, just because it seems obviously informative for comparison, here are Embiid's numbers:

1st: +76
2nd: +81
3rd: +119
4th: -9

Looking at Embiid, it absolutely aligns with the idea that he's not playing 4th quarters because of blowouts.

But looking at Maxey, the weird thing is the 1st quarter, not the 4th. I think both are worth further study, but I'll acknowledge a reluctance to literally dismiss Maxey's continued +/- stat in the 4th because he's NOT playing with Embiid in those minutes.

In terms of the 1st quarter, part of what's going on here is star staggering.

If we look at a sample game flow 1/20 Phi@Cha, we see:
Embiid plays all of the 1st & 3rd quarters, and then skips the first 6 minutes of the 2nd & 4th.
Maxey by contrast takes a 3 minute breather in the 1st & 3rd quarter, and and then plays pretty much the entire 2nd & 4th quarters.

Season-wide,
Embiid plays way more 1st & 3rd quarter minutes than 2nd (or 4th).
Maxey plays more 2nd quarter minutes than any other quarter (followed by 3rd, 1st & 4th).

So I'd say what we're seeing is a situation where Embiid is sitting most of his 4th quarter minutes not because it's a blowout, but because he's being rested just like is done in the 2nd quarter. From there, the decision is made whether they need to bring him back in for the last 6 or so minutes or not. And since the team is doing so well in 4th quarters without Embiid, that makes it all the easier to not bring Embiid back in.

Regarding your points about how they've done in games with literally no Embiid, and the idea that Embiid's foul drawing might make things way easier for Maxey even while Embiid rests, these simply good points to bring to the fore - especially the second because I'd love to see more analysis done on this more generally (I'd like to see stats on this league-wide, though I'm not sure the best way to try to quantify it).

I will point out something in the other direction though that I call OnWins (along with OnWin%). As in, the number of games where the team had a positive +/- with you out there (generally with a 24 MPG threshold). Obviously there's a lot of noise in this, but I think it's worth being aware of generally, and I also think it's something that where a player like Embiid should really show up if Maxey's really only able to do his think in games where Embiid weakens the opponent.

I'm going to list out major players - guys I consider to be clear cut all-stars and above - who are atop the OnWin leaderboard for the year right now, along with their OnWin% (percentage of games they played enough minutes where they had positive +/-).

Jokic 34 out of 41 (82.9%)
SGA 30 out of 39 (76.9%)
Maxey 29 out of 40 (72.5%)
Gobert 28 out of 41 (68.3%)
George 28 out of 37 (75.7%)
Tatum 27 out of 39 (69.2%)
Edwards 27 out of 38 (71.1%)
Kawhi 26 out of 37 (70.3%)
Giannis 26 out of 39 (66.7%)
Embiid 22 out of 31 (71.0%)
Fox 22 out of 35 (62.9%)
Haliburton 22 out of 33 (66.7%)
LeBron 21 out of 38 (55.3%)

And just to show the OnWin% order neatly before discussing further

Jokic 82.9%
SGA 76.9%
George 75.7%
Maxey 72.5%
Edwards 71.1%
Embiid 71.0%
Tatum 69.2%
Gobert 68.3%
Giannis 66.7%
Haliburton 66.7%
Fox 62.9%
LeBron 55.3%

Well so, no, we really don't see Embiid being way more of an outlier than Maxey, so the mystery remains. Perhaps more granular analysis would show something that could back up a thesis that Maxey is more "+/- impactful" than Embiid in games they don't play, but this is due to a weird asynchronous impact of Embiid's foul drawing, but I can't point to anything yet.

Read on Twitter

It seems like the MVP (while playing) was indeed better than Tyrese maxey. Maxey great when up by 47 points in the fourth quarter when mac mcclung starts warming up though
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#1931 » by OhayoKD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:49 pm

PooledSilver wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Orin wrote:
I was curious so I did :

Embiid has been off the court for 920 minutes, 480 of them being the 10 games that he missed. Maxey played in 9 of them, culminating 351 out of the 443 extra minutes that he played over Embiid. In this stretch, they are 3-7 with an average ORtg of 114 and Maxey's ORtg in those games is 105.

Meaning that in the 440 remaining minutes without Embiid (31 games in which he played), the 76ers have an ORtg of around 122/123, with Maxey playing in less than a hundred of those minutes.

I might be missing something as I haven't dug deeper in those 31 games in which he played, but that doesn't seem enough to back up the claim that Maxey is the 76ers true offensive Mvp (Maxey's scoring efficiency is also much worse without Embiid on the floor).

To note: Embiid sat eleven 4th quarters already (132 minutes) because the 76ers were blowing their opponent out. Now, I don't know what their offensive rating is during those 4th quarters, but I suspect that it is quite high and not very meaningful minutes anyway.

Also, with Embiid drawing fouls at an absurd rate and putting the opposing centers in foul trouble, it seems to make sense to me that the team's offensive rating is much higher without him on the floor in the games he played vs the games that he missed completely (+ those minutes are against bench line-ups vs whole game).

