Luka Doncic ('24 NBA Scoring Leader) & Kyrie Irving - 23-24 NBA Thread

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Re: Luka Doncic & Kyrie Irving 23-24 Regular Season Thread 

Post#41 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Nights like this make me wonder why some of you are so determined to hate a guy that is pure basketball joy.

Who cares if he's not LEbron freaking James. You know who else isn't? Literally every other person who ever walked the planet. What a silly standard.

I didn’t watch the game but that game winner was hilarious this man is so filthy lmfao

I can’t believe u guys got him and Kyrie on the same team must be so fun to watch
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,777

Post#42 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:36 am

Heej wrote:Rewatching the latest Mavs game. Hope to be more active in here as far as breaking down what I see from Xs and Os cuz Luka's my 2nd guy. But gotta say, wtf did not expect Dante Exum to still be hanging around. Was he with y'all last year?

Btw I wanted Lively to fall to the Lakers but knew he wouldn't. Y'all got a good one. That's your franchise center, imo barring injury he easily projects to being a closing caliber Finals level center when he reaches his prime; let alone being a legitimate game changer because I think he has a 50/50 shot at turning into a capable outside shooter at the center position.

Kid also has good deceleration and fluidity for his size. Hell, I'd venture to say it's actually great right now but the unicorn generation is coming so he may actually be the baseline of what the new modern center is supposed to be in terms of agility and nimbleness. Think he sticks tho, and he's very prototypical as far as what you want for the new age elite role player caliber center. However he needs to bulk up in these early years to not cap his ceiling.

Exum just came back to the league this year. He played in Spain and Serbia the past 2 years.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#43 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:27 am

So he’s on some bull this year lmfao
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#44 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:48 am

I really fail to see how Kyrie makes this team better compared to available alternatives.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,323

Post#45 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:36 am

Read on Twitter
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,503

Post#46 » by Yuri36 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:51 am

They're probably not the best fit but I still would be very curious to see how that combo would do in POs, especially down the stretch.
If games are close, I can guarantee you opposite teams wouldn't be very confident having so many clutch ability to face
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,264

Post#47 » by McBubbles » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 am

Peregrine01 wrote:I really fail to see how Kyrie makes this team better compared to available alternatives.

What are these alternatives?
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,127

Post#48 » by Colbinii » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:07 pm

McBubbles wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:I really fail to see how Kyrie makes this team better compared to available alternatives.

Jokic, Giannis, Curry
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#49 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:39 pm

McBubbles wrote:

Like the guys he got traded for. Mavs need 3 and D guys more than they need another ball-dominant iso-heavy guard.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,375

Post#50 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:29 pm

What star players were legit available for what Dallas paid for Kyrie?

I agree he's not ideal, but we can't ignore price and what assets Dallas had available which wasn't much.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#51 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:30 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
McBubbles wrote:

Like the guys he got traded for. Mavs need 3 and D guys more than they need another ball-dominant iso-heavy guard.

Sorry should have kept reading lol.

Oh they miss DFS. But suggesting they are better off with Dinwiddie isn't a serious thing and they replaced DFS with Williams.

There is no argument that Dallas is better with DFS/Dinwiddie than Williams/Kyrie.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#52 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
McBubbles wrote:

Jokic, Giannis, Curry

I mean let's just get 04 KG while we are getting stuff we can't. Or 03 Duncan. I'm not picky
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,451

Post#53 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote: --

What do you think of lively so far? Was happy to see Tyson back with the mavs working with him.
Texas Chuck

Post#54 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:42 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote: --

What do you think of lively so far? Was happy to see Tyson back with the mavs working with him.

He was really good in game 1, okay in game 2, looked like a lost rookie last night. So better than expected early, but I expect more struggles.

Tyson is the perfect big man coach for him though. Sure wish Dallas had another veteran center. Powell and Kleber give you everything they have but....
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 555

Re: Luka Doncic & Kyrie Irving 23-24 Preseason & Regular Season Thread 

Post#55 » by BmanInBigD » Wed Nov 1, 2023 5:06 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
McBubbles wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Man YOUNG pre-Miami Lebron has much much worse teams than Luka - KP, Dinwiddie, Brunson, etc are all better than people young Lebron had- And LBJ went to finals

Luka is just not as good as young Lebron - period- it’s been 5 years and honestly people know this already and it’s not a slight on Luka - Lebron is the 1st or second best player ever.

Luka is great and let’s see what he can do this year. But he hasn’t been much of a leader for the first 5 years of his career. It’s more than playing basketball at the elite levels - it’s leadership and he isn’t the leader Lebron is either. Maybe this year he will lead on and off the court better and they get to the conf finals like I predict.

Again Luka one of the top 6 guys in league to me- he just has to do it on the court- and I’m not talking about getting stats - at this point the only thing that matters is winning for a guy of his caliber- Same with all the top guys- we don’t care if avg a triple double - Westbrook already did that - we don’t care if you lead the league in points - harden has done that - and we don’t care if you lead the league in assist- harden has done that too- Luka is good enough to be Jugded by his rings -

Stop bringing up Lebron what the **** :lol: ? Lebron has nothing to do with this, jeez. You said his name 6 times, why'd you keep on bringing him up?

