Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,855

Re: '89 Jordan vs '18 LeBron 

Post#121 » by OhayoKD » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:19 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:Finally, referring to the 2019 Cavs as “role player minute swaps” is an interesting (and pretty misleading) way of describing a situation where the team’s remaining best player played virtually zero minutes all season with the 7 other players that had played the most minutes the prior season (as I showed).

Idk, I think it's an accurate way to describe a team of role-players who still look terrible when we cherrypick minutes and games with the one role player who has ever evidenced being anything more...

There's also the cavs with kyrie and love (and no lebron) looking bad by both spot minute samples and actual games...weren't you saying 2016 Lebron's "help" was as talented as the 2016 Steph's?

And then there is the matter of the 6 point defensive drop for cleveland...the 2019 lakers becoming one of the best defenses(and improving to a 50-win pace) until Lebron **** up his groin vs the warriors(and tbf, bi and lonzo got injured shortly after)...

No, no. definitely not noise.

This is basically just flailing around. An argument was made that, despite impact data

Despite the impact data you cherrypicked, yes. Presenting it as the only impact data when virtually all the off/without before and after suggests otherwise is what I'd consider flailing tbh.

These facts obviously show it is really silly to attempt to use the 2019 Cavaliers defensive numbers to rehabilitate LeBron’s bad 2018 defense. The teams were completely different.

Uhuh.

Here's how the other starters did btw

JR (11 G), -9.2, minutes with. -3.06
George Hill (13 G), -11.2, minutes with, -5.98
Rodney Hood (53 G), -10.9, minutes with, -12.26

in addition to

Kevin Love (22 G), -6, minutes with, -3.45

But you added an abverb to compensate, so not "impact data" I guess.

lessthanjake wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:And I can’t really have any objection to you not being convinced on LeBron’s 2018 defense, when you’re simultaneously acknowledging that the argument uses the best evidence and reasoning we have.

Tip:

He who must say he is a user the best evidence and reasoning we have is no true user of the best reasoning and evidence we have.

LOL, I was literally quoting Tim Lehrbach’s description. I was responding to a post in which Tim had said “I usually say that we're all just telling stories about the game using the best evidence and reasoning we have, and you've done that.”

Touche.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,195

Post#122 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:48 pm

AEnigma wrote:I think Kawhi Leonard was actually a bad defender in 2017 because the Spurs were historically good when he was on the bench and over 8 points worse when he was on the court. I also was not visibly impressed by Kawhi — I saw some people say he played bad team defence, and come to think of it, I only rely remember him focusing on his assignment — so therefore he was probably a bad defender. Some people on the Spurs Reddit said he was lazy fighting through screens, and lazy is a bad word which does not apply to good defenders. I remember national media talking about it too. Here is an article from CBS Sports in December of 2016.
The Spurs' defense gives up the most points per 100 possession, is at its worst statistically, when Leonard is on the floor. I know that sounds crazy, but those are the numbers. San Antonio is significantly worse -- 14.8 points per 100 possessions, to be exact -- when he's on the floor. In other words, they go from downright bad on defense to elite when Leonard goes to the bench.

I can hear you all screaming: "This is the problem with analytics! Defensive metrics are flawed! It's about his teammates! This stat means nothing!"

… And yet, the numbers just get worse the deeper you look.

In addition to that really bad overall defensive rating, opponents are shooting 3.8 percent better than their average on the 9.5 shots that Leonard is contesting per game, per NBA.com's tracking data. Furthermore, the defensive rating of each one of the Spurs' eight rotation players gets worse with Leonard on the court, often by double-digits.

And Leonard's personal numbers are not appreciably affected by who he plays with. In fact, he gets better while paired with four of the eight, and only marginally worse with the other four (he is 2.2 points per 100 worse alongside LaMarcus Aldridge, for instance). All this suggests that it is not Leonard's teammates who are dragging him down, but the other way around.

As a viewer, it was sad to see that in one offseason Kawhi could drop 7.5 points of defensive impact. No idea how he managed to finished top three in DPoY voting that year; the numbers are just so obvious that he sucked, and the Spurs barely missed him in 2018. Thankfully I am a very serious person who really understands the game of basketball, so now I can tell people that we all should know how bad Kawhi was on defence in 2017.

If you think the eye test on LeBron’s 2018 defense and Kawhi’s 2017 defense are similar, then I don’t really know what to tell you.

