Other
3%

Total votes: 31

worldjbfree
Junior
And1: 169

Jordanaires - The Best SG Today 

Post#1 » by worldjbfree » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:47 pm

Yes, positionless basketball is a thing in the NBA now, but I'm an old-head of sorts and today is Jordan's 61st birthday so I wanted to have a discussion about shooting guards. Specifically, looking at the candidates for best at the position currently. I do think some guards and swingmen blur the lines, so I did include a write-in option for arguments to be made.

However, I'm looking at three players that fit the bill to start:

Devin Booker
Anthony Edwards
Donovan Mitchell

In your opinion, who is the best at the position currently. Also, if you think there is someone not quite there but could join this conversation in a season or two, feel free to call your shot. I'm always curious about what players/teams to pay extra attention to on League Pass.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,305

Re: Jordanaires - The Best SG Today 

Post#2 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:35 pm

Of these 3, I’d probably take Booker first. Slightly ahead of Mitchell. Long term, AE may be better than both but he’s not there yet.

SGA is the best SG, if anyone considers him to be that (which I do).
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 318

Post#3 » by Rishkar » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:46 pm

I consider Luka a SG, so I'd say him. However, if you see him as something else, it's Booker with a pretty big gap on the other two
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,715

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:12 am

You need to define the term. If you mean the 2nd smallest guy on the court for your team during the majority of his minutes, then you get a different grouping from whichever of the 2 smallest guys does the least creating for others. Other definitions will produce similar differences.

That's the main way to figure out if you can include a Luka or SGA in the discussion.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
worldjbfree
Junior

Post#5 » by worldjbfree » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:09 am

penbeast0 wrote:You need to define the term. If you mean the 2nd smallest guy on the court for your team during the majority of his minutes, then you get a different grouping from whichever of the 2 smallest guys does the least creating for others. Other definitions will produce similar differences.

That's the main way to figure out if you can include a Luka or SGA in the discussion.

I'm leaning towards the latter definition, but even that is a inconsistent usage. Isn't Booker running point for the Suns, with Beal/Allen at the wings? Then you have Luka and Kyrie, where Luka is obviously bigger, but I would call Kyrie the off-guard in that pairing. It's a new world in the NBA, so this question is trickier than ever.

My personal opinion is that Luka and SGA are both 1s that create the most for their team while also scoring a ton (which is just modern NBA scoring from ballhandlers), but welcoming all debates on this.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,535

Post#6 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:49 am

This season? I think Mitchell's been the best.
SportsGuru08
Senior
And1: 608

Post#7 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:08 am

Booker has the most well-rounded game of this group, at least offensively.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,337

Post#8 » by CodeBreaker » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:51 pm

Kawhi is the closest thing to MJ currently.

From the poll, it's Booker.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 879

Post#9 » by JimmyFromNz » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:17 pm

On the season Donovan has put up better numbers. Big picture to date I'd still take Booker, following his playoff performances last season I'm a much bigger believer.

He could always score, but I'd spent some time criticising his play style and aversion to defense.

Over the past couple of seasons he has really matured his game, particularly in his decision making, has become a very solid primary ball handler, and has clearly worked on his defensive fundamentals, Reads switches much better and can now play solid (good) one-one when isolated in those situations. I still think the other two have the me-first streak in them which leads to some poor decisions, and inconsistencies on the other end of the floor. Edwards is a couple of years of development away.
worldjbfree
Junior

Post#10 » by worldjbfree » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 am

Remembered this from earlier in the year, and with the MIN/PHX series currently going the way it is, does this push Ant over Booker for anyone now?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,562

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 am

I think it’s reasonable to call Doncic SG
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#12 » by rk2023 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm

I consider Shai to be a SG, clearly him as a result. No love for D-Mitch on the poll is wild though! When healthy this year, he was clearly the best
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Post#13 » by RCM88x » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm

rk2023 wrote:I consider Shai to be a SG, clearly him as a result. No love for D-Mitch on the poll is wild though! When healthy this year, he was clearly the best

Easily has the worst offensive supporting cast to, like by miles and miles compared to these other guys.

I still feel like I'd take Booker when starting a team from scratch though.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.

Return to Player Comparisons