RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #89 (Al Horford)

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,729

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #89 (Al Horford) 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:18 pm

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Billy Cunningham

Horace Grant

Cliff Hagan

Al Horford

Bill Sharman

Bill Walton

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #89 (Deadline ~6am PST, 4/4/24) 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:21 pm

Vote Bill Sharman Best shooting guard of his era, combined relatively good scoring with relatively good defense for an extended period. Still valuable up into the 60s. Like Hagan, he played in a weak era but played at the top level for longer.

Alternate Vote Billy Cunningham Strong do it all player who could score, rebound, pass, and played defense. MVP peak in ABA pushes him past the likes of Cliff Hagan for me.

Nominate: Jayon Tatum Short prime but consistent two way performer. Have him slightly above Luke for defense and ability to fit into team mold though Luka is more spectacular and heliocentric.

Alt Nomination: Mel Daniels: Could also say Luka Doncic here but Mel is getting ignored despite being the best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in.

Most similar modern player would be Alonzo Mourning with better rebounding but without the great shotblocking. Both became greats through sheer aggression and a willingness to fight you every inch of every possession.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,422

Post#3 » by AEnigma » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:49 pm

VOTE: Al Horford
Alternate: Billy Cunningham

AEnigma wrote:Al Horford — thought he should have gone ahead of Gobert. Long career and was the definite best player on a team that narrowly missed the Finals, in addition to being a co-lead on two other conference finalists and a meaningful starter on two more.

Next round will probably lock in on Gus Williams for nominations until he is pushed through. Opposed to Issel and Mel for reasons previously stated, but otherwise open to most options being discussed.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:51 pm

A semi aside - I find Elgee's CORP curve too generous at the top end and too harsh on the good starter to lower end stars. My theory on why is that team building isn't accounted for (teams with great players make win now moves at a much higher rate). But taking them at face value you'd think a team with a clear MVP/GOAT +7 type talent and 4 fringe starters would have a similar shot at a title as the entire 3rd team All-NBA.
I bought a boat.
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:20 pm

This is normally about the time when I start thinking about Bobby Dandridge but just too many new players added to the potential pool and I'm afraid I'm just not going to get to him this time.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,310

Post#6 » by trex_8063 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:26 pm

Transplanting here, since he's still on the table......

LA Bird wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:You're not the only one to use a CORP-type argument to make a case for a poor longevity guy; but in doing so, you [and others] tend to fixate on the one or two really good years, saying "my gosh! Look how much more valuable these MVP or 'All-Time' tier seasons are than a mere 'All-Star' season"........while [seemingly] failing to actually complete the math for their whole career (and more importantly: comparing it to the CORP value of the other players).

Walton is already playing from behind before we include consideration of the rest of their respective careers (which arguably/probably leans toward the other guys [not Walton]). I mean, outside of his '77 campaign [which we'll say is worth 10 of those "top 150" seasons], how many more "top 150" seasons is the whole rest of his career worth?

12? 15? 17?

I think 17 would be an over-generous estimation [perhaps grossly so]; probably even 15 is over-generous, given his one and ONLY other fully healthy season saw him playing just 19.3 mpg in the rs and even fewer [18.2] in the playoffs; and while in '78 he was still MVP level, he missed 24 rs games [wouldn't even be eligible this year], and more or less missed the entire playoffs.
Yes, he had some other decent years, though never again approaching [even remotely?] the level of '77 or '78 rs, and ALWAYS with one or both of limited minutes or massive missed games.

Everything here was already preemptively covered in my original post. The focus on minutes instead of the actual contribution in those minutes. The complete dismissal of ~60 game seasons which is never done for other players.

I absolutely did NOT do that.

In fact, I literally just got through valuing his NON-'77 seasons as being [collectively] worth MORE THAN '77. For the sake of argument, I even went with what is [imo] a bullish estimate, saying that they are [collectively] worth 70% more than '77 is (i.e. nearer to double than to same-ish).

How on Earth is that possible if I am "completely dismissing" ~60-game seasons?

LA Bird wrote:The emphasis on the drop off from peak form while ignoring how good a declined Walton still was. I don't think there is much to discuss if you are just going to re-use the same arguments I already addressed...

I feel you're pulling away on the defensive, when truly I'm not trying to be dickish here.

Perhaps I've not been clear enough on what I'm asking of you:
You have said those other seasons have value (I agree), and you provided evidence of that very thing.
What you did NOT do was state EXACTLY what tier [within a CORP framework] you would put EACH SPECIFIC season into.......and thus tell us what you have as his full career CORP added......and then compare it to the CORP value added of others being discussed.