Amusingly, you’ll find that in one of my first couple posts in this thread, I specifically said that “sample sizes for a single season aren’t enormous (especially the “off” samples) so in theory this could just be random bad luck rather than reflecting real defensive weakness.” I then went on to say “But it comports with the eye test, in which LeBron wasn’t putting much effort in on the defensive end.” The Kawhi 2017 numbers likely fall in that “random bad luck” category, since essentially no one would say the eye test supports him being a weak defender in 2017 (including the passage you quoted—which is presenting the data as a surprise, implying it’s contrary to the eye test). The same is not at all true of 2018 LeBron. It’s also worth noting that, even just at the data level, it’s not a good analogy, because Kawhi doesn’t look nearly as bad in RAPM. For instance, Kawhi has a +0.9 DRAPM in 2017 in Engelmann’s RAPM (which was like top quarter of the league), while LeBron had a negative DRAPM in 2018 (and, as mentioned, it was like bottom 10% of the league).

In other words, for one player, there’s awful on-off data, awful RAPM data, and a general consensus that the eye test was bad. For the other player, there’s awful on-off data, decent RAPM data, and a general consensus that the eye test was really good. These are not the same at all.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,249

Post#123 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:28 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
AEnigma wrote:I think Kawhi Leonard was actually a bad defender in 2017 because the Spurs were historically good when he was on the bench and over 8 points worse when he was on the court. I also was not visibly impressed by Kawhi — I saw some people say he played bad team defence, and come to think of it, I only rely remember him focusing on his assignment — so therefore he was probably a bad defender. Some people on the Spurs Reddit said he was lazy fighting through screens, and lazy is a bad word which does not apply to good defenders. I remember national media talking about it too. Here is an article from CBS Sports in December of 2016.
The Spurs' defense gives up the most points per 100 possession, is at its worst statistically, when Leonard is on the floor. I know that sounds crazy, but those are the numbers. San Antonio is significantly worse -- 14.8 points per 100 possessions, to be exact -- when he's on the floor. In other words, they go from downright bad on defense to elite when Leonard goes to the bench.

I can hear you all screaming: "This is the problem with analytics! Defensive metrics are flawed! It's about his teammates! This stat means nothing!"

… And yet, the numbers just get worse the deeper you look.

In addition to that really bad overall defensive rating, opponents are shooting 3.8 percent better than their average on the 9.5 shots that Leonard is contesting per game, per NBA.com's tracking data. Furthermore, the defensive rating of each one of the Spurs' eight rotation players gets worse with Leonard on the court, often by double-digits.

And Leonard's personal numbers are not appreciably affected by who he plays with. In fact, he gets better while paired with four of the eight, and only marginally worse with the other four (he is 2.2 points per 100 worse alongside LaMarcus Aldridge, for instance). All this suggests that it is not Leonard's teammates who are dragging him down, but the other way around.

As a viewer, it was sad to see that in one offseason Kawhi could drop 7.5 points of defensive impact. No idea how he managed to finished top three in DPoY voting that year; the numbers are just so obvious that he sucked, and the Spurs barely missed him in 2018. Thankfully I am a very serious person who really understands the game of basketball, so now I can tell people that we all should know how bad Kawhi was on defence in 2017.

If you think the eye test on LeBron’s 2018 defense and Kawhi’s 2017 defense are similar, then I don’t really know what to tell you.

Amusingly, you’ll find that in one of my first couple posts in this thread, I specifically said that “sample sizes for a single season aren’t enormous (especially the “off” samples) so in theory this could just be random bad luck rather than reflecting real defensive weakness.” I then went on to say “But it comports with the eye test, in which LeBron wasn’t putting much effort in on the defensive end.” The Kawhi 2017 numbers likely fall in that “random bad luck” category, since essentially no one would say the eye test supports him being a weak defender in 2017 (including the passage you quoted—which is presenting the data as a surprise, implying it’s contrary to the eye test). The same is not at all true of 2018 LeBron. It’s also worth noting that, even just at the data level, it’s not a good analogy, because Kawhi doesn’t look nearly as bad in RAPM. For instance, Kawhi has a +0.9 DRAPM in 2017 in Engelmann’s RAPM (which was like top quarter of the league), while LeBron had a negative DRAPM in 2018 (and, as mentioned, it was like bottom 10% of the league).

In other words, for one player, there’s awful on-off data, awful RAPM data, and a general consensus that the eye test was bad. For the other player, there’s awful on-off data, decent RAPM data, and a general consensus that the eye test was really good. These are not the same at all.

And what was Kawhi’s RAPM in 2016?

