Total votes: 78

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Re: Jerry West vs Stephen Curry 

Post#41 » by 70sFan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:13 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
70sFan wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:what a statue got to do with anything. how west as good when steph wins more and wins with worse team and has more mvps.

What do you mean by that? I don't think any Curry title team was weaker than West non-title teams and even if you want to push 2022 hard, then Curry faced relatively weak competition that year because of injuries.

you saying the 15 and 22 dubs were less stacked than the 69 lakers? werent the 22 dubs like average without steph?

ig ur right about comp but if russ is still too hard to beat when hes his own coach and his help aint special, idk how we can say west was as likely to win a chip in his era as steph was in his.

Yes, 2015 Warriors are definitely a better team than 1969 Lakers. 2022 is arguable, but again they didn't face comparable competition.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#42 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:25 pm

KembaWalker wrote:1-8 in the 60s gets you a “Mr Clutch” moniker whilst Curry still gets hate here for not coming through in 16 and 19

Jerry West gets heavily boosted around here for his post playing career and team building.

Curry clears Mr. 1-8 easily

West almost always came to play:

Read on Twitter

- West endured 8 Finals Losses.
- 4 of those 8 losses came down to final Game 7.
- West averaged 32/5/5 on 47% FG in Finals Series losses.
- West averaged 35/5/9 in n 47% FG in those Game 7 Finals losses
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,747

Post#43 » by KembaWalker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:05 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:1-8 in the 60s gets you a “Mr Clutch” moniker whilst Curry still gets hate here for not coming through in 16 and 19

Jerry West gets heavily boosted around here for his post playing career and team building.

Read on Twitter

Seems like a few more buckets when it counted and he could be in the conversation with Curry, or at least earned his nickname
70sFan
RealGM

Post#44 » by 70sFan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

Read on Twitter

Seems like a few more buckets when it counted and he could be in the conversation with Curry, or at least earned his nickname

He should have averaged 40 ppg in these games, what a loser.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#45 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 am

Yeah, clearly if your team loses in a team sport you can't be clutch.

If anything the fact that he is called Mr.Clutch despite not having many rings shows that they were not over obsessed with this ring narrative. That didn't become a thing until the 90s.

What's next, Reggie Miller wasn't clutch because he had 0 rings?
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,747

Post#46 » by KembaWalker » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:03 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Yeah, clearly if your team loses in a team sport you can't be clutch.

If anything the fact that he is called Mr.Clutch despite not having many rings shows that they were not over obsessed with this ring narrative. That didn't become a thing until the 90s.

What's next, Reggie Miller wasn't clutch because he had 0 rings?

I mean, if Reggie Miller was making half a dozen Finals game 7s and failing to close the deal I do think that would damage his reputation. Might as well call Tracy McGrady Mr. 2nd Round or Shaq Mr Accurate FT Shooter

The nickname thing isn’t really that relevant to the point but yeah, this comparison is an insult to Curry and that will be obvious to anyone in 20 years when all y’all’s irrelevant biased qualms and nitpicks about the guy that you don’t have toward West cause he played over half a century ago are forgotten
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#47 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:15 pm

So under your Reggie Miller scenario, if he won more and made the finals then didn't win them he would be LESS clutch than if he never made the finals?

Or maybe, West and Miller have a clutch reputation because they performed really well individually in big playoff games even when their teams didn't always do so.

I love both players and am not weighing in on the comparison directly but the idea that playing well and still having your team lose makes you a choke artist isn't accurate.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#48 » by 70sFan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:27 pm

Don't bother, we do have all four finals g7 losses and West played incredible in all but one. Kemba never any of these, he just goes with results.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#49 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:32 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
I mean, if Reggie Miller was making half a dozen Finals game 7s and failing to close the deal I do think that would damage his reputation. Might as well call Tracy McGrady Mr. 2nd Round or Shaq Mr Accurate FT Shooter

