What held Stockton back from being the GOAT PG?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,338

Re: What held Stockton back from being the GOAT PG? 

Post#101 » by ShotCreator » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:30 am

tsherkin wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:Yeah, no. We're just talking in circles now. There's no way I'll ever agree to the bold. Young Stockton was a fastbreak demon because of his quickness.

No, read that line again, because you're reading more into it than is there.

I said he never relied on his quickness. He had other tools. That's why he aged well. Well, part of it.

(EDIT: whoops, hit SUBMIT too soon, forgot to flesh this out.

Like I said, I don't think Stockton was unathletic. I think what held him back was lack of ELITE quickness, which he very visibly did not have and no objective source will be able to describe. He was considerably slower than healthy KJ. That doesn't mean that he wasn't quick, and I've already SPECIFICALLY mentioned his end to end quickness as good in this thread, so you're not actually arguing points I've made. It's also worth realizing that you can mitigate quickness difference to some extent with threat of shot and with really quality approach to dribble attack, which Stockton did well, and with PnR, which he also manipulated quite adroitly. )

My point of bringing up old Paul is to say you can be a small guard, and be much slower than Stockton was and still be very effective.

Not sure I see why this is relevant to the conversation we've been having.

I want to take the chance to say this: I have never, ever been convinced Scottie Pippen was better than Stockton, at any point in their careers, on either end. I remember Ben Taylor clearly ranking Pippen above him and I just always felt that was wrong. I'm getting new info like the rim % stats, and the RAPM data, along with watching him and I really feel that gut feeling I had was right. Stockton was really unique. Deceptively had rim pressure based on quickness, pretty much never had a down defensive year and was a well above average shooter to top it off.

I think the difference Ben was after came from defense, and from Pippen (especially first three-peat Pippen) applying more scoring pressure, to the degree that Utah lacked alongside Malone.

But you know what I can't help it, this is one of my last times going on about this quickness thing:

Look at what Stockton did to Jordan in 96 on ball: ;ab_channel=All-aroundNBA

Completely beat him at 0:46, 1:55, and 3:45.

:46 was nice. He was on a guy half a foot taller than him who did have to get closer to respect his shot and Jordan WAS shading him to the baseline, so I'm not as impressed by that as you are. Again, Stockton wasn't unathletic, and it's also a good counter to everyone who mopes that the 90s were nothing but handchecking that would ruin small guards today, heh.

1:55 isn't particularly impressive at all from a quickness POV, not a good example of your point. He switched directions with tons of space between him and Jordan. The real move he made there was the way he lulled Jordan into moving to the left and then pulled that cross while Jordan's momentum was going in the other direction. it was a particularly well-executed move that had much less to do about quickness and more about rocking his defender and manipulating timing and expectation. Look at him all upright, unrushed, just chilling, gets Jordan moving and then BOOM. That was a sweet move, and it only required so much athleticism to be effective. That was all skill.

3:45 wasn't quickness, that was getting the defender thinking about the screen and then declining it to go the opposite direction. And again, Stockton makes his move in one direction and then went another. That's misdirection and shifting weight, which was quite proficient.

Phil ended the game with Kerr on him, which is a preview of the 97 Finals. His quickness was a particular problem. He could get into the middle of the lane on elite defensive teams consistently. He was no Nash to me, but I think his low FGA really underestimate the pressure he put on defenses. This is no Ricky Rubio here. Not that you ever said that.
[/quote]
If Stockton didn't have the quickness you suppose he didn't rely on, we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. So I won't get into the hair splitting what he didn't rely on it even means. I don't even think I agree in any case.

Saying he BOOMED into a Jordan as a way saying it wasn't a use of quickness just sounds ridiculous. What was that boom? A slow step? He attacked him in space. Which really goes against this thing where you say he only beat people because they cared about his shooting. Then when they sag off because - like Jordan knew by that point, he had nothing for him as far as quickness off the bounce, you say it has nothing to do with quickness... :lol:

And bro, if thinking about the screen is all takes to get a halfcourt layup/dunk quality shot in the NBA, the game would be a lot different. Stockton beat Jordan AND help before they could even rotate. It's quickness. It's not complicated.

That's why sagging off doesn't work on Giannis, LeBron, Westbrook, etc. They gain momentum. Again this just fleshes out how aggressive and not lacking in defense pressure Stockton's game was. All based on quickness off the bounce.
Swinging for the fences.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,216

Post#102 » by tsherkin » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:26 pm

ShotCreator wrote:If Stockton didn't have the quickness you suppose he didn't rely on,

Tell me, do you think he was as quick as Iverson?

Unless you are arguing "yes," then this point needn't be discussed further. He did not have elite quickness. He had some quickness, enough to work with in order to play his game. It's really frustrating that you are trying to ply this point as some sort of insult to Stockton when I have repetitiously used words like "elite" in order to indicate that I'm talking about a level of athleticism he very visibly and clearly did not possess, and in the context of him not being better than he was (which was quite good itself).

And bro, if thinking about the screen is all takes to get a halfcourt layup/dunk quality shot in the NBA, the game would be a lot different. Stockton beat Jordan AND help before they could even rotate. It's quickness. It's not complicated.

It's more timing than quickness, really.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#103 » by penbeast0 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:22 pm

Okay, let's let the quickness issue go.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,302

Post#104 » by canada_dry » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:32 am

Self creation

Scoring

Scoring scalability in the playoffs.

Less productive in the playoffs

Team performed better in playoffs when he was less involved offensively (97 and 98)

20 years with malone and nothing to show for it, a big reason being his own performance

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,302

Post#105 » by canada_dry » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:40 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:And I've been led to believe Stockton did this with a walker, which makes him even more amazing being that he was so slow and unathletic.

This sort of fallacious nonsense is really irritating.

Sure.

But its also irritating that over and over the Nash guys have been shown data that shows the idea of Nash as more aggressive doesn't really match the reality. Oh a bit more, but its been made out that Nash was this super aggressive scorer when he himself in recent years has been outspoken about how that was one of his failings and if he had it to do again he would have been more aggressive.

Its that people just think all Stockton did was feed Malone in the post which is so reductive and incorrect and when people have tried pointing out things like FGA or scoring averages not really showing the narrative Nash guys want it to, they hand wave it away or make excuses.

Then to get mad when someone intentionally goes too far trying to illustrate that point feels rich.

Nash was great, but so was Stockton. And its hilarious to me that the same guys who use plus/minus stuff as gospel when its about a player they love, they insist we take it at face value, but when it shows Stockton much more favorably than Nash the spin cycle starts.

Be consistent. Either plus minus tells us everything all the time or it doesn't. But its become a matter of convenience. While claiming some sort of intellectual higher ground.... nah
Nash said he could have been MORE aggressive than he already tried( and succeeded) to be in the playoffs. Think steph curry like aggressiveness or close, but more on ball i guess. Shoot more 3s maybe less mid range(despite being crazy elite at that too)

That quote doesn't mean he didn't scale up in his prime/peak years (2005-2007)while keeping his elite efficiency. He did. And scored more as a result. From In that 15-18 range in season to 20+ in the playoffs. Stockton was incapable of doing that despite trying some years. The numbers do bare that reality.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Return to Player Comparisons