BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Re: Jerry West vs Stephen Curry 

Post#2 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:58 am

I have West like 1-2 spots higher due to his defense and playoff lift.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,428

Post#3 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:35 am

I personally have Curry higher.

But it's hard to compare players from the 60s/70s to now.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,887

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I have West like 1-2 spots higher due to his defense.

Do you expect that to change this year or next year, assuming Curry keeps pilling up prime seasons?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,392

Post#5 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:42 pm

I had West a few spots higher 2 seasons ago, but Curry has leafrogged him since, in terms of stacking MVP-level seasons.

I think Curry's stacking might be over though. He probably has a few more all-star seasons left if health permits. Unless he has another surprise playoff run in him, I think he might be done climbing the all-time rankings.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I had West a few spots higher 2 seasons ago, but Curry has leafrogged him since, in terms of stacking MVP-level seasons.

I think Curry's stacking might be over though. He probably has a few more all-star seasons left if health permits. Unless he has another surprise playoff run in him, I think he might be done climbing the all-time rankings.

Do you think Curry was MVP-level last year?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,861

Post#7 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

It's a really tough one at this point and probably depends on if you value regular season peak or play-off consistency more. I kind of flipflop between who I prefer between them and Oscar for the 2nd best PG and I doubt Curry will be able to leave them in the dust by the end of his career considering he's turning 36 tomorrow and is on a pretty noticeable decline (might not even be an All-NBA player this season although I doubt he'll miss it altogether).
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#8 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:00 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Do you expect that to change this year or next year, assuming Curry keeps pilling up prime seasons?

Yes most likely. If Steph has one more high level(like top 10-12) season I'd probably put him ahead of Jerry. It's already very close.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,392

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:05 pm

70sFan wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:I had West a few spots higher 2 seasons ago, but Curry has leafrogged him since, in terms of stacking MVP-level seasons.

I guess not quite overall.
It was an up and down season. He piled up some really efficient points but fell a little short of his prime level. Ultimately, he only played 56 games. Up and down kept up in the postseason where he looked like an MVP in round 1 and then fell back to earth against a stronger defense in round 2. I had him vaguely at weak MVP-level in 2023, but with only 56 games I think it's fair to question if he was even that.

I think with the 2022 title run, and then not falling off apart completely in the seasons after, somewhere in there I became convinced to nudge him above West. I have them 11th and 13th on my little list.

I'm a bigger fan of West's game just because I'm a fan of versatility, defense, and passing more than raw scoring.

Do you have West and Oscar still above Steph?
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Post#10 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:15 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
70sFan wrote:

I guess not quite overall.
It was an up and down season. He piled up some really efficient points but fell a little short of his prime level. Ultimately, he only played 56 games. Up and down kept up in the postseason where he looked like an MVP in round 1 and then fell back to earth against a stronger defense in round 2. I had him vaguely at weak MVP-level in 2023, but with only 56 games I think it's fair to question if he was even that.

I think with the 2022 title run, and then not falling off apart completely in the seasons after, somewhere in there I became convinced to nudge him above West. I have them 11th and 13th on my little list.

I'm a bigger fan of West's game just because I'm a fan of versatility, defense, and passing more than raw scoring.

Do you have West and Oscar still above Steph?

I agree regarding 2023 - I went even harsher on that season due to missed games and I value it as a solid all-nba season.

I still have Oscar ahead of Curry (by like one spot - #12 vs #13), but Steph surpassed West last season on my list. I use CORP-like methodology and West is hurt by missed games (so is Curry to some degree), while Oscar being an ironman for a decade, while playing at comparable level to these two, gives him the edge.

After this season, Curry and Oscar will be basically tied on my list, so it's just a matter of preference at this point and I may give Steph edge for postseason success. Curry still has a shot at top 10 against Magic, but I doubt he'd ever reach my 9th guy (Garnett).
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#11 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:20 pm

I have Curry just ahead at 12th all time with Oscar/West as a tossup right after him.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,552

Post#12 » by One_and_Done » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:15 pm

Curry. Not even close.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#13 » by CumberlandPosey » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:23 pm

Tied for me.no clear separation to put one above the other.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,244

Post#14 » by SNPA » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 am

West was a bad man for a long time. Curry is lethal. It’s close. I lean West. Both still outside the top ten. Both over Kobe though.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#15 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 am

SNPA wrote:West was a bad man for a long time. Curry is lethal. It’s close. I lean West. Both still outside the top ten. Both over Kobe though.

What does Kobe have to do with anything?
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#16 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:43 pm

When two guys have similar box score profile and we don’t have impact data for one of them due to the era they played in, at some point you have to look at whether their team got it done in the playoffs. Here are the career playoff records for both by series:

Curry: 23-5
West: 16-12

That’s a pretty dramatic gap. Now add in that we know Steph’s gravity and off-ball movement are able to create outlier impact even relative to his impressive box numbers. I think our default assumption with West has to be that it if he was providing a similar kind of impact, his teams would have won more. Not saying it’s impossible that West provided that kind of value and just faced bad luck in key moments, but I do think the playoff success gives this to Curry pretty easily.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:20 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:When two guys have similar box score profile and we don’t have impact data for one of them due to the era they played in, at some point you have to look at whether their team got it done in the playoffs. Here are the career playoff records for both by series:

That’s a pretty dramatic gap. Now add in that we know Steph’s gravity and off-ball movement are able to create outlier impact even relative to his impressive box numbers. I think our default assumption with West has to be that it if he was providing a similar kind of impact, his teams would have won more. Not saying it’s impossible that West provided that kind of value and just faced bad luck in key moments, but I do think the playoff success gives this to Curry pretty easily.

That's really lazy. It's not a 1 vs 1 game, so I have no idea how you think you can default to this type of comparison.

With all the variables that goes into basketball I do not understand how our "default assumption" is that if West was as good as Curry, his team would win more. That doesn't make sense.

Not only does it take into account literally zero analysis of a single series mentioned, it does not even mention how the Lakers also had byes so they are not getting credit for eliminating the lowest seed. Now, I figure that we will say "well, even if you give them 6 wins or so they still have a worse record"

But the fact that even in this heavily flawed analysis you have already overlooked that something as simple as byes exist highlight why this is such a poor way to think about the game.

I actually do not get how you arrived that this "has" to be the way you compare them. I mean if you were in middle school, wouldn't that be how you would compare them? Does 12 year old iggymcfrack have the same analytical ability at 2024 iggymcfrack or can he do better?
ShaqAttac
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#18 » by ShaqAttac » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:23 pm

what is even wests arg? curry more rings more mvps and big wowy and rapm. even won without a superteam. west made superteam and only won once
ShaqAttac
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#19 » by ShaqAttac » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:24 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:When two guys have similar box score profile and we don’t have impact data for one of them due to the era they played in, at some point you have to look at whether their team got it done in the playoffs. Here are the career playoff records for both by series:

That's really lazy. It's not a 1 vs 1 game, so I have no idea how you think you can default to this type of comparison.

With all the variables that goes into basketball I do not understand how our "default assumption" is that if West was as good as Curry, his team would win more. That doesn't make sense.

west lost with a superteam tho
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:26 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

west lost with a superteam tho

I don't see how that is relevant, but so has Curry. And Lebron James. And Shaq. And Kobe Bryant. And Larry Bird. And Dr.J. And Wilt Chamberlain. And many others.

Return to Player Comparisons