(LOCK THREAD) The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Thread - 40K POINTS+(Part 1)(NO INSULTING)

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,085

Re: The LeBron James - 23-24 Preseason & Regular Season Thread - (Part 1) 

Post#41 » by rk2023 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:08 am

Very impressed with Reaves and Prince tonight. With more of a semblance of shooting and spacing on this team, I’m very excited to see Reaves tap into his connective passing and get more opportunities to drive into open lanes (very cerebral and crafty as a shot maker as is).
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,767

Post#42 » by nzahir » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:34 pm

thebigbird wrote:I like the pieces on this Lakers team. I don’t think it’s enough to win a title with LeBron being in his 21st season, but it should be a fun regular season to watch. After Westbrook utterly ruined the last two regular seasons I’m really excited for this one.

What move(s) do you think we need to make to really contend?

Assets to trade:
Christie
JHS
2029 1st
2026 and 2028 swaps
2nds
Salary filler (basically anyone but Lebron, AD, and Reaves. Can argue you shouldn't move Rui, but depends on the piece coming back)

Guards:
Caruso: Would give us great versatility. Something like JHS and Vincent for Caruso makes sense. Maybe Chi sends back a 2nd? Is he enough of a game changer though? Depth would still be crazy, but if we play a team targeting Dlo we can close with Caruso, Reaves, Bron, AD and 1 of Rui, Wood, Prince
Hield: Meh, he likely wold get targeted on D and not really a step up above Dlo and cant play alongside Dlo to close games,
GTJ: I do like him more than Hield since he can play better defense. Just unsure if he moves the needle enough. But it may not be realistic due to how top heavy a few teams are, luckily we have very good depth (in theory at least).
Harden: Likely not an option, but a wildcard idea. He is still an all star level player and if he is your 3rd or 4th best guy (depending how Reaves plays), you are in a great spot I think
Kyrie: Would require likely some fallout in Dalas or controversy, but I think he would be the best player we can get who is somewhat realistic. Offense would be scary and he can play some D when locked in
Lavine: Very unsure abot Lavine. Is his defense improved a bit and better than Dlo? Definitely a more explosive scorer. Contract is also large and would probably mean Dlo and Rui both go,

Wings:
OG: Every team would like a guy like OG, but do we have enough to offer? JHS (a 1st rounder), 2029 1st, 1-2 swaps, and a couple 2nds? Salary would be Vincent and Prince. If we want size vs Den we can go Reaves(on KCP?), OG (on Murray?), Rui (on Jokic), Bron (on MPJ), AD (on Gordon). Is this enough of a game changer?
Derozan: I feel like the fit would be an issue. Better fit than Westbrook since he has better iq and is a very good mid range shooter, but I feel like he would clog up the lane. Pass
Paul George: I will say this has like a 1% chance and we likely dont have enough. It would require Kawhi to be hurt again and the clips to blow it up and look to start over. PG then asks Ballmer to stay in LA and prefers the Lakers. Salary is tough and would likely need a 3rd team, but would be something like Dlo, Rui, Prince/Vincent, JHS, 1st, 2 swaps, 2nds for PG and a couple filler guys

Bigs:
Turner: Could fit alongside AD in specific matchups, but also likely not worth using assets for him. I feel like Wood will be solid for us.

Jrue would have been great if this was done earlier and could have done sign and trades or if it was at the deadline (Dlo, Rui, 1st, and a swap. JHS?/Dlo, Vincent, Vando, 1st, JHS, swap?)
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,841

Post#43 » by Homer38 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:40 pm

I hope the lakers will continue to shoot at a high volume and good % in 3 points....If they are just above average in both category,it will be huge for this team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,293

Post#44 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:03 pm

Homer38 wrote:I hope the lakers will continue to shoot at a high volume and good % in 3 points....If they are just above average in both category,it will be huge for this team.

They should, they have a good 3-point shooting team.

Brought in Prince, Christie, Vincent and Wood. These guys shoot better than the guys they replace last season.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,115

Post#45 » by LesGrossman » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:52 am

rk2023 wrote:Yeah.. it’s not like Magic Johnson and Steve Nash (the two best playmakers in league history) have made a name for high risk / D.O.D. , high reward passes :roll:

I'm a big fan of both, but purely from a vision/playmaking ability standpoint, i dont think prime Ricky Rubio and of course Jokic are below them.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,766

Post#46 » by homecourtloss » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:24 am

thebigbird wrote:JHS really sucks. Idk what Rob was thinking with that pick. He’s years away from being able to play rotation minutes.

He’s probably years away from being in China. Jk

zimpy27 wrote:
Homer38 wrote:I hope the lakers will continue to shoot at a high volume and good % in 3 points....If they are just above average in both category,it will be huge for this team.