You just did exactly what I predicted. No capacity to assess either as defenders, but hey, Kawhi still qualifies as a mild positive in DRAPM, and you know what, it is true that he does not look as good as he was in 2016, so no need to give it any more thought. It is the same argument, and pretty much the same indicated drop-off, just different in degree because 2016 Kawhi was starting from a Pippen-tier base and 2017 Lebron was not.

You gesture at sample size problems, but only dismissively, because here the data needs to be accurate for the narrative to work. No interest in looking at when Lebron is “bad” defensively. No interest at looking at the lineups. Nope, Lebron had possessions where I feel he looked bad, and I remember those possessions, and the data says he was bad, so he was bad. Very serious stuff from very serious people who for some reason never understand how poorly it reflects on them to only selectively care about nuance and context. So once again we are back to me not knowing whether you are just being dishonest about whether you feel Lebron “being bad” cost the team anything meaningful — they lost ten games all season by single digits, and literally only one of them was during his actual stretch of indifferent play (and it was a game where the primary issue was offence) — or whether your eye test is sincerely so out of touch that you only notice the same lowlights that everyone pounced upon and legitimately believe that the rest of the team stepped up to cover him. As always, not sure which is worse, but both are horrifically embarrassing.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#124 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:23 pm

I think all star players take plays off from time to time. You can even watch David Robinson just going for easy fakes and then his man just goes right by for a dunk. Rodman from about 94 on despite having a rep as an all time defender started caring more about being in position to get rebounds than actually defending shots quite often. People bring up LeBron's mishaps so much in part because he has been far and away the most focused upon bb player of the last 20 years. No other player has been scrutinized to near the same degree. So that is why there's so much supposed video of him making mistakes and all that because the easiest way to get clicks on something like tiktok is to put together a 20 sec video of him looking like a bad defender the night before and letting people run with it. That whole culture didn't exist back in the 80's and 90's. LeBron was probably doing it more in 2018 relative to 2009-2017 but he was 33 and coming off of 7 straight finals runs which is unprecedented in nba history with 3 or more rounds of playoffs. At the end of the day I think it can be said that he got the most out of that team that almost anyone could.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#125 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:23 pm

AEnigma wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

You just did exactly what I predicted. No capacity to assess either as defenders, but hey, Kawhi still qualifies as a mild positive in DRAPM, and you know what, it is true that he does not look as good as he was in 2016, so no need to give it any more thought. It is the same argument, and pretty much the same indicated drop-off, just different in degree because 2016 Kawhi was starting from a Pippen-tier base and 2017 Lebron was not.

You gesture at sample size problems, but only dismissively, because here the data needs to be accurate for the narrative to work. No interest in looking at when Lebron is “bad” defensively. No interest at looking at the lineups. Nope, Lebron had possessions where I feel he looked bad, and I remember those possessions, and the data says he was bad, so he was bad. Very serious stuff from very serious people who for some reason never understand how poorly it reflects on them to only selectively care about nuance and context. So once again we are back to me not knowing whether you are just being dishonest about whether you feel Lebron “being bad” cost the team anything meaningful — they lost ten games all season by single digits, and literally only one of them was during his actual stretch of indifferent play (and it was a game where the primary issue was offence) — or whether your eye test is sincerely so out of touch that you only notice the same lowlights that everyone pounced upon and legitimately believe that the rest of the team stepped up to cover him. As always, not sure which is worse, but both are horrifically embarrassing.

The difference is that LeBron being a significantly worse defender in 2018 was something corroborated by the eye test, while Kawhi being a significantly worse defender in 2017 was not something corroborated by the eye test. It’s not analogous. There’s a lot of reasons to believe LeBron was a substantially worse defender in 2018, which all coalesce into a convincing picture. You’re trying to draw an analogy to a different situation in which some of those reasons exist but others don’t (and others don’t exist to the same extent), and so the picture is naturally not nearly as convincing. It’s clearly not at all inconsistent to draw different conclusions in these two situations. And it’s honestly a little odd you can’t see that. Anyways, the rest of your post is just sarcasm and insults masking the lack of any real substantive point.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,275

Post#126 » by trex_8063 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:36 pm

Just spinning wheels at this point, guys. Probably best to just disengage.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,763

Post#127 » by Heej » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:49 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

The difference is that LeBron being a significantly worse defender in 2018 was something corroborated by the eye test, while Kawhi being a significantly worse defender in 2017 was not something corroborated by the eye test. It’s not analogous. There’s a lot of reasons to believe LeBron was a substantially worse defender in 2018, which all coalesce into a convincing picture. You’re trying to draw an analogy to a different situation in which some of those reasons exist but others don’t (and others don’t exist to the same extent), and so the picture is naturally not nearly as convincing. It’s clearly not at all inconsistent to draw different conclusions in these two situations. And it’s honestly a little odd you can’t see that. Anyways, the rest of your post is just sarcasm and insults masking the lack of any real substantive point.

