Brunson v Curry

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Brunson v Curry 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:27 pm

This came up on the Knicks/Warriors broadcast. At first I thought it was crazy, but Brunson has been so good this season.

Who is the better player now?
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Re: Brunson v Curry 

Post#2 » by GSP » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 pm

Brunson is better now and arguably since last season honestly specially when you factor playoffs hes a better playoff performer

Steph has been abysmal for a month and he hasnt been lighting up the league for the season as a whole anyways. Luka and Sga are on another tier from him. Brunson, Fox, Hali all could def be argued over him too just among Pgs
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,245

Post#3 » by SNPA » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:42 am

GSP wrote:Brunson is better now and arguably since last season honestly specially when you factor playoffs hes a better playoff performer

Steph has been abysmal for a month and he hasnt been lighting up the league for the season as a whole anyways. Luka and Sga are on another tier from him. Brunson, Fox, Hali all could def be argued over him too just among Pgs

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/pepe-frog
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#4 » by Coxy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:47 am

GSP wrote:Brunson is better now and arguably since last season honestly specially when you factor playoffs hes a better playoff performer

Brunson is a better playoff performer is he now? Fascinating. Thanks for letting us know.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#5 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:50 am

I'm fine with someone taking Brunson this year (Curry has dipped a bit even from last year) and if you meant he has performed better in last year's playoff – that's a reasonable stance, too (though up for debate). But I hope you did not mean that he is generally a better playoff performer (this is how it reads as currently phrased) because that would just be an absurd statement.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#6 » by Statlanta » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:28 am

I'm going to assume the idea that Brunson is a "better playoff performer" because Curry is a better player and just underperforms his high regular season bar.

Curry's high volatility shoot first playstyle leads to him having high variance in the playoffs much like James Harden.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
The-Power
General Manager

Post#7 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:02 am

Statlanta wrote:I'm going to assume the idea that Brunson is a "better playoff performer" because Curry is a better player and just underperforms his high regular season bar.

Most players have some kind of drop in the playoffs (better defenses, more scouting) and Curry is not a particularly noteworthy player in this regard. Taking this statement as true, however, it bears mentioning that it's way too early to have a verdict on Brunson as a playoff performer relative to his regular season performance – and that's all the more true for playoff performances as the main guy.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2,874

Post#8 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 am

Brunson has been better this season.

Brunson has never been even comparable to Curry at any point before this season.

Pretty simple.
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 923

Post#9 » by f4p » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:43 pm

The-Power wrote:
Statlanta wrote:I'm going to assume the idea that Brunson is a "better playoff performer" because Curry is a better player and just underperforms his high regular season bar.

Most players have some kind of drop in the playoffs (better defenses, more scouting) and Curry is not a particularly noteworthy player in this regard.

is harden noteworthy in this regard?

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Post#10 » by parsnips33 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:58 pm

SNPA wrote:

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/pepe-frog

Not really the offensive part of his post :lol:
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#11 » by XTC » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:33 pm

I mean Curry is a 36 year old on the downswing of his career, while Brunson is already a franchise point guard in his prime.

If we're talking point guards Curry barely squeaks into the top 10. If we're ranking point guards, I'd say the following guys are having better seasons than him (excluding Luka)

SGA
Fox
Brunson
Trae
Lillard
Haliburton
Kyrie
Maxey
Murray

At the present moment he's in a similiar tier to Murray and Maxey IMO, which is still amazing considering he's 36 years old. He just can't carry a team like he use to.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,951

Post#12 » by Woodsanity » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:07 pm

Curry has fallen off quite a lot so I think Brunson is better this season.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#13 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:11 pm

XTC wrote:I mean Curry is a 36 year old on the downswing of his career, while Brunson is already a franchise point guard in his prime.

If we're talking point guards Curry barely squeaks into the top 10. If we're ranking point guards, I'd say the following guys are having better seasons than him (excluding Luka)

SGA
Fox
Brunson
Trae
Lillard
Haliburton
Kyrie
Maxey
Murray

At the present moment he's in a similiar tier to Murray and Maxey IMO, which is still amazing considering he's 36 years old. He just can't carry a team like he use to.