The nickname thing isn’t really that relevant to the point but yeah, this comparison is an insult to Curry and that will be obvious to anyone in 20 years when all y’all’s irrelevant biased qualms and nitpicks about the guy that you don’t have toward West cause he played over half a century ago are forgotten

Now imagine how different your opinion of Steph might be had KD not joined his team or if Wilt hadn't gotten injured in 69 and the Lakers win it all in 69&70.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,849

Post#50 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

70sFan wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
70sFan wrote:What do you mean by that? I don't think any Curry title team was weaker than West non-title teams and even if you want to push 2022 hard, then Curry faced relatively weak competition that year because of injuries.

you saying the 15 and 22 dubs were less stacked than the 69 lakers? werent the 22 dubs like average without steph?

ig ur right about comp but if russ is still too hard to beat when hes his own coach and his help aint special, idk how we can say west was as likely to win a chip in his era as steph was in his.

Yes, 2015 Warriors are definitely a better team than 1969 Lakers. 2022 is arguable, but again they didn't face comparable competition.

The 69 Celtics were probably a more talented supporting cast than either. Them being a better "team" regardless doesn't reflect well on West here. If you attribute that to fit, despite the fact the 2nd best player on the team got a big chunk of their value in a way with basically zero diminishing returns with west's skillset, then that begs the question what similarly talented team you can build around steph which fails in a similar way because he didn't fit as well.

Steph just offers much more value as a playmaker than west does, his scoring comes from a spot which doesn't overlap as much with other premier scorers(especially bigs), and the defensive defecit may not even be a notable disadvantage on a team with that level of talent barring horrific roster construction(alot worse than the 69 lakers).

People are making this alot more complicated than necessary I think. If you are truly respecting era-relativity, then you have to consider that guards were just not nearly as valuable in the 60's as they are now and centers were the opposite. West has only won when paired with the other great center of the period, after the best player of his era(who in most scenarios he is going to have to beat to win a ring) retired, with the next best player's best teammate massively hampered(and they possibly lose anyway without a injury-induced home-court advantage considering they were significantly outscored in their win). 

I don't really see how you can get to prime west having as good per season championship likelihood as prime steph if we're being practical with out analysis. If steph curry got a two-way big who is a top 2 player of the era(giannis, embid, ect) no one would be saying "the team was not as good" justify not top-tier rs performance or not sealing the deal on one of the weakest scenarios the player you'd likely have to beat most if not nearly all years would be in.

Maybe if you just go by m.o.v, these are two comparable players, but if you are thinking in terms of contribution towards championships, curry is clearly advantaged
70sFan wrote:Don't bother, we do have all four finals g7 losses and West played incredible in all but one. Kemba never any of these, he just goes with results.

West can play incredible and not be as valuable as Steph while playing incredible. That is why we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals(steph's primary advantage would be creative so...not sure what that's supposed to prove) or a statue(Steph is the more decorated player as well so again, what is the point?). Persistently shifting the debate from steph vs west to "did jerry west play well when he lost" speaks to a pretty weak case, even respecting era-relativity.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

Now imagine how different your opinion of Steph might be had KD not joined his team or if Wilt hadn't gotten injured in 69 and the Lakers win it all in 69&70.

So steph till picks up 2 rings as the best player while west picks up 1 as the best player and 1 as a shell of himself?

You are not helping your argument. If the negative variance scenario comes out with steph looking just as good if not better, then this helps steph's argument, not west's.

It's a bit like people running the what-if with russell where he loses all his game 7's and...still comes out as one of the most successful players ever.

And of course, variance can swing the other way too. What if oscar isn't injured and the bucks(who posted a higher srs than they did in 71) smoke the lakers with home-court. Well now west is ringless despite the lakers doing the proto version of kd joining the warriors.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#51 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:47 pm

OhayoKD wrote:So steph till picks up 2 rings as the best player while west picks up 1 as the best player and 1 as a shell of himself?

