Nikola Jokic - 23-24 NBA Thread - '24 NBA MVP & 23 Finals NBA MVP

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Re: Nikola Jokic - 23-24 NBA Thread - 23 Finals NBA MVP 

Post#241 » by ShotCreator » Tue May 7, 2024 3:59 am

ShotCreator wrote:The Nuggets just look worse in too many areas compared to Minnesota. It's unmistakable. It reminds me of LAL v. DEN last year. Close games but an unmistakable gap in two-way play between the teams.

I think this year might be Minnesota's moment. They seem way, way better than a +6 team. I think they can have an 01 Lakers kind of run where the defense is inhuman and they get hot from the outside and blow everybody away.

I think they can humiliate Denver and sweep them based on what I've seen. But it would take Edwards staying pretty unconscious from the field. And I don't think he's quite this good.

Maybe adjustments can sway things but the talent gap is clear IMO. Outside of Jokic of course, but again at this level of play Edwards is an elite player himself. Along with Rudy.

Yeah you could feel it. Minnesota feels more like a +12 team right now. It’s insane. They’re humiliating them without Gobert. And Gobert has been +23 per 100 on the court these playoffs.
Swinging for the fences.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,396

Post#242 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:09 am

Denver becomes very mortal when Murray isn't pulling his weight. I don't think this is really on Jokic though he needs to do more. It's just not in his usual playstyle to go for 40+ in playoff games. If Murray starts slow in game 3 Jokic absolutely has to pick up the slack and shoot it 25-30+ times though. That said I am not counting Den out yet. The pressure could still get to Minny later on.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#243 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:09 am

Jokic is 1-3 (soon to be 1-4?) against teams with an SRS of 5.0 or higher. His only win came in the bubble against the Clippers.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,396

Post#244 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:20 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Jokic is 1-3 (soon to be 1-4?) against teams with an SRS of 5.0 or higher. His only win came in the bubble against the Clippers.

These types of arbitrary playoff record things people bring up are pretty meaningless imo. Jokic has only played on one team with an srs above 5 himself(this year's team). Even if Denver loses to Minn they still have 3-4 years to retool and win more. Maybe even longer.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,377

Post#245 » by TroubleS0me » Tue May 7, 2024 4:20 am

rk2023 wrote:I'm still a Jokic believer and fan, but would the few PC Board posters calling him a tangible candidate for the GOAT basketball season across all of NBA History like to defend *this* game and effort so far in the series?

FTR.. Nuggets still have a shot to win imo, and I won't count them out until 4 wins are hung on them

Game 3 will tell us everything
Nuggets Big 3 struggled in this one game 2.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,044

Post#246 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 4:23 am

Worst defender in nba mvp history
And worst defender in nba superstar history.

Idc what your looney advanced stats say. Garbage. Dude would’ve been cooked in 90s and 2000s
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,518

Post#247 » by Ambrose » Tue May 7, 2024 4:26 am

Rough series. For the first time since I've watched him he looks uncomfortable.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 4:35 am

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

How come yall never post these stats?
tlee324 wrote:

GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Post#249 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 4:45 am

bigboi wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Hes also never played w/ an All star or All Nba player............Murray overperforming in playoffs was never gonna last forever and hes never sniffed an All star game for a reason. Hes been a disaster all playoffs aside from 3 quarters against La. When ur 2nd option isnt a real star its hard to beat 50 win teams unless youre Bron :wink:
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#250 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 4:50 am

GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Hes also never played w/ an All star or All Nba player

Murray outplayed Jokic the first time they went deep in the playoffs and played easy all-nba the second time.