It's corroborated by those who look at backline rotations (plugging up short roll lanes and spraying out to shooters, rotating to contest shots at rim or crashing for boards, and helping out the helper on closeouts (either via X-out or stunt-and-recover)); and that was actually the knock on Kawhi that season.

The whole joke was that Kawhi was standing in the corner on defense and teams weren't running actions at his side, so while it looked like he locked down a whole side of the floor he often wasn't rotating deep into the paint or rotating early to function as a yellow light that plugs gaps in the defense against

At the very least LeBron in that role when it came time to pick up the intensity absolutely carried out his duties the right way by being a primary backline communicator and executing rotations properly. Not to mention there was a very real case in 2016 for LeBron making 1st team all defense over Kawhi, so I doubt either of them actually aged all that poorly on defense given how both did on that end in 2019 and 2020 with better casts.

Think we went over this in another thread though. I believe it's fair to say LeBron wasn't providing as much value in the regular season but more than lived up to expectations on that end in the postseason
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,249

Post#128 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:12 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:If you think the eye test on LeBron’s 2018 defense and Kawhi’s 2017 defense are similar, then I don’t really know what to tell you.

The difference is that LeBron being a significantly worse defender in 2018 was something corroborated by the eye test, while Kawhi being a significantly worse defender in 2017 was not something corroborated by the eye test. It’s not analogous.

By whose? Plenty of people said Kawhi was worse — and he was, but the reason why he was worse was multifaceted. Lebron was worse on average, but again for multifaceted reasons, and the biggest reason being that he was willing to scale down his effort once games reached at a certain point. I am not saying that as praise per se, although the important bit is how it worked for the Cavaliers, but it is essential context that is not being caught by data that treats his defence as equally meaningful in a lost game as in a competitive one.

There’s a lot of reasons to believe LeBron was a substantially worse defender in 2018, which all coalesce into a convincing picture.

Chief among them being “I want to believe it so I can more easily argue for other players.”

You’re trying to draw an analogy to a different situation in which some of those reasons exist but others don’t (and others don’t exist to the same extent), and so the picture is naturally not nearly as convincing. It’s clearly not at all inconsistent to draw different conclusions in these two situations. And it’s honestly a little odd you can’t see that. Anyways, the rest of your post is just sarcasm and insults masking the lack of any real substantive point.

I can see that you desperately want them to be different, but the same issues with lineups were present, the same issues of diminished effort were present (albeit Lebron’s were more extreme and targeted), and essentially the same data decline was present (although again from different baselines). The substantive point is that half-hearted eye tests, produced either with significant internal bias or at minimum a skewed focus, will not address any of that. You need to make the effort, and multiple people in this thread have said as much. You have repeatedly disregarded them because you had a predetermined result to advance. To whatever extent you want to call that non-substantive, it is as a direct reflection of your abandonment of substance in favour of whatever you think you can use to argue a point.

You apparently read it as an insult, but if you agree with data that says Lebron was a bottom 10% defender in 2018, your eye-test is descriptively bad. And if you do not agree, then you constantly pushing that data is descriptively dishonest. The Cavaliers were a terrible defensive roster for most of the season playing heavily skewed lineups with Lebron (just like 2022, where again people thought that Lebron decided to give up on defence because Carmelo/Lebron frontcourts unsurprisingly produced terrible results). Lebron would be selective in his efforts, conserving energy that he would generally only bother to expend in competitive fourth quarters. It is not complicated, but evidently many would prefer the even greater simplicity of pretending Lebron became a bottom 10% defender.