We might find more meaningful discussion if you would be specific as to those things.

That might help explain how you feel '75-'76 + '78-'87 are worth more than [substantially more than, as is necessary for CORP argument to hold] than Al Horford '08 + '15-'23 (because as I already posited that the six years of '09-'14 are worth at least as much as '77 Walton in a CORP-sense [which you did not argue with]).
Or how those other Walton years are worth more than Jack Sikma '78 + '84-'91 ('79-'83 Sikma being worth the same or more than '77 Walton [again, no argument]).

Just so I am being clear to you on how I'm valuating Walton's years, I'll outline my CORP valuations, and go through Walton's seasons one at a time (providing my thoughts/reasoning)......

Fwiw, I use slightly different tiers than Taylor (and I allow "half-measures" when I can't decide which tier a season belongs in [i.e. I'll have a season straddling two tiers (0.5 in each)].
I rate them largely relative to the league environment they played in (for instance, I credit Paul Arizin with one MVP-tier season, even though I don't think he translates to near that level of play/impact in some other eras).
And yes, I DO take missed time into consideration. If two guys are playing at a similar "All-Star"/"top 25" level for example, but one guy plays 80 games while the other plays 44......I do NOT feel it's fair/justified to credit them with having had the same quality of season: one of them very obviously provided considerably more value to his team (and I don't think this is an inappropriate way to think about it). In a situation like that, the guy missing nearly half the year likely gets bumped downward one tier [and I'd sometimes bump him even more if it was a non-fluky injury which causes him to miss any potential playoffs, too. Missed time [especially in the playoffs] hurts your team's championship odds A LOT).

Here are the tiers I use; championship odds above replacement shown in (parentheses) below:
GOAT-tier (35%): Rather self-explanatory what this tier means--->seasons one could literally make a case as the best season anyone has ever played. fwiw, I've only credited 9 such seasons [from 5 players, 1-3 seasons for each] in NBA history.
"All-Time" tier (29%): Not quite GOAT-tier, but better than a run-of-the-mill solid MVP candidate. I've credited 41.5 [again: half-measures] such seasons in NBA history (from 20 different players). The "+7" season you suggested for Walton would fall into this category.
MVP tier (21%): Basically meaning a solid MVP candidate (roughly top 2-3 in the league). 114 such seasons [from 43 different players] so far pegged (I haven't yet done CORP valuations for ALL players who might be mentioned in a top 100 project [I've done 81 players so far, including Walton]).
"Weak MVP" tier (16%): Something like roughly top 4-6 in the league; they likely do get MVP buzz in actuality (even winning sometimes), but are retrospectively obviously NOT the best candidate.
All-NBA tier (10%): Guys who can credibly earn an All-NBA honour; roughly top 14-15 in the modern(ish) league (since there have been 25+ teams, and a "3rd Team"), hedging more toward top 10(ish) in smaller leagues (or even less when it was just 8-9 teams).
All-Star tier (6.5%): Broad enough to include those who might be fringe All-Stars [though not good enough to reach the All-NBA tier]; roughly top 25 in the league players (more like top 15-16(ish) in smaller league years). Note I haven't valued such seasons any higher than Taylor has.
"Sub-All-Star" tier (4%): Very similar to the "top 40" tier shown on Taylor's graph. This tier is for guys who are fringe or borderline All-Stars at best, though often a bit below that. Roughly top 40 players in the modern league size; maybe more like top 25-30(ish) in smaller league eras. The true "average starter" is not much behind this, fwiw.
Average Player tier (1.5%): The literal average player. He might be a low-tier/borderline starter in many circumstances, though he's certainly worse than a true "average starter", but better than a replacement level player (which is why he gets a little consideration here, as the metric is literally above replacement players [that's the "RP" in "CORP"]). This kind of player is very very very close to the fringe/lower-end/borderline "starter" (the "top 150" category on Ben Taylor's graph [note Taylor has that one listed as merely +/- 0]). These are players who are often hovering near PER of 15.0, WS/48 of .100, BPM of +/- 0, RAPM of +/- 0, etc ["average"], while playing perhaps 20-25 mpg ["average"] (all of these depending upon team circumstance, obviously; but you get the idea). They are roughly top 150-170 players in the big modern league.

