The fit between the two is still questionable
How far can they go?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Re: Luka Doncic & Kyrie Irving 23-24 Preseason & Regular Season Thread 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Sat Oct 7, 2023 1:43 am

They played what, 20 games together? And not even 20 games, given individual games missed? Now they've had an actual training camp and might have a full season together. Should be a little better for evaluating fit.

What Dallas needs, though, is defense. They were trash-garbage last year on that end of the floor, so despite posting the 6th-best O in the league, they floundered. And if they weren't the worst offensive rebounding team in the league, that would also help. But yeah, Luka and Kyrie should produce some pretty good offensive results.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,965

Post#3 » by CobraCommander » Sat Oct 7, 2023 4:19 am

Conf finals if all breaks their way-

Why not- a top 75 player in Kyrie and a young gun in Luka.

If this team was Lebron and Kyrie when Lebron was Luka’s age or even KD- we would expect a lot. If Luka that Guy- why not expect this from him and Kyrie.?
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,501

Post#4 » by Pelly24 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:33 am

CobraCommander wrote:Conf finals if all breaks their way-

If this team was Lebron and Kyrie when Lebron was Luka’s age or even KD- we would expect a lot. If Luka that Guy- why not expect this from him and Kyrie.?

Those Cavs teams seem much better constructed than this Maps team TBH. Kevin Love, even though he seemed obsolete in some ways, was a third option that could get 17/10/3 on +1 or + 2 TS% while spacing the floor. Clearly he'd be better than literally everyone else on the current Mavs by a wide margin. The Mavs don't have a legit third option scorer, and I'm not even sure they have a good fourth option scorer unless Josh Green or Hardy take a big leap. Then even with Grant Williams, Idk about their defense. LeBron was an elite defender/gap filler in a way that Luka can never be, and they still had decent wing defenders and size outside of him (that's why in 2015 they could convert to being a great defensive team).

The Mavs need to make more moves, as is I see them winning no more than 44 games.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#5 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:59 am

Pelly24 wrote:

Those Cavs teams seem much better constructed than this Maps team TBH. Kevin Love, even though he seemed obsolete in some ways, was a third option that could get 17/10/3 on +1 or + 2 TS% while spacing the floor. Clearly he'd be better than literally everyone else on the current Mavs by a wide margin. The Mavs don't have a legit third option scorer, and I'm not even sure they have a good fourth option scorer unless Josh Green or Hardy take a big leap. Then even with Grant Williams, Idk about their defense. LeBron was an elite defender/gap filler in a way that Luka can never be, and they still had decent wing defenders and size outside of him (that's why in 2015 they could convert to being a great defensive team).

The Mavs need to make more moves, as is I see them winning no more than 44 games.

No man- those cavs had Lebron - Lebron made the pieces work. I expect Luka to do the same. Even Kyrie and KD minus Harden or Ben expected to make noise.

This will be year 6.

It’s about time for Luka (and honestly more than Luka- the Mavs)to go from “potential” to “threat”

This is that year- or Luka needs to get out.

I say that because at some point the team is making progress or it isn’t. I see them making big noise this year -

But if they don’t - why waste much more time with the Mavs when you see teams like the Bucks, Suns and Boston improving upon better teams than the Mavs.

The lakers got better this offseason - did the Mavs or are they running it back with better continuity?
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Pelly24 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 12:21 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:

No man- those cavs had Lebron - Lebron made the pieces work. I expect Luka to do the same. Even Kyrie and KD minus Harden or Ben expected to make noise.

This will be year 6.

It’s about time for Luka (and honestly more than Luka- the Mavs)to go from “potential” to “threat”

I say that because at some point the team is making progress or it isn’t. I see them making big noise this year -

But if they don’t - why waste much more time with the Mavs when you see teams like the Bucks, Suns and Boston improving upon better teams than the Mavs.

The lakers got better this offseason - did the Mavs or are they running it back with better continuity?

We'll see. I think it would've been great if they could've gotten Jrue Holiday. I think they need some physical, above the rim guys.

But if Luka has a career season and Kyrie does what he did last year, they could beat a lot of teams and surprise people. the west is brutal though
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#7 » by Homer38 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 12:31 pm

I think it will work on offense but their defense are going always be their issues.Their offensive rebounding was also brutal last season
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,755

Post#8 » by eminence » Sun Oct 8, 2023 1:07 pm

I'm a little bit with Cobra here. If Luka wants to be an all-timer, this isn't a squad that can miss the playoffs again. I don't think they need to contend for a title or anything with this cast, but it needs to be a playoff team. Luka just hasn't shown as much growth through his first 5 seasons as I'd hoped when he entered the league.
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#9 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Oct 8, 2023 7:34 pm

Their offense is unstoppable too bad their defense can’t get stops lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#10 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:40 pm

Pelly24 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:

This will be year 6.

