58%

Total votes: 78

DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,990

Re: Jerry West vs Stephen Curry 

Post#81 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:05 pm

70sFan wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:At best Jerry was the 3rd best player of his era, and you can make a decent argument for Oscar being 3rd and West 4th. Most people consider LeBron #1 and Steph #2 of the era that just concluded. It's really hard to compare players of different eras, especially with practically the largest time gap possible, so to me the era value matters a lot.

Jerry never won an MVP, while Steph won back to back MVPs including the only unanimous MVP. Their playoff careers are tough to compare, but to me the peak vs. peak favors Steph. You can say Jerry suffered from guards not being as valuable during his era, but Oscar Robertson managed to win MVP and so did Petit (Wilt wasn't in the league yet, but BR was in his 2nd year).

I do like that this question is being asked, because West gets overlooked.

Pettit was a bigman.

Yup, totally wires-crossed him and Cousy in my head. Also mis-remembered the MVPs in relation to BR, Pettit won in BR's 3rd year and Cousy won in BR's rookie season.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Post#82 » by 70sFan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:45 pm

dygaction wrote:
70sFan wrote:
dygaction wrote:
I can value offense but in what world would 19.8p/4.8r/8.8a at .325fg% better offense than 19.4/23.2/2.6a at .60fg%? That's wild chucker at another level.

It's another time I realized I shouldn't start such conversation, it's completely pointless...

of course, I don't know why we are arguing here. West had one of the largest drop in scoring and efficiency for a superstar not going through an injury. He averaged 25.8 @.477FG% during the regular season but dropped to 22.9p @.376FG% in the playoffs. Goodrich appeared to be the better offensive player with higher ppg and much higher fg%.

Also even if you think he was the best player, it does not bring him to Wilt and Russell conversation as Russel was retired by then and West was on the same team with Wilt.

West had a horrible shooting slump in the last 11 games of the season, but:

1. That doesn't make Wilt a better offensive player for the whole season (and Wilt certainly wasn't better than him in WCF).

2. Goodrich himself struggled immensely in the WCF. He shot way better than West in the finals but he didn't provide much value as a playmaker and he's much worse defender.

3. It's a well known case of West having an unusually bad shooting period, such moments can happen even to the best shooters ever. It's not like West was a notorious postseason underperformer, quite the opposite.

4. West finished 2nd in MVP voting, ahead of Wilt. You act like West was completely washed at that point when in reality he was still one of the best players in the league.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,189

Post#83 » by dygaction » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 pm

70sFan wrote:
dygaction wrote:
70sFan wrote:It's another time I realized I shouldn't start such conversation, it's completely pointless...

of course, I don't know why we are arguing here. West had one of the largest drop in scoring and efficiency for a superstar not going through an injury. He averaged 25.8 @.477FG% during the regular season but dropped to 22.9p @.376FG% in the playoffs. Goodrich appeared to be the better offensive player with higher ppg and much higher fg%.

Also even if you think he was the best player, it does not bring him to Wilt and Russell conversation as Russel was retired by then and West was on the same team with Wilt.

West had a horrible shooting slump in the last 11 games of the season, but:

1. That doesn't make Wilt a better offensive player for the whole season (and Wilt certainly wasn't better than him in WCF).

2. Goodrich himself struggled immensely in the WCF. He shot way better than West in the finals but he didn't provide much value as a playmaker and he's much worse defender.

3. It's a well known case of West having an unusually bad shooting period, such moments can happen even to the best shooters ever. It's not like West was a notorious postseason underperformer, quite the opposite.

4. West finished 2nd in MVP voting, ahead of Wilt. You act like West was completely washed at that point when in reality he was still one of the best players in the league.

Those are fair points but you started putting words to my mouth "We all know you value individual offense over defense, so how can you justify putting Wilt ahead of West in 1972?" What's the point of arguing for something you completely do not share/believe on a forum?

1. We were talking he was not the best player on the championship team. Championship team comes from playoffs. His individual offense was not even great in the playoffs to start with.
2. Better than a 35 year old Wilt is nice but again, good to have him on your side than winning against him.
3. We were discussing West was an after thought after Wilt, Russell, and many times Oscar as he never won a regular season MVP. Curry has two and one being unanimous amidst modern competition. He anchored a franchise that drafted him with four championships in 6 finals trips. He and LeBron was the past decade's Wilt and Russell. West was more like CP3 but luckier as aging Wilt >> Ayton.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,842

Post#84 » by OhayoKD » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:54 pm

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Yeah it makes very little sense.

"Oh, West was #3 MAYBE even #4, while Curry was definitely #2! And 2 is higher than 3!"

And it's not like Curry was even "definitely" number 2. I would be surprised if the majority of the seasons of Curry's career he was the 2nd best player in the NBA.

Love ir when "relative to the competition" people don't understand how "relative to the competition" works

Relative to competition doesn't literally mean the comparison of the rank in POY every year..