How are Murray or Maxey having a better season? I would argue a few other guys, but those 2 stick out.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#14 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:34 pm

XTC wrote:I mean Curry is a 36 year old on the downswing of his career, while Brunson is already a franchise point guard in his prime.

SGA
Fox
Brunson
Trae
Lillard
Haliburton
Kyrie
Maxey
Murray

I think a lot of them are very debatable. Not the be-all and end-all, obviously, but here's how they stack up in EPM this season:

SGA +9.3

Haliburton +5.1
Brunson +4.9
Curry +4.7
Lillard +4.5

Fox +3.9
Irving +3.7
Maxey +3.6

Murray +3.0
Young +2.8

I think aside from SGA, Curry has an argument to still be as good as – or better than – all of the others. You can make reasonable cases for most of the others depending on your criteria (which also makes it difficult to have all of them ahead at the same time) but none of them are a tier ahead IMO. At least I don't see any argument for putting players like Irving and Lillard clearly ahead of Curry, and I struggle to see any argument for Trae at all to be honest. Others like Murray require assuming that his recent playoff performances continue because I don't see his case for being a better full-season player yet, while you'd also have to give Maxey the benefit of the doubt that his improvement this season carries over into the playoffs. The latter also applies to Haliburton who has achieved greater RS heights this season but is entirely unproven in the playoffs – and I certainly would not feel comfortable picking Haliburton over Curry for a postseason run this year.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#15 » by XTC » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:38 pm

The-Power wrote:

SGA
Fox
Brunson
Trae
Lillard
Haliburton
Kyrie
Maxey
Murray

I think a lot of them are very debatable. Not the be-all and end-all, obviously, but here's how they stack up in EPM this season:

SGA +9.3

Haliburton +5.1
Brunson +4.9
Curry +4.7
Lillard +4.5

Fox +3.9
Irving +3.7
Maxey +3.6

Murray +3.0
Young +2.8

I think aside from SGA, Curry has an argument to still be as good as – or better than – all of the others. You can make reasonable cases for most of the others depending on your criteria (which also makes it difficult to have all of them ahead at the same time) but none of them are a tier ahead IMO. At least I don't see any argument for putting players like Irving and Lillard clearly ahead of Curry, and I struggle to see any argument for Trae at all to be honest. Others like Murray require assuming that his recent playoff performances continue because I don't see his case for being a better full-season player yet, while you'd also have to give Maxey the benefit of the doubt that his improvement this season carries over into the playoffs. The latter also applies to Haliburton who has achieved greater RS heights this season but is entirely unproven in the playoffs – and I certainly would not feel comfortable picking Haliburton over Curry for a postseason run this year.

You nailed it.

Curry is 36 and it's hard for him to sustain his superstar form for 60+ games (same with Lebron), but if I need a player for a post season run I'd be hard pressed to take any guard over Steph. Curry can still go supernova for 20ish games.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#16 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm

f4p wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Most players have some kind of drop in the playoffs (better defenses, more scouting) and Curry is not a particularly noteworthy player in this regard.

Not sure why Harden enters the conversation but I'll bite: I'm generally finding myself defending Harden a lot these days against those who view him as a choker or not an elite offensive player. I do trust Curry and his approach more in a playoff setting but I don't think Harden is a prime example for a playoff underperformer, no.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#17 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:22 pm

f4p wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Why would harden be noteworthy?

His playoff drop is similar to Kobe.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,851

Post#18 » by OhayoKD » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 pm

Colbinii wrote:
f4p wrote:
The-Power wrote:Most players have some kind of drop in the playoffs (better defenses, more scouting) and Curry is not a particularly noteworthy player in this regard.

Defense is a thing
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
f4p wrote:

Defense is a thing

I think both improved defensively in the post-season.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#20 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:49 am

XTC wrote:
You nailed it.

Curry is 36 and it's hard for him to sustain his superstar form for 60+ games (same with Lebron), but if I need a player for a post season run I'd be hard pressed to take any guard over Steph. Curry can still go supernova for 20ish games.

Not so sure about that. I think he can prob give his team 2-3 very good playoff games in a 7 game series. I don't think he's going to go off the way he did in 2022.

Return to Player Comparisons