......While playing 29.7 mpg.

rk2023 wrote:LeBron from 2021-24:
• 24.4 PER
• .160 WS/48
• 7.0 BPM
• 17.7 VORP
• 7.7 on/off

.....While playing 35.4 mpg.

Just feel it's important to point this out when citing rate metrics. I admit it's much closer than I would have thought at first glance, and I must give Stockton credit for the iron-man durability (LeBron not an iron-man at this stage).
Though I'm still siding with LeBron by a small margin, especially if I'm eyeing someone who could still anchor a contender.

Looking (eyeballing) the average mpg by the year by year top 10.
The top 10 averaged about 39.5 minutes per game during 1999-2002

These days it's like 36 minutes...

So Lebron essentially averages the minutes you can expect from a top player.
While Stockton only did about 75% of the minutes.
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Re: Age 36-39 LeBron vs John Stockton 

Post#22 » by frica » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:33 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I guess it depends on team needs. Stockton will play defense, play every game and focus on making the players around him better. LeBron won't play defense, will miss almost half the games and will focus on getting big numbers.

Obviously that sound harsh for LeBron, but this is already a lopsided comparison. If you have an elite team with some good scoring you want Stockton. Otherwise you're taking LeBron.

Look at the MPG, easier to play every game when you don't have to play a lot.
You don't think Lebron could have (much) better per minute averages if he limited himelf to 26 minutes per game?
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,023

Post#23 » by Owly » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:16 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
rk2023 wrote:Stockton from 1999-2002:
• 22.2 PER
• .213 WS/48
• 6.2 BPM
• 12.8 on/off

......While playing 29.7 mpg.

rk2023 wrote:LeBron from 2021-24:
• 24.4 PER
• .160 WS/48
• 7.0 BPM
• 17.7 VORP
• 7.7 on/off

.....While playing 35.4 mpg.

Just feel it's important to point this out when citing rate metrics. I admit it's much closer than I would have thought at first glance, and I must give Stockton credit for the iron-man durability (LeBron not an iron-man at this stage).
Though I'm still siding with LeBron by a small margin, especially if I'm eyeing someone who could still anchor a contender.

Fwiw ... (all RS, as above)
Stockton 8805 minutes raw, 9707.4 minutes pro rata (extending lockout '99 to 82 game at same rate).
Lebron (season still in progress) 7896 minutes raw. 8257.746032 pro rata (extending '21 to minutes to an 82 game schedule, projecting present season minutes from 77 games to 82).

As stated this doesn't factor in playoffs.

Minutes is important to rate but games is important context to mpg when looking at minutes, availability and ideas of production, longevity of quality, goodness, value etc. Not necessarily disagreeing with anything here but thought minute totals worth posting if mpg is being made explicit ... Stockton was still out there a bit more. Covid era might mean atypical absences. Era norms regarding minutes vary and there will be era, position and individual differences in "load" on body too (LeBron is ... second all-time in career RS minutes 56447 [to Kareem's 57446 ... without any prorating LeBron's lockout, CoVid seasons]; clear first in playoff minutes at 11654 and first in combined minutes).
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,164

Post#24 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:41 pm

Stockton was much better, dude actually played both sides of the floor with maximum intensity versus LeBron who stands around every defensive possession and sporadically on offense when he wants a break.

Not a surprise at all that it bears out in the metrics
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#25 » by DCasey91 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:11 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Stockton was much better, dude actually played both sides of the floor with maximum intensity versus LeBron who stands around every defensive possession and sporadically on offense when he wants a break.

Not a surprise at all that it bears out in the metrics

Analytics be damned

Volume matters

Size matters

Last season dude closed out GSW in game 6.

Look I like Stockton as much as the next person but you are talking more along the lines of Peak Stockton to get the same performance measure

Raw +-, BPM all that efficient value has limitations especially when people do not consider volume at all.