Definitely not a strawman.

Does having multiple players you likely need a supporting cast advantage to beat more often than not offer a disadvantage vs having one? Okay, then dygaction has a point. It's not that deep.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
70sFan
RealGM

Post#85 » by 70sFan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Love ir when "relative to the competition" people don't understand how "relative to the competition" works

Relative to competition doesn't literally mean the comparison of the rank in POY every year..

Does having multiple players you likely need a supporting cast advantage to beat more often than not offer a disadvantage vs having one? Okay, then dygaction has a point. It's not that deep.

West never played a single series against Wilt or Oscar in the 1960s as far as I remember, so how can you know that he'd need a supporting cast advantage to beat them?
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by OhayoKD » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:17 pm

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:Relative to competition doesn't literally mean the comparison of the rank in POY every year..

West never played a single series against Wilt or Oscar in the 1960s as far as I remember, so how can you know that he'd need a supporting cast advantage to beat them?

are we assuming he's always going to be as lucky as he was in terms of conference placement?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
70sFan
RealGM

Post#87 » by 70sFan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:25 am

OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Definitely not a strawman.

are we assuming he's always going to be as lucky as he was in terms of conference placement?

Are we doing the same when you push Magic over Bird (and sometimes over Jordan)?
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,239

Post#88 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:32 pm

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:West never played a single series against Wilt or Oscar in the 1960s as far as I remember, so how can you know that he'd need a supporting cast advantage to beat them?

Are we doing the same when you push Magic over Bird (and sometimes over Jordan)?

I do not know why you keep running with this false equivalence when Magic consistently won and proved capable of beating better teams.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by OhayoKD » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:52 pm

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:West never played a single series against Wilt or Oscar in the 1960s as far as I remember, so how can you know that he'd need a supporting cast advantage to beat them?

I've never put Magic above Jordan. He has a solid empirical case, but i've consistently sided with mj anyway

That aside, the point here is that regardless of whether magic benefitted from weak competition or not, if someone belives magic was better than bird(and he obviously was) as well as jordan(eh), then his championship prospects would not be as depdendent on conference luck as someone who is 4th(because now the odds become that its' more likely than not you face two of these better players).

If you want to argue that bird was actually better than magic and this was just obfiscated by a weak west, fine, but HBK is not disputing the placement, they're disputing the relevance of how you rank among your peers in a cross-era comparison
70sFan
RealGM

Post#90 » by 70sFan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:11 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:are we assuming he's always going to be as lucky as he was in terms of conference placement?

I've never put Magic above Jordan. He has a solid empirical case, but i've consistently sided with mj anyway

That aside, the point here is that regardless of whether magic benefitted from weak competition or not, if someone belives magic was better than bird(and he obviously was) as well as jordan(eh), then his championship prospects would not be as depdendent on conference luck as someone who is 4th(because now the odds become that its' more likely than not you face two of these better players).

If you want to argue that bird was actually better than magic and this was just obfiscated by a weak west, fine, but HBK is not disputing the placement, they're disputing the relevance of how you rank among your peers in a cross-era comparison

If someone believes that West is better than Wilt and Oscar (which is defensible), then it's the same situation. The difference is that West had to play against a better player with (usually but not always) better team, while Magic didn't face Jordan, because MJ lacked supporting cast.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,182

Post#91 » by lessthanjake » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:24 pm

AEnigma wrote:
70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:are we assuming he's always going to be as lucky as he was in terms of conference placement?

I do not know why you keep running with this false equivalence when Magic consistently won and proved capable of beating better teams.

I’m not sure I’m properly following what’s going on here, but I’m curious what you mean by Magic “beating better teams.” I have no problem putting Magic ahead of Bird, so I’m not getting at any overarching point, but I’m curious what you mean. Magic’s Lakers did win four series as SRS underdogs—the 1982 Finals against the 76ers, the 1988 Finals against the Pistons; the 1989 WCF against the Suns; and the 1991 WCF against the Blazers. I guess I’m not really sure any of those teams were actually better than the Lakers, though. It’s definitely the case that none of them had as much star power as the Lakers (which does tend to matter more in the playoffs, compared to the regular season). The biggest star they faced in those series was Dr. J, but at that point the Lakers had Magic and a Kareem that was still at the tail end of his prime. Isiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler, and Kevin Johnson were really good players and definitely had good teams (especially Isiah, of course), but I guess I’m just not convinced the Lakers weren’t the better team each time. The 1988 Finals is probably the one I think was most arguably the Lakers beating a better team, because, even though they didn’t have any all-time great player, we know what the Pistons did the next two years and they also outscored the Lakers in a super close series. But I do think the Pistons got better in their title years (Aguirre was a better fit than Dantley, Dumars came into his own, etc.). So even that one I’m not sure of. The bottom line IMO is that Magic was an amazing player, but the Lakers were always a really stacked team.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,612

Post#92 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:38 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:what is even wests arg? curry more rings more mvps and big wowy and rapm. even won without a superteam. west made superteam and only won once

West has the longevity argument over curry. Curry only has 4 All nba 1st team selections. And this season curry is having his worst season since 2010
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by OhayoKD » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:36 am

70sFan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:Are we doing the same when you push Magic over Bird (and sometimes over Jordan)?