They should, they have a good 3-point shooting team.

Brought in Prince, Christie, Vincent and Wood. These guys shoot better than the guys they replace last season.

The last couple of games looked a lot different than what they did last year and they were actively hunting threes. Anthony Davis looks like he may have regained his 3P shooting touch but who knows.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#47 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:42 am

nzahir wrote:
thebigbird wrote:I like the pieces on this Lakers team. I don’t think it’s enough to win a title with LeBron being in his 21st season, but it should be a fun regular season to watch. After Westbrook utterly ruined the last two regular seasons I’m really excited for this one.

Assets to trade:
Christie
JHS
2029 1st
2026 and 2028 swaps
2nds
Salary filler (basically anyone but Lebron, AD, and Reaves. Can argue you shouldn't move Rui, but depends on the piece coming back)

Guards:
Caruso: Would give us great versatility. Something like JHS and Vincent for Caruso makes sense. Maybe Chi sends back a 2nd? Is he enough of a game changer though? Depth would still be crazy, but if we play a team targeting Dlo we can close with Caruso, Reaves, Bron, AD and 1 of Rui, Wood, Prince
Hield: Meh, he likely wold get targeted on D and not really a step up above Dlo and cant play alongside Dlo to close games,
GTJ: I do like him more than Hield since he can play better defense. Just unsure if he moves the needle enough. But it may not be realistic due to how top heavy a few teams are, luckily we have very good depth (in theory at least).
Harden: Likely not an option, but a wildcard idea. He is still an all star level player and if he is your 3rd or 4th best guy (depending how Reaves plays), you are in a great spot I think
Kyrie: Would require likely some fallout in Dalas or controversy, but I think he would be the best player we can get who is somewhat realistic. Offense would be scary and he can play some D when locked in
Lavine: Very unsure abot Lavine. Is his defense improved a bit and better than Dlo? Definitely a more explosive scorer. Contract is also large and would probably mean Dlo and Rui both go,

Wings:
OG: Every team would like a guy like OG, but do we have enough to offer? JHS (a 1st rounder), 2029 1st, 1-2 swaps, and a couple 2nds? Salary would be Vincent and Prince. If we want size vs Den we can go Reaves(on KCP?), OG (on Murray?), Rui (on Jokic), Bron (on MPJ), AD (on Gordon). Is this enough of a game changer?
Derozan: I feel like the fit would be an issue. Better fit than Westbrook since he has better iq and is a very good mid range shooter, but I feel like he would clog up the lane. Pass
Paul George: I will say this has like a 1% chance and we likely dont have enough. It would require Kawhi to be hurt again and the clips to blow it up and look to start over. PG then asks Ballmer to stay in LA and prefers the Lakers. Salary is tough and would likely need a 3rd team, but would be something like Dlo, Rui, Prince/Vincent, JHS, 1st, 2 swaps, 2nds for PG and a couple filler guys

Bigs:
Turner: Could fit alongside AD in specific matchups, but also likely not worth using assets for him. I feel like Wood will be solid for us.

Jrue would have been great if this was done earlier and could have done sign and trades or if it was at the deadline (Dlo, Rui, 1st, and a swap. JHS?/Dlo, Vincent, Vando, 1st, JHS, swap?)

We are absolutely contenders rn, a lot of these are pipe dreams

We just have to stay healthy lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,192

Post#48 » by donnieme » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am

It's just so hard to get behind anyone who still spams drop coverage in 2023. The math behind that coverage went obsolete since the 10s. The biggest distinction of the modern era is the explosion of efficient pull up shooting skill, especially off of picks. Literally the current Nba meta.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,293

Post#49 » by zimpy27 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:39 am

Lakers getting Caruso back would make them favourites in my book
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 387

Post#50 » by Ian Scuffling » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:10 pm

It really is crazy, reading stories about the Lakers. It's as if the media doesn't realize that Lebron is in year 21. Year 21. They still talk of him as if he's in his prime, which is ridiculous when you think about it. For me, it's the reason that if he's not the GOAT, he certainly is on that Mount Rushmore of NBA players. Year 21 and he's still at the very, very least the second best/most important player on a contending team. Just nuts.
itsxtray
Senior
And1: 444

Post#51 » by itsxtray » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:36 pm

donnieme wrote:It's just so hard to get behind anyone who still spams drop coverage in 2023. The math behind that coverage went obsolete since the 10s. The biggest distinction of the modern era is the explosion of efficient pull up shooting skill, especially off of picks. Literally the current Nba meta.