READ: Please note the worth I have placed on each of my tiers is very very very close to where the line intersects on Ben Taylor's graph for all tiers listed; with the exceptions that I valued my GOAT-tier marginally less (35%, whereas he has it worth ~37%), and that I also valued that "average player" LESS than he did (1.5%, whereas the same looks to be worth ~2.5-2.75% on his graph).
So it cannot be said that I am, in some effort to OVER-credit longevity, placing excessive value on these good-but-not-great seasons (I'm giving them almost exactly the same values as the source you're citing, except for the average player category [which I'm actually giving LESS value to]).

Walton
'75: His production looks good when he played, though below what it would be near his peak. His impact looks more dodgy (almost kind of outlier so within his career). Even you noted above, I believe, that he the WOWY MOV shift was negative for this year; I note the more coarse observation that they were 12-23 [.343] when he played, 26-21 [.553] when he was out. I suspect there are other injuries or roster shake-ups at play in that startling observation, and so I don't take it at face value; though it's nonetheless clear that his impact is not yet what it would become. And he missed more than half of the season (and seems likely, given he missed the last ~8 weeks of rs, that he would have missed any potential playoffs).
I'll still not "dismiss" this season, for the sake of argument, at least; though I cannot see crediting it with more than the "Average Player" tier. (EDIT: Upon reflection, even this is over-generous, given the impact signal is lacking in his rookie year, he missed a full 60% of the regular season, AND would have [seemingly] missed the playoffs (if they'd made it). Hard to view this year as worth anything in terms of championship odds added.)

'76: Box-based figures don't look as good as his rookie year (shooting efficiency sort of bottoms out this year, as he takes on only slightly more volume), though still decent overall. Impact profile looking better, however (e.g. 26-25 [.510] when he played, 11-20 [.355] in games he missed.......good, but not monstrous); and he played 16 games more than the year before (and looks like he would have been healthy for the playoffs if they'd made it---->NOTE: this is perhaps the perfect illustration of WHY missed games matter to me. If he had been healthy, it seems they very very likely would have made the playoffs; his missing time cost them a playoff berth.)
I've just upgraded the valuation on this season [perhaps in part for the sake of argument, to show I'm not being harsh to Walton] to a half-measure: half "All-Star" and half "Sub-All-Star". Given his lacking box metrics, impact signal which is perhaps only barely looking All-Starish, and missing 31 games besides.......I feel this is [if anything] being generous to the year.

'77: I went with "All-Time" tier for this season (again, the roughly "+7" you yourself suggested).

'78: I think he was playing at the same level as in '77 (there are some suggestions to say perhaps even marginally BETTER). He did, however, miss nearly a third of the rs [24 games], and then was basically absent for the playoffs (two games of reduced effectiveness). This dings the value of the year a lot for me.
I've gone with the "Weak MVP" tier (I previously had it a half-measure between "Weak MVP" and "All-NBA", but bumped it up for this discussion). His durability concerns not only forced him to miss 24 rs games (which in some circumstances MIGHT have prevented them from making the playoffs at all), but lampooned any hope for playoff success. So I cannot go higher than that, personally, specifically within a criteria/construct that is LITERALLY titled "Championship Odds". tbh, this is probably TOO generous a ranking for this year (I should likely bump it back to where I had it); but for the sake of argument, I'll leave it as is (giving him 16% addition to his career championship odds, even though his durability for the ps more accurately made the odds 0%).
Side-note: this is the first year we get to see it, but Walton was actually quite turnover-prone. I haven't seen the context in which a lot of these occur; I've just not seen a ton of Walton's play (mostly just the '77 Finals and '86 Finals is what I've seen).

'80: His numbers look decent, but he played just 14 games; they were 6-8 [.429] with him, 29-39 [.426] without (although you note a +4.9 shift on MOV). I didn't give this season credit for anything in a CORP-construct because: 14 games; I don't think you can fault me on that decision.

'83: Other than the usual high turnover rate and the tremendous dip in FT%, his box-figures are pretty decent. There is some impact signal, as they're 12-21 [.364] with him, 13-36 [.265] without (not all that much lift for such a poor team, fwiw, though you note a +5.9 MOV shift). As noted here, he plays just 33 games (missing 49).
I personally didn't give him credit for anything for this year, since he missed 60% of the season, and was good, but not exactly lighting the world on fire when he did play. Were I to credit anything for this year, I don't see how I can go above "Average Player/Season", given all the missed time.

