Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,622

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#81 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:37 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
eminence wrote:I kinda think CP3 and Dray might love one another on the same team.

Yeah they should get along, they’re part of the same friend group or something right?

Bourre buddies?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#82 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:42 am

Read on Twitter

The Clippers are still the worst-run franchise in the NBA. The Wizards can only hope to get on our level of ineptitude. One conference finals appearance in 53 years and with decades of decision-making like this, it's not hard to see why.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#83 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:42 am

parsnips33 wrote:Nobody on that team liked Poole lol Draymond was the only guy crazy enough to do something about it

What's the reason for this hyperbole when it's obviously incorrect? Obviously we won't ever truly know how every player felt about him but the statement that ‘nobody liked him’ is demonstrably false. Just... plain wrong. You might be projecting here.

Just two of the many examples you can find in one minute:

Read on Twitter

It’s also true that Poole was well-liked in the locker room. He’s close with most of the other players, including Andrew Wiggins, Donte DiVincenzo, Kevon Looney and Gary Payton II.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2023/05/20/warriors-offseason-the-misconceptions-around-jordan-poole/

Poole has always been a cheerleader for everyone and you can easily see in the way he interacts with teammates and how they talk about him that he's very well-liked. Up and down the roster, including with two-way players (such as Weatherspoon). Perhaps the older generation was at times annoyed by him but that has nothing to do with whether they liked him. It was a Draymond problem, and that was obvious at the time and it is obvious now.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,660

Post#84 » by tsherkin » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:49 am

Colbinii wrote:
1993Playoffs wrote:CP3 Curry and Dray on the same team.

Not to be confused with Carmelo, Westbrook, Dwight and LeBron on the same team :wink:

Not quiiiiite the same situation, though, given the level of play from the guys on LA versus GSW.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,817

Post#85 » by Mos_Heat » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:30 am

Any idea who Sac gonna target with a near max?
:reporter:
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Post#86 » by RCM88x » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:48 am

Brooklyn not taking Scoot and Simmons for Bridges is wild to me. What are the chance Bridges value is higher at any point in the future than it is right now? Perhaps you can say the same for Scoot too, but I'd much rather take a risk on that than Bridges.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#87 » by eminence » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:47 pm

I'm pretty happy with the draft for the Jazz. Hendricks seems like a good solid fit, and then two high upside swings on the perimeter.
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#88 » by eminence » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Replacement player is a concept that's used quite a bit, usually estimated at a -2 to -2.5 on an impact scale.

What level would y'all estimate a 'replacement team' on a net rating scale? How accurate do you feel looking at the first year of all expansion teams would be at estimating such a number?

Edit: For info's sake the expansion teams post-merger have averaged a -8.3 net rating in their first seasons.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,154

Post#89 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:47 pm

eminence wrote:Replacement player is a concept that's used quite a bit, usually estimated at a -2 to -2.5 on an impact scale.

What level would y'all estimate a 'replacement team' on a net rating scale? How accurate do you feel looking at the first year of all expansion teams would be at estimating such a number?

Edit: For info's sake the expansion teams post-merger have averaged a -8.3 net rating in their first seasons.

Roughly -10 is a replacement team.

-8.3 is slightly higher because most expansion teams have a couple of players > replacement level
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#90 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:28 pm

The-Power wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:Nobody on that team liked Poole lol Draymond was the only guy crazy enough to do something about it

What's the reason for this hyperbole when it's obviously incorrect? Obviously we won't ever truly know how every player felt about him but the statement that ‘nobody liked him’ is demonstrably false. Just... plain wrong. You might be projecting here.

Read on Twitter

It’s also true that Poole was well-liked in the locker room. He’s close with most of the other players, including Andrew Wiggins, Donte DiVincenzo, Kevon Looney and Gary Payton II.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2023/05/20/warriors-offseason-the-misconceptions-around-jordan-poole/

Poole has always been a cheerleader for everyone and you can easily see in the way he interacts with teammates and how they talk about him that he's very well-liked. Up and down the roster, including with two-way players (such as Weatherspoon). Perhaps the older generation was at times annoyed by him but that has nothing to do with whether they liked him. It was a Draymond problem, and that was obvious at the time and it is obvious now.

It’s crazy how so many people try to rationalize Draymond knocking out his teammate by blaming it on said teammate. Seems pretty clear that the Warriors are doing it too, including Steph.

Can’t say I’m surprised but this has turned me off from the Warriors big time. These guys have caved to the bully again and again.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#91 » by rk2023 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:31 pm

eminence wrote:I'm pretty happy with the draft for the Jazz. Hendricks seems like a good solid fit, and then two high upside swings on the perimeter.

Utah is one of my draft 'winners' (of course, tentative subject - where I don't like to coin 'losers' due to that) along with Houston, Charlotte [even with taking Miller at 2], and OKC
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,667

Post#92 » by parsnips33 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:44 pm

The-Power wrote:

Read on Twitter

I mean neither of us can know for sure

I think if he was really so well-liked, the Draymond incident would have resolved differently
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#93 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:31 pm

parsnips33 wrote:I think if he was really so well-liked, the Draymond incident would have resolved differently

That makes zero sense. You can be well-liked but still on the outs at an org that values another guy more. And it’s clear where the org stood when said guy knocked out the guy who’s now on the outs and were so soft that they didn’t even dare to punish him.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#94 » by ardee » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:50 am

People are really forgetting how good Poole was in the title year, particularly the last one third of the RS and then the Playoffs.

This trade will come back to bite GSW in the behind. His dropoff this year was due to a specific incident and he is going to be fine in an environment where he doesn't have to interact with his attacker daily. Meanwhile the team that traded him has given up their future.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,569

Post#95 » by 70sFan » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:02 am

It's a poor situation for Poole, but I don't get why people think it's a bad trade from basketball perspective. I don't love the idea of very old and injury prone player replacing him for full postseason, but Poole has been a clear negative for the Warriors this year. Last year he had some great moments in the playoffs, but he wasn't really useful at the highest stage.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#96 » by weekend_warrior » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:31 am

GSW probably has to make this move (or a similar one) considering the situation they brought themselves into. They have always catered to Green and accepted his antics. It was a successful concept in the past. He still has the support of Curry and any window of success is completely reliant on Steph for the next 2-3 years.

From an asset management POV, they did a terrible job though in the last years. They now end up with one of the oldest teams in the league that has injury concern, concerns over roster fit and chemistry (despite the departure of Poole) and generally very big question marks whether the approach of small and unathletic can still win in this league in 2024. Chances are that this is gonna fall apart completely next season. If either Curry or CP3 get injured for an extended stretch (and it would be reasonable to expect that to happen), this is a truly terrible team.

As far as Poole is concerned, I expect him to rebound in a new environment and play on a borderline allstar level. I am convinced that the guy is much better than it appeared last season in a toxic environment. It has some risk but could turn out to be a tremendous move for Washington who even got compensated with some draft capital for shipping out the corpse of CP3.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#97 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter

There might never be a more sensitive athlete than KD. Elon himself doesn't even care this much about Twitter.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,622

Post#98 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:42 pm

ardee wrote:People are really forgetting how good Poole was in the title year, particularly the last one third of the RS and then the Playoffs.

This trade will come back to bite GSW in the behind. His dropoff this year was due to a specific incident and he is going to be fine in an environment where he doesn't have to interact with his attacker daily. Meanwhile the team that traded him has given up their future.

I don't think there's any doubt that the Warriors have no chosen the present over the future, so there will be a cost...but I also think that recognizing that Steph Curry is a talent far greater than any of the young guys (Poole, Wiseman, Kuminga, Moody) could realistically be hoped to be means that a move in this direction is wise if your goal is to maximize the Curry years.

That doesn't necessarily mean that this trade was a good move - time will tell - but there's a cold hard logic to this that just makes sense to me.

I just think it sucks all this happening in the wake of Draymond's punch.

I'll be pulling for Poole to find his groove again.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,386

Post#99 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:14 pm

ardee wrote:People are really forgetting how good Poole was in the title year, particularly the last one third of the RS and then the Playoffs.

I think its fair to say that last year may have been more due to the incident and its fallout but at this point I'd lean more towards last season being indicative of who he will be as a player then the smaller sample from the year before. Either way, I don't think he's a future all star even if he improves. I think that's beyond him.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,935

Post#100 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:09 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

I don't think there's any doubt that the Warriors have no chosen the present over the future, so there will be a cost...but I also think that recognizing that Steph Curry is a talent far greater than any of the young guys (Poole, Wiseman, Kuminga, Moody) could realistically be hoped to be means that a move in this direction is wise if your goal is to maximize the Curry years.

That doesn't necessarily mean that this trade was a good move - time will tell - but there's a cold hard logic to this that just makes sense to me.

I just think it sucks all this happening in the wake of Draymond's punch.

I'll be pulling for Poole to find his groove again.

This is not the tune you were humming when the 18 cavs traded away one second roudner
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL

Return to Player Comparisons