You are not helping your argument. If the negative variance scenario comes out with steph looking just as good, then this helps steph's argument, not west's

No, I don't agree it would be the same. I don't really have an argument to make so much as I am pushing back on the narratives that KembaWalker is drawing here. If West wins 3 rings to Steph's 2 I don't think he would be making the same arguments of Steph being like miles ahead of him. On top of West being generally a better playoff performer.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#52 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:51 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:you saying the 15 and 22 dubs were less stacked than the 69 lakers? werent the 22 dubs like average without steph?

The 69 Celtics were probably a more talented supporting cast than either. Them being a better "team" regardless doesn't reflect well on West here. If you attribute that to fit, despite the fact the 2nd best player on the team got a big chunk of their value in a way with basically zero diminishing returns with west's skillset, then that begs the question what similarly talented team you can build around steph which fails in a similar way because he didn't fit as well.

Steph just offers much more value as a playmaker than west does, his scoring comes from a spot which doesn't overlap as much with other premier scorers(especially bigs), and the defensive defecit may not even be a notable disadvantage on a team with that level of talent barring horrific roster construction(alot worse than the 69 lakers).

People are making this alot more complicated than necessary I think. If you are truly respecting era-relativity, then you have to consider that guards were just not nearly as valuable in the 60's as they are now and centers were the opposite. West has only won when paired with the other great center of the period, after the best player of his era(who in most scenarios he is going to have to beat to win a ring) retired, with the next best player's best teammate massively hampered(and they possibly lose anyway without a injury-induced home-court advantage considering they were significantly outscored in their win). 

I don't really see how you can get to prime west having as good per season championship likelihood as prime steph if we're being practical with out analysis. If steph curry got a two-way big who is a top 2 player of the era(giannis, embid, ect) no one would be saying "the team was not as good" justify not top-tier rs performance or not sealing the deal on one of the weakest scenarios the player you'd likely have to beat most if not nearly all years would be in.

Maybe if you just go by m.o.v, these are two comparable players, but if you are thinking in terms of contribution towards championships, curry is clearly advantaged
70sFan wrote:Don't bother, we do have all four finals g7 losses and West played incredible in all but one. Kemba never any of these, he just goes with results.

West can play incredible and not be as valuable as Steph while playing incredible. That is why we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals(steph's primary advantage would be creative so...not sure what that's supposed to prove) or a statue(Steph is the more decorated player as well so again, what is the point?). Persistently shifting the debate from steph vs west to "did jerry west play well when he lost" speaks to a pretty weak case, even respecting era-relativity.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

So steph till picks up 2 rings as the best player while west picks up 1 as the best player and 1 as a shell of himself?

You are not helping your argument. If the negative variance scenario comes out with steph looking just as good, then this helps steph's argument, not west's

69 may have been the weakest team of the dynasty era, certainly in the weaker half. Cousy and KC were gone replaced by waiver wire acquisition Larry Siegfriend, Emmett Bryant was a truly mediocre 2 guard though they still had the aging Sam Jones behind him and Havlicek swung back to guard at times, and Russell was at his statistical weakest. Havlicek at his best, Bailey Howell was effective, and Don Nelson was a solid offensive player off the bench but overall, not a deep team and the guard play was clearly below league average.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:59 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:So steph till picks up 2 rings as the best player while west picks up 1 as the best player and 1 as a shell of himself?

No, I don't agree it would be the same. I don't really have an argument to make so much as I am pushing back on the narratives that KembaWalker is drawing here. If West wins 3 rings to Steph's 2 I don't think he would be making the same arguments of Steph being like miles ahead of him.
On top of West being generally a better playoff performer.

So if things go west's way he's not making the same argument? Cool. How about the similarly viable alternative where Steph wins in 2016 and 2019 too and now Steph has a 5 peat. Your argument is things were close to not happening, the problem is that can be applied both ways. Reality is more things have to break for west than Steph to get their title-count the same, suggesting pretty strongly, the "generally better playoff performer" isn't actually generally better.

It's also especially weak to use "what if kd didn't join" when West spent several years of his prime with a better player than kevin durant after his team made a similar move to what the warriors did. And then there is the matter of Jerry West getting to duck the best team in the league until he reached the finals over and over and over again. In fact in 67, 68 and 69 it can be argued the best two actual teams were both in the opposite conference.

