Joel Embiid - 23-24 NBA Thread - 23 NBA MVP

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,253

Re: Joel Embiid - 23-24 Regular Season Thread - 23 MVP (Part 1) 

Post#21 » by TroubleS0me » Fri Jan 5, 2024 12:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#22 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Re: Joel Embiid Is missing too many games to WIN MVP AGAIN? - 23-24 Regular Season Thread - 23 MVP (Part 1) 

Post#23 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#24 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#25 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Re: Joel Embiid 70 PTS - 23-24 Regular Season Thread - 23 MVP (Part 1) 

Post#26 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,193

Post#27 » by Mickey8 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:27 am

Just wait until the real basketball returns, when there is no 20 + ft's attempts in the game ,defenses are a bit better, the opponent coaches are scheming against you, we have watched this movie many times before but people are conveniently ignoring his failures . And Embiid is not the best big men shooter of all time not even in the top 8. Just look at his shooting career percentages , he's barely over 50%. For the context he had only 3 play off series when he was shooting over 50% from the field,on the other hand his contemporary Jokic had three play off series when he was shooting below 50%. Embiid is tragic in the pressure basketball . To be considered the best at something you have to produce in the games that matter. Come post season he will miss all those jump shots that he's making now, there is nothing to convince me that he wont, I am watching it every season. History is speaking for itself.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,551

Post#28 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:30 am

This definitely reminds me of 36ppg Harden where the number just seems too high
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,730

Post#29 » by homecourtloss » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:38 am

Dr Positivity wrote:This definitely reminds me of 36ppg Harden where the number just seems too high

He draws fouls like prime Shaq if you take out hack-a-Shaq and shoots them like Chris Mullin while shooting from midrange like 2011 Dirk (lesser degree of difficulty). Pretty much no way to stop him from scoring.

Mickey8 wrote:Just wait until the real basketball returns, when there is no 20 + ft's attempts in the game ,defenses are a bit better, the opponent coaches are scheming against you, we have watched this movie many times before but people are conveniently ignoring his failures . And Embiid is not the best big men shooter of all time not even in the top 8. Just look at his shooting career percentages , he's barely over 50%. For the context he had only 3 play off series when he was shooting over 50% from the field,on the other hand his contemporary Jokic had three play off series when he was shooting below 50%. Embiid is tragic in the pressure basketball . To be considered the best at something you have to produce in the games that matter. Come post season he will miss all those jump shots that he's making now, there is nothing to convince me that he wont, I am watching it every season. History is speaking for itself.

It’s ok— not everything has to be about Jokić. Embiid is a special talent.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Mickey8 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:48 am

He's Chris Webber of today's NBA. A great regular season NBA player, horrible post season player, nothing that I haven't seen before. Even though Webber was a way more productive play off player than Embiid , he would also drop quality of his play and would choke real hard.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#31 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:30 am

Mickey8 wrote:He's Chris Webber of today's NBA. A great regular season NBA player, horrible post season player, nothing that I haven't seen before. Even though Webber was a way more productive play off player than Embiid , he would also drop quality of his play and would choke real hard.

This is embarrassing
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,608

Post#32 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:48 am

Mickey8 wrote:He's Chris Webber of today's NBA. A great regular season NBA player, horrible post season player, nothing that I haven't seen before. Even though Webber was a way more productive play off player than Embiid , he would also drop quality of his play and would choke real hard.

Look if you want to knock Embiid for his playoff falloff the guy to go with is David Robinson. You just look ridiculous comparing him to Webber.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,256

Post#33 » by McBubbles » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:49 am

Mickey8 wrote:Just wait until the real basketball returns, when there is no 20 + ft's attempts in the game ,defenses are a bit better, the opponent coaches are scheming against you, we have watched this movie many times before but people are conveniently ignoring his failures . And Embiid is not the best big men shooter of all time not even in the top 8. Just look at his shooting career percentages , he's barely over 50%. For the context he had only 3 play off series when he was shooting over 50% from the field,on the other hand his contemporary Jokic had three play off series when he was shooting below 50%. Embiid is tragic in the pressure basketball . To be considered the best at something you have to produce in the games that matter. Come post season he will miss all those jump shots that he's making now, there is nothing to convince me that he wont, I am watching it every season. History is speaking for itself.