Some great digging Orin!

The point that makes me furrow my brow the most is the aspect pertaining to Embiid sitting out the 4th in blowouts - which is certainly true, but it's an odd wrinkle pertaining to Maxey's +/- data being ignored in the 4th quarter on the grounds that the game is already over. It's hardly normal for guys teams to continue further blowing out opponents in the 4th quarter after they are resting their star.

If we break down Maxey's +/- numbers quarter-by-quarter this year, here's what we get:

And, just because it seems obviously informative for comparison, here are Embiid's numbers:

Looking at Embiid, it absolutely aligns with the idea that he's not playing 4th quarters because of blowouts.

But looking at Maxey, the weird thing is the 1st quarter, not the 4th. I think both are worth further study, but I'll acknowledge a reluctance to literally dismiss Maxey's continued +/- stat in the 4th because he's NOT playing with Embiid in those minutes.

Embiid plays all of the 1st & 3rd quarters, and then skips the first 6 minutes of the 2nd & 4th.
Maxey by contrast takes a 3 minute breather in the 1st & 3rd quarter, and and then plays pretty much the entire 2nd & 4th quarters.

Season-wide,
Maxey plays more 2nd quarter minutes than any other quarter (followed by 3rd, 1st & 4th).

So I'd say what we're seeing is a situation where Embiid is sitting most of his 4th quarter minutes not because it's a blowout, but because he's being rested just like is done in the 2nd quarter. From there, the decision is made whether they need to bring him back in for the last 6 or so minutes or not. And since the team is doing so well in 4th quarters without Embiid, that makes it all the easier to not bring Embiid back in.

Regarding your points about how they've done in games with literally no Embiid, and the idea that Embiid's foul drawing might make things way easier for Maxey even while Embiid rests, these simply good points to bring to the fore - especially the second because I'd love to see more analysis done on this more generally (I'd like to see stats on this league-wide, though I'm not sure the best way to try to quantify it).

I will point out something in the other direction though that I call OnWins (along with OnWin%). As in, the number of games where the team had a positive +/- with you out there (generally with a 24 MPG threshold). Obviously there's a lot of noise in this, but I think it's worth being aware of generally, and I also think it's something that where a player like Embiid should really show up if Maxey's really only able to do his think in games where Embiid weakens the opponent.

I'm going to list out major players - guys I consider to be clear cut all-stars and above - who are atop the OnWin leaderboard for the year right now, along with their OnWin% (percentage of games they played enough minutes where they had positive +/-).

SGA 30 out of 39 (76.9%)
Fox 22 out of 35 (62.9%)

Jokic 82.9%
SGA 76.9%
George 75.7%
Maxey 72.5%
Edwards 71.1%
Embiid 71.0%
Tatum 69.2%
Gobert 68.3%
Giannis 66.7%
Haliburton 66.7%
Fox 62.9%
LeBron 55.3%

Read on Twitter

It seems like the MVP (while playing) was indeed better than Tyrese maxey. Maxey great when up by 47 points in the fourth quarter when mac mcclung starts warming up though

That feeling when Embid has a better claim to statistical outlier than Jokic does...
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
PooledSilver
Sophomore

Post#1932 » by PooledSilver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:53 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Some great digging Orin!

Season-wide,

SGA 30 out of 39 (76.9%)
Fox 22 out of 35 (62.9%)

Jokic 82.9%
SGA 76.9%
George 75.7%
Maxey 72.5%
Edwards 71.1%
Embiid 71.0%
Tatum 69.2%
Gobert 68.3%
Giannis 66.7%
Haliburton 66.7%
Fox 62.9%
LeBron 55.3%

Read on Twitter

That feeling when Embid has a better claim to statistical outlier than Jokic does...

“Embiid robbed us of that Embiid Jokic matchup because he was afraid of Jokic!” (literally gets bullied into going back early and getting hurt, Jokic literally has said publically this year Embiid kills him, and Embiid kills him H2H)

Embiid is just gonna be hurt in the playoffs again though it’s very funny how this man Lowkey might be the best in the league (he’s probably not) but continuously gets hurt right before the playoffs start in random ways
PooledSilver
Sophomore

Post#1933 » by PooledSilver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Some great digging Orin!

Season-wide,

SGA 30 out of 39 (76.9%)
Fox 22 out of 35 (62.9%)

Jokic 82.9%
SGA 76.9%
George 75.7%
Maxey 72.5%
Edwards 71.1%
Embiid 71.0%
Tatum 69.2%
Gobert 68.3%
Giannis 66.7%
Haliburton 66.7%
Fox 62.9%
LeBron 55.3%

Read on Twitter

For my next trick I’ll explain how Steph curry is better than a rookie
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#1934 » by OhayoKD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:56 pm

PooledSilver wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:

Read on Twitter

“Embiid robbed us of that Embiid Jokic matchup because he was afraid of Jokic!” (literally gets bullied into going back early and getting hurt, Jokic literally has said publically this year Embiid kills him, and Embiid kills him H2H)

Embiid is just gonna be hurt in the playoffs again though it’s very funny how this man Lowkey might be the best in the league (he’s probably not) but continuously gets hurt right before the playoffs start in random ways

At least injured Embid has led the league in playoff on/off.

