Stephen Curry(Clutch Player of the Year). Chris Paul, Dray, & Klay - 23-24 NBA Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ShaqAttac
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Re: Stephen Curry, Chris Paul, Dray & Klay 23-24 Preseason & Regular Season Thread 

Post#21 » by ShaqAttac » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:31 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Anti-portability nation riding with the Warriors now we have the mandate of heaven :lol:

if steph dont win the west we takin all his port points
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,251

Re: Stephen Curry, Chris Paul, Dray & Klay 23-24 Preseason & Regular Season Thread 

Post#22 » by Outside » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:37 pm

rk2023 wrote:I think this goes to show how portability being used as a talking point against Chris Paul (especially in a modern era sense), when he's fared well and found way to establish value and build chemistry with all sorts of teammates.

Though the notion of Chris Paul being traded to Golden State was funny in real time (perhaps due to the animosity between the two teams), the fit wasn't really too much of a doubt, the fit wasn't ever too much a concern for me.

There were several concerns with adding Chris Paul.

-- Initial fit. To work, this requires the core to accept CP from a personality and playing style standpoint, plus CP to be willing to defer to the established core personality-wise and fit his game into the GS playing style. This also includes CP accepting a bench role. This looks like it's all sunshine and rainbows at the start.

-- Fit over time. CP tends to be a bossy, in-your-face know-it-all, which grates on others over time. We'll see if he can keep his worse tendencies in check. In his recent stints, the honeymoon has lasted through the first season. We'll see how this plays out. GS has such a strong established culture with a mix of leadership styles that they may have better success keeping this from being a problem. Draymond is the in-your-face emotional leader who won't be shy about telling CP to shut up and get with the program, but he can also be the emotional glue that sucks you into the culture by putting his arm around you and explaining how it works here or engaging teammates in fun stuff. Curry is the foundation of the team, an all-time great playing great, and is really good at addressing issues in a low-key way that is an excellent counter to Draymond's style. Kerr is really good at dealing with this stuff, and he and his staff are a powerful and established force. Vets like Klay and Looney know who they are. This is not like OKC where CP is the leader/coach on the floor, or like Phoenix where he needed to be the lead guy to show everyone how to win. With GS, CP needs to accept his role and not overstep his bounds. I'm expecting this to be an issue at some point, but odds are good that GS has the leadership to keep it from becoming a major problem, as long as CP accepts his role.

-- Can CP hold up through an 82-game season and multiple playoff rounds? The reduced role will help. I expect Kerr to schedule games off. Target maybe 1500 total minutes for the RS. This is the first time in a long time that he won't have to play heavy minutes.

-- Defense. On the negative side, CP's on-ball defense has declined precipitously in recent years, and having another small guard with Curry is not ideal, to say the least. On the plus side, he's really smart and plays team defense well, he'll be playing many (most?) of his minutes in non-Curry bench lineups, and despite his decline, he's still a defensive upgrade from Jordan Poole.

He can add a lot. GS's biggest struggle in recent seasons has been surviving minutes when Curry sits, which has been an unmitigated disaster. The bench lineup with CP, Saric, Moody (I love me some Moody), Kuminga, plus a starter could be really good. Making non-Curry lineups a net positive would be huge for the team's success and can unleash Curry to be his joyful, soul-crushing self.

I'm cautiously hopeful for this season. It's early, but damn they look good. In the Phoenix game, if they'd just made a few of the dozens of bunnies that they missed in the first half, they would have won that one, too.
Raonak
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#23 » by Raonak » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:23 pm

The way that the warriors are playing right now looks substantially better than last season.
They have that 3rd quarter warriors magic back again. It's wild.
The ceiling of this team might actually be higher than the 2022 season.