'84: Rate metrics are decent except for [again] the turnovers and the FT% still a bit problematic, though in <27 mpg. They were 23-32 [.418] with him, 7-20 [.259] without him (the MOV shift you noted is +4.7 for this year).
I credited him with a "Sub-All-Star" season for this. I see a player who might be having "All-NBA" tier impact when he's on the court.........but he's only on the court <27 mpg (whereas other true "All-NBA" players are playing 35+ mpg); that alone would likely drop this year down to "All-Star", then there's a third of the season missed on top of that. I cannot see going higher than a half-measure (between All-Star and "Sub-AS") at the max.

'85: Again his rate metrics [other than turnovers] look pretty good, though in <25 mpg this year. They were 27-40 [.403] with him, 4-11 [.267] without (you noted a more modest [than prior years] +2.7 MOV change). I gave credit for a "Sub-AS" season here. Looking at a guy was probably still a defensive stud, though in low minutes, averaging basically 10 and 9 with more turnovers than assists (fairly high foul rate, too, fwiw). idk, I just can't quite get to an "All-Star" tier with this season, or even really to a half-measure.

'86: His numbers are good, his impact signal (as you noted) is tremendous. He is like a 19 mpg player, though. Even if I buy into him having All-NBA or even Weak MVP impact [a stretch for me] while in the game......he's still only playing about half the minutes that a true All-NBA/Weak MVP player would be playing.
I gave him a half-measure between "All-Star" and "Sub-AS"......which is truly a credit to him that I'm giving that much despite the extremely limited minutes (and fwiw, this is probably on par with your typical 6MOY season).

'87: He's 11 mpg for 10 games in the rs (minimally effective, too). In the playoffs he plays [also at much declined effectiveness] for 8.5 mpg in 12 [of 23] ps games; I didn't credit this year as above replacement.

So ^^^that is how I've tentatively credited him. You might argue I'm marginally underrating '84 and '85, and that maybe I should at least give that "average" year credit to '83. However, I've very likely overrated '75 by giving it any rank at all (see edit above), and [imo] was arguably marginally generous in the credit given to '76; and from a strictly "championship odds" construct, I've GROSSLY overrated '78: I gave him credit for "weak MVP", as acknowledgement for how good he was for 70% of the rs; but realistically, his value adding toward an actual title that year is pretty minimal--->because he missed the playoffs.

He's nonetheless STILL not a world-beater, even against the crowd faced here. With the above ratings (again: probably generous for CORP valuation, based on how I credited '78), I have him exactly tied with Horford in raw CORP value (edit: IF I leave the credit to '75 intact). With a slight longevity calibration, he moves marginally ahead (again: with credit on '75).
However, I'm not an era-relativist. I view the NBA of the mid-late 70s as a lesser league than it would become a decade later (and less than it is today). When I apply my era calibration to it, he slips slightly behind Horford (even with '75).

fwiw, my ranking is not based upon my CORP valuation to any sizable degree. Though this manner of evaluation probably IS the one methodology that will paint Walton in the most flattering light........yet still [as I said above] he's not a world-beater, even at this stage.
And that's all I'm saying when I suggest that the CORP framework doesn't necessarily make his case to the degree you're implying.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:36 pm

The problem isn't Walton's various partial regular seasons. Outside of 1977, his total starts in the playoffs over his full career = 2. And in those he was still playing under 25 mpg.

So if you're focus is on helping your team win titles, Walton from age 22 to age 33 is one and done. He did have one great reserve year backing up Robert Parish plus one final year playing less than 10 minutes per playoff game.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#8 » by Samurai » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:52 pm

Vote for #89: Billy Cunningham. Excellent peak but injuries cut his career short. But his peak was outstanding: MVP (ABA), three-time All NBA First Team, one All ABA First Team, and one All NBA Second Team. Very good rebounder with elite hops (hence his nickname of the Kangaroo Kid), very good passer and solid defender with excellent bbIQ. Career 21.2 point/game scorer. Biggest knock outside of longevity is that he wasn't a good dribbler. But he always played with heart and tenacity with a non-stop motor.

Alternate vote: Bill Sharman. Probably the best pure shooter of his time. Elite FT shooter (led the league 7 times), 9 top 20 finishes in both TS% and FG%. Six top 20 finishes in assists/game. Penbeast described him as a good defender for his time, similar to Klay Thompson. Assuming that is true, that makes an excellent all-around player when combining it with elite shooting.