In that middle 18-game stretch, he probably did veer into outright bad — although still nowhere near “bottom 10%” — and in that stretch, the Cavaliers were 2.5 points worse on defence than they were during the rest of the season and their offence was 10 points worse than during the rest of the season (funny how that goes). When people talk about Lebron completely half-assing his play as a signal that the team was not good enough, that was the stretch. But six years removed, now that we have people unironically trying make those same “wait, is Kawhi hurting the Spurs defence????” arguments about Lebron as a season-long performer, yeah, I think it is pretty clear who paid attention to the season and who has only ever been looking for a narrative cudgel.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#129 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:50 pm

The other thing I want to bring up re eye tests is I personally don't see them as that reliable, especially going back to games and players from 20+ years ago. I watched more nba on average in the 80's and 90's that I have since then but tbh, I know when I think back to those games that its hazy at best. Even stuff from the 00's isn't something where I'd really try to rely on eye test when I think analytics generally do a better job of telling us what was what in terms of impact. The only time I tend to rely on it above most other things is stuff like big playoff games where you get an idea of what a player's mentality was like and how they performed under pressure. I think as our memories dim on things we tend to use a lot of myth making to compensate for it.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#130 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:24 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:The other thing I want to bring up re eye tests is I personally don't see them as that reliable, especially going back to games and players from 20+ years ago. I watched more nba on average in the 80's and 90's that I have since then but tbh, I know when I think back to those games that its hazy at best. Even stuff from the 00's isn't something where I'd really try to rely on eye test when I think analytics generally do a better job of telling us what was what in terms of impact. The only time I tend to rely on it above most other things is stuff like big playoff games where you get an idea of what a player's mentality was like and how they performed under pressure. I think as our memories dim on things we tend to use a lot of myth making to compensate for it.

I think this is a good point. But the problem is that the analytics stuff is all flawed/biased and often based on low sample sizes. There’s quite a lot of potential error in the data, and so it can be hard to know to what extent data is the product of noise or other error. If we lean too hard into data, then we will inevitably end up basing conclusions on noisy and flawed/biased data. But if we lean too hard into the eye test, then we run into the kinds of issues you talked about (amongst other issues). Which is why I think a good approach is to cross-check data and eye test together to determine how confident we should be in something. If the eye test tells me something, but the data says the opposite, then my degree of confidence in any conclusion there will not be high. But if the eye test tells me the same thing as the data, then my degree of confidence will be higher. Even then, though, I wouldn’t be completely confident, because I don’t totally trust the eye test and I don’t totally trust data, and it’s possible that they’re both just wrong in the same direction. There comes a point where the data and eye test are both so unequivocal that we can have complete confidence because there’s no way that errors in either could produce the kind of difference we see. But I think there’s enough pitfalls with analysis that that only really comes into play for discussions that no one would ever actually bother having (for instance, I can say with complete confidence that LeBron James was a better player than James Jones, but no one would bother having a discussion about that). So, to me, it’s always a probabilistic exercise where we must used flawed data/analysis to assess a degree of confidence in a conclusion. As applied to the discussion on this thread, the way I see it, the data says LeBron was a bad defender in 2018 and the eye test says the same thing. That makes my degree of confidence in that conclusion pretty high, but I wouldn’t say I am 100% certain of it, because I think it is intellectually correct to acknowledge that there’s significant amounts of uncertainty associated with the kinds of data and analysis we have at our disposal in assessing basketball.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,441

Post#131 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:30 pm

Off-topic, but Kawhi's defense being that bad in 2017 certainly raises questions if that's his actual peak.

How does his defense look in the playoffs? Some of the box score metrics(overall- not just defense) grade his playoffs higher than LeBron that season.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#132 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:35 pm

TheGOATRises007 wrote:Off-topic, but Kawhi's defense being that bad in 2017 certainly raises questions if that's his actual peak.

How does his defense look in the playoffs? Some of the box score metrics(overall- not just defense) grade his playoffs higher LeBron that season.

I think it’d be hard to assess his 2017 playoffs using data, since he got injured when they faced their best opponent, and I’m not sure I trust that data would adequately correct for that. For what it’s worth, though, since it’s at my fingertips at the moment, he ranked 1st in the NBA in RAPTOR in the 2017 playoffs, including grading out as a sizable positive defensively.
Special_Puppy
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#133 » by Special_Puppy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 am

AEnigma wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:I've seen you parade these kinds of posts in multiple threads now lately, where you'll play this, "I actually watch the games idk what y'all and certain analysts are seeing" card, as if it's supposed to give you some credence or clout and is supposed to lead us to submitting to your infallible, revolutionary basketball IQ and understanding.

Believe me, and I'm sure I speak for many others when I say this: making this statement, let alone repeating it constantly, makes you look less credible, not more.

How about this. Stop posting total nonsense that anyone who watched would know is total nonsense almost immediately, and then you won’t have to read me say things like go watch some games.