Jokic otoh...
PooledSilver
Sophomore

Post#1935 » by PooledSilver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:That feeling when Embid has a better claim to statistical outlier than Jokic does...

Jokic otoh...

Now you’re being an idiot XD

Jokic is in the same position of Giannis post 2021 although in a better situation for his talent to pan out since his staff aren’t war criminals

Embiid won’t be healthy this year and he’ll never be healthy again with his meniscus gone
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,492

Post#1936 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:25 pm

PooledSilver wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Orin wrote:
I was curious so I did :

Some great digging Orin!

Season-wide,

SGA 30 out of 39 (76.9%)
Fox 22 out of 35 (62.9%)

Jokic 82.9%
SGA 76.9%
George 75.7%
Maxey 72.5%
Edwards 71.1%
Embiid 71.0%
Tatum 69.2%
Gobert 68.3%
Giannis 66.7%
Haliburton 66.7%
Fox 62.9%
LeBron 55.3%

Read on Twitter

Not looking to make any arguments, but I will present the same data I posted before based on how it looks now:

Maxey +/- by quarter:

1st: +3 (-25 since last)
2nd: +85 (-31 since last)
3rd: +74 (-31 since last)
4th: +41 (-70 since last)

Embiid +/- by quarter:

1st: +69 (-7 since last)
2nd: +74 (-7 since last)
3rd: +109 (-10 since last)
4th: -15 ( -6 since last)

Would like to see more analysis in terms of what specifics are causing this. Completely fine for folks to emphasize that Embiid is the MVP of the team, but I did previously really try not to give the impression I was looking to advocate Maxey for MVP.

I think clearly Maxey's gotten hit hardest in the 4th since back then, and certainly an argument that this is due to Maxey playing in garbage time seems to fit, but to me it's quite a lot to explain by simply saying "garbage time". As I said before, things like Embiid possibly fouling out opponents to soften things up for Maxey is an intriguing possibility, but I don't have statistical proof of this.

Going into OnWin & OnWin% (eliminating MP threshold because it's been pointed out that among superstars these are sometimes due to blowout wins):

Jokic 50 (out of 64)
SGA 48 (out of 65)
Tatum 45 (out of 63)
Edwards 44 (out of 63)
Gobert 43 (out of 63)
George 43 (out of 59)
Giannis 42 (out of 64)
Kawhi 39 (out of 59)
Fox 34 (out of 57)
Haliburton 33 (out of 54)
LeBron 32 (out of 58)
Maxey 33 (out of 57)
Embiid 23 (out of 34)

And by OnWin%:

Jokic 78.1%
SGA 73.8%
George 72.9%
Tatum 71.4%
Edwards 69.8%
Gobert 68.3%
Embiid 67.6%
Kawhi 66.1%
Giannis 65.6%
Haliburton 61.1%
Fox 59.6%
Maxey 57.9%
LeBron 55.2%
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#1937 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:45 am

PooledSilver wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:

Jokic otoh...

Jokic is in the same position of Giannis post 2021 although in a better situation for his talent to pan out since his staff aren’t war criminals

Embiid won’t be healthy this year and he’ll never be healthy again with his meniscus gone

Where are you getting his meniscus is gone? We don't know if the meniscus was repaired or removed.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#1938 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:30 am

So is the only thing stopping Sabonis from being the Lillard to Jokic's Curry that he has to show up in the playoffs? 20.1 pts, 13.6 reb and 8.4 ast on .654 TS% is pretty nice.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#1939 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 am

eminence wrote:What year do you think the talent per team level caught back up to the 1967 level after expansion? Counting both NBA/ABA.

I can see a pretty broad range here.

My initial thought was quite a long time, possibly not until the 00s.

Kind of an impossible to answer question since the 67 teams are obviously more talented for their league than any post expansion teams, by nature of there being only 10 teams. The two worst teams in the league still had combos like Gus Johnson/Ohl and DeBusschere/Bing that are still probably more impressive combos for 67 than Paolo and Franz are for 24. So to claim that teams in the 2000s with 20-30 teams could be more talented than teams in a 10 team league, you'd have to go down the road of claiming that the modern players who are worse for their league are in reality more talented just in a harder league, like 24 Paolo being 70 Reed's equal in talent, which is a dicier argument to make overall I think.
PooledSilver
Sophomore

Post#1940 » by PooledSilver » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:46 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
PooledSilver wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:At least injured Embid has led the league in playoff on/off.

Jokic otoh...

Where are you getting his meniscus is gone? We don't know if the meniscus was repaired or removed.

Think they said they trimmed it right? Misread though ngl

Return to Player Comparisons