Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,823

Re: VW = ? (Rookie Season Thread) 

Post#221 » by tsherkin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:25 am

SNPA wrote:
…basically same take as me, it’s his league now. There is no comparison point, GOAT is on the table of outcomes.

The potential is there. He needs to get a LOT better on O before substantive GOAT conversation happens, but he's already an excellent rebounder and defender and he is showing lots of good signs on O. This year is exciting enough; seeing him in his second season and once San Antonio starts actively trying to win will be quite interesting.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,128

Post#222 » by rk2023 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:30 am

10 block triple double for Vic tonight. That’s some rare air statistically.
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,327

Post#223 » by WestGOAT » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:28 am

10 blocks is crazy, but those were some really low IQ shots the Raptors were taking.

Wemby's playmaking has some crazy potential though, those no-look passes were genuinely impressive.

If he becomes a legit playmaker that might really be no way stopping him. Just needs to take care of those bad live turnovers:

spotted in Bologna
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,594

Post#224 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm

Some of the blocks were comical but my other takeaway is he might be the biggest lob threat ever. The lobs he catches are so off balance/out of place sometimes. The way he can finish them without dunks with ease.

Last 22 games: 26.6 MPG, 22.9 PPG, 9.5 RPG, 3.5 APG, .9 SPG, 3.4 BPG, 3.7 TOV

50.8% FG, 36.7% 3PT (on 5 3PA!), 84.9% FT, 61.6% TS

His average raw +/- in that span is +0.1. Sky is truly the limit for Wemby.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,591

Post#225 » by The Master » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm

Some historic stuff by Wembanyama in his shotblocking/stealing in the last couple of games, but his passing looks so so fantastic in some games that is probably the biggest surprise this season and something that is the most entertaining to follow in my eyes:

Cross-court outlet pass (1:03), assists as a perimeter ballhandler (1:37; 1:45; 2:27), inverted pnr ballhandler (1:23; 2:09; 2:36), cross-court pass (3:00), with fantastic court awareness (these assists to Sochan) - I can realistically imagine him being the 2nd-best passing center ever besides Jokic, he has much bigger upside as a ballhandler than Sabonis and will be so much better than Dray (considering him as a smallball C) as a scoring threat-iso player (these passes to open shooters - imagine what will happen once he gets decent shooting around him). He's obviously as for now very turnover-prone, but basically half of his tovs are just rookie mistakes of him being too flashy / loose handles etc., it will be quite easy to eliminate with some experience.

As a rookie, only Sengun had higher assists/100 possessions (5.9 vs 5.5) than Wemby among centers (and in his 3rd season he's already at 5.0 APG), but again - Wembanyama playing point center gives him much bigger upside in this regard (and he'll be obviously easily much better scorer with different gravity, so that will be helpful).

This is actually insane how his shooting/passing projection in comparison to other 20yo bigs look like, if you combine that with his scoring potential and him being modern D GOAT-level talent.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by tsherkin » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:38 pm

The Master wrote:This is actually insane how his shooting/passing projection in comparison to other 20yo bigs look like, if you combine that with his scoring potential and him being modern D GOAT-level talent.

The passing has been pretty eye-opening these past couple months. He has a lot of work to put in as far as scoring, but more support and spacing and so forth will help that, plus time. Seeing that vision, those technical skills and his creativity this early is very impressive and opens a lot of doors to change up how the defense has to account for him, which is pretty sweet.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,591

Post#227 » by The Master » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:32 pm

The Master wrote:Defensive metrics:

Holmgren without SGA:

Wembanyama as a center/as a power forward

Wembanyama with regular point guard (Tre Jones):

Update, as I was wondering at that time whether he'll be able to keep up his crazy splits as a center/with Tre as a point guard:

Defensive metrics:

Wembanyama as a center:

Wembanyama with regular point guard (Tre Jones):

Nothing to see here, actually: Spurs got more difficult schedule recently, so his defensive numbers (DFG%, DFG% at rim) are down, so is his net rating with Tre on a court - most importantly, his boxscore production is steady while 1069 minutes as a center is ~35 games sample, so it's almost half of the season for Wemby as a center. So yeah, as a rookie center he's definitely already 23-11-4-4, +6-7 BPM type of a player in 29-30 minutes, that's crazy.

Next thing to update at the end of the season will be his shooting:

Per30:

I couldn't get specific splits of his shooting as a center/power forward on pbpstats.com, so I went through nba.com splits to/since his first game as a starting C (12/08/2023), 3 pointers:

Damn, his pull-up %s are crazy - he's 41% on a sample of 98 attempts already in the full season.

Read on Twitter

His shooting projection may be even better than I thought (right now: 82%FT, 32% 3PT on big volume, over 40% 3PT from pull ups). Wemby is 35% from 3pt line since his first game as a starting center, so that's something to follow once we get additional 20 game sample. If his reference value from 3pt line before the offseason will be actually 35%, then I'd expect borderline MVP-type of production next year already.

