Where would rookie Zach Edey rank in the 90s

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Where would rookie Zach Edey rank in the 90s 

Post#1 » by rk2023 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:58 pm

Unsure how many college basketball buffs there are on this board, but one of the biggest storylines this year has been Zach Edey’s dominance. His game is perfectly tailored for the 1990s style of play, with more offense being run through the post.

In any given year in the 1990s, where would rookie Zach Edey rank amongst centers - and does he have the shot of making an all-star team?
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,537

Re: Where would rookie Zach Edey rank in the 90s 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:07 pm

I am envisioning a cross between rookie Shaq and rookie Wembanyama.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,592

Post#3 » by The Master » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:16 pm

IMHO people definitely overreact with this 'game perfectly tailored for the 1990s'.

It would've been easier for him in the 90s for sure - but we had several senior college players destroying the NCAA (with much higher average level of play) just to disappoint more or less in the NBA at that time, because they simply lacked athleticism. Stacey King was a freak in college and backup big in the 90s on NBA level.

I'd go with Al Jefferson type of career as his upside, uninspiring ~top5 pick bust as a floor.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,651

Post#4 » by 70sFan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:22 am

The Master wrote:IMHO people definitely overreact with this 'game perfectly tailored for the 1990s'.

100% agree, people act like all you need to do back then is to be big and play in the post. I see a lot of comments that Jahlil Okafor would have been a star in the 1990s, when realistically he would be weak bench big at best.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#5 » by OriAr » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:49 am

70sFan wrote:
The Master wrote:IMHO people definitely overreact with this 'game perfectly tailored for the 1990s'.

100% agree, people act like all you need to do back then is to be big and play in the post. I see a lot of comments that Jahlil Okafor would have been a star in the 1990s, when realistically he would be weak bench big at best.

If Jahlil Okafor was as good of an interior defender as Edey he'd still have been in the league.
Edey actually has some extra value beyond just being in the low post, I feel very comfortable saying he'll be at worst a dependable back up big for a long time in the league, and he has considerable upside as well.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,826

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:27 pm

You mean how good would Edney be considered in a league where big man defense was even more important than it is today? He would be rated higher than today both offensively and defensively, possibly enough to be the presumptive top pick in a draft like this one but that's different than saying he would definitely work out.

NBA Draft Room wrote:At 7-4 and over 300lbs he’s a bit bigger than Boban Marjanovic. On defense he can contribute by clogging the lane and altering shots but could also get lost in the up and down speed of the league. His elite length and size will always be a factor around the rim.

He might be the next Yao Ming, he might be the next Georghe Muresan. Having watched Georghe Muresan start for Washington for a couple of years, I can safely say that size isn't everything. Being slower than everyone else in the league so that Greg Ostertag can put the ball on the floor and drive around you was an issue back in the day as well.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,802

Post#7 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:58 pm

70sFan wrote:

The hyperbolic narratives can be out of control, but I do think Edney would be a good starter in the ‘80s and ‘90s because he has good basketball instincts both offensively and defensively. His limitations on movement and shooting wouldn’t be killers in those eras. I think he can carve out a role for himself even in today’s league as well.

Okafor never had good basketball instincts nor BBall IQ. He struggled defensively even in high school, when you would think his massive physical superiority would make him a better defender. I do think he would be playable in the ‘80s and ‘90s because the demand to make rotations by a big were much less AND slow rotations didn’t lead to easy baskets at the rim nor wide open threes. Okafor couldn’t make a rotation to save his life nor defend at all in space, things he wouldn’t be tasked to do to such an extent in the ‘80s and ‘90s when he could depend on his size and strength much more. He was actually a good post scorer.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,802

Post#8 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:02 pm

penbeast0 wrote:You mean how good would Edney be considered in a league where big man defense was even more important than it is today? He would be rated higher than today both offensively and defensively, possibly enough to be the presumptive top pick in a draft like this one but that's different than saying he would definitely work out.

Big man defense and responsibilities were different then with Edney’s primary weakness, i.e., mobility, much, much less of a liability. He wouldn’t be outside chasing down shooters or closing out on 5s who can shoot or switching out to a PG who can shoot from 30 feet away or hedge back 20 feet after a show on a ball,screen, etc. He could leverage his size to play defense and many did do exactly this in those eras AND many of those players didn’t have his offensive skillset.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…

Return to Player Comparisons