I suppose I could go fish out the Windhorst article from 2018 talking about how Lebron was taking entire defensive possessions off to conserve energy for offense, or go hunt for the tweets. You have people itt claiming there was no drop off, and how it doesn’t make sense that there’d be a drop off and then suddenly his energy level is back to normal in 2020. I’m sorry, but these are people who clearly didn’t watch. You claim to be this big Lebron fan. Correct the misinformation instead of wasting your time trying to call me out for correctly calling others out who clearly didn’t watch.

Please quote where it was claimed that Lebron took zero possessions off (I suppose the accompanying implication would be Jordan never did).

None of what you have actually argued has any basis, but you seem to think no one will notice if you misrepresent what people say and then cite contemporary sources that do more to discredit your own characterisations. I already posted a 2018 article talking about Lebron’s defence, and you ignored it because it did not fit with the hypothetical reality you wanted to portray where insufficient “effort” turned Lebron into a team drain.

It has always been unfortunate how even on this board there are still so many who are more invested in mythmaking than in the actual game being played. That is how I can read page upon page of posts heavily implying that an offseason of defensive decline was what cratered Lebron’s “impact”, that actually it was the bench carrying Lebron, and that a more injured version of the exact team that lost to a less experienced Jordan the prior year was actually a secret juggernaut… while also being told in the same breath that anyone who disagrees must be trying to “rewrite history.”

If nothing else I appreciate your audacious commitment to this pretence, but posters stop being taken seriously when their obvious personal biases have completely destroyed their capacity to watch or remember a player neutrally. In this case, those of us who have spent decades watching without blinding hatred toward one and fanatic devotion toward the other know how little your eye-test and memory is worth. There are people who prefer Jordan without that degree of personal investment; however, you have spent years proving you are incapable of being one of them.

I'm late to this thread, but FWIW he's my valuation of LeBron's defense since 2015 using a composite of advanced stats
2015: +1
2016: +1.8
2017: +0.9
2018: +0.3
2019: +1
2020: +1.4
2021: +1.7
2022: +0.6
2023:+0.7

So 2018 was the low point of LeBron's defensive impact, but he's was still basically break even

For Fun here's Kawhi
2015: +3.2
2016: +3.4
2017: +1.8
2019: +1.1
2020: +1.7
2021: +1.4
2023: +1.6
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#134 » by Djoker » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:58 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:How about this. Stop posting total nonsense that anyone who watched would know is total nonsense almost immediately, and then you won’t have to read me say things like go watch some games.

I suppose I could go fish out the Windhorst article from 2018 talking about how Lebron was taking entire defensive possessions off to conserve energy for offense, or go hunt for the tweets. You have people itt claiming there was no drop off, and how it doesn’t make sense that there’d be a drop off and then suddenly his energy level is back to normal in 2020. I’m sorry, but these are people who clearly didn’t watch. You claim to be this big Lebron fan. Correct the misinformation instead of wasting your time trying to call me out for correctly calling others out who clearly didn’t watch.

Please quote where it was claimed that Lebron took zero possessions off (I suppose the accompanying implication would be Jordan never did).

None of what you have actually argued has any basis, but you seem to think no one will notice if you misrepresent what people say and then cite contemporary sources that do more to discredit your own characterisations. I already posted a 2018 article talking about Lebron’s defence, and you ignored it because it did not fit with the hypothetical reality you wanted to portray where insufficient “effort” turned Lebron into a team drain.

It has always been unfortunate how even on this board there are still so many who are more invested in mythmaking than in the actual game being played. That is how I can read page upon page of posts heavily implying that an offseason of defensive decline was what cratered Lebron’s “impact”, that actually it was the bench carrying Lebron, and that a more injured version of the exact team that lost to a less experienced Jordan the prior year was actually a secret juggernaut… while also being told in the same breath that anyone who disagrees must be trying to “rewrite history.”

If nothing else I appreciate your audacious commitment to this pretence, but posters stop being taken seriously when their obvious personal biases have completely destroyed their capacity to watch or remember a player neutrally. In this case, those of us who have spent decades watching without blinding hatred toward one and fanatic devotion toward the other know how little your eye-test and memory is worth. There are people who prefer Jordan without that degree of personal investment; however, you have spent years proving you are incapable of being one of them.

I'm late to this thread, but FWIW he's my valuation of LeBron's defense since 2015 using a composite of advanced stats

So 2018 was the low point of LeBron's defensive impact, but he's was still basically break even

For Fun here's Kawhi

Just curious.. Could you post your defensive valuation for Lebron prior to 2015 as well?
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#135 » by lessthanjake » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:55 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:How about this. Stop posting total nonsense that anyone who watched would know is total nonsense almost immediately, and then you won’t have to read me say things like go watch some games.

