NBA's worst defender -- guards

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

NBA's worst defender -- guards 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm

Who is the NBA's absolute worst defender that plays a significant amount of guard?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,238

Re: NBA's worst defender -- guards 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:32 pm

My pick would be Anfernee Simons, but there are a lot of valid options here.
MiamiBulls
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#3 » by MiamiBulls » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:11 pm

Jordan Poole. His awareness on Defense is outright laughable. His inability to properly rotate makes him an absolute nuisance on Defense.

Collin Sexton & Trae Young are two of the worst Defenders in the NBA simply because they're just too small.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,729

Post#4 » by AussieBuck » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:30 pm

Probably a guy who is physically underwhelming and also not invested like Bones or Trae. Poole's not a bad guess either.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:02 pm

MiamiBulls wrote:Jordan Poole. His awareness on Defense is outright laughable. His inability to properly rotate makes him an absolute nuisance on Defense.

Collin Sexton & Trae Young are two of the worst Defenders in the NBA simply because they're just too small.

SIze is a handicap but when you talk to other guards of his era, Muggsy Bogues is generally mentioned as a good defender despite being the shortest guy to ever play in the league. You could shoot over him, but he was strong, quick, and an aggressive attacker of opponents dribbles (where being short gives an actual advantage). You can't be the worst defender in the league if you put in focused effort and understand the system.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,251

Post#6 » by Outside » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 am

I don't see enough teams to be definitive about it, but Trae is just awful. He gets steals but is otherwise horrendous.

Kyrie Irving used to die on screens almost every time. I don't know if he's improved with that.

From what I've seen, Dame has improved this year, though he's still far from good.

Thank you for 2022, but I've seen enough of the Jordan Poole Experience to know how maddening he can be on both ends of the court.

Since there are multiple aspects to defense -- on ball, off ball positioning, navigating screens, rotating, rebounding, screening out, steals, fouling -- it would be comical to have someone be bad at everything. Any NBA player can be good with effort and a basic level of positional awareness. For those that are bad at D, it usually starts with effort.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#7 » by Special_Puppy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:22 am

Jaden Ivey and Malaki Branham
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,206

Post#8 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:58 am

Tyrese Haliburton
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 287

Post#9 » by Rishkar » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 am

MiamiBulls wrote:Jordan Poole. His awareness on Defense is outright laughable. His inability to properly rotate makes him an absolute nuisance on Defense.

You haven't been watching the same Collin Sexton I have this year. Clarkson is worse on the same team
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#10 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:43 pm

It's Trae and I'd even consider the "it's not close" addendum. We now have a half decade worth of data to show that his teams are downright atrocious on defense with him on the court. His lack of size, combined with his lack of defensive IQ, positioning, and overall laziness (especially in transition) is such a brutal combo. And it's not like he even gambles and creates turnovers as a high steals guy to even somewhat make up for it. Considering the minutes he plays, he's up there with the worst defensive guards I've ever seen.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#11 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 pm

Before this season I’d have said Jalen Green. Now he’s actually a plus defender, quite the turnaround.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#12 » by JimmyFromNz » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 am

Damian Lillard ?
penbeast0

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 am

Shoutout to Jordan Poole who deserves his place on any worst of list for this season. Plays dumb and doesn't care, it's a bad combination.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,837

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

Outside wrote:Kyrie Irving used to die on screens almost every time. I don't know if he's improved with that.

I thought about posting that I thought Kyrie was giving more effort defensively and I still think he mostly is, but man was he tragic last night against the Kings lol. Not on screens, but just losing his man off-ball over and over again. Both he and Luka do okay on ball, but are really guilty of too much ball watching otherwise.

On a side note PJ Washington has shown up and been immediately asked to guard the best guy seemingly without regard to position and I'm amazed at how readily he's accepted that even on nights when he's not seeing the ball at the other end. I was really excited about Gafford's addition, but not PJ, but he's been a nice addition. Dallas is suddenly a big team with Kyrie the only small player in the rotation.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#15 » by Slava » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Halliburton has to be high up there. Dude is already thinking of the next offensive possession after a made basket.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Player Comparisons