On negative note - Spurs are so disastrous talent wise right now considering they're 6-19 with Tre as a starting point guard / 7-27 with Wemby as a center, so they're still ~20W team even when Pop ended his experiments with Sochan as a starting PG / Wemby as a PF.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by tsherkin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:07 pm

Fun little graphic from an AlexHoops video from 2 days ago.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:51 am

The Master wrote:On negative note - Spurs are so disastrous talent wise right now considering they're 6-19 with Tre as a starting point guard / 7-27 with Wemby as a center, so they're still ~20W team even when Pop ended his experiments with Sochan as a starting PG / Wemby as a PF.

Yeah, but... they're literally the 4th-worst offense in the league on the season and 24th on D even with Wemby. They lack talent, point blank. It isn't even a negative; at this point, they're just getting a better pick in the upcoming draft to hopefully stack more youth with VW. Or perhaps to parlay into a quality starter or whatever.

They have nothing of consequence on that team. Wemby and Devin Vassall are literally the only 2 guys on the team with 1000+ minutes and a +0 or better OBPM. Of course, Zack Collins is the only guy on that list over 24 as well, so they've got a great deal of youth, just not a ton of high-end talent beyond Victor. The results are predictable.
rk2023
Starter

Post#230 » by rk2023 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:11 am

Crazy game tonight against fellow rookie Chet and the 1 seed Thunder. He did so many things well, but the passing stands out to me the most
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,223

Post#231 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:24 am

One thing that is often forget and underrated [I did undervalue this in my evaluation of Wemby pre-draft] is accounting for just how big his gravity is and how easy he can manufacture assists out of his gravity. His feel and passing looks so easy.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,325

Post#232 » by SNPA » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:19 am

I apologize. I was early on the Wemby hype train calling him the greatest prospect since James. I made many posts in this thread like that.

I was wrong.

He is the GOAT prospect. James who? I undersold VW. My bad.

Won’t happen again.

Carry on.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,233

Post#233 » by AdagioPace » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:46 am

rk2023 wrote:Crazy game tonight against fellow rookie Chet and the 1 seed Thunder. He did so many things well, but the passing stands out to me the most

Luckily his 3p% seem to have stabilized itself to a decent level and his understanding of the game is already excellent. If he becomes a sort of prime KG with better volume shooting/scoring, welp for the league.... :oops:
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,965

Post#234 » by Heej » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:09 am

tsherkin wrote:
The Master wrote:This is actually insane how his shooting/passing projection in comparison to other 20yo bigs look like, if you combine that with his scoring potential and him being modern D GOAT-level talent.

The passing has been pretty eye-opening these past couple months. He has a lot of work to put in as far as scoring, but more support and spacing and so forth will help that, plus time. Seeing that vision, those technical skills and his creativity this early is very impressive and opens a lot of doors to change up how the defense has to account for him, which is pretty sweet.

I think the most impressive part about his passing ability is how it's kinda proven to scale with defensive IQ and deflections. Kid's already got a good head on his shoulders in regards to that, just the mental ceiling he projects to reach alone is impressive. Let alone everything else. Very cool to see man, this is awesome. Kid is like the goddamn basketball Avatar or some s***
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by tsherkin » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:12 am

Heej wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I think the most impressive part about his passing ability is how it's kinda proven to scale with defensive IQ and deflections. Kid's already got a good head on his shoulders in regards to that, just the mental ceiling he projects to reach alone is impressive. Let alone everything else. Very cool to see man, this is awesome. Kid is like the goddamn basketball Avatar or some s***

He is fun to watch, no doubt.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,280

Post#236 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:31 pm

Another spectacular game

I hear he's shooting 41% on pull up 3's and 27% on catch and shoot 3's, always interesting shot profile when a player has that
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
rk2023
Starter

Post#237 » by rk2023 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:50 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Another spectacular game

I hear he's shooting 41% on pull up 3's and 27% on catch and shoot 3's, always interesting shot profile when a player has that

It kind of makes sense when watching those attempts on film too, Tbfh
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,398

Post#238 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:12 am

I think Victor should have people rethinking what a young Kareem would be like in today's league. I made a thread about 6 months ago or so saying to me he almost answers the question of what Kareem might be like if he were 19/20 and drafted today and a lot of people thought I was way off but he may be better(which isn't to say he'd be better in the 70's) because he may be a naturally better outside shooter with even more length. I think they are pretty close in terms of baseline talent.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by tsherkin » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:27 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I think Victor should have people rethinking what a young Kareem would be like in today's league. I made a thread about 6 months ago or so saying to me he almost answers the question of what Kareem might be like if he were 19/20 and drafted today and a lot of people thought I was way off but he may be better(which isn't to say he'd be better in the 70's) because he may be a naturally better outside shooter with even more length. I think they are pretty close in terms of baseline talent.

Depends on how Kareem would have developed in the contemporary environment. In reality, he didn't showcase much range past about 14, 15 feet and it took him a while to add counters to the skyhook. He was quite mobile, though, and did used to face up more as a Buck and a younger Laker. Definitely not a better outside shooter than Wemby by nature, leastwise not in his actual career. Loads of talent, though, so again, I guess it comes down to how he'd develop in a different formative environment.
PooledSilver
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#240 » by PooledSilver » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:31 pm

Talent wise Victor and Kareem aren’t close, Victor is the most fluid player we’ve ever seen at that size it’s absurd

Return to Player Comparisons