Shaddup
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,099

Post#34 » by The-Power » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:51 am

Some Embiid stans are insufferable, but so are some Jokic stans. Just enjoy watching greatness or, if you can't and have nothing to offer but over the top hatred, at least take a step back and yell into a pillow instead of going online to vent. It's really not worth it for anyone, especially on a historical night like that which a lot of people try to appreciate.

And just to clarify: every superstar has some insufferable stans. I'm just bringing up Embiid's and Jokic's because that's the two players and fans involved in this thread.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,368

Post#35 » by tsherkin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:25 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Just wait until the real basketball returns, when there is no 20 + ft's attempts in the game ,defenses are a bit better, the opponent coaches are scheming against you,

You understand that Embiid's playoff FTr is actually a shade HIGHER in the playoffs than in the RS over his career, right?

Free throw attempts vanishing are not what cause his issues in the playoffs. Even in the last couple of seasons, where it has dropped a little, he's still a .550+ over the past three years in the playoffs. He's a MONSTER in that regard, even in the postseason.

He gets in trouble as his turnovers increase, his 2FG% falls by around 5% and he can't hit 3s. If you're gonna take a crack at him, at least be correct...

Anyway, this was an insane game. Very impressive.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Mickey8 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 pm

My point is that he wont get 25 ft attempts in any deep play off game even though he's darling of the NBA organization. And the reason he's missing those jump shots and threes are because pressure is much greater in the play off's and defense is more consistent, coaches are planing how to play against you every game. Also his post up game to me is very sloppy, I saw him struggling posting up against Marc Gaso,Marcus Smart,Al Horford, Bam Adebayo in the play off's. He's a great performer when the pressure is not that great when he needs to step up in the play off's he's like an amateur. He's not the best player in the league , he's just have the most usage than any other star in the league. He's not better player than Jokic,Giannis,Luka etc.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,730

Post#37 » by homecourtloss » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:49 pm

TheGOATRises007 wrote:

This is embarrassing

Absolutely unreal. :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Post#38 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:57 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Just wait until the real basketball returns, when there is no 20 + ft's attempts in the game ,defenses are a bit better, the opponent coaches are scheming against you,

You understand that Embiid's playoff FTr is actually a shade HIGHER in the playoffs than in the RS over his career, right?

Free throw attempts vanishing are not what cause his issues in the playoffs. Even in the last couple of seasons, where it has dropped a little, he's still a .550+ over the past three years in the playoffs. He's a MONSTER in that regard, even in the postseason.

He gets in trouble as his turnovers increase, his 2FG% falls by around 5% and he can't hit 3s. If you're gonna take a crack at him, at least be correct...

Anyway, this was an insane game. Very impressive.

Is why i theorize the mental aspect of hunting for free throws does more damage to him than anythingh else in the playoffs

I think he has got a bit too accostumed to playing for the foul which messes his rythim and confidence in the playoffs
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,368

Post#39 » by tsherkin » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:19 am

falcolombardi wrote:Is why i theorize the mental aspect of hunting for free throws does more damage to him than anythingh else in the playoffs

I think he has got a bit too accostumed to playing for the foul which messes his rythim and confidence in the playoffs

I doubt it.

His middle game suffers in the playoffs but he still finishes in close, still generates shots there, still blazes away from the long 2. I think a lot of it is just variance, to be honest. His 2020 and 2021 runs were just fine. 2022 was pretty solid, last game against Miami notwithstanding. And he's dealt with a lot of injuries and roster issues.

I think to at least SOME extent, his playoff woes are discussed a shade more than they should be. He still needs to prove it, but like, there is more to the story than some dude who just wilts when the playoffs roll around.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Post#40 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:34 am

tsherkin wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:Is why i theorize the mental aspect of hunting for free throws does more damage to him than anythingh else in the playoffs

I doubt it.

His middle game suffers in the playoffs but he still finishes in close, still generates shots there, still blazes away from the long 2. I think a lot of it is just variance, to be honest. His 2020 and 2021 runs were just fine. 2022 was pretty solid, last game against Miami notwithstanding. And he's dealt with a lot of injuries and roster issues.

I think to at least SOME extent, his playoff woes are discussed a shade more than they should be. He still needs to prove it, but like, there is more to the story than some dude who just wilts when the playoffs roll around.

So you think he has a potential case of pre 2021 giannis (somewhat overstated struggles which are recontextualized after 1-2 great runs)

Return to Player Comparisons