2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,436

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1981 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm

Highest net rating of all time for teams.

The Celtics are stacked. I don't think some people in the media realize how incredible they've been in the RS.

It'd be a failure if they don't win it all considering how dominant they've been.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#1982 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:18 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:Image

The Celtics are stacked. I don't think some people in the media realize how incredible they've been in the RS.

It'd be a failure if they don't win it all considering how dominant they've been.

They're probably the best team since the 2016-17 Warriors
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,849

Post#1983 » by GSP » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:59 am

Always trips me out when Im reminded 16 Spurs had a higher net rating than 16 Warriors
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,849

Post#1984 » by GSP » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:46 am

How many teams in history have had a better big man rotation than Rudy, Kat, Naz for 24 Wolves? They are each so different from each other too with completely different strengths. So much lineup versatility w/ a stud like Ant and shooting they have

Kat went down and theyre 7-2 since........one a narrow 3pt loss to Denver w/ Kat, Rudy and Naz all out
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,549

Post#1985 » by 1993Playoffs » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:22 pm

This gotta be my least watched season by far. I barely remember watching any games
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#1986 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 pm

For those who never check the general board this is a fun thread! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2366906
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,555

Post#1987 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:17 pm

GSP wrote:

Always trips me out when Im reminded 16 Spurs had a higher net rating than 16 Warriors

Even stranger fact. SAS lost to OKC in 6 despite outscoring them in that series while GSW beat OKC despite OKC outscoring them in that series.

Best cores by decade that never won a title
2010s: Thunder
2000s: Suns
1990s: Jazz (though I expect some would pick Sonics)
1980s: Bucks
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,555

Post#1988 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm

Complete agreement. I think the Celtics dominance this year is slept on because they don't have an ATG player on their roster. Tatum is great and a HOFer but I don't think anyone thinks of him as a potential top 10 all time guy. Table roster construction, I think they'd be viewed very different if their best player was Jokic even if the results were exactly the same

Basketball fans, for understandable reasons, think of great teams as inevitably based around a historic player. Boston doesn't fit that mold so there is both skepticism and under appreciation of how great they are.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,335

Post#1989 » by The High Cyde » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 pm

Clips seem to have imploded. Just got too old over the season, lost now five straight at home smh.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#1990 » by RCM88x » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:56 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Clips seem to have imploded. Just got too old over the season, lost now five straight at home smh.

This team feels like the '17 and '18 Cavs, just so apathetic bout the regular season. Right or wrong, I don't think they view the Pelicans (or Wolves) as a threat and are angling to matchup with them in the 4-5 or 3-6 series. Could be off base here but I'm not too worried, they're trying to stay healthy over everything else. We'll see if they prove me wrong in the playoffs but this is the one team that I wouldn't really correlate their regular season finish with their playoff prospects much, if at all.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,847

Post#1991 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Clips seem to have imploded. Just got too old over the season, lost now five straight at home smh.

Won't matter. Clippers will get somehow get 4 and Dallas will get up to 5 and we'll do it one more time. :D Hopefully Luka has some teammates up for the fight this time.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,436

Post#1992 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 am

RCM88x wrote:

This team feels like the '17 and '18 Cavs, just so apathetic bout the regular season. Right or wrong, I don't think they view the Pelicans (or Wolves) as a threat and are angling to matchup with them in the 4-5 or 3-6 series. Could be off base here but I'm not too worried, they're trying to stay healthy over everything else. We'll see if they prove me wrong in the playoffs but this is the one team that I wouldn't really correlate their regular season finish with their playoff prospects much, if at all.

Thing is, the Cavs made the finals 2 straight seasons before that.

I think the Pelicans will knock them out if they meet in the 1st round.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,239

Post#1993 » by AEnigma » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 am

I am pretty out on the Pelicans. Feels like they have one of the worst starting groups, and that matters much more in the postseason than having an elite bench.

That said, the bench could give them a nice cushion against thin teams like the Clippers, so maybe they can pull it off.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#1994 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:59 am

Yeah that's how it feels to me too, though if I were another team I'd certainly still see them as extremely dangerous in the playoffs.

I feel like the aging part of this doesn't explain the rate of fall off. It's like they ran out of morale, and then fell off at the next cliff on the road where they needed to be locked in together. There's a particular flavor of this that is very much about their aging curve, but I don't think it was inevitable, and as I alluded to, once you can focus in on just being better than this one opponent 4 out of 7 games, they might get a bit of that earlier groove back.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#1995 » by Special_Puppy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

Yeah that's how it feels to me too, though if I were another team I'd certainly still see them as extremely dangerous in the playoffs.

I feel like the aging part of this doesn't explain the rate of fall off. It's like they ran out of morale, and then fell off at the next cliff on the road where they needed to be locked in together. There's a particular flavor of this that is very much about their aging curve, but I don't think it was inevitable, and as I alluded to, once you can focus in on just being better than this one opponent 4 out of 7 games, they might get a bit of that earlier groove back.

Clippers still +550 to win the championship which is the 3rd shortest odds behind Denver and Boston. Betters still really believe in the Kawhi+PG+Harden core
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#1996 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

Thing is, the Cavs made the finals 2 straight seasons before that.

I think the Pelicans will knock them out if they meet in the 1st round.

Yeah, there's a natural lack of urgency that comes from having successfully done the thing last year wearing the same colors, and the year before, etc. You've earned credit from those you need credit from in order to be assured of continuing to get what you want.

If the Clippers win the title this year with the stars playing at their best, they all get whatever they want from the billionaire about to open a new stadium built primarily for the Clipper franchise.

If the Clippers lose in the first round, I'd imagine Harden is gone, he and a bunch of other guys are probably in a lot worse shape. It's even possible that this leads to George not getting the next contract offer from the Clippers he was expecting this off-season.

So yeah, I don't think Clippers are just chillin'. I think it's concerning to those in and around that locker room.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,088

Post#1997 » by jalengreen » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:13 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Clippers still +550 to win the championship which is the 3rd shortest odds behind Denver and Boston. Betters still really believe in the Kawhi+PG+Harden core

Noticed this and it surprised me. Think they lose R1 to the Pelicans if BI's back (which is a question mark tbf).
I guess the league's generally uninspiring other than Denver and Boston so #3 isn't crazy, but +550 is still generous to me.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,711

Post#1998 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:08 am

Getting Dame was supposed to unlock the Bucks in tight half-court games and so far this season, I've really not seen any of that. Wonder what changes they can make? They should probably just run more high screen roll with Dame and Giannis but Dame doesn't do well with traps and good switching teams can stall them anyway.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1999 » by penbeast0 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 pm

It's that weird time of year when the Clipper are worried about losing streaks in the West and the Wizards have the longest winning streak in the East.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#2000 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:57 pm

penbeast0 wrote:It's that weird time of year when the Clipper are worried about losing streaks in the West and the Wizards have the longest winning streak in the East.

It's 1978 all over again
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to Player Comparisons