Nomination: Jerry Lucas. No I don't expect Luke to get much support as he didn't make the top 100 the last time either. But he's been a personal favorite of mine since I went to his summer camp so this is a personal bias vote for me. Outstanding shooter who shot for a very high percentage in his era, especially notable since he typically shot from farther out than most anyone else at that time. Twice led the league in TS% with eight total finishes in the top 20. A poor defender on the wing due to his lack of foot speed, he was a solid low post defender due to his strength and positioning, although at only 6-8 he could not stop taller elites like Wilt or Kareem. Seven finishes in the top 20 in DWS and eight times for OWS, he was named All NBA five times (3 first teams and 2 second teams). An elite rebounder, although he was a noted stat padder, he spent hours in the gym studying flight patterns and angles of shots to determine where a potential rebound is most likely to fall and used this uncanny positioning and strength to offset his lack of hops. Also a very good passer for a big in that era.

Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy. While I was never a big fan of his, I also admit that I only saw him play in the latter (post-prime) half of his career. Had the impression that he was kind of an 'empty stats' guy who put up big numbers that didn't necessarily translate into big impact. His WOWY isn't too impressive and he didn't seem to raise his game in the playoffs, although he didn't have any playoff appearances during his peak years. But he was a strong scorer who shot a high percentage for his era, finishing in the top 10 in TS% nine times. Was a good (but not elite) rebounder with seven top 10 finishes in reb/game. Excellent WS numbers with seven different seasons of 10+ WS (more than any of our current nominees), including a 16 WS rookie year.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#9 » by AEnigma » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:11 pm

Samurai wrote:Nomination: Jerry Lucas. No I don't expect Luke to get much support as he didn't make the top 100 the last time either.
Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy. Had the impression that he was kind of an 'empty stats' guy who put up big numbers that didn't necessarily translate into big impact. His WOWY isn't too impressive and he didn't seem to raise his game in the playoffs, although he didn't have any playoff appearances during his peak years.

Any other names you have in mind for the next five or so spots?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#10 » by Samurai » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:23 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Samurai wrote:Nomination: Jerry Lucas. No I don't expect Luke to get much support as he didn't make the top 100 the last time either.
Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy. Had the impression that he was kind of an 'empty stats' guy who put up big numbers that didn't necessarily translate into big impact. His WOWY isn't too impressive and he didn't seem to raise his game in the playoffs, although he didn't have any playoff appearances during his peak years.

Tatum for sure, although I am still wrestling with his lack of longevity. Greer is another one that I am looking at.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#11 » by AEnigma » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:39 pm

Samurai wrote:
AEnigma wrote:

Tatum for sure, although I am still wrestling with his lack of longevity. Greer is another one that I am looking at.

Well, Doc and Penbeast are with you on Tatum whenever you want to join them.

For Greer, curious why him over Chet. Not saying I do not see an argument — more seasons / games / minutes / minutes per game, more all-NBA recognition, more primacy on those all-time 76ers teams — but you cited the scoring and win shares of Lucas and Bellamy while seemingly overlooking a scorer who accumulated more win shares than his teammate in less time (playing to the more peak/prime minded approach you have been taking).

This is for the sake of discussion; I really have no interest in win share rankings outside of how they continue to be referenced by others.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#12 » by trelos6 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:52 pm

I find myself in a tough position. Do I take the player who was unequivocally the best player on a championship caliber team, or do you take the guy who was a high end role player, all star level for many years.

I have Cunningham with 7 all star level seasons, Grant with 5 all star level, but 3 all nba level. Sharman with 8 all star level, but 2 all nba level. Hagan with 7 all star and 2 all nba seasons. And of course, Walton with his 2 MVP level seasons, but that was quite literally all she wrote.

Vote: Al Horford

Some uninspiring choices. Walton, his peak was great, but it was 2 seasons. Hagan, around 4 great years with the one amazing post season run, but again, I see him fringe top 100. Probably wouldn’t mind him at 95-100. Parker has some good rORTG numbers, but played with Manu and Duncan. It was a toss up between a guy who played a long time as a facilitator vs a guy who played a long time as a very good defensive player.

Ultimately, I’m going with Horford because I’m a homer. But also because when Horford has played in the green, I see how valuable he has been. Whether dominating Embiid, canning 3’s or working in the DHO with IT4, Horford has played exceptionally well. For his career he is a +4 in RAPM, +2 on O, -2 on D. He can plug and play with just about any team (sorry Philly).

Alt Vote: Bill Walton

His 2 seasons of heavy lifting does enough to get him the nod as the alternate.

Nom: Terry Porter

88-93 in the last 2 projects. I have him with 6 very strong seasons, 2 of which I have at a weak MVP level. His career had some longevity to it, though it wasn't at any great level.

Image These can be seen on his career PIPM graph.