We'll see. I think it would've been great if they could've gotten Jrue Holiday. I think they need some physical, above the rim guys.

But if Luka has a career season and Kyrie does what he did last year, they could beat a lot of teams and surprise people. the west is brutal though

When you THAT guy, your conf tough cause YOU there.

It’s year 6 it’s time for Luka to start actually being the best player on earth - with that comes dominating the west -

We say AI and Harden truly dominate but never learn how to lead a team to real wins - I think Luka can be different - let’s go- honestly I lost money on Dallas and Luka last year and F- IT, im betting in Luka again while the odds stacked against him
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#11 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:46 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:No man- those cavs had Lebron - Lebron made the pieces work. I expect Luka to do the same. Even Kyrie and KD minus Harden or Ben expected to make noise.

This will be year 6.

When you THAT guy, your conf tough cause YOU there.

It’s year 6 it’s time for Luka to start actually being the best player on earth - with that comes dominating the west -

We say AI and Harden truly dominate but never learn how to lead a team to real wins - I think Luka can be different - let’s go- honestly I lost money on Dallas and Luka last year and F- IT, im betting in Luka again while the odds stacked against him

They aren’t doing anything with that defense lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,245

Post#12 » by SNPA » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:23 pm

It’s all about the over under on Kyrie doing Kyrie things. He could have a great year and the Mavs be solid, he could take 3 months off to run as RFK Jr’s VP. We just don’t know. Neither does he.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Pelly24 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 11:53 am

I'll say this — if Luka is truly better than let's say, 2005-2007 LeBron, this Mavs team should win 50 games.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,850

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:23 pm

eminence wrote: Luka just hasn't shown as much growth through his first 5 seasons as I'd hoped when he entered the league.

yeah he came into the league way better than I think even us biggest optimists thought he would. Then he took an absolutely massive jump in year 2. The Lebron comparisons were silly, but you could at least understand because he was so good so fast so young. But since? Not a ton of further growth.

He's been a playoff monster, but its time to take better care of the body, its time to stop ref-baiting, its time to start taking defense seriously more regularly, etc.... Kyrie's presence should ease the absurd load allowing for some growth but ultimately its on him. He says the right things, but then nothing really changes.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
itsxtray
Junior
And1: 428

Post#15 » by itsxtray » Mon Oct 9, 2023 6:33 pm

That year 6 age 24 season is When Lebron & Giannis became legit Mvp caliber players from an impact perspective. Hopefully Luka follows suit even if he doesn't win the award. He either needs to get more efficient on offense. (3's, ftrs,) cut the turnovers even more, or become a much better defender. Preferably all of them.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#16 » by Special_Puppy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:02 am

I imagine they are roughly the 6th seed this year. Kyrie is becoming kinda underrated because of all the off the court drama but it’s a legit top 20 player in the league when he plays
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#17 » by Special_Puppy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:06 am

itsxtray wrote:That year 6 age 24 season is When Lebron & Giannis became legit Mvp caliber players from an impact perspective. Hopefully Luka follows suit even if he doesn't win the award. He either needs to get more efficient on offense. (3's, ftrs,) cut the turnovers even more, or become a much better defender. Preferably all of them.

I think it’s going to be really hard for Luka to reach “best player in the world” status if he doesn’t improve his defense. He’d literally need to be by far the best offensive player of all time to compensate for his subpar defense
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#18 » by tsherkin » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:13 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
itsxtray wrote:That year 6 age 24 season is When Lebron & Giannis became legit Mvp caliber players from an impact perspective. Hopefully Luka follows suit even if he doesn't win the award. He either needs to get more efficient on offense. (3's, ftrs,) cut the turnovers even more, or become a much better defender. Preferably all of them.

I think it’s going to be really hard for Luka to reach “best player in the world” status if he doesn’t improve his defense. He’d literally need to be by far the best offensive player of all time to compensate for his subpar defense

I don't think he needs to be a much better defender, just a better scorer. He's "only" a 105 TS+ guy (and that's his peak to date) as of 2023, and that's not really enough to put the highest-end offensive pressure on a D in this era.
itsxtray
Junior
And1: 428

Post#19 » by itsxtray » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:45 am

Special_Puppy wrote:

Best player in the world probably but not mvp caliber impact wise, he could be a slight negative or neutral and reach that mark
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,208

Re: Luka Doncic & Kyrie Irving 23-24 Regular Season Thread 

Post#20 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:29 pm

1st win of the season vs Victor

Return to Player Comparisons