The Celtics & Lakers have used drop to great effect against the team with the greatest drop killer (Steph) granted it's a "High Drop" now but the alternative of trapping and letting Draymond go 4v3 is even worse. The rockets stalled them with a switching scheme but you gotta have the right personnel for that.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#52 » by nzahir » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:16 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Assets to trade:
Christie
JHS
2029 1st
2026 and 2028 swaps
2nds

Guards:

Wings:

Bigs:

I think we are contenders, but what odds do we have vs a healthy Boston, Bucks, or Den?

I want to get on a more even level playing field

Our biggest stength as of now is the depth, but come playoff team we are lacking a bit in higher end talent vs these teams

The option is to either upgrade from DLO or to grab a defensive guard or wing (who is versatile) to strengthen the defense and give us more versatility

I think most options are realistic if we want them besides PG and maybe OG. Lavine is getable due to his horrible contract
nzahir
RealGM

Post#53 » by nzahir » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:28 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Lakers getting Caruso back would make them favourites in my book

Would he?

Not a great 3 point shooter and AD and Bron aren't the same on offense as a few years ago when we won it all

Closing 5 of Caruso, Reaves, Bron, AD and between either Rui, Prince, or Dlo?

Is that enough to go up against these guys:

White, Jrue, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis/Horford. We aren't the faves

Dame, Pat, Middleton, Giannis, Brook. We aren't the faves

Murray, Pope, MPJ, Gordon, Jokic. We just saw we didn't do it, but it was close and our improved depth and their weakened depth could help swing this. But I still feel like we aren't favored.

Booker, Beal, Okogie/Diop/Gordon/Allen, KD, Nurkic/Eubanks?. Honestly probably, also we have better depth

Clippers would be here if healthy I think, but who knows how Kawhi will be..

If I could pick any non star to get it would probably be OG. Unsure if this package is enough, but we could offer

Vando, JHS, 2029 1st, 2 swaps, and a couple 2nds
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,598

Post#54 » by The High Cyde » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:42 pm

Speaking of passes, anyone have that ridiculous pass he did in preseason a couple years ago? Or was it three or four lmao where he was under the basket and threw it over the shoulder or something to the corner for a three.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#55 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:45 pm

nzahir wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
nzahir wrote:What move(s) do you think we need to make to really contend?

Assets to trade:
Christie
JHS
2029 1st
2026 and 2028 swaps
2nds

Guards:

Wings:

Bigs:

I think we are contenders, but what odds do we have vs a healthy Boston, Bucks, or Den?

I want to get on a more even level playing field

Our biggest stength as of now is the depth, but come playoff team we are lacking a bit in higher end talent vs these teams

The option is to either upgrade from DLO or to grab a defensive guard or wing (who is versatile) to strengthen the defense and give us more versatility

I think most options are realistic if we want them besides PG and maybe OG. Lavine is getable due to his horrible contract

If we are healthy, we are somewhat even if bron and AD are healthy and playing up to their standard

They haven’t been healthy since 2020.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#56 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:46 pm

donnieme wrote:It's just so hard to get behind anyone who still spams drop coverage in 2023. The math behind that coverage went obsolete since the 10s. The biggest distinction of the modern era is the explosion of efficient pull up shooting skill, especially off of picks. Literally the current Nba meta.

I’m pretty sure the best defensive teams in the nba are predominantly in drop coverage lol, just depends on who you have though

Not saying we should be a drop team

You need to be versatile vs some matchups for sure

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,502

Post#57 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
rk2023 wrote:Yeah.. it’s not like Magic Johnson and Steve Nash (the two best playmakers in league history) have made a name for high risk / D.O.D. , high reward passes :roll:

I'm a big fan of both, but purely from a vision/playmaking ability standpoint, i dont think prime Ricky Rubio and of course Jokic are below them.

Look who it is. Must mean the season's right around the corner
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,544

Post#58 » by Greatness » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:42 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Speaking of passes, anyone have that ridiculous pass he did in preseason a couple years ago? Or was it three or four lmao where he was under the basket and threw it over the shoulder or something to the corner for a three.

The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,598

Post#59 » by The High Cyde » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:06 pm

Greatness wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Speaking of passes, anyone have that ridiculous pass he did in preseason a couple years ago? Or was it three or four lmao where he was under the basket and threw it over the shoulder or something to the corner for a three.

Pass is just insanity
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,256

Post#60 » by ardee » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:49 am

The key to winning the title will be if you can have LeBron in his pre-injury form and Davis in his Playoff form from '22-'23 come the '24 Playoffs.

It's hard to say if that will be the case but I do believe that the team has the depth to have a shot at making that happen.

As it stands I believe if you get that version of the two guys plus an improvement from Reaves they can absolutely win the title.

Return to Player Comparisons