His 3 year post season peak from 90-92, he averaged 20 pp75 on + 10.6 rTS%. I think an efficient PG makes team building so much easier, and if they can also not be a turnstile on defense, it helps even more. Porter did that really well. Playoff Porter increased both his usage and shooting against playoff defenses, and that's not something that can be said of a lot of players. Yes, Drexler was the 1A on that team, but I'd have Porter as the 1B for those playoff runs.

Alt nom: Mo Cheeks

Good lead guard for a long time. Complimentary scorer who was efficient. Good to great passer. Very good peak defensively. Another not so sexy pick, but he was just a good player for a long time.

Some other guys I was considering who just missed out. Jerry Lucas, Gus Williams, Shawn Kemp, Grant Hill, Marques Johnson, Dominique Wilkins.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#13 » by AEnigma » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:05 pm

trelos6 wrote:I find myself in a tough position. Do I take the player who was unequivocally the best player on a championship caliber team, or do you take the guy who was a high end role player, all star level for many years.

I have Cunningham with 7 all star level seasons, Grant with 5 all star level, but 3 all nba level. Sharman with 8 all star level, but 2 all nba level. Hagan with 7 all star and 2 all nba seasons.

Seems like an almost impossibly bold stance to list Cunningham with no all-league seasons while listing Horace Grant with three.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#14 » by trelos6 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:22 pm

AEnigma wrote:
trelos6 wrote:I find myself in a tough position. Do I take the player who was unequivocally the best player on a championship caliber team, or do you take the guy who was a high end role player, all star level for many years.

I have Cunningham with 7 all star level seasons, Grant with 5 all star level, but 3 all nba level. Sharman with 8 all star level, but 2 all nba level. Hagan with 7 all star and 2 all nba seasons.

Seems like an almost impossibly bold stance to list Cunningham with no all-league seasons while listing Horace Grant with three.

I get he won acclaim and MVP shares. But he was on a Jack Ramsay team, with Greer, Walker, Jones. He wasn’t all that efficient as a scorer.
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 930

Post#15 » by f4p » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:09 pm

Perfect "Hall of Very Good" member. Been an impactful player since seemingly just after the Big Bang. I feel confident he can fit into almost any situation and provide high level defensive and floor-spreading impact. He takes almost nothing off the table and adds so many things to it. Other than volume scoring, he gives you almost everything you need and continues to do so in year 17. Feels like he could play today or 40 years ago equally well.

Nomination: Luke Doncic

Short career but no one in this range has a series, much less 3, on the level of his 2 Clippers series or especially his Phoenix series. Put up 29/9/9 as a 20 year old and seems to relish big moments. On/off numbers are troublesome but then so are Jokic's in the playoffs so I suppose like Jokic, I just don't believe the numbers that much in light of other things.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,023

Post#16 » by falcolombardi » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:50 pm

Vote-al horford. Long career as a fairly high impact enough player who could be a fairly ideal second star in a contending team. Combination of passing, post moves, defense and shooting touch make him versatile across eras too

Alt vote- horace grant, had a though time between him and walton as walton prime is obviously way higher but also consisted of like 2 healthy seasons
Horace kind of fits that "great secondary star" mold of guys like al horford and robert horry that i am quite high on as they add value in lots of ways without needing to be a high volume/usage player

Nomination-luka doncic
The list of guys who were as good as playoffs doncic in their early 20's can be counted in one hand. The playoff resume is wild for how young he is. And low key he already has built a 5 year prime as al eague superstar/mvp/top 5 guy
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,766

Post#17 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:01 am

Versatile big who has played through different versions of the game and remained impactful throughout.

Alt vote: Horace Grant

Another versatile big, who has a very good impact profile, and was providing impact all the way to his days on the Los Angeles Lakers. It would be a valuable, additive player in any era of basketball.

Nomination: Luka Doncic
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,312

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:46 am

Wondering if Rajon Rondo gets a look in the top 100..

2 x championships (arguably top 3-4 player on both squads)
2 x voted top 10 in MVP voting
4 x All-Star
4 x All-Defense
1 x All-NBA

Top 15 in assists all time, 7th all time in playoff assists, 3rd all time in career AST% in playoffs
Top 50 in stelas all time, 24th all time in playoff steals
16th in all time triple doubles, 6th in all time playoff triple doubles
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#19 » by AEnigma » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:47 am

No.
Primedeion
Junior
And1: 819

Post#20 » by Primedeion » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:58 am

Am I the only one who thinks Aldridge is getting crazy underrated? Not even nominated?

Return to Player Comparisons