Jerry West has a massive deficit in success to account for, and plenty of things broke his way in his career. You just aren't bothering to analyze this beyond how many points west scored, but if that was all it took to decide who "performed better' in the playoffs, it would be west with all the championships, not Bill Russell.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:14 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
70sFan wrote:Yes, 2015 Warriors are definitely a better team than 1969 Lakers. 2022 is arguable, but again they didn't face comparable competition.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:

69 may have been the weakest team of the dynasty era, certainly in the weaker half. Cousy and KC were gone replaced by waiver wire acquisition Larry Siegfriend, Emmett Bryant was a truly mediocre 2 guard though they still had the aging Sam Jones behind him and Havlicek swung back to guard at times, and Russell was at his statistical weakest. Havlicek at his best, Bailey Howell was effective, and Don Nelson was a solid offensive player off the bench but overall, not a deep team and the guard play was clearly below league average.

I mean it was the weakest on paper I think. But I'll avoid saying they were the outright weakest because they had one of the most impressive gauntlet runs in history including a Knicks side which with an era-relative frame looks like one of toughest playoff opponents ever(league-srs leader, next year's champion, two title and 3 final core)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#55 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm

OhayoKD wrote:So if things go west's way he's not making the same argument? Cool. How about the similarly viable alternative where Steph wins in 2016 and 2019 too and now Steph has a 5 peat. Your argument is things were close to not happening, the problem is that can be applied both ways. Reality is more things have to break for west than Steph to get their title-count the same, suggesting pretty strongly, the "generally better playoff performer" isn't actually generally better.

It's also especially weak to use "what if kd didn't join" when West spent several years of his prime with a better player than kevin durant after his team made a similar move to what the warriors did. And then there is the matter of Jerry West getting to duck the best team in the league until he reached the finals over and over and over again. In fact in 67, 68 and 69 it can be argued the best two actual teams were both in the opposite conference.

Jerry West has a massive deficit in success to account for, and plenty of things broke his way in his career. You just aren't bothering to analyze this beyond how many points west scored, but if that was all it took to decide who "performed better' in the playoffs, it would be west with all the championships, not Bill Russell.

That's what I am saying here is are we arguing from titles backwards? I'm not using a hypothetical to put West ahead, I'm posing the question to ask Kemba whether he'd still have Steph as being so far ahead of West had either thing I mentioned happened. I understand things can go both ways but I also wouldn't agree that things generally broke West's way when it comes to team success.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#56 » by 70sFan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:32 pm

OhayoKD wrote:The 69 Celtics were probably a more talented supporting cast than either. Them being a better "team" regardless doesn't reflect well on West here.

You probably mean Lakers, not Celtics.

Yeah, I don't agree. The Lakers were extremely shallow team in 1969. Outside of West and Wilt, they had Baylor who basically run strictly on his reputation at this point and very mediocre roleplayers. Egan, Erickson and Counts were all below average starting level players who provided little value and their 4th best player (Tommy Hawkins) played injured in the playoffs.

2015 Warriors were miles ahead of 1969 Lakers in terms of roster talent. 2022 are closer, but they were certainly a better built and deeper team.

If you attribute that to fit, despite the fact the 2nd best player on the team got a big chunk of their value in a way with basically zero diminishing returns with west's skillset, then that begs the question what similarly talented team you can build around steph which fails in a similar way because he didn't fit as well.

It's not West and Wilt fit, it's Baylor who hurt Lakers a lot in the playoffs. Curry wouldn't fit well with Baylor either, because Elgin simply played poorly in these playoffs.

Steph just offers much more value as a playmaker than west does,

Steph's playmaking value would be massively diminished by the lack of three point line, so it doesn't say much about West limitations (he was probably the best or 2nd best playmaker in the league that season), but it says more about era differences.

his scoring comes from a spot which doesn't overlap as much with other premier scorers(especially bigs),

A spot that had basically no value in the 1960s.

and the defensive defecit may not even be a notable disadvantage on a team with that level of talent barring horrific roster construction(alot worse than the 69 lakers).

What level of talent? Lakers were not talented outside of Wilt. That was the way they got Wilt in the first place - they lost their whole depth.

OK, but then you can say that Curry only beat the best player of his era when either he played with significantly better teams or when he aged out. I don't argue that West was more valuable than Russell, but Curry wasn't more valuable than the best player of his era either. Overall, I don't see your point.

I see a lot of scenarios when Curry-Giannis pairing wouldn't give you any titles, because roster construction doesn't end at top 2 players, which you seem to ignore. It's not the same, but we see now how Lillard-Giannis pairing move the Bucks nowhere and it's far from the worst possible situation. Of course Curry is much better than Lillard, but circumstances could be much worse as well.

West can play incredible and not be as valuable as Steph while playing incredible. That is why we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals(steph's primary advantage would be creative so...not sure what that's supposed to prove) or a statue(Steph is the more decorated player as well so again, what is the point?).

It's the first time I've ever seen someone accusing me of looking strictly at scoring performance. It's even more bizarre that I have not mentioned any scoring stats in this discussion either. I'm not sure I'll waste more of my time on such baseless discussions.

Persistently shifting the debate from steph vs west to "did jerry west play well when he lost" speaks to a pretty weak case, even respecting era-relativity.

I didn't present any case for West here, I'm pointing out how weak the argumentation provided for Curry is. I could provide many arguments that back up the view of West as Curry-peer in terms of impact, but I won't bother because you already decided in what you believe.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

Yeah, so with an era-relative lens...
Steph just offers much more value as a playmaker than west does,

Steph's playmaking value would be massively diminished by the lack of three point line, so it doesn't say much about West limitations (he was probably the best or 2nd best playmaker in the league that season), but it says more about era differences.

This doesn't really matter.
his scoring comes from a spot which doesn't overlap as much with other premier scorers(especially bigs),

A spot that had basically no value in the 1960s.

Or this.
OK, but then you can say that Curry only beat the best player of his era when either he played with significantly better teams or when he aged out. I don't argue that West was more valuable than Russell, but Curry wasn't more valuable than the best player of his era either. Overall, I don't see your point.

Yeah but there are alot of differences this summary is excluding:

-> Curry actually beat Lebron, three times, twice emphatically.
-> Curry may never have been the best player of a time period, but he was a very strong case as the second most valuable for at least a 5-10 year period(granted there were plenty of fluctuations)
-> West was not even the 2nd most valuable of the era as he pretty much out of Wilt's range with the exception of when there was some off-court drama or injury leading to a down-year
-> West was not even clearly the 3rd most valuable player of the era
-> Russell was even more valuable individually than Lebron was
-> In the 60's you could not avoid the best players of your era to the extent you can in the 10's(allowing steph to bypass lebron entirely for a championship). So West not being russell is a bigger deal. If Russ is not on a terrible cast, you're almost certainly going to have to go through him for a title.
-> The fall off in player quality between your top four and everyone else is much bigger in the 60's which means its harder to overwhelm the better players with help

Basically that leaves 2 players in a league variance is nowhere near as large of a potential equalizer(3-point shot) west either will likely
-> need better help to beat
-> need to have a down year

and a 3rd player where it goes either way unless one of the first two conditions are met and there's one player who basically doesn't have down years anyway.

West actually got very lucky he played in the west because many of his team's best years saw the other three of the big four either on his team or in the other conference. It would probably be alot more apparent how much less he stands out as a championship generator if he had to deal with two of the four consistently as opposed to just one. You could argue for 3 straight years featuring some of west's best teams, the two best teams in the league were in the opposite conference.

West can play incredible and not be as valuable as Steph while playing incredible. That is why we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals(steph's primary advantage would be creative so...not sure what that's supposed to prove) or a statue(Steph is the more decorated player as well so again, what is the point?).

