2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,238

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2021 » by ardee » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:06 am

The league is just too talented now, a lot of guys are going to get left off All-NBA teams each year now that would have otherwise made it for sure.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#2022 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:22 pm

Too talented or just the rules and coaching styles are showcasing the teams' top scorers more than historical norms so it feels that way.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 696

Post#2023 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:28 pm

jalengreen wrote:Man i hate the change to positionless. Will see how my opinion ages but just dont like it rn

Why?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,870

Post#2024 » by Dutchball97 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:36 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Too talented or just the rules and coaching styles are showcasing the teams' top scorers more than historical norms so it feels that way.

Which players are you alluding to with this? Because tbh I don't really see a whole lot of Bradley Beal-like empty calorie scorers being talked about as potential All-NBA guys.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,920

Post#2025 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Too talented or just the rules and coaching styles are showcasing the teams' top scorers more than historical norms so it feels that way.

You think the league isn't as talented now as it was in the past?

I'd like that explained, how teams have far more players with NBA skills (Shooting, Passing, ect) yet the players aren't more talented.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
penbeast0

Post#2026 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:52 pm

Not a particular player, just an increased trend toward having your star scorers also be primary playmakers and away from the 2 bigs teams which means that the scorers will tend on the average to have better assist and rebound percentages without teams having the pass first PG and the dirty work rebounding big type players playing as many minutes. Thus the scorers will also be able to demonstrate a more rounded game than in earlier eras where those type of roleplayers were more common.

Not sure this is true but it seems to be the case.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,792

Post#2027 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:20 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Not a particular player, just an increased trend toward having your star scorers also be primary playmakers and away from the 2 bigs teams which means that the scorers will tend on the average to have better assist and rebound percentages without teams having the pass first PG and the dirty work rebounding big type players playing as many minutes. Thus the scorers will also be able to demonstrate a more rounded game than in earlier eras where those type of roleplayers were more common.

Never mind the stars, the role players are definitely more talented and required to do more than a couple of decades ago.
penbeast0

Post#2028 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:27 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:Never mind the stars, the role players are definitely more talented and required to do more than a couple of decades ago.

Not sure about this. A lot more 3 and D players, a lot less big men role players, possibly (not sure) less pass first playmakers, not sure at all whether there are more instant offense guys or less. Used to be that the Bruce Bowan type of limited skill guys that could only shoot but hustled on defense were rare, now they are common. Used to be that the Charles Oakley type of physical bruiser who did a lot of the pick setting and the like that would play next to the rim protector were common, now they are rare. Different skills rather than one being more skilled.

There are indeed more skilled players total thanks to the great improvement in world basketball greatly increasing the player pool plus not having expansion in a long time to balance it out so in that I certainly agree with you but that wasn't the point I was making.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,792

Post#2029 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Not a particular player, just an increased trend toward having your star scorers also be primary playmakers and away from the 2 bigs teams which means that the scorers will tend on the average to have better assist and rebound percentages without teams having the pass first PG and the dirty work rebounding big type players playing as many minutes. Thus the scorers will also be able to demonstrate a more rounded game than in earlier eras where those type of roleplayers were more common.

Never mind the stars, the role players are definitely more talented and required to do more than a couple of decades ago.

Not sure about this. A lot more 3 and D players, a lot less big men role players, possibly (not sure) less pass first playmakers, not sure at all whether there are more instant offense guys or less. Used to be that the Bruce Bowan type of limited skill guys that could only shoot but hustled on defense were rare, now they are common. Used to be that the Charles Oakley type of physical bruiser who did a lot of the pick setting and the like that would play next to the rim protector were common, now they are rare.

To be honest, a lot of the Bruce Bowens back then weren't even as good at shooting as Bruce Bowen. You had guys like Michael Curry, Trenton Hassell, Adrian Griffin, Greg Buckner, young Raja Bell, Ruben Patterson, etc. being rotation wing players despite either having no jumper to speak of or just spotting up for inefficient midrangers.

The Bowens of today have to be able to get off higher volumes (often by being movement shooters like a KCP for example) from different areas of the court and can't just camp out in the corner forever. The ones who flat-out can't do anything offensively just don't play period, no matter how good they might be defensively. Similarly, guys like Oakley who did nothing but set picks and knock heads have been replaced by more versatilte defenders with an actual offensive skill (usually shooting).
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,735

Post#2030 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:46 pm

I tend to fall on the side of the average role-player now being "more skilled" than yesteryear because I believe that to be objectively true, but I also don't think that "there are more Michael Coopers now than there were in 1985" is any sort of compelling argument for the league as a whole being significantly more talented now. That seems much more subjective and based on what you innately define as basketball talent vs. evolution of the sport and how players adapt. Like, does Duncan Robinson have an NBA role on any team before the advent of the 3PT line? Are all these bigs now bringing the ball up the court that much more skilled at dribbling, or is it just easier now with looser carrying rules? I don't really think it's as simple as "bigger player pool = better/more talent".
penbeast0

Post#2031 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:41 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I tend to fall on the side of the average role-player now being "more skilled" than yesteryear because I believe that to be objectively true, but I also don't think that "there are more Michael Coopers now than there were in 1985" is any sort of compelling argument for the league as a whole being significantly more talented now. That seems much more subjective and based on what you innately define as basketball talent vs. evolution of the sport and how players adapt. Like, does Duncan Robinson have an NBA role on any team before the advent of the 3PT line? Are all these bigs now bringing the ball up the court that much more skilled at dribbling, or is it just easier now with looser carrying rules? I don't really think it's as simple as "bigger player pool = better/more talent".

