Bottom Feeder's Talent battle

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Bottom Feeder's Talent battle 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Matchup comparison looking 3-5 years down the line assuming good health and none of them traded, ignoring contracts:

Better player? Cade Cunningham (Athleticism, volume scoring) or Deni Avdija (defense, efficiency)

Better player? Jalen Duran (High efficiency, not a rim protector) or Kyle Kuzma (volume scoring, versatility)

Better player? Jaden Ivey (dynamic, low efficiency) or Corey Kispert (pure shooter, high efficiency)

Better player? Ausar Thompson (Defense, rookie) or Bilal Coulibaly (Defense, rookie)

Ignoring the rest of the team (particularly Jordan Poole!) . . .
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Re: Bottom Feeder's Talent battle 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

Cade Cunningham -- Significantly higher ceiling than Deni Avdija and projects to a significantly more valueable and important role. Rocking a 30% USG and 37% AST on poor efficiency, but that's the growing pain a high-usage ball-handler is going to be facing.

Jalen Duren -- A+ Athlete and will be 20 years old at the start of next year. Let that one sink in. He is 1 week older than top center prospect Kyle Filipowski in this years draft. Centers typically take a long time to develop, but he is already a monster on the glass and has shown incredible feel as a passer.

Corey Kispert -- Ivey has a higher ceiling, but Kispert is already plug-and-play and unlike Duren, Ivey is already 22 years young. Excellent movement shooter and solid defender. Not buying the high-end outcomes of Ivey here.

Bilal Coulibaly -- This is the hardest one, as Ausar is already a +/- machine, but Coulibaly's shooting is the separator here, though I wouldn't be surprised if Ausar becomes some AK47/Shawn Marion hybrid.

Overall I prefer Detroit's core and I don't think it is close. Washington doesn't have any prospect with higher-end potential while Detroit has two [Cade and Duren].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
penbeast0

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

Thanks, that's certainly how Cade and Duren were seen coming into this season, just curious whether the bloom was off the rose with Cunningham in his 3rd straight year of below league average shooting (though improved over the 1st two), Duren's defense not improving much (while still being a terrific roll guy offensively) and Detroit struggles this year.

Plus from Washington's side, Avdija making a huge jump offensively (before this year, I would have said offensively meh, this year a very solid player though still not a star) and Kispert pushing up his usage while remaining hyper efficient (and remaining atrocious defensively).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,848

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:40 pm

I think the hope to try and have as a Wizards fan is their players complement a true franchise player better. And both teams still need that guy (I don't believe Cade is him). The Pistons pieces are clunkier around a star.

I'd still be trying to find a team to give me value for Deni though. His value is in his cheap contract but Washington won't be competitive during it so its just wasting value. A team would give you something pretty good to get a plug-in young starter locked up cheap long-term.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I think the hope to try and have as a Wizards fan is their players complement a true franchise player better. And both teams still need that guy (I don't believe Cade is him). The Pistons pieces are clunkier around a star.

I'd still be trying to find a team to give me value for Deni though. His value is in his cheap contract but Washington won't be competitive during it so its just wasting value. A team would give you something pretty good to get a plug-in young starter locked up cheap long-term.

May be true but doesn't answer the OP. IF Cade isn't that guy, is he still more valuable than Deni who is a valuable guy if not a 1st option. How about the others?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,754

Post#6 » by eminence » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am

Ranking all 8, where I'll be expecting them in ~4 years. Current age listed, followed by where I'd hope they'll be in terms of player level in the future (on a play-in type squad).

1. Cade (22.5) #1 guy, Allstar level
-Pros: Capable of relatively high offensive volume (both scoring and playmaking for others). I appreciate the size from a lead playmaker, also gives him decent defensive versatility. Trending upwards.
-Cons: Low efficiency.

2. Duren (20.4) #3 starter (if he can become a better rim protector there's #2/low end Allstar upside)
-Pros: Very young. An efficient play finisher. Decent skill on offense for a 5. Physical tools/age to hope for meaningful growth as a defensive anchor. Strong rebounder. Trending upwards.
-Cons: Isn't currently a good defensive anchor. Offensive ceiling seems not particularly high.

3. Deni (23.2) #3 starter
-Pros: Like his defense, good secondary decision maker, has hit his shots this season. Trending upwards.
-Cons: Not a primary offensive guy, middling efficiency, is the 3P% a bit of a hot streak?

4. Coulibaly (19.7) #4 starter
-Pros: Youngest guy here. Has all the tools to be a good defender. Shot looks decent.
-Cons: I don't see a ton of offensive skill.

5. Ausar (21.2) Good rotation guy
-Pros: Young, strong/disruptive defender, very athletic.
-Cons: Not good on offense, unlikely to be getting a ton of reps to improve (behind Cade/Ivey, another high draft pick coming in).

6. Ivey (22.1) Good rotation guy
-Pros: Mid volume offensive guy, strong athleticism.
-Cons: Low efficiency. Size limits his defensive upside/versatility.

7. Kispert (25.1) Good rotation guy
-Pros: Good shooter.
-Cons: Limited in every other area. Also on the older side here, don't see meaningful upside.

8. Kuzma (28.7) Good rotation guy
-Pros: Spaces the floor well from the 4 spot. Decent defensive versatility.
-Cons: Much much older than the others, is who he is, may well be trending down by that point. Low efficiency.

There are a few other young guys on each squad worth mentioning as well - Stewart, Sasser, Poole, Bagley notably who could very well round into decent rotation pieces (or return to being one in Poole's case).
I bought a boat.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#7 » by Fundamentals21 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:25 pm

1. Cade
2. Avidja
3. Kuz

Those 3 are NBA players, though Cade acts like a star, he's leading his team to nowhere. I am not a super Cade fan, I think he can fade away after some time. Avidja and Kuz have stable starter roles anywhere, though Kuz looks terrible as a Wizard.

4. Ausar
5. Bilial

2 young guys, that can dev. into something very nice for a team's rotation.

6.Duren
7. Ivey
8. Kispert

These guys are pretty much Detroit/Wiz. There's some talent in them but it doesn't seem well used. Duren seems promising, though I am not down with his big man defense. Can't say I am a Duren guy, though there are plenty of fans down with him. Suffice to say I am not down with either bottom feeder right now.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:35 pm

The comparison isn’t really fair. We’ve got more seasons worth of high picks stacked up while the Wiz only just fully committed to a rebuild.

The Pistons have more talent now, but if they’re run competently (and we continue to not be) this won’t be true in a couple of years.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#9 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:42 pm

Loser faces Portland in the Talentless Finals? :noway:
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Player Comparisons