For Fun here's Kawhi

I’m curious what advanced stats your formulation is a compilation of.

For reference, here’s how 2017-2018 LeBron graded out defensively in various advanced metrics I’m aware of and have access to:

- Engelmann DRAPM: -0.89

- DRPM: -3.37

- NBAShotCharts DRAPM: -1.33

- Defensive RAPTOR: -1.7

- D-LEBRON: -0.23

- GitHub Regular Season DRAPM: -1.7833

- GitHub Playoff DRAPM: -0.7444

- Defensive EPM: +0.3

He is seen as a negative defender in all but one of these. Of course, the extent of exactly how bad these numbers are can’t quite be figured out from the exact numbers since we don’t know the scaling. So, just for reference, he’s about bottom 10% of the league in the Engelmann DRAPM. He was ranked #533 in the league that season in DRAPM in the NBAShotCharts RAPM (and he’s ranked 508th in their luck-adjusted version). He’s ranked in the bottom 4% of the league in DRAPM in the GitHub regular season RAPM, and bottom 10% of players in the playoffs in the GitHub playoff RAPM. He’s bottom 15% of the league in D-RAPTOR. He’s somewhat close to average in LEBRON, but definitely below average. He is actually a bit above average in defensive EPM (65th percentile). I can’t figure out the percentile for the DRPM since I can no longer sort the list by DRPM, but LeBron’s figure was really bad by the standards of this stat. He easily had the worst DRPM among any top 40 RPM player that year (and FWIW was the third worst DRPM ever recorded by a top 40 player since the stat began in 1997), and that left him ranked 31st in the league in overall RPM that season despite being ranked 2nd in ORPM.

It seems to me like the overall picture for LeBron’s 2018 defense in advanced stats is genuinely bad. Of course, you may be using different advanced stats. Maybe you’re using more box-score-centric stats? He did fine that year in box-score-centric defensive stats, like DBPM or defensive win shares. But I don’t think people put much stock in those, given how little the box score picks up defensive stuff.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#136 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:50 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
He is seen as a negative defender in all but one of these. Of course, the extent of exactly how bad these numbers are can’t quite be figured out from the exact numbers since we don’t know the scaling. So, just for reference, he’s about bottom 10% of the league in the Engelmann DRAPM. He was ranked #533 in the league that season in DRAPM in the NBAShotCharts RAPM (and he’s ranked 508th in their luck-adjusted version). He’s ranked in the bottom 4% of the league in DRAPM in the GitHub regular season RAPM, and bottom 10% of players in the playoffs in the GitHub playoff RAPM. He’s bottom 15% of the league in D-RAPTOR. He’s somewhat close to average in LEBRON, but definitely below average. He is actually a bit above average in defensive EPM (65th percentile). I can’t figure out the percentile for the DRPM since I can no longer sort the list by DRPM, but LeBron’s figure was really bad by the standards of this stat. He easily had the worst DRPM among any top 40 RPM player that year (and FWIW was the third worst DRPM ever recorded by a top 40 player since the stat began in 1997), and that left him ranked 31st in the league in overall RPM that season despite being ranked 2nd in ORPM.

It seems to me like the overall picture for LeBron’s 2018 defense in advanced stats is genuinely bad. Of course, you may be using different advanced stats. Maybe you’re using more box-score-centric stats? He did fine that year in box-score-centric defensive stats, like DBPM or defensive win shares. But I don’t think people put much stock in those, given how little the box score picks up defensive stuff.

I get what you are saying here but the only I would add is context. The Cavs as a team went into the gutter for about a 15 game stretch which led to LeBron basically I would freely admit putting in very little effort for about 10 games(at least defensively but his defense prob wasn't great before that) and led to the f/o finally shipping out most of the roster in a last ditch effort to salvage the season. From then through the playoffs I don't think his defense was nearly as bad as it had been in the previous 25+ games but it still wasn't great. So that season in itself is sort of an outlier in how you would actually grade it imo. It was a season of extreme changes and turmoil that most teams don't go through but there's more to it than just overall numbers.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,855

Post#137 » by OhayoKD » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:14 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
- GitHub Regular Season DRAPM: -1.7833

- GitHub Playoff DRAPM: -0.7444

Ah, yes, unsourced RAPM. My favorite advanced stat.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:[ It was a season of extreme changes and turmoil that most teams don't go through but there's more to it than just overall numbers.

