2023-24 RealGM All-Season Awards Discussion Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,867

Re: 2023-24 RealGM All-Season Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#101 » by OhayoKD » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
rk2023 wrote:I see +/- this year in particular underselling Luka, and I further think Shai benefits from a better spacing & coaching context.

Could you elaborate on your thinking here - both your first point and your second?

Well, as you've commented on, there is the "net-rating without the starters" bit where Luka massively outshines everyone.

But there is also just what happens when we drop spot minutes and focus on full games:

Mavericks without Luka

4-8, 27 win pace, -10 net rating

Mavericks with Luka

46-24, 53 win pace, +4 net rating

That sort of swing is pretty rare over substantial samples(my filter is > 10 games) and it adds to a career trend where Luka's teams look alot better without him in a few minutes without him than they do when they have to hold the fort for full games.

For this season (with that sample filter), that's the 2nd best differential (behind Joel Embid) and comparable to what we saw with Jokic last season
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,553

Post#102 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm

AEnigma wrote:Executive Award Wins I would say undeniably required looking at roster moves outside of that one season:
    - Angelo Drossos for the 1978 Spurs
    - Bob Ferry for the 1979 Bullets
    - Stan Kasten for the 1986 and 1987 Hawks!
    - Bucky Buckwalter for the 1991 Blazers (unless we are going all in on a trade for seventh man Danny Ainge)
This is to say nothing of the borderline indefensible (by the supposed principle of the award) but theoretically justifiable wins, of which there are several, e.g. Frank Layden apparently being awarded for drafting Thurl Bailey as a fifth starter in 1984. One of my favourites: 2014 R.C. Buford, because he… signed Marco Belinelli in free agency. Compelling stuff.

So, y'all are making great points with specific examples and I'd say clearly I need to be more flexible on this.

My main question would be: How then should we specify the rules for EOY?

On your specifics, I'll say that the Buford mention really resonated with me. Clearly by 2014 the NBA was run by executive were something other than just golf buddies with the owner, and they chose to honor Buford in 2014 as a kind of culminating "look what he has put together" honor. Me telling y'all you can't do the same seems silly.

I would still really emphasize the following point though: EOY has neve been an award where it makes sense to add up EOY shares to determine the GOAT GM, and I don't think we should try to make it that.

One last thing: I don't think Kasten winning back-to-back awards is something that indicates that they were looking at culmination of team-building. Consider first that those Hawks really never amounted to all that much. By contrast the '85-86 Celtics were, in Bill Simmons' opinion, the best thing in the history of the universe, but no Celtic GM was getting EOY honors in that year or any other year they won titles in the '80s. Same for the Lakers.

This then to say: I think Buford winning in 2014 has as much to do with there not being a strong candidate based on that year's worth of work as it did them wanting to honor Buford. I think generally if there's someone who made big moves in the last year that other execs want to celebrate, that's who gets the award.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,426

Post#103 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
rk2023 wrote:I see +/- this year in particular underselling Luka, and I further think Shai benefits from a better spacing & coaching context.

Could you elaborate on your thinking here - both your first point and your second?

Well, as you've commented on, there is the "net-rating without the starters" bit where Luka massively outshines everyone.

But there is also just what happens when we drop spot minutes and focus on full games:

Mavericks without Luka

Mavericks with Luka

That sort of swing is pretty rare over substantial samples(my filter is > 10 games) and it adds to a career trend where Luka's teams look alot better without him in a few minutes without him than they do when they have to hold the fort for full games.

For this season (with that sample filter), that's the 2nd best differential (behind Joel Embid) and comparable to what we saw with Jokic last season

That's something that's always confused me. The record with Luka vs. without has consistently indicated Dallas is good/great with him and bad/terrible without him. Yet, the +/- numbers never seemed to fully reflect that until this year (even though he's been + for on and on/off every year since his rookie year).
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#104 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Mavericks without Luka

Mavericks with Luka

Curious for what rk would say here but to speak to what you mentioned:

First, by season's end it certainly makes sense to have Luka on the short list for MVP and I don't want to make it seem like I'm claiming otherwise. I was more strident arguing against Luka earlier in the year, but now it makes sense he's in the conversation.

Re: without the starters. So, this doesn't resonate with me. The idea that Jokic has inflated numbers because he gets to play with MPJ & KCP is pretty silly to me, and I don't see the situation in Dallas as one where the Mavs have chosen to play Luka with their worst players.

On the other hand, I do think the WOWY for Luka says really good things about Luka's impact.

On the third hand though, we have the OnWin factor in comparison to top contenders. You mention Luka being on the Mavs for 46 wins, and I'll also note he had 46 OnWins. But then Jokic is coming in at freaking 63, and that difference of 17 utterly dwarfs the difference between their team records.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#105 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

Ambrose wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Mavericks without Luka

Mavericks with Luka

That's something that's always confused me. The record with Luka vs. without has consistently indicated Dallas is good/great with him and bad/terrible without him. Yet, the +/- numbers never seemed to fully reflect that until this year (even though he's been + for on and on/off every year since his rookie year).

So one aspect of this that I think we have to consider when there's such a disconnect is that the goal of players isn't to win games by as many points as possible, but simply to win. So if I'm playing big minutes with a positive +/-, that might be all my team needs most of the time. This is a thing that I first considered with Kobe, and like Luka, I think it makes Kobe look better than raw +/- does.

At the same time, I've never seen a player with generally meh on/off who looks like the best player in the world by OnWin-based analysis. And while I love WOWY, the sample is generally ridiculously small for anyone who isn't hurting his team by missing time. Denver went 2-1 without Jokic this year, which taken literally implies they'd be about as good with or without him...but nobody actually thinks that's a reasonable thing to say.