For arguments sake Bron was basically an acceptable 2nd option for a contending team (if the Lakers had a better list or on a different contending team altogether). And this year he looks about the same ballpark

Stockton was definitely not that caliber.
Very effective yadayada. Bron literally dropped a near perfect game age 38 lmao in the playoffs into conference final.

For how good Davis is Bron is still the outright most important player on that team by a mile.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#26 » by ShotCreator » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:53 am

tone wone wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:
Old Stockton blows old LeBron on playmaking ability and creativity. He still had his quickness and natural body movements which LeBron does not anymore.

I could easily see Stockton topping LeBron on playoff impact if Reaves did it.

Just what was Oldman stockton creating while being such a non-threat as a scorer? The guy was taking about 8 shots a game. You can't possibly believe a player who barely shoots could actually be a high end playmaker?

Being the the trigger man in sets ain't playmaking. It's not difficult to rack up assist in that role when the teams primary scorer is a offball play finisher. We just saw Chris Paul do a better version of this in Phoenix.

Stockton still had his speed. He could pretty much get anywhere he wanted in a half court set.

Check his free throw rates of this time period too.

The late 90’s and early 00’s were post-Illegal defense and handchecking rules changes and extremely slow paced and low on offensive innovation.

Stockton was an all-star caliber on ability and productivity in any time period. And was playing both ends. This isn’t prime Rondo level play here.

8 shots is not really relevant.

But we are talking extremely subtle differences at this point. But between old man Paul, old man Stockton, and old man LeBron there’s subtle differences between the 3.

Phoenix Chris Paul absolutely could not do what Stockton was doing, the way he was doing it on either end. The speed and explosion difference is humongous. It’s a mistake to think Chris Paul and Stockton did the same things. Stockton really never changed his play style from prime. He just got a little worse at it.

Chris Paul wouldn’t even attempt half the things he’d do I say 2016, on either end, while playing for Phoenix.

Guards got into Chris Paul grill on the dribble, Bigs had no respect for his finishing game, and he was hidden off the ball as a defender in Phoenix.

Whereas in prime he was - as a great shooter still getting sagged off when on-ball because of his quickness and slashing threat - was a top PNR ball handler defender on volume and PPP allowed every year guarding the hardest tasks, and actually scored a ton at the rim when Jordan or Griffin would leave the court in those minutes. Now he plays in the space and pace era and can kind of boost up his stats to make his game seem like it’s higher substance than it was in PHX.

Very similar to LeBron. His 25/7/7 or whatever was very very limited and had many plays of stalling and not getting any pressure put on the defense. He had the game substance of a 18/5/6 guy.

But Stockton didn’t really struggle like this. He got old like Ginobili gold old. Still fast, still dominant on both ends. Just way lower minutes. I’m really anal about this stuff but this is really where the conversation should be. These super subtle non-box score factors.

LeBron was not at all higher impact than old Stockton to me for these reasons. Neither was PHX Paul.
Swinging for the fences.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 769

Post#27 » by Mazter » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:26 pm

The 99-02 years were very friendly for the 36-39 age group. The pace and game speed really halted down to a nearly stand still. You had a fairly nobody like Johnny Newman racking up 4500+ minutes between age 36-38 in those Stockton years. He was one of 56 players aged 36-39 who saw minutes during those years. Alongside some other middle of the pack players like Mario Elie, Sam Mitchell, Jerome Kersey, Tyrone Corbin, Olden Polynice, Joe Kleine, Antoine Carr, Chris Dudley, Thurl Bailey, Mark Bryant, David Wingate, Herb Williams, Danny Schayes....

Fast forward to today, Rondo retired game ready but not needed by any NBA franchise. He joins an already impressive lineup of Melo, Howard, Marc Gasol, Kemba, Aldridge, Deron Williams, Lou Williams, Cousins and Millsapp who one way or another were forced out of the league. The game is not well suited anymore for old players. The speed of the game and the pace is at it's highest. Driving has become the key to the games offense. Besides that foreign leagues, the D league and college ball are soaring and delivering new talent at any given moment. A 36+ years old player is being cut easily today.

Return to Player Comparisons