Jokic has done basically nothing without all-nba level performer Murray
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 4:56 am

GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Hes also never played w/ an All star or All Nba player............Murray overperforming in playoffs was never gonna last forever and hes never sniffed an All star game for a reason. Hes been a disaster all playoffs aside from 3 quarters against La. When ur 2nd option isnt a real star its hard to beat 50 win teams unless youre Bron :wink:

Sounds like excuses to me. All I heard was Jokic is better than prime bron, on Jordan level blah blah blah. You forgetting that Curry won a chip with Wiggins averaging worse stats than Murray so that all star excuse is nonsense. Jokic doesn’t even look like the best player on the court, has folks on his floor calling Ant mvp. Crazy
tlee324 wrote:

GSP
RealGM

Post#252 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 4:59 am

bigboi wrote:
GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Sounds like excuses to me. All I heard was Jokic is better than prime bron, on Jordan level blah blah blah. You forgetting that Curry won a chip with Wiggins averaging worse stats than Murray so that all star excuse is nonsense. Jokic doesn’t even look like the best player on the court, has folks on his floor calling Ant mvp. Crazy

Steph had one of the deepest rosters in the league and he was outplayed by Jokic missing Murray, Mpj and Kcp in their series too

Anyone who thought Jokic was on Bron or Mj level is deluded and most likely a teenager :lol:
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#253 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 5:06 am

GSP wrote:
bigboi wrote:
GSP wrote:

Steph had one of the deepest rosters in the league and he was outplayed by Jokic missing Murray, Mpj and Kcp in their series too

Anyone who thought Jokic was on Bron or Mj level is deluded and most likely a teenager :lol:

One of the deepest rosters? Why are you lying? That’s a flat out lie lmao
tlee324 wrote:

GSP
RealGM

Post#254 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 5:09 am

bigboi wrote:
GSP wrote:
bigboi wrote:

Rosters include both ends of the floor. They were the number 1 defense which had nothing to do w/ Steph. They had legit 2way talent at every position even if he didnt have a real star offensive teammate and that was the one playoff run Otto Porter was miraculously healthy for
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,770

Post#255 » by homecourtloss » Tue May 7, 2024 5:09 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Denver becomes very mortal when Murray isn't pulling his weight. I don't think this is really on Jokic though he needs to do more. It's just not in his usual playstyle to go for 40+ in playoff games. If Murray starts slow in game 3 Jokic absolutely has to pick up the slack and shoot it 25-30+ times though. That said I am not counting Den out yet. The pressure could still get to Minny later on.

The mindset and play of Jokic and the Nuggets in the first quarter and second quarter were absolutely awful. Jokic was throwing trash passes, Murray was throwing trash passes, and Malone didn’t get things settled by having Jokic establish deep post position and then either operate or kick out for open looks. Instead, they went to that high pick and roll with team being not confident at all and the open shots never came. As Heej mentioned in another thread, the Lakers did well defensively the last two games against this high screen game. The series was getting away from them and they kept playing cute. Jokic has to force the action the next game.

Series isn’t over yet. Murray has done nothing and Jokic has been mortal and downright awful defensively. Letting SLOmo drive buy you or shoot over you at the rim…
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#256 » by Statlanta » Tue May 7, 2024 5:20 am

bigboi wrote:Worst defender in nba mvp history

Idc what your looney advanced stats say. Garbage. Dude would’ve been cooked in 90s and 2000s

Well he would probably play PF in the 90s and 2000s. Also there's is less PnR so he would be guarding space much less.
Read on Twitter
GSP
RealGM

Post#257 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 6:02 am

Statlanta wrote:
bigboi wrote:Worst defender in nba mvp history

Well he would probably play PF in the 90s and 2000s. Also there's is less PnR so he would be guarding space much less.

His paint defense is just as big a problem as his perimeter defense. I mean Ad was averaging like 25 Ppg on 75% shooting in 1st halves just attacking him in the paint. And La in general lived inside.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#258 » by TheFire » Tue May 7, 2024 6:42 am

Does he ever win a ring again? Or should Denver trade him while value is all time high?
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,383

Post#259 » by SpreeS » Tue May 7, 2024 7:43 am

GSP wrote:
bigboi wrote:
GSP wrote:

Rosters include both ends of the floor. They were the number 1 defense which had nothing to do w/ Steph. They had legit 2way talent at every position even if he didnt have a real star offensive teammate and that was the one playoff run Otto Porter was miraculously healthy for

Its crazy how GSW peaked at the right time. They were really avg team in second half of RS after Klay return and **** team next two years. This supporting cast is looking so terrible if we look at longer period.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,496

Post#260 » by Jaivl » Tue May 7, 2024 10:24 am

TheFire wrote:Does he ever win a ring again? Or should Denver trade him while value is all time high?

Lmao what
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons