What makes Joker better than Giannis?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

kcktiny
Senior
And1: 432

Re: What makes Joker better than Giannis? 

Post#61 » by kcktiny » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:12 am

These have to be troll posts.

I don't think kctiny is trolling

In a discussion of Jokic vs. Antetokounmpo I point out that publicly available data shows Jokic is a poor shot defender. How is that trolling?

Because Jokic fans don't want to acknowledge it? Simply by pointing out what is factual?

the NBA has no stats on good rotations and thus is hard to track or evaluate good defense without the eye test

There is a decade's worth of individual player defensive FGM/FGA allowed data at stats.nba.com. How is that not helping to evaluate players on defense? The largest aspect of player defense is shot defense, and there is data available for that.

If defended shot FG% is all you're fixated on, then Jokic is pretty average despite being second in total field goal attempts defended (according to Synergy). His defended FG% differential versus actual FG% of the players he's defended is 0.

If it makes you feel better to call that "average" call it average.

But the fact is if you limit the Defense Dashboard for shots Overall to those who have faced the most shots - say 900+ FGAs - it lists 61 players. Of those 61 players Jokic's now 51.0% DFG% is the 3rd highest/worst with a +0.3 differential (ranks 43rd). So among those players who have faced the most FGAs on defense this season Jokic is clearly one of the worst, with 20 other starting Cs ranked above him. Look at 600+ FGAs faced (189 players) and his 51.0% DFG% ranks 29th among Cs and his +0.3% differential ranks 31st among Cs.

Do the same thing for FGAs <10' of the basket - say 500+ FGAs faced - Jokic allows 59.6% the 6th highest/worst, with 19 starting Cs allowing a lower FG%. His -1.0% differential ranks only 17th among starting Cs. Look at 300+ FGAs faced and that -1.0% differential ranks just 29th among Cs (starting and reserve Cs).

So - again - among Cs his shot defense this season has been poor.

Importantly, Nuggets are top 5 in total DFG% allowed and 6th in DFG% allowed inside 6 feet

That may be, but this is a thread of Jokic compared to Antetokounmpo, not Denver vs. Milwaukee.

why you ask "whose eyes?" and then you go by the stats?

Because last I checked no one can watch all games. But the camera data does. The cameras are eyes for all games.

Jokic impacts defense differently compared to other big men (not fouling, quick hands, securing the defensive rebound, reading the play) something that is not necessarily captured by the numbers you are showing

Oh I get it. Jokic is a good defender because he defends differently than all other Cs. He does what no one else can do. He's better than most on defense despite the fact that he can't stop shots from going in.

Jokic, as are the Nuggets, is absolutely coasting in the RS hence I am not expecting to strong of a defensive signal.

Oh I get it. His shot defense is poor because he's coasting? Just out of curiosity are other poor shot defending Cs like Nick Richards, Nikola Vucevic, and Jonas Valanciunas also coasting on defense?

Twisting my words again? Check.

Not comprehending that your boy Jokic is a poor shot defender? Check.

Placing sole defensive value on shot defense at the expense of everything else (a metric that actually paints him average instead of bad)? Check.

Not understanding that shot defense is the key component of a team's overall defense? Check.

Not understanding a metric such that you believe he is average? Check.

Thanks for proving my last post to be correct.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Feel free to check out WOWY, RAPM, Net rating, or past examples like LEBRON/RAPTOR, RPM, etc

Which of these include individual player shot defense in their calculations? None? Never would have guessed it.

Until then there isn't a point in arguing with someone whose mind is incorrectly made up that Jokic is a weak defender

No - correctly made up that Jokic is a poor shot defender.

Any impact metric is going to be based on what happens when a player is on the court versus off the court.

So let me get this straight. You are going to tell us how good a player is based on what happens when he doesn't play?

And you are going to do this without including publicly available individual player shot defense data?

Which means that it inherently takes shot defense into account, because that affects what happens on the court

Inherently? That's a joke.

One of the key arguments against any plus/minus on/off calculations is that they can't tell you why a player is good or bad. You simply have to trust the black box calculation. And then when you actually ask the calculators of these metrics, or question their player ratings as to why a player has a certain rating, they then cannot say why in basketball terms and simply say you don't understand exactly what the metric means.

Jokic is not great at shot defense, but yet he ends up pretty consistently looking genuinely good defensively in impact metrics.

Which is exactly why you cannot trust the results of these metrics. If one of the worst shot defending Cs in your calculation ends up ranking as good defender, ask the calculator why. See what happens.

Which very clearly suggests that the impact of his non-shot-defense strengths outweigh his shot-defense weakness.

Delusional.

And that makes a lot of sense, because he has a bunch of very significant defensive strengths.

Like?

It’s really not hard to imagine them outweighing his lack of rim protection ability.

Perhaps in your world.

deflections that do not result in turnovers are actually quite often impactful

You have some data to back up this statement, rather than a lengthy rambling soliloquy where every deflection has a positive outcome?

How about all those deflections that go right to an opponent under his basket such that he scores?

The bottom line is that the available evidence tells us that Jokic is not a good rim protector but is still a good overall defender

Again, what ever it takes to make you sleep better at night.

I simply pointed out his shot defense is poor, using publicly available data.

And if you don't want to believe that shot defense is the major component of a team's overall defense, go for it.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,855

Post#62 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:32 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:You don't need the numbers. Jokic is in a different tier of impact. It's harder to dampen what he does than what Giannis does.

With Giannis, besides him offense being not quite uo to snuff, I think his defensive impact can be diminished a bit in certain matchups (as can all bigs) by the game being more perimeter oriented than it has in the past.

Not without specifc box-score inputs...
Plus, he's simply a basketball genius. He's often in the right place or makes the right read, and he has a great motor, which makes him a strong help defender. Every advanced stat paints him as an impactful defensive player.

"Advanced" is doing alot of work here. There are plenty of granular stats where Jokic does not look good(hint, defensive tracking) and there is no limit to the possibly formulas you could conjure up with those stats or anything else someone decided to count from the game,

However, him playing in the games correlates with marginal defensive improvement, and both sides coming into play do not suggest significant seperation from a giannis and(at least for the regular season) an embid who are much worse attackers.

Raw on/off over the past 4 years or various multi-year RAPM variants would tell you Jokic is ahead of Giannis. Oh well, this discussion will be put further to bed as time moves on. This season will be just another big step in showing how Jokic is just a different level of guy.

And what does raw on/off tell us about Jokic in the playoffs?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
MyTake_1
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#63 » by MyTake_1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:50 pm

Say you swap Jokic for Giannis, would Bucks be better or worse off?
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,758

Post#64 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:47 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Not without specifc box-score inputs...

"Advanced" is doing alot of work here. There are plenty of granular stats where Jokic does not look good(hint, defensive tracking) and there is no limit to the possibly formulas you could conjure up with those stats or anything else someone decided to count from the game,

However, him playing in the games correlates with marginal defensive improvement, and both sides coming into play do not suggest significant seperation from a giannis and(at least for the regular season) an embid who are much worse attackers.

Raw on/off over the past 4 years or various multi-year RAPM variants would tell you Jokic is ahead of Giannis. Oh well, this discussion will be put further to bed as time moves on. This season will be just another big step in showing how Jokic is just a different level of guy.

You said no stat without box-score inputs as Jokic as clearly better, which I'd why I referred to RS numbers.

The PS on/off is not as good but it's a bit fluky at this sample/could indicste he is weaker on defensese in some matchup and maybe his playmaking value loses a bit of juice in the PS.

Jokic is clearly better.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,195

Post#65 » by lessthanjake » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:25 pm

kcktiny wrote:
Jokic is not great at shot defense, but yet he ends up pretty consistently looking genuinely good defensively in impact metrics.

Which is exactly why you cannot trust the results of these metrics. If one of the worst shot defending Cs in your calculation ends up ranking as good defender, ask the calculator why. See what happens.

Lol, people have spent many posts telling you tons of reasons why Jokic ends up grading out as a good defender overall despite being a bad rim protector. And your response every time has basically just been to put your fingers in your ear and chant “But his shot defense is bad.” And now you act like no one is able to give a reason why Jokic ranks as a good defender despite poor shot defense??? I think you are obviously not discussing this in good faith.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by lessthanjake » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:12 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Not without specifc box-score inputs...

The “off” sample for Jokic’s entire playoff career is only 748 minutes. That’s like the “off” sample of less than one season of regular-season on-off data, even for a player that plays every game (for reference, Jokic’s “off” sample in just this regular season is 1187 minutes). It’s not nothing, but it’s definitely small enough that we’d expect it to be noisy. And we’ve seen him be a great playoff performer, so the eye test (not to mention box score analysis) really doesn’t comport with the low-sample-size numbers. Just to take last year as an example, Jokic had just a +2.0 on-off in last year’s playoffs—which actually *lowered* his career playoff on-off. But we know he had an historically great playoff run. It’s just noisy data.

Of course, the main way to increase the accuracy of low-sample-size impact data is to layer on other statistical inputs in a way that has proven to make the data more accurate. And, as you implicitly acknowledge, doing that ends up making even Jokic’s playoff impact look great. For instance, if we take probably the most sophisticated version of that (which fortunately also happens to have playoff data specifically), we see that if we do a minutes-weighted average of Jokic’s playoff RAPTOR, it’d come out to 9.47. In contrast, Giannis’s minutes-weighted average in playoff RAPTOR is 5.68. For reference, over the 2013-2014 to 2022-2023 decade that the RAPTOR stat exists, Jokic’s is the highest minutes-weighted average of playoff RAPTOR that I can find (note: Kawhi is at 8.55; LeBron is 8.41; Steph is 8.25; Draymond is 7.97)

So the argument against Jokic’s impact here basically has to end up boiling down to “I don’t care about regular season impact data where Jokic looks great, and I will only focus on low sample size raw playoff impact data but will reject measures that layer on adjustments that generally make things more accurate in small samples, because those adjustments would make Jokic look great.” Which I think is obviously wholly unconvincing and relies on the noisiest possible thing simply because it’s the only thing that can lead to a certain conclusion.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
kcktiny
Senior

Post#67 » by kcktiny » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:14 pm

tons of reasons why Jokic ends up grading out as a good defender overall despite being a bad rim protector

You going to back up any of these reasons with data? Are there any other Cs that allow a high FG% like Jokic does that in your mind are good defenders, or is it just Jokic?

And now you act like no one is able to give a reason why Jokic ranks as a good defender despite poor shot defense???

Show some data.

I think you are obviously not discussing this in good faith.

So anyone that does not agree with you is not acting in good faith? So when you cannot obviate publicly available data that shows Jokic allows a high FG% on defense you claim the person that points it out is not discussing in good faith?

Show me a metric that accounts for shot defense that shows Jokic to be a good defender. That is one key area you know he is weak at. PER, DBPM, on/off plus/minus, show one that takes into account shot defense that shows him to be a good defender.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by lessthanjake » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 pm

kcktiny wrote:
tons of reasons why Jokic ends up grading out as a good defender overall despite being a bad rim protector

You going to back up any of these reasons with data? Are there any other Cs that allow a high FG% like Jokic does that in your mind are good defenders, or is it just Jokic?

And now you act like no one is able to give a reason why Jokic ranks as a good defender despite poor shot defense???

Show some data.

I think you are obviously not discussing this in good faith.

So anyone that does not agree with you is not acting in good faith? So when you cannot obviate publicly available data that shows Jokic allows a high FG% on defense you claim the person that points it out is not discussing in good faith?

Show me a metric that accounts for shot defense that shows Jokic to be a good defender. That is one key area you know he is weak at. PER, DBPM, on/off plus/minus, show one that takes into account shot defense that shows him to be a good defender.

As I’ve explained to you already, all the impact metrics that indicate Jokic is a good defender “account[] for shot defense” because shot defense has a significant effect on how many points your team gives up when you are on the floor. Surely you can understand that? Jokic still comes out as a good defender in those metrics despite the effect of that bad “shot defense” you keep talking about.

And there’s other more granular stats that people have already pointed out to you, in which Jokic looks really good. Defensive rebounds, contested defensive rebounds (which he leads the league in this year, for instance), Deflections, steals, number of contested shots, number of fouls committed, etc. But, of course, I don’t really think you should *need* granular stats to see the various things Jokic is quite good at on defense (nor should one need granular stats to see his weaknesses). You can just watch him play and see it. There’s no question that he has significant strengths on defense, and there’s also no question that he has significant weaknesses. The only question is really just whether, taking both the strengths and weaknesses into account, that leaves him good or bad overall. And the impact data tells us that it leaves him good overall. You seem to just be in denial about that and refuse to believe it because of a complete fixation on FG% when a player contests a shot.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#69 » by DatAsh » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:08 pm

Statlanta wrote:I don't think kctiny is trolling but his back and forth with Ambrose illuminates the fact that the NBA has no stats on good rotations and thus is hard to track or evaluate good defense without the eye test(which is subjective).

There is no stat that tells you Giannis can make the 2021 Finals block on Ayton while Jokic can't.

There's also no stat that tells you how mitigating Jokic's rebounding and scoring efficiency is on all the easy inside scores he lets offensive players make

I agree that we don't have good stats on how well a player typically positions himself.

That said, impact metrics cover all of these things, and they are the best metric we have imo, and far better than the eye test. Eye test tends to put's too much emphasis on highlight plays due to just how terrible human short term memory is(it tends to only remember things that stand out).

Looking at defensive impact data, we can see that Jokic grades out as very positive; not elite big positive(ex: Gobert, AD, Giannis etc.), but in line with what we see from elite defensive guards. Given that the Nuggets are a top 10 defensive team, and we know that Jokic being on the floor makes them better, we have to conclude that his combination of defensive attributes(positioning, rebounding, defections, shot contests/rim protection) sums/averages out to him being a good overall defender.

I think people generally underestimate just how important defensive rebounding is for team defense, especially when you can narrow that down further to contested rebounds, where Jokic leads the league. Grabbing a contested defensive rebound is a forced change of possession, which reduces the offense's FG% to 0% for that possession.

For me, Jokic is better than Giannis because I judge the gap in offense larger than the gap in defense. Giannis is a great offensive player and a great defender. I view Jokic as a GOAT offensive player and a good defender.

Maybe something like
Giannis: +4 offense and +4 defense, Jokic: +8 offense and +2 defense
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:25 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

You said no stat without box-score inputs as Jokic as clearly better, which I'd why I referred to RS numbers.

Nope:
You don't need the numbers. Jokic is in a different tier of impact. It's harder to dampen what he does than what Giannis does.

With Giannis, besides him offense being not quite uo to snuff, I think his defensive impact can be diminished a bit in certain matchups (as can all bigs) by the game being more perimeter oriented than it has in the past.

No stat is something you conjured up. You also picked a time-frame.

Let's be clear.

There are sourced rapms which favor giannis and Embid. 2-year WOWY sees Giannis peak higher in the regular season. And while Giannis trails jokic in regular season on/off (over more years and minutes), he doubles him in playoff on/off (over more years and minutes).

You can say he's easier to stop, but you have to be specific about what playoff filters you want to apply because in raw performance the Bucks improve.

Giannis also is currently the player whose team has seen more regular season and playoff success, and also the player who has been competitive in the postseason when their best teammates have missed time.

In short Jokic being in a "different tier" is little more than baseless speculation based on an arbitrary weighing of their skillsets. You can like offense bettwe. The idea that Jokic is on a different tier is...much like the idea of him being a goat-level player, is not what the data suggests
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:46 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

The “off” sample for Jokic’s entire playoff career is only 748 minutes. That’s like the “off” sample of less than one season of regular-season on-off data, even for a player that plays every game (for reference, Jokic’s “off” sample in just this regular season is 1187 minutes). It’s not nothing, but it’s definitely small enough that we’d expect it to be noisy. And we’ve seen him be a great playoff performer, so the eye test (not to mention box score analysis) really doesn’t comport with the low-sample-size numbers. Just to take last year as an example, Jokic had just a +2.0 on-off in last year’s playoffs—which actually *lowered* his career playoff on-off. But we know he had an historically great playoff run. It’s just noisy data.
And now sample size matters. Interesting.
Of course, the main way to increase the accuracy of low-sample-size impact data is to layer on other statistical inputs in a way that has proven to make the data more accurate. And, as you implicitly acknowledge, doing that ends up making even Jokic’s playoff impact look great.

I explicitly acknowledged cherrypicking the right basketball actions and weighing them the right way makes him look better, yes. Just like cherrypicking the wrong ones and weighing the wrong ones would make him look worse, yes.

Cutting the dead weight.
sample size raw playoff impact data but will reject measures that layer on adjustments that generally make things more accurate in small samples, because those adjustments would make Jokic look great.” Which I think is obviously wholly unconvincing and relies on the noisiest possible thing simply because it’s the only thing that can lead to a certain conclusion.

Jokic does not clear Giannis in rs or playoff data. So...not sure your point.
kcktiny
Senior

Post#72 » by kcktiny » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:19 am

As I’ve explained to you already, all the impact metrics that indicate Jokic is a good defender “account[] for shot defense” because shot defense has a significant effect on how many points your team gives up when you are on the floor. Surely you can understand that?

Jesus.

So pick one or two of these metrics already, and list the top 30 Cs in defense. Show us where Jokic ranks on defense. Show all the Cs Jokic is better than defensively.

And the impact data tells us that it leaves him good overall.

You have continually yapped about this - nonstop - well show this data already. Geez.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,758

Post#73 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 am

OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:And what does raw on/off tell us about Jokic in the playoffs?

Nope:
You don't need the numbers. Jokic is in a different tier of impact. It's harder to dampen what he does than what Giannis does.

Let's be clear.

There are sourced rapms which favor giannis and Embid. 2-year WOWY sees Giannis peak higher in the regular season. And while Giannis trails jokic in regular season on/off (over more years and minutes), he doubles him in playoff on/off (over more years and minutes).

You can say he's easier to stop, but you have to be specific about what playoff filters you want to apply because in raw performance the Bucks improve.

Giannis also is currently the player whose team has seen more regular season and playoff success, and also the player who has been competitive in the postseason when their best teammates have missed time.

In short Jokic being in a "different tier" is little more than baseless speculation based on an arbitrary weighing of their skillsets. You can like offense bettwe. The idea that Jokic is on a different tier is...much like the idea of him being a goat-level player, is not what the data suggests

You literally wrote "Not without specifc box-score inputs..." in your response.

So yes you did. I'm not getting into a semantics argument with you, especially over topic that is obvious to most people.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by lessthanjake » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:12 pm

kcktiny wrote:
As I’ve explained to you already, all the impact metrics that indicate Jokic is a good defender “account[] for shot defense” because shot defense has a significant effect on how many points your team gives up when you are on the floor. Surely you can understand that?

Jesus.

So pick one or two of these metrics already, and list the top 30 Cs in defense. Show us where Jokic ranks on defense. Show all the Cs Jokic is better than defensively.

And the impact data tells us that it leaves him good overall.

You have continually yapped about this - nonstop - well show this data already. Geez.

There’s tons of examples, and I’ve already mentioned at least one example earlier in this thread.

How about this Engelmann career RAPM? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bg8KxzagN7D0O16EmUO9_kCyXwthEUjKywlrWPQUQt8/edit#gid=0. Jokic with a -2.2 in DRAPM (with negative numbers being better than positive). Of course, top defensive big men like Duncan, Garnett, Gobert, Dikembe, Ben Wallace, David Robinson, and Draymond are comfortably ahead of him (those sorts of guys have around a -5 DRAPM). But Jokic is up there with a lot of other good defensive big men (as well as really good wing and guard defenders). Of particular note, Giannis’s DRAPM in that measure is -2.4. Anthony Davis’s is -2.3. Al Horford has a -2.0. Dwight Howard has a -2.5. Marc Gasol is -2.6. Serge Ibaka has a -1.5. Brook Lopez is at -1.3. Bam has a -2.9. Joakim Noah has a -1.7. Jaren Jackson Jr. has a -1.9. That’s not even mentioning all the lesser big men Jokic is above, or the elite wing defenders that Jokic is comparable to. You can look at the list yourself. Jokic looks very good by career DRAPM, though obviously below historically elite defensive centers.

We could also look at season-by-season impact measures. For instance, let’s look at perhaps the most sophisticated one: RAPTOR. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/. Last season, his D-RAPTOR was 5th in the league, behind only Lopez, Embiid, AD, and Caruso. Two seasons ago, his D-RAPTOR was 2nd in the league, behind only Gobert. In fact, Jokic’s D-RAPTOR that year was so high that it was the 4th highest D-RAPTOR of the last ten years, behind only a couple Gobert seasons and a Draymond season. I think his defense the last two years is probably a bit overrated by this stat (single-season data isn’t high sample size so there’s noise here), and indeed there was reversion to the mean a bit with the prior two years just being okay at best. Meanwhile, if we go back to 2018-2019, he’s got a very similar D-RAPTOR to Giannis (+2.7 vs. +2.9). Overall, if we take an average of Jokic’s last five years, it comes out to an average of a +2.74 D-RAPTOR. Giannis’s average D-RAPTOR in the last five years is +2.62. Bam’s average the last five years is +2.60. Marc Gasol’s average from 2014-2019 (i.e. the still prime years for him that RAPTOR exists for) is +2.55. Lesser defensive centers that are still solid defenders, such as Steven Adams, average more like +1.5.

Another example of a season-by-season metric is Estimated Plus Minus. This is a measure that allows us to filter to see what percentile a player is ranked at defensively amongst those at his position. In his career, Jokic has been in the following percentile amongst centers in defense: 99th, 97th, 86th, 95th, 93rd, 59th, 87th, 61st, and 49th. So, again, while there’s obviously variance year to year in this sort of stat, overall this paints Jokic as a very good defensive player overall, even amongst centers.

There are plenty of other measures, but by now I think the point should be clear.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by lessthanjake » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:12 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:And what does raw on/off tell us about Jokic in the playoffs?

And now sample size matters. Interesting.

Lol, this is a crazy comment to make to me. There’s basically no one on this forum that more consistently cautions about sample sizes—whether doing so supports or weakens the particular point the person is making—than I do.

Jokic does not clear Giannis in rs or playoff data. So...not sure your point.

Yes he does.

Let’s look at a survey of various impact measures and note who is ahead in each (focusing on these past four years, since no one would say Jokic was better than Giannis before that, unless perhaps we went way far back before either were stars). I’ve noted the size of the margin for each, and then for reference put the average of their scores in each metric over the relevant years (not exactly methodologically valid to just take the average, but I think it’s generally informative so I included):

Engelmann Career Regular Season + Playoff RAPM

Career: Jokic (by a huge margin: 9.7 vs. 5.4)

(Note: When Engelmann layered on several additional somewhat controversial adjustments—for age and coaching—Jokic is still ahead by a large margin: 8.5 vs. 5.1)

RAPTOR Regular Season + Playoffs

2020-2021: Jokic (by a huge margin: 13.2 vs. 5.4)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a huge margin: 14.6 vs. 8.1)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a large margin: 9.2 vs. 6.6)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a huge margin: 12.3 vs. 6.7)

Real Plus Minus

2020-2021: Giannis (by the tiniest of margins: 5.09 vs. 5.08)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a large margin: 11.78 vs. 8.18)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a good margin: 7.39 vs. 5.95)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a good margin: 8.08 vs. 6.41)

Estimated Plus Minus

2020-2021: Jokic (by a large margin: 8.1 vs. 5.6)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a good margin: 9.2 vs. 7.3)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a good margin: 7.9 vs. 6.4)
2023-2024: Giannis (by a small margin: 7.4 vs. 7.0)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a good margin: 8.1 vs. 6.8)

LEBRON

2020-2021: Jokic (by a good margin: 6.83 vs. 5.55)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a good margin: 7.80 vs. 6.54)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a good margin: 7.31 vs. 5.87)
2023-2024: Jokic (by a small margin: 6.56 vs. 6.16)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a good margin: 7.13 vs. 6.03)

NBAShotCharts RAPM

2020-2021: Giannis (by a small margin: 2.17 vs. 1.77)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a large margin: 3.57 vs. 2.42)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a huge margin: 3.62 vs. 2.14)

Three-Year RAPM: Jokic (by a large margin: 6.6 vs. 4.62) (note: NBAShotCharts actually has calculated a separately-scaled three-year RAPM calculation for these years, so I’m using that here, instead of averaging the above numbers)

NBAShotCharts Luck-Adjusted RAPM

2020-2021: Jokic (by a good margin: 2.93 vs. 2.04)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a good margin: 2.99 vs. 2.19)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a large margin: 3.46 vs. 2.37)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a huge margin: 7.19 vs. 4.4) (note: NBAShotCharts actually has calculated a separately-scaled three-year RAPM calculation for these years, so I’m using that here, instead of averaging the above numbers).

Raw On-Off

2020-2021: Giannis (by a small margin: 6.7 vs. 6.4)
2021-2022: Jokic (by a large margin: 16.4 vs. 11.0)
2022-2023: Jokic (by a huge margin: 21.9 vs. 7.8)
2023-2024: Jokic (by a huge margin: 19.7 vs. 9.2)

Average of these years: Jokic (by a huge margin: 16.1 vs. 8.8) (note: I didn’t average the above numbers, but rather took basketball-reference’s four-year data on this).

Meanwhile, there’s also the playoff-only RAPTOR data I provided in my earlier post, in which I showed that Jokic’s minutes-weighted average playoff RAPTOR is +9.47, way ahead of Giannis’s +5.68. Jokic also has a higher playoff RAPTOR in each individual playoffs in the years analyzed above.

It’s also worth noting that Jokic looks even more superior if we looked at the versions of this data that weight by minutes played (i.e. the versions where they convert it to things like Wins Above Replacement), since Jokic plays more than Giannis. In other discussions, you’ve stated you prefer those versions of the metrics more. I didn’t use them here, since I don’t prefer them, but obviously they’d weigh even further in Jokic’s favor. I should also note that, in many cases, the 2019 and 2020 seasons for Giannis were better than his more recent ones in these measures, but, even if we threw those numbers in for Giannis specifically (ignoring that it’d be throwing in years that are likely scaled differently), in no case would his overall average in these metrics end up at the level of Jokic’s recent years—and, in any event, this thread seems focused more on who is better in recent years, rather than a question of how 2019 & 2020 Giannis compares to more recent Jokic (which is also not a comparison most would make, given Giannis's playoff struggles in those years).

Anyways, overall, Jokic absolutely “clears” Giannis in impact data. It’s really just not debatable.
kcktiny
Senior

Post#76 » by kcktiny » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:44 pm

But Jokic is up there with a lot of other good defensive big men

Is that a fact.

Looking at defensive impact data, we can see that Jokic grades out as very positive; not elite big positive(ex: Gobert, AD, Giannis etc.),

Ah - so one of you admits Anthony Davis is a "elite big positive" for defense, much better than Jokic.

Jokic with a -2.2 in DRAPM... Of particular note, Giannis’s DRAPM in that measure is -2.4. Anthony Davis’s is -2.3.

But another says Jokic is the same as Anthony Davis.

Maybe the two of you should compare notes.

In fact, Jokic’s D-RAPTOR that year was so high that it was the 4th highest D-RAPTOR of the last ten years, behind only a couple Gobert seasons and a Draymond season.

And now you want to claim Jokic is as good or right up there defensively with Gobert and Dr.Green??

So someone - or a number of someones - posts metrics they claim measures individual player defense, and you buy it?

Seriously?

Between them Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Brook Lopez, Dwight Howard, Draymond Green, Rudy Gobert, and Jaren Jackson were named to the all-defensive team 26 times, with hundreds of votes. Five of them count 9 DPOY awards.

In 8 full seasons Jokic:

- has never been named to an all-defensive team
- has 1 - count that just 1 - vote/point for an all-defensive team in 8 seasons
- has never been named as DPOY
- does not have a single vote - not even one - for DPOY in 8 seasons

So the voters for these two awards - the all-defensive team and DPOY - who watch a lot more basketball than either you or I (and those who create these calculations that supposedly measure defense), over 8 seasons clearly did not think much of Jokic on defense.

But you want us to believe what some mathematicians who don't watch anywhere near the amount of basketball the voters of these awards did?

You fervently claim these calculations - that you cannot reproduce yourselves, that you accept sight unseen, and yet claim they "inherently" include everything about defense including things like shot defense - are true measures of individual player defense?

There are plenty of other measures, but by now I think the point should be clear.

Very clear. Talk about not passing the laugh test. And being gullible.

Again, let's make this easy for you. List your top defensive Cs for this current season.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by lessthanjake » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:04 pm

kcktiny wrote:
But Jokic is up there with a lot of other good defensive big men

Is that a fact.

Looking at defensive impact data, we can see that Jokic grades out as very positive; not elite big positive(ex: Gobert, AD, Giannis etc.),

Ah - so one of you admits Anthony Davis is a "elite big positive" for defense, much better than Jokic.

Jokic with a -2.2 in DRAPM... Of particular note, Giannis’s DRAPM in that measure is -2.4. Anthony Davis’s is -2.3.

But another says Jokic is the same as Anthony Davis.

Maybe the two of you should compare notes.

In fact, Jokic’s D-RAPTOR that year was so high that it was the 4th highest D-RAPTOR of the last ten years, behind only a couple Gobert seasons and a Draymond season.

And now you want to claim Jokic is as good or right up there defensively with Gobert and Dr.Green??

So someone - or a number of someones - posts metrics they claim measures individual player defense, and you buy it?

Seriously?

Between them Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Brook Lopez, Dwight Howard, Draymond Green, Rudy Gobert, and Jaren Jackson were named to the all-defensive team 26 times, with hundreds of votes. Five of them count 9 DPOY awards.

In 8 full seasons Jokic:

- has never been named to an all-defensive team
- has 1 - count that just 1 - vote/point for an all-defensive team in 8 seasons
- has never been named as DPOY
- does not have a single vote - not even one - for DPOY in 8 seasons

So the voters for these two awards - the all-defensive team and DPOY - who watch a lot more basketball than either you or I (and those who create these calculations that supposedly measure defense), over 8 seasons clearly did not think much of Jokic on defense.

But you want us to believe what some mathematicians who don't watch anywhere near the amount of basketball the voters of these awards did?

You fervently claim these calculations - that you cannot reproduce yourselves, that you accept sight unseen, and yet claim they "inherently" include everything about defense including things like shot defense - are true measures of individual player defense?

Very clear. Talk about not passing the laugh test. And being gullible.

Again, let's make this easy for you. List your top defensive Cs for this current season.

This is a silly post, and I think you know it. No, I do not think Jokic is up there with Gobert and Draymond defensively. But, as I very clearly stated in my post you were replying to, single-season data is noisy and if we look at all of Jokic’s past several seasons in order to get a higher sample size, we find him with a D-RAPTOR that is definitely not as good as Gobert or Draymond but still is very good. You completely ignored that and beat on a straw man, because you are not arguing in good faith.

The bottom line is this: You said Jokic is a bad defender because of shot defense stats. Others pointed out to you that, while he is weak at that aspect of defense, he has a bunch of significant strengths defensively that more than make up for it. You responded over and over by just putting your fingers in your ears and screaming about shot defense. People pointed out that impact measures inherently take into account both the effect of bad shot defense and the effect of Jokic’s defensive strengths (since both things affect how much opponents score when he’s on the court), and they grade Jokic out as a good defensive player, albeit not an elite one. You then somehow bizarrely responded by acting like no one can explain what about Jokic’s defense would make that happen. I pointed out that multiple people had already explained his defensive strengths to you and you’d just ignored it. You then asked to see the impact measures in question, as if impact measures that suggest Jokic is a good defender don’t exist. I provided examples that showed what I and others have told you. And now you’re basically just saying you don’t believe the numbers. Ultimately, you’ve been provided with data and a boatload of reasons why that data comes out the way it does. You refuse to believe it. That’s fine, but it’s obviously not worth discussing with you, because you’re just crashing around like a go-kart, going from one silly point to another. You don’t think Jokic is a good defender. We get it. There’s good reason to think you are wrong. End of story.
kcktiny
Senior

Post#78 » by kcktiny » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:36 pm

This is a silly post, and I think you know it.

These metrics that claim Jokic is a very good defender are silly, and I know you know it.

No, I do not think Jokic is up there with Gobert and Draymond defensively.

Well one of these metrics certainly does:

Two seasons ago, his D-RAPTOR was 2nd in the league, behind only Gobert. In fact, Jokic’s D-RAPTOR that year was so high that it was the 4th highest D-RAPTOR of the last ten years, behind only a couple Gobert seasons and a Draymond season.

Am I mis-reading this or does this statement claim Jokic's ratings are right up there with two of the very best defenders of the past decade? How do you intepret this statement?

Yet you want us to believe these metrics?

single-season data is noisy

Why don't you just come out and say it? Noisy? Come on - it is useless in a single season sampling. Period.

How "noisy" is it over two seasons? Three seasons? How many seasons do you need before it tells your something that is supposedly of significance?

you are not arguing in good faith.

So - again - because someone does not agree with you they do not argue in good faith? Is this how you win all your debates? Claiming only you are right as those who disagree with you have no valid argument and are not arguing in good faith?

You said Jokic is a bad defender because of shot defense stats.

I said Jokic is a poor shot defender.

There’s good reason to think you are wrong. End of story.

Once again, when you contest the results - player ratings/rankings - of plus/minus on/off mathematical concoctions and their devotees - they pack up and go home.

Why? Because they have no clue why the ratings/rankings end up as they do. When you question some of their results, they respond with "...well, he might do this, or he might do that, or he does what no one else does..." without specifying what that is.

They can't explain why.

it’s obviously not worth discussing with you

Again, when someone does not agree with you, or questions plus/minus on/off results, the devotee exits.

Well, for what it's worth, it was worth discussing with you, just to expose the hypocrisy of these "advanced" player impact metrics you claim truly represent the real world.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#79 » by lessthanjake » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:48 pm

kcktiny wrote:
This is a silly post, and I think you know it.

These metrics that claim Jokic is a very good defender are silly, and I know you know it.

No, I do not think Jokic is up there with Gobert and Draymond defensively.

Well one of these metrics certainly does:

Two seasons ago, his D-RAPTOR was 2nd in the league, behind only Gobert. In fact, Jokic’s D-RAPTOR that year was so high that it was the 4th highest D-RAPTOR of the last ten years, behind only a couple Gobert seasons and a Draymond season.

Am I mis-reading this or does this statement claim Jokic's ratings are right up there with two of the very best defenders of the past decade? How do you intepret this statement?

Yet you want us to believe these metrics?

single-season data is noisy

Why don't you just come out and say it? Noisy? Come on - it is useless in a single season sampling. Period.

How "noisy" is it over two seasons? Three seasons? How many seasons do you need before it tells your something that is supposedly of significance?

you are not arguing in good faith.

So - again - because someone does not agree with you they do not argue in good faith? Is this how you win all your debates? Claiming only you are right as those who disagree with you have no valid argument and are not arguing in good faith?

You said Jokic is a bad defender because of shot defense stats.

I said Jokic is a poor shot defender.

There’s good reason to think you are wrong. End of story.

Once again, when you contest the results - player ratings/rankings - of plus/minus on/off mathematical concoctions and their devotees - they pack up and go home.

Why? Because they have no clue why the ratings/rankings end up as they do. When you question some of their results, they respond with "...well, he might do this, or he might do that, or he does what no one else does..." without specifying what that is.

They can't explain why.

it’s obviously not worth discussing with you

Again, when someone does not agree with you, or questions plus/minus on/off results, the devotee exits.

Well, for what it's worth, it was worth discussing with you, just to expose the hypocrisy of these "advanced" player impact metrics you claim truly represent the real world.

There’s literally nothing new here that I haven’t already addressed in my last few posts to you. So I won’t repeat myself and anyone who wants to see what my response is can just read my prior posts. Obviously this is going nowhere. Others can read our exchange and decide for themselves what they think—I’m confident that virtually no one will be convinced by what you’ve said. Either way though, have a nice day.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by OhayoKD » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:54 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

Nope:

Let's be clear.

You literally wrote "Not without specifc box-score inputs..." in your response.

What without specific inputs? Why are you throwing a dependent clause and then ignoring what it was in reply to? (The question is rhetorical, you did it to distract from the fact you lied about what someone said)

So yes you did. I'm not getting into a semantics argument with you

You are uninterested in semantics because you do not care about meaning. You are intentionally or unintentionally(history suggests the former) misrepresenting what someone means.

Lessthanjake wrote:Lol, this is a crazy comment to make to me. There’s basically no one on this forum that more consistently cautions about sample sizes—whether doing so supports or weakens the particular point being made—than I do.

I assume you meant to say no one is more consistently cautioned
Yes he does.

Let’s look at a survey of various impact measures and note who is ahead in each (focusing on these past four years, since no one would say Jokic was better than Giannis before that

So one RAPM set with disparate samples and...rapm mixed with cherrypicked and arbitrarily weighed basketball actions. Cute. Darko and LEBRON have their own inputs and favor Giannis. Infinite stats with a similar approach can be made, but you are concerned with how many outputs people have been willing to generate rather than what those outputs actually prove.

That said, if we decide not to exclude Gianni's two MVP years from this regular-season discussion with stats you utilized, RPM potrays the two as peers:
Spoiler:
Jokic/Giannis:

23: 7.39 / 5.95
22: 11.78 / 8.18
21: 5.08 / 5.09
20: 6.01 / 10.30
19: 3.58 / 6.12
18: 3.60 / 3.38
17: 4.78 / 3.13
16: 4.45 / -0.57
Average: 5.83 / 5.20

Over actual games WOWY puts Giannis near for 1-year and 7-year and higher for 2-years on much better teams, and Cryptbeam rapm prefers Giannis with JE's previous set putting them similar for their career despite giannis playing more(not to mention, as highlighted earlier, jokic getting very high rapm in low minutes in his early years).

Spot minutes favors Jokic, +12 vs +7 since 2018, +10 vs +6 since 2016(pbp)

And then if we look at the postseason:
Spoiler:
Keeping in mind Giannis has made 8 post-seasons to Jokic's 5

Giannis and the Bucks in the playoffs
2015: lose to the bulls as a role-player

2017: Giannis becomes a fringe superstar, team sees +3 srs improvement and plays a razor-close series(<1 ppg, 6 games) vs the +3.65 srs opponent(Giannis puts up strong offensive production)

2018: Giannis is a fringe MVP candidate, team mantains in the rs, and then playes an even closer series vs +3.2 srs Boston who nearly make the finals after beating the near +4.5 srs Sixers

2019: Giannis gets a not bad coach for the first time in his career and breaks out as a historically strong MVP winner as the Bucks jump by 8 points to post a historically remarkable +8 srs team(almost never happens in non-expansion periods) despite a cast that plays at .500 without him form 19-20(and marginally above from 21-23. That team improves to +13.75 in the playoffs on the back of a big defensive improvement. They are merely +7 in that oh so bad 6-game(1 ppg) loss to a coasting Toronto side which saw a cast capable of 60-win basketball add Kawhi Leonard, aka, clutch Durant, aka "resiliency king". In the conference finals Giannis's offensive production falters against one of the best defenses ever but he also puts up one of the best defensive performances ever to push a toronto side about as good as anyone Jokic has ever faced and far better than any team Jokic has ever beat to the brink(double-overtime and giannis fouling out prevented a 3-0 defecit).

2020: Giannis has one of the very best regular seasons ever(arguably better than any regular season from certain players who have already been voted in) and the Bucks post a +9.41 SRS(basically unheard of in non-expansion periods) with a team that plays average basketball without Antetokounmpo. Team collapses defensively in the bubble and are upset by the eventual finalists despite Giannis's offensive production improving from last year as their defense is torched by Miami. There is injury context with Giannis eventually missing a game and 3 quarters.

2021: Giannis coasts as merely a top 3 regular season player in the regular season and the Bucks post a +5.6 SRS(4th in the league) with a team that is a bit above .500 without him. The Bucks again get significantly better in the playoffs on the back of their defense and Giannis is good to great on both ends throughout as Giannis becomes one of the few players to win a championship...
-> without a 2nd superstar
-> without perennial all-star
-> without "help" that is significantly > .500 without him
-> without a strong playoff coach

The competition is fairly weak, but so was the support, and ultimately it's topped off with Giannis posting one of the greatest performances ever against a very good team on both ends of the floor

2022: Giannis is again, merely a top 3 regular season player, and the Bucks regress to +3(7th best) with the big-three missing a significant number of games. Bucks are(opponent-adjusted) more than +12 against the Bulls with Middleton and take a near-champion to 7 without a middleton in a not that close series(+8 point differential). Overall Bucks improve dramatically. again, on the back of their defense.

2023: Every contender is coasting and Giannis is again merely a top 3 regular season player as the Bucks post a 3rd best +3.61 SRS despite Middleton missing a bunch of games. Against Miami, Giannis misses almost half the series and is injured throughout. Consequently, the Bucks defense collapses as they lose to the eventual finalists(again)

8 postseasons total, 7 as a superstar, and the Bucks underperform twice and overperform 5 times despite a deeply flawed postseason coach, a cast who generally falls off in the playoffs(shooting especially). Both underperformances have injury context and when they lose, they are mostly losing to champions or finalists,

Now let's do Jokic:

Jokic and the Nuggets in the playoffs

2019 Jokic is a fringe MVP candidate and Nuggets see a 2.5 SRS improvement to post a strong +4.13(7th best). They win a razor-close series against the +1.8 Spurs(7 games, 1 ppg) and then lose a razor-close series(7 games, actually outscore by 1 ppg) against the +4.4 SRS Nuggets who proceed to get destroyed in a sweep against a losing-finalist. You may recall the champion that year was that Raptors side that just about survived Giannis.

2020 Jokic is again a fringe MVP candidate and the Nuggets regress to +2.5 thanks to injuries to Jokic's best teammates. In the playoffs they get lucky against the +2.5 Jazz winning in 7 despite getting outscored by 3-points a game. They then upset the +6.6 Clippers in a close series(7 games, <1ppg) before getting thumped by the eventual champs(5 games, 4 ppg). You may recall the Heat, without their leading scorer and with their defensive anchor hobbled, were the only team all playoffs to take the Lakers to a 6th game.

2021 MVP Jokic leads a +4.8 Nuggets side(6th best) despite a team that is outright bad without him. They proceed to win a razor-close series against the +1.8 Trailblazers(6 games, actually outscored) and are then obliterated in a sweep against the +5.5 eventual finalist Suns(15! ppg). Those suns would lose to...checks notes...Giannis's Bucks. Nuggets are bad without Jokic

2022 B2B MVP Jokic leads a +2.15 Nuggets team(injuries play a big-factor) and then is thumped in 5 by the +5.15 eventual champs(8 ppg).

2023 Should have been B2B2B MVP Jokic, with a team that is still bad without him in 13 games, leads the Nuggets to a +3 srs(6th best in the league). Against a relatively weak field(though everyone coasting undersells the competition) they are dominant in the postseason going 16-6 with a m.o.v of +8. This is an all-time dominant run, but it also coincides with dramatic cast elevation and unusually favorable injury context(like Milwaukee's 2021 Run). Nonetheless as a singular note it has a decent case against anything Giannis has done considering
-> team is bad without him(in the regular-season anyway)
-> unusually dominant
-> One-superstar(Murray is close)

5 postseasons total, I think it's fair to say the Nuggets overperformed in 2 and underperformed in 2. A weaker trackrecord than Giannis's Bucks despite
-> a better playoff coach
-> teammates generally elevating(Murray arguably outplayed Jokic in 2020)

The Nuggets are also flatly a far worse regular-season and postseason team getting destroyed when they face eventual finalists and champions which Milwaukee only really do if Giannis gets hurt. When the Nuggets faced a 2019 Raptors-calibre opponent, they were crushed despite Murray playing like a superstar. The Bucks have never suffered a defeat like the Nuggets did against the suns despite running into an eventual or defending finalist each of the last 5 playoffs.

Giannis's Bucks have also posted 2 regular-seasons where their srs nearly doubled any of the suns and one of those regular-seasons was followed by post-season improvement and a tough fight against the type of team the nuggets tend to get dominated by.

All considered, saying Giannis has "Playoff issues" and Jokic doesn't seems like you're applying a gigantic double-standard because Jokic id a one-way player while Giannis is a two-way one. Just like when we act like Jordan was "perfect" any-run he posts sub-2009 Lebron box-aggregates or when we act like Shaq is more "unstoppable" than two-way bigs because defense doesn't matter.

Excepting their championship years, Giannis has led far better regular season and playoff teams, and has also has a significant longetivity advantage, while elevating more often. And while Jokic's regular-season impact looks great(like Giannis)...

Statistically the Giannis Bucks seem to overperform their rs performance more frequently facing a tougher slate of opponents.

You and Luka seem to think this constitutes "clearing" Giannis statistically, but I would say that applies far more strongly to what we have between Jokic and, hmm, what was his name again? Oh yes:
Spoiler:
Tired of hearing about LeBron yet? Too bad. LeBron has two unique five year stretches during which he had a higher RAPM than all but one other player’s best single five year stretch. In other word, LeBron’s 6.15 RAPM from 2006 to 2010 is the 4th highest five year RAPM peak since 1997. Of the three five year stretches ahead, two belong to LeBron and both of those stretches didn’t overlap with the 2006-10 stretch at all.

Giannis is around where winning seems to think Jokic should be considered.

Return to Player Comparisons