Brunson v Curry

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,268

Re: Brunson v Curry 

Post#21 » by trex_8063 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm

Laimbeer wrote:This came up on the Knicks/Warriors broadcast. At first I thought it was crazy, but Brunson has been so good this season.

Who is the better player now?

Yeah, based on sentiment their names sort of bring to mind, one wouldn't think this is a question. And I admit I perhaps hadn't paid enough attention to just how good Brunson has been this year. And Curry, while very good, isn't lighting the world on fire anymore (no harsh criticism in that: he's 35 after all).

I actually do think it's Brunson. Good on him.

I remember his dad, mostly from his days in Chicago (which is kinda weird, since he played <600 minutes TOTAL in a Bulls uniform, but that was the team I followed super-close at the time). Of course Rick Brunson was basically a scrub: only played a little over 4500 minutes in his entire career (barely scrapped out a career at all).

It got me wondering if there has ever been a father/son duo of NBA players with such a massive gap between how good they were. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head (though maybe LeBron and Bronny will end up with a bigger one???).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,757

Post#22 » by eminence » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:This came up on the Knicks/Warriors broadcast. At first I thought it was crazy, but Brunson has been so good this season.

Yeah, based on sentiment their names sort of bring to mind, one wouldn't think this is a question. And I admit I perhaps hadn't paid enough attention to just how good Brunson has been this year. And Curry, while very good, isn't lighting the world on fire anymore (no harsh criticism in that: he's 35 after all).

I remember his dad, mostly from his days in Chicago (which is kinda weird, since he played <600 minutes TOTAL in a Bulls uniform, but that was the team I followed super-close at the time). Of course Rick Brunson was basically a scrub: only played a little over 4500 minutes in his entire career (barely scrapped out a career at all).

It got me wondering if there has ever been a father/son duo of NBA players with such a massive gap between how good they were. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head (though maybe LeBron and Bronny will end up with a bigger one???).

George Mikan III (Larry)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mikanla01.html
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#23 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:02 pm

trex_8063 wrote:

Luke Walton and Bill Walton.

One is a Top 15 Peak ever, one started < 1/4 of his NBA Career and averaged 17 MPG.

Rick Barry and Jon/Drew Barry (I love me some Brent Barry though)

Kevin Love and Stan Love
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by trex_8063 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:34 pm

eminence wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:

George Mikan III (Larry)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mikanla01.html

Interesting; I wasn't even aware of his son.
There is some mud in the water, just with regards to the league of '71 being more integrated/competitive than in Mikan Sr.'s day. But even so, the gap in effectiveness is so massive that you're probably right.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by trex_8063 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:50 pm

Colbinii wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:Yeah, based on sentiment their names sort of bring to mind, one wouldn't think this is a question. And I admit I perhaps hadn't paid enough attention to just how good Brunson has been this year. And Curry, while very good, isn't lighting the world on fire anymore (no harsh criticism in that: he's 35 after all).

Luke Walton and Bill Walton.

One is a Top 15 Peak ever, one started < 1/4 of his NBA Career and averaged 17 MPG.

Rick Barry and Jon/Drew Barry (I love me some Brent Barry though)

Kevin Love and Stan Love

I would say no on the Barry's. Brent Barry was pretty good in his prime: solid starter-level player for at least a handful of years, arguably peaked at a lower-tier All-Star level (like around '02). Ultimately managed a 14-year career, playing more career minutes than a few players we've inducted in the top 100 project.
That's massively superior to Rick Brunson, and I don't think Rick Barry was THAT much better than Jalen Brunson, personally.
Even in a Rick/Jon comparison, I still might lean toward the gap being larger between the Brunson's.

The Love's I would give a maybe/probably. That is: almost assuredly a yes for CAREER, as Stan's was awfully short, and Kevin has been around and useful for forever now, has some jewelry, too.
For peak......idk, that's closer.

The Walton's.......yeah, for peak I would certainly agree. Although I suspect the gap in CAREER value will end up being larger with the Brunson's, as long as Jalen's career isn't totally derailed by a major injury.
Bill Walton's career was a flash, and also Luke wasn't as "scrubby" as Rick Brunson. He peaked as roughly a "league-average" player, but that's still notably better than Rick ever managed, and he played more than twice as many career minutes as Rick.

SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,336

Post#26 » by SpreeS » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 am

Brunson and Mitchell has better season than Curry. Nothing wrong here, he is 36y old. Kerr needs to understand that Curry offball game for this age, playing time and usage isn't the best solution. Curry is in TOP20 at avg speed on ofence (min 20min per game) and runed miles on offence...at 36y age...
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#27 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:24 am

With how everyone's talking about curry sounds he might not even be top 20 anymore
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life

Return to Player Comparisons