Curry + Good Team = Great Success.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,613

Post#24 » by parsnips33 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:01 pm

They still have things they can clean up on, and CP3 has only hit a single 3 all season, but there's a lot to be encouraged by so far
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,032

Post#25 » by rk2023 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:57 am

Aside from defensive anchor big men, I don't think there's anybody who could be a + value player with down the drain scoring impact other than CP3. What a game from Golden State. That Stephen Curry guy is pretty good at basketball too.

https://x.com/JerryEngelmann/status/1720635993446088975?s=20
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#26 » by Bobbcats » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:05 am

CP3 is just good luck. Standing around the court with the bench or the starters accumulating +/-.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Post#27 » by cpower » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:31 pm

if Steph keeps this up...watch out.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#28 » by parsnips33 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:22 pm

Warriors didn't get their 4th road win until mid January last season lol
Raonak
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#29 » by Raonak » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:30 pm

5 in a row is very impressive this early in the season.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#30 » by parsnips33 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:06 pm

Steph isoing Dort and finishing over Chet for the game. Too nasty
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,206

Post#31 » by TroubleS0me » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:31 am

Concerned about CP3's efficiency..its early tho
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#32 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:24 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:Concerned about CP3's efficiency..its early tho

Would like to see him pair more with TJD to get him the runway he needs to get his shots off. Paul doesn't have the burst necessary to create many easy looks for himself anymore in 1v1 situations. That can be ok if you make the necessary adjustments to free him up, but last night's game was a little concerning to see how impotent the Warriors' bench offense can be when Paul provides 0 off-the-dribble threat. In a few moments, it recalled the worst moments of the Chris Chiozza and Brad Wanamaker and Nico Mannion experiences -- risk-free PG's who are impotent enough to tank the Warriors' offense and create oodles of turnovers/late-clock bailout shots because of their own fecklessness with the ball in their hands.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#33 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Nov 7, 2023 2:02 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
TroubleS0me wrote:Concerned about CP3's efficiency..its early tho

Would like to see him pair more with TJD to get him the runway he needs to get his shots off. Paul doesn't have the burst necessary to create many easy looks for himself anymore in 1v1 situations. That can be ok if you make the necessary adjustments to free him up, but last night's game was a little concerning to see how impotent the Warriors' bench offense can be when Paul provides 0 off-the-dribble threat. In a few moments, it recalled the worst moments of the Chris Chiozza and Brad Wanamaker and Nico Mannion experiences -- risk-free PG's who are impotent enough to tank the Warriors' offense and create oodles of turnovers/late-clock bailout shots because of their own fecklessness with the ball in their hands.

Read on Twitter
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#34 » by parsnips33 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 10:50 pm

If Wiggins gets back to where he's supposed to be, this team has a very high ceiling.

I imagine Klay will find his scoring a bit more, we definitely need a robust 2nd option next to Steph
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#35 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 8, 2023 12:33 am

parsnips33 wrote:If Wiggins gets back to where he's supposed to be, this team has a very high ceiling.

I imagine you're speaking more of defense, yes? And shooting the 3 as he has the past 3 seasons.

For starters, he needs to shoot more from the corners; he is taking too many above-break 3s right now.
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#36 » by parsnips33 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 12:46 am

tsherkin wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:If Wiggins gets back to where he's supposed to be, this team has a very high ceiling.

I imagine you're speaking more of defense, yes? And shooting the 3 as he has the past 3 seasons.

For starters, he needs to shoot more from the corners; he is taking too many above-break 3s right now.

Yeah the shot is the biggest killer right now - really hard to run a lineup with 3 non-shooters in Looney Draymond and Wiggins. Last year those 3 with Steph and Klay were one of the best 5 man units in the league.

He's flashed some really focused and aggressive rebounding in quarters here and there, but the energy there hasn't been very consistent either
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#37 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:56 am

parsnips33 wrote:Yeah the shot is the biggest killer right now - really hard to run a lineup with 3 non-shooters in Looney Draymond and Wiggins. Last year those 3 with Steph and Klay were one of the best 5 man units in the league.

He's flashed some really focused and aggressive rebounding in quarters here and there, but the energy there hasn't been very consistent either

It's Wiggins. *shrug* It's what he does. It'll come around.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#38 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:48 am

;ab_channel=HouseofHighlights
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#39 » by AdagioPace » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:36 am

Really hard to gauge this teams potential at the moment given Klay' non existent shooting and Dray's glorious path towards self annihilation and damnatio memoriae.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#40 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Player Comparisons