Superstars don't win championships without championship level supporting casts, and Luka currently doesn't have one. End of story. Consequently, I'm not going to be disappointed if the person I didn't expect to win a championship didn't win a championship.

lol. No one does - that’s true-

I still think Luka goes to conf finals this year and is still in the same grouping with everyone else after Giannis Embiid and Of course jokic-

The nba is stacked

So what has Embiid accomplished that Luka hasn't to be above him? Besides getting bounced every year in the first or second round after usually playing significantly worse in the PS...
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,214

Post#56 » by CobraCommander » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:28 pm

BmanInBigD wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
McBubbles wrote:
Stop bringing up Lebron what the **** :lol: ? Lebron has nothing to do with this, jeez. You said his name 6 times, why'd you keep on bringing him up?

Superstars don't win championships without championship level supporting casts, and Luka currently doesn't have one. End of story. Consequently, I'm not going to be disappointed if the person I didn't expect to win a championship didn't win a championship.

lol. No one does - that’s true-

I still think Luka goes to conf finals this year and is still in the same grouping with everyone else after Giannis Embiid and Of course jokic-

The nba is stacked

So what has Embiid accomplished that Luka hasn't to be above him? Besides getting bounced every year in the first or second round after usually playing significantly worse in the PS...

Embiid actually won the MVP, scoring title and made the playoffs last year. So Actually yes Embiid is above Luka everywhere on earth but on Reddit and REALGM. Luka just last year was behind SGA and didn’t get a single first second mvp vote and Embiid won the damn MVP.

In my opinion, I think Luka is at least as good or nearly as good as Embiid...and obviously Luka is more dominate in the playoffs..but Embiid has accomplished more because the MVP is a pretty big deal. Apart from being the best player on a championship team, the mvp is the biggest accomplishment in the NBA. The mvp is theoretically more important accomplishment than being the second or 3rd best player on a championship team. Example no one sees Murray, Holiday as being as accomplished as Embiid even though they have rings as the second best player on a championship team.

I think Luka CAN be better than Embiid but objectively he hasn’t done more in the league. Remember Luka got bounced in the first round a lot too
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 555

Post#57 » by BmanInBigD » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:35 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
BmanInBigD wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:lol. No one does - that’s true-

The nba is stacked

Embiid actually won the MVP, scoring title and made the playoffs last year. So Actually yes Embiid is above Luka everywhere on earth but on Reddit and REALGM. Luka just last year was behind SGA and didn’t get a single first second mvp vote and Embiid won the damn MVP.

In my opinion, I think Luka is at least as good or nearly as good as Embiid...and obviously Luka is more dominate in the playoffs..but Embiid has accomplished more because the MVP is a pretty big deal. Apart from being the best player on a championship team, the mvp is the biggest accomplishment in the NBA. The mvp is theoretically more important accomplishment than being the second or 3rd best player on a championship team. Example no one sees Murray, Holiday as being as accomplished as Embiid even though they have rings as the second best player on a championship team.

I think Luka CAN be better than Embiid but objectively he hasn’t done more in the league. Remember Luka got bounced in the first round a lot too

I guess I disagree because I look at something that is highly subjective like MVP as more of an award than an accomplishment. MVP's and hell, even Titles are situation-driven, so judging a player by these criteria only vs how they play and contribute to winning is a little simplistic to me. But that's the way it goes I guess. Some will rank players by how good they are and some will rank by "accomplishments". To each their own.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,214

Post#58 » by CobraCommander » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:43 pm

BmanInBigD wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
BmanInBigD wrote:So what has Embiid accomplished that Luka hasn't to be above him? Besides getting bounced every year in the first or second round after usually playing significantly worse in the PS...

I guess I disagree because I look at something that is highly subjective like MVP as more of an award than an accomplishment. MVP's and hell, even Titles are situation-driven, so judging a player by these criteria only vs how they play and contribute to winning is a little simplistic to me. But that's the way it goes I guess. Some will rank players by how good they are and some will rank by "accomplishments". To each their own.

So how do you judge how good someone is historically without looking at accomplishments relative to their real time peers? If it’s not championships or awards then we would have someone like Barkley in the top 10. Barkley could do it all..but never got a ring thus he isn’t up there...same with the criminal Karl Malone... and others less notorious.

If Luka never wins a ring or a MVP (both could happen this year) he won’t be in the top 30...same way Harden isnt
clearlynotjesse
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#59 » by clearlynotjesse » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:46 am

Luka's jumper looks really good now. More balanced and way quicker release than I remember.
09 bron/10 nash
13 pg
14 kawhi/12 iggy
08 kg/11 dirk
07 duncan
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,323

Post#60 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Player Comparisons