Overall numbers all coming from the same disparate smattering of off suggesting these were the keystones of a 40-win team:

Here's how the other starters did btw

JR (11 G), -9.2, minutes with. -3.06
George Hill (13 G), -11.2, minutes with, -5.98
Rodney Hood (53 G), -10.9, minutes with, -12.26

in addition to

Kevin Love (22 G), -6, minutes with, -3.45

But you added an abverb to compensate, so not "impact data" I guess.

"look at the # of outputs which support my point!" is, more often than not, a tell of poorly supported point.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#138 » by lessthanjake » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:30 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

I get what you are saying here but the only I would add is context. The Cavs as a team went into the gutter for about a 15 game stretch which led to LeBron basically I would freely admit putting in very little effort for about 10 games(at least defensively but his defense prob wasn't great before that) and led to the f/o finally shipping out most of the roster in a last ditch effort to salvage the season. From then through the playoffs I don't think his defense was nearly as bad as it had been in the previous 25+ games but it still wasn't great. So that season in itself is sort of an outlier in how you would actually grade it imo. It was a season of extreme changes and turmoil that most teams don't go through but there's more to it than just overall numbers.

That particular time period likely hurt his numbers (though I guess we don’t know *for sure* if the impact numbers in those games were actually worse—they probably were though). But I don’t think a 10-game span of low-effort gets you some of the awful full-season numbers impact numbers we’re talking about. It can contribute, but you don’t end up like bottom 10% of the league just because of a 10-game span. Your post seems to tacitly acknowledge this, but I figured I’d make that point. I’d also note that playoff impact numbers obviously don’t include that span, and he still grades out badly in the playoff impact numbers we have from 2018. His D-RAPTOR in the 2018 playoffs was bottom 25% of players in the playoffs, and his GitHub RAPM in the playoffs was bottom 10% of players. Which isn’t at all surprising given that his defensive on-off in the playoffs was very bad. Playoff impact data is very low-sample-size, so I don’t care a whole lot about that on its own, but it does seem relevant to an argument that LeBron was not a bad defender after the roster changes. More generally, the other thing I’d note is that we are being asked to compare 1989 Jordan and 2018 LeBron, and “putting in very little effort for about 10 games” is actually part of what LeBron did that season—while obviously a random regular season stretch isn’t the most important thing, I don’t think it can or should just be handwaved away as not mattering when we are comparing 2018 LeBron to something.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#139 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:05 am

lessthanjake wrote:
That particular time period likely hurt his numbers (though I guess we don’t know *for sure* if the impact numbers in those games were actually worse—they probably were though). But I don’t think a 10-game span of low-effort gets you some of the awful full-season numbers impact numbers we’re talking about. It can contribute, but you don’t end up like bottom 10% of the league just because of a 10-game span. Your post seems to tacitly acknowledge this, but I figured I’d make that point. I’d also note that playoff impact numbers obviously don’t include that span, and he still grades out badly in the playoff impact numbers we have from 2018. His D-RAPTOR in the 2018 playoffs was bottom 25% of players in the playoffs, and his GitHub RAPM in the playoffs was bottom 10% of players. Which isn’t at all surprising given that his defensive on-off in the playoffs was very bad. Playoff impact data is very low-sample-size, so I don’t care a whole lot about that on its own, but it does seem relevant to an argument that LeBron was not a bad defender after the roster changes. More generally, the other thing I’d note is that we are being asked to compare 1989 Jordan and 2018 LeBron, and “putting in very little effort for about 10 games” is actually part of what LeBron did that season—while obviously a random regular season stretch isn’t the most important thing, I don’t think it can or should just be handwaved away as not mattering when we are comparing 2018 LeBron to something.

The issue though is that digging up poor defensive metrics for LeBron in the rs doesn't really change the argument of people saying LeBron may have actually been the better player simply because it's already being acknowledged that MJ had the better rs. LeBron for various reasons(including being 7 years older and coming off of 7 straight finals runs) was not going to come close to matching MJ's motor in 89. The argument has more to do with how well he could mix scoring + game management and playmaking plus leadership in a way MJ couldn't match at that point in his career. So bringing up the playoff stuff is sort of relevant to this discussion but still doesn't really address the thrust of why some would say LeBron was the better player when it mattered.
SportsGuru08
Junior
And1: 362

Post#140 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:57 pm

'89 Jordan was objectively a better player at both ends. '18 LeBron was gift-wrapped another Finals appearance by virtue of a pathetic East in which he didn't face a single team that was even better than the '89 Knicks.

Return to Player Comparisons