It's the first time I've ever seen someone accusing me of looking strictly at scoring performance. It's even more bizarre that I have not mentioned any scoring stats in this discussion either. I'm not sure I'll waste more of my time on such baseless discussions.

I never said you did.

Persistently shifting the debate from steph vs west to "did jerry west play well when he lost" speaks to a pretty weak case, even respecting era-relativity.

I didn't present any case for West here, I'm pointing out how weak the argumentation provided for Curry is. I could provide many arguments that back up the view of West as Curry-peer in terms of impact, but I won't bother because you already decided in what you believe.
Feel free to. I'll put a pin in the supporting cast stuff for if/when you do.
DraymondGold
Senior
And1: 647

Post#58 » by DraymondGold » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:59 pm

I'm probably higher on both Curry and West than the average poster here. Both were really great players!

I'm not looking to wade into many of the debates in this thread, but since people have been discussing West's championships, I thought I would share. I've gained a greater appreciation for West, particularly as people shared some more of this playoff context around the time of the recent top 100 project.

~Jerry West What Ifs~
Jerry West was 10 points away from being a 5 time NBA champion.

1962 NBA Finals: Game 7, lost in overtime by 3, tied in regulation. 1 more point in regulation would have won it.
Box Score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/196204180BOS.html
Film:
[url][/url]
Film of teammate's missed buzzer beater:
[url][/url]
-> West’s teammate misses the relatively open go ahead shot to win in regulation at the buzzer.
-> Elgin Baylor, and supporting cast Rudy LaRusso and Ray Felix each missed 1 more FT than expected based on their regular season FT%.
If you change just 1 shot from West's teammate, with West playing the exact same, he ends up disrupting the Celtics' 8-peat, during Russell's peak years, possibly as the Lakers' best player.

1966 NBA finals: game 7, lost by 2.
Box Score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/196604280BOS.html
Film: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4b5u4s/jerry_west_refusing_to_quit_in_final_30_seconds/
-> With the Celtics up 10 with 30 seconds remaining, West led a 8-0 run (!) to bring it within 2, including scoring 4 points himself, assisting 2 points, boxing out Bill Russell on the other 2 points, and stealing the ball directly from Bill Russell.
in the final 30 seconds to almost steal the game and the championship
-> West missed ~2 more FTs than expected, Walt Hazzard missed ~1 more FT than expected, Jim King missed 1 more FT than expected.

1969: Game 4, lost 1 point point.
Box Score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/196904290BOS.html
Last shot film:
https://youtu.be/JWqz1ZyK3M4?si=uE2SBxzHpv7da79I
-> Game 4: Wilt missed 2 more free throws than expected. Baylor missed 3 more free throws than expected.
-> Game 4: Lakers were up 1 with 7 seconds left and had possession, but Elgin stepped out of bounds on a close call and committed a turnover. Bill Russell gets subbed out and Sam Jones hits a game winner with 1 second left (https://youtu.be/JWqz1ZyK3M4?si=uE2SBxzHpv7da79I).
1969: Game 7, lost by 2 points.
Box Score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/196905050LAL.html
4th Quarter film:
[url][/url]
-> Game 7: Wilt injured his knee for the end of the game, although the Lakers’ run did happen without Wilt. West pulled his hamstring at the end of Game 5, and the Celtics won game 6 by 9 and game 7 by 2. In the final 5 minutes, West led a 12-5 run to bring it within 2.
-> Game 7: Wilt missed 2 more free throws than expected. Bench player Johnny Egan missed 2 more free throws than expected.

1970: Game 7, lost by 14; but lost game 3 by 3 points.
Box score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197004290LAL.html
Film of last regulation shot:
[url][/url]
-> At the end of game 3, West hits a 3/4 quarter shot to tie the game and send it to overtime.
-> West missed 1 more FT than expected. Wilt was famously injured for most of the 1970 season, and had clearly diminished mobility when he returned.

So: 10 more points, and West would have won 4 more championships and been a 5 time champion.

Teammates: If West’s teammates who underperformed at the foul line in these Game 7s just shot their season average, West would have 2 more rings (1962, 1969) and would have gone to Game 7 OT in 1966.. That’s 2-3 more rings from his teammates’ missed foul shots alone. West's teammate missed a buzzer beater to win one game 7 in regulation (1962); in a close game 4, West's teammate stepped out of bounds and turned the ball over with 7 seconds left, which allowed an opponent to hit a buzzer beater to prevent the Lakers from going up 3-1 (1969).

West's performance: In 1966 Game 7, West leads an 8-0 run with 30 seconds left to bring it within 2. In 1969 Game 7, West led a 12-5 run in the final 5 minutes to bring it within 2. In 1970 Game 4, West hit a 3/4 court shot to send the game to overtime.

These are obviously just individual moments and small stats. I think the "clutch gene" and ringz and whatnot is fairly overrated when evaluating individual players. But putting that aside, I don't really see how an argument that West doesn't have the clutch gene or that he doesn't have enough rings is fair. It just seems to be missing all the context. Looking across all West's playoff runs and the (available) film and stats, I have a hard time criticizing West for not doing better in the playoffs. He's an all-time playoff performer :D
70sFan
RealGM

Post#59 » by 70sFan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 pm

OhayoKD wrote:-> Curry actually beat Lebron, three times, twice emphatically.

While having significantly better team than him, all three times.

West never had a significantly better team than Russell.

-> Curry may never have been the best player of a time period, but he was a very strong case as the second most valuable for at least a 5-10 year period(granted there were plenty of fluctuations)
-> West was not even the 2nd most valuable of the era as he pretty much out of Wilt's range with the exception of when there was some off-court drama or injury leading to a down-year
-> West was not even clearly the 3rd most valuable player of the era

West has a very strong case for the 2nd most valuable player of his era, especially by your way of doing these things. He's one of the most impressive players ever in WOWY analysis, you just ignore it for some reason. I have Wilt ahead of West, but West looks clearly better in WOWY analysis than him.

-> Russell was even more valuable individually than Lebron was

And?

-> In the 60's you could not avoid the best players of your era to the extent you can in the 10's(allowing steph to bypass lebron entirely for a championship). So West not being russell is a bigger deal. If Russ is not on a terrible cast, you're almost certainly going to have to go through him for a title.

Even if we assume it's true, it doesn't mean that West is less valuable because of that. That's very naive way of looking at CORP evaluation.

-> The fall off in player quality between your top four and everyone else is much bigger in the 60's which means its harder to overwhelm the better players with help

I don't think that's a fact, it's your opinion.

West actually got very lucky he played in the west because many of his team's best years saw the other three of the big four either on his team or in the other conference. It would probably be alot more apparent how much less he stands out as a championship generator if he had to deal with two of the four consistently as opposed to just one. You could argue for 3 straight years featuring some of west's best teams, the two best teams in the league were in the opposite conference.

West pushing Celtics to their limits in ECF instead of the Finals wouldn't change anything in my evaluation of his career.

It's funny you never mention this argument in Bird vs Magic discussions by the way, you are very selective depending on your aim.

I never said you did.

" we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals"

Yeah right...
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 pm

You've stopped arguing in good-faith so let's wrap this up
Even if we assume it's true, it doesn't mean that West is less valuable because of that. That's very naive way of looking at CORP evaluation.

It is a point against West yes. It's not implied it's the sole factor anywhere so we're yapping I guess.
70sFan wrote:cs to their limits in ECF instead of the Finals wouldn't change anything in my evaluation of his career.

It's funny you never mention this argument in Bird vs Magic discussions by the way, you are very selective depending on your aim.

It's almost like Magic repeatedly beating Bird makes a big difference...
I never said you did.

" we have to also look at the results rather than handwave them because of point-totals"
Yeah right...

Yeah, right, you drew an inference from thin-air. And that's my fault.

If you're going to put words in my mouth to pretend you're being strawmanned, discuss this with someone else.

Return to Player Comparisons