If someone believes that West is better than Wilt and Oscar (which is defensible), then it's the same situation.

Sure. If dygaction's in-era rankings are off, then the whole thought train is derailed.
[quoye]The difference is that West had to play against a better player with (usually but not always) better team, while Magic didn't face Jordan, because MJ lacked supporting cast.[/quote]
Well the extent to which it was "jordan lacked supporting cast" and the extent it was "jordan was not russell-level valuable in hid era individually" is debatable I think. The real wrench in this equivalency is there's a solid case to be made for Magic as the closest thing to a Russell approximation among his peers between

-> Best winning percentage rs and playoffs
-> Best wowy with potential to match in "snippets" as lurker liked to call them
-> Best proof of concept with multiple coaches/without co-stars(kareem)

And to be clear, i have hakeem as the best player of the period who Magic lost once to and beat twice. Magic also beat bird after he swept jordan and beat the pistons after they stopped jordan at or around his apex. Jordan beating him once in a context pretty similar to Wilt's 1967 triumph(with teammate injury/recent retirements being more prominent) is not that concerning when you were the one racking up more wins than everyone else. Perhaps if he isn't forced to retire, he goes 2-1 vs Jordan as well before a proper retirement in 94. As is, if we had seen magic's lakers trade for hakeem or bird in 92 and still lose, there would have been more cause for concern.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#94 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Narigo wrote:Who do you have higher all-time

So just for the record:

I'd say on any kind of actualized achievement of a list, I have Curry ahead, but often not by that much.

And West is a guy who is a huge "What if?" for me. I see his peak as the best offensive peak pre-80s, and I respect his defense a great deal. I think he accomplishes more with better fit and strategy with his team, neither of which are his fault.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#95 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:42 pm

I probably take Curry over West, but the emphasis on one winning more than the other is bugging me enough to throw some general thoughts out there.

Losing an NBA Finals Game 7 by a few points is equivalent to winning the championship. There is no meaningful difference. This may be true even in a closely contested 6 game series. There's only one trophy to award, so we frequently imagine a much bigger distinction between the champion and the other finalist than is warranted by an honest comparison of team quality and performance.

The NBA Playoffs are better designed than most knockout tournaments: you have to win a lot of games against a lot of teams to take home the trophy. But each series is still a limited sample prone to flukes and luck. We should be careful not to assign too much importance to the results of a playoff series, particularly a close one.

One alternative way of looking at playoff results is to max out the credit apportioned to all participants instead of giving all credit to the winner. A 1-4 Finals loss, for example, could be read as 13/16 of a championship. Each team's results are still skewed by flukes and luck, sure, but at least such an approach avoids the traps of assuming that the tournament fairly and definitively determined the best team or believing that the team with the trophy is somehow different in kind, rather than degree, from all the other entrants.

Also, it should (but sadly cannot) go without saying that winning games and championships are team accomplishments. I thought the whole point of CORP analysis was to quantify only the individual player's contributions towards winning. To the extent we believe in the value of this approach, should it not replace ring-counting entirely when discussing player (and not team) achievement?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,741

Post#96 » by KembaWalker » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:59 pm

So Curry essentially won a championship in 2016? Cool
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:00 pm

KembaWalker wrote:So Curry essentially won a championship in 2016? Cool

In my view, yes.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

ShaqAttac
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#98 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:00 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:what is even wests arg? curry more rings more mvps and big wowy and rapm. even won without a superteam. west made superteam and only won once

West has the longevity argument over curry. Curry only has 4 All nba 1st team selections. And this season curry is having his worst season since 2010

good point tbh
ShaqAttac
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#99 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:02 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:

In my view, yes.

u said team matters tho. stephs team was winning series when he was injured and draymond outplayed him in the finals anyway
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:21 am

ShaqAttac wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:

In my view, yes.

u said team matters tho. stephs team was winning series when he was injured and draymond outplayed him in the finals anyway

I was mostly replying to the apparent attempted "gotcha." Curry deserves credit for what he did to help put the Warriors in a position to win or lose a close game seven to an elite opponent. A few points either way don't mean that much to me. If somebody is ring-counting and wants to throw another in Curry's column... fine?

But yes, you're right: teams, not players, win championships. So it's not altogether very important to me to say whether Curry has 4 or 5 or 6 or no rings. I think that's easier to let go of when taking an approach to (teams) winning or not winning championships such as I suggest above.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Return to Player Comparisons