For any individual comparison, it's not that simple but as you expand the parameters of your search to include more than the highest level outliers, it becomes more and more of a factor. So, I think it's a real thing when you talk about the league but not necessarily when you are trying to compare the skill sets of Matisse Thybulle and Tony Allen for example.

It's a different question than whether playing the enforcer role of a Charles Oakley requires more or less "skill" than playing the stretch 4 role of a PJ Tucker.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#2032 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:04 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I tend to fall on the side of the average role-player now being "more skilled" than yesteryear because I believe that to be objectively true, but I also don't think that "there are more Michael Coopers now than there were in 1985" is any sort of compelling argument for the league as a whole being significantly more talented now. That seems much more subjective and based on what you innately define as basketball talent vs. evolution of the sport and how players adapt. Like, does Duncan Robinson have an NBA role on any team before the advent of the 3PT line? Are all these bigs now bringing the ball up the court that much more skilled at dribbling, or is it just easier now with looser carrying rules? I don't really think it's as simple as "bigger player pool = better/more talent".

For any individual comparison, it's not that simple but as you expand the parameters of your search to include more than the highest level outliers, it becomes more and more of a factor. So, I think it's a real thing when you talk about the league but not necessarily when you are trying to compare the skill sets of Matisse Thybulle and Tony Allen for example.

It's a different question than whether playing the enforcer role of a Charles Oakley requires more or less "skill" than playing the stretch 4 role of a PJ Tucker.

I mean, Oakley made an All-Star team while P.J. Tucker was probably never a Top 100 player in the League, maybe not even Top 150. If you are trying to compare them, that sort of shows the difference in Talent in the NBA.

I think being an "enforcer" is far less skillful than shooting a basketball and running DHO's and other sets with tons of player movement.

I would also argue that players today are more optimized--they have better and more efficient/effect workout plans and they have better understanding of how to maximize their bodies and minds and get the most out of their talent.

Players today tend to be better at basketball than in previous era's because player's are required to do more on the court with the amount of actions in a single possession.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
penbeast0

Post#2033 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:12 pm

Use Ricky Mahorn then, I don't want it to be about the individual players, just the role. And I'm not saying you are wrong; the enforcer role was more physically demanding, the 3 and D probably more mentally demanding.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#2034 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:36 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Use Ricky Mahorn then, I don't want it to be about the individual players, just the role. And I'm not saying you are wrong; the enforcer role was more physically demanding, the 3 and D probably more mentally demanding.

3+D is also just an outdated term.

Herb Jones is up to over 3 Assists per 36 Minutes meanwhile Jaden McDaniels is at < 2 Assists per 36 Minutes.

3+D now requires you to be able to consistently hit 3's at an above league average clip [Considering the shots are either Corner 3's or uncontested Catch and shoot] and attack close-outs with a dribble move or shot fake, taking 2-3 dribbles in and then pass it to the open Corner 3 or back to the opposite wing.

These players aren't like Bruce Bowen where he would literally just stand in a corner. Look at Mikal Bridges, he had a full arsenal of a mid-range game he utilizes when he attacks a close-out aggressively.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,249

Post#2035 » by AEnigma » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:50 pm

PJ Tucker is the closest player remaining to that Bowen offensive archetype, but I am not sure he would be in the league anymore were he not specifically useful as a frontcourt option.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#2036 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:01 pm

AEnigma wrote:PJ Tucker is the closest player remaining to that Bowen offensive archetype, but I am not sure he would be in the league anymore were he not specifically useful as a frontcourt option.

Yup. His physical strength allowed him to guard larger wings (Durant, Kawhi, Butler, Tatum, ect) well enough to stay on the court in the playoffs, even though you were sacrificing offense to do so.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,890

Post#2037 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:09 pm

3&D definitely isn't outdated. Sure sometimes those guys have to attack a closeout or pick up some assists from making an extra pass to beat rotations, but those guys are still on the court to defend and are able to stay on the court because teams have to honor them from the stripe.

Just like the Mavs two rim runners have to sometimes play a Draymond-like role when teams blitz Luka, but make no mistake they play because they can protect the rim and provide vertical spacing. They are your classic modern rim rollers despite sometimes having to do more than that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#2038 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:25 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:3&D definitely isn't outdated.

Right. 3+D players in today's league do so much more than shoot the 3 and defend.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,890

Post#2039 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:48 pm

Colbinii wrote:

Right. 3+D players in today's league do so much more than shoot the 3 and defend.
Not really. This is still very much the bulk of what they do. Some outgrow that role --- Mikal but mostly they defend and space. Sure they can do more. A few years ago Dallas had a ton of injuries and so Bullock had like a ten game stretch averging close to 20 points and provided some playmaker but when the bodies came back right back to why he was there, defend and space.

Sent from my SM-A136U using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#2040 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:58 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Not really. This is still very much the bulk of what they do. Some outgrow that role --- Mikal but mostly they defend and space. Sure they can do more. A few years ago Dallas had a ton of injuries and so Bullock had like a ten game stretch averging close to 20 points and provided some playmaker but when the bodies came back right back to why he was there, defend and space.

Sent from my SM-A136U using RealGM mobile app

I agree with everything here.

Older 3+D Player's couldn't necessarily replicate the depth of skill-set the players have. The current 3+D label includes many players who have a relatively diverse offensive skill-set. I'm talking far more than scoring--anyone in the NBA can score.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to Player Comparisons