Ambrose
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Well, as you've commented on, there is the "net-rating without the starters" bit where Luka massively outshines everyone.

Mavericks without Luka

Mavericks with Luka

So one aspect of this that I think we have to consider when there's such a disconnect is that the goal of players isn't to win games by as many points as possible, but simply to win. So if I'm playing big minutes with a positive +/-, that might be all my team needs most of the time. This is a thing that I first considered with Kobe, and like Luka, I think it makes Kobe look better than raw +/- does.

At the same time, I've never seen a player with generally meh on/off who looks like the best player in the world by OnWin-based analysis. And while I love WOWY, the sample is generally ridiculously small for anyone who isn't hurting his team by missing time. Denver went 2-1 without Jokic this year, which taken literally implies they'd be about as good with or without him...but nobody actually thinks that's a reasonable thing to say.

I guess my thing is 2-1 is a very small sample, and most other years, including last, Denver has been awful when Jokic misses games. Luka's sample is both large (in total) and has consistently shown big drops in team performance.

2024: 46-24 (54 pace), 4-8 (27 pace)
2023: 33-33 (41 pace), 5-11 (26 pace)
2022: 43-21 (55 pace), 8-9 (39 pace)
2021: 40-26 (50 pace), 2-4 (27 pace)
2020: 36-25 (48 pace), 7-7 (41 pace)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#107 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm

Ambrose wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

I guess my thing is 2-1 is a very small sample, and most other years, including last, Denver has been awful when Jokic misses games. Luka's sample is both large (in total) and has consistently shown big drops in team performance.

What I'd say is that just because a player shows this impact doesn't mean he's showing "good enough impact" that let's us simply use the box score to figure out who should be ranked higher. Not saying you're looking to do that, but that's definitely what I've experienced from others in the past - particularly on the GB.

To me scoreboard family data isn't something we limit to only an early phase of our analysis, but something we look to use all the way to the end of the statistical part of our analysis.

Ambrose
Assistant Coach

Post#108 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

What I'd say is that just because a player shows this impact doesn't mean he's showing "good enough impact" that let's us simply use the box score to figure out who should be ranked higher. Not saying you're looking to do that, but that's definitely what I've experienced from others in the past - particularly on the GB.

To me scoreboard family data isn't something we limit to only an early phase of our analysis, but something we look to use all the way to the end of the statistical part of our analysis.

It's less so me drawing a conclusion than being confused why two things (big #'s, strong WOWY) strongly indicate one thing, and another (+/-) doesn't seem to agree. It doesn't matter anymore because it's all syncing up now, but it was something that never made sense to me.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,230

Post#109 » by lessthanjake » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

I think Luka’s WOWY data for this season is a good example of exactly how the small sample size of single-season WOWY can be distorted and therefore why it is not worth much. The Mavs have a 49-point loss in there without Luka! That *massively* drives the data when the number of missed games is so low. Of course, the 49-point loss did happen, but the whole reason Luka sat that game is that it did not really matter to the Mavs if they won since their first-round matchup was already set. It’s a game where the team’s goal was to avoid injuries, not to win. The same is true for the second-to-last game of the season, which was an 18-point loss. You really cannot take anything from the results of games like that, and yet it has a massive effect on the single-season WOWY!

For what it’s worth, outside of those games, the Mavs were 4-6 without Luka (and 4-3 with Kyrie and without Luka), with a -5.2 average MOV. And even that doesn’t tell the whole story, since those games were an abnormally hard strength of schedule, so the SRS in those games was actually -2.95. So what we actually saw was the Mavs being a +4.10 SRS team when Luka played, a -2.95 SRS team when Luka didn’t play, and then got blown out in a couple games that they clearly did not care about. That definitely still portrays Luka very well, but I think it leads to a different conclusion than one might have from looking at the data with the two garbage data points. This sort of thing is a particularly big issue with smaller samples of WOWY data—where one data point can totally skew the data—though it also can be an issue with larger samples because some players regularly miss games at the end of the season that their team doesn’t care about and other players don’t do that.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,281

Post#110 » by AEnigma » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Executive Award Wins I would say undeniably required looking at roster moves outside of that one season:
    - Bucky Buckwalter for the 1991 Blazers (unless we are going all in on a trade for seventh man Danny Ainge)
This is to say nothing of the borderline indefensible (by the supposed principle of the award) but theoretically justifiable wins, of which there are several, e.g. Frank Layden apparently being awarded for drafting Thurl Bailey as a fifth starter in 1984. One of my favourites: 2014 R.C. Buford, because he… signed Marco Belinelli in free agency. Compelling stuff.

So, y'all are making great points with specific examples and I'd say clearly I need to be more flexible on this.

I do not think you have done a bad job setting guidelines. When I voted for Riley last year, you stressed that I should not be voting for him for reasons that we would have awarded him previously, and I agree with that principle. In Presti’s case, Shai and Dort should not be major aspects here (since 2020, Presti did secure both long-term… but I think most of us can agree that an executive should not be winning just because they successfully kept players). But in another vein, should we be ignoring Holmgren entirely just because he was drafted in 2022? Should we ignore Daigneault winning the regular season Coach of the Year because he was promoted during a rebuild? That seems far too reactive the other direction, and that type of approach is how you get official wins where one executive traded for a nominal all-star (1983 Sonics). Or a lot of other retroactively uninspiring wins where it does seem to have defaulted to whomever made a splashy move, regardless of whether it made the team any more relevant.

On your specifics, I'll say that the Buford mention really resonated with me. Clearly by 2014 the NBA was run by executive were something other than just golf buddies with the owner, and they chose to honor Buford in 2014 as a kind of culminating "look what he has put together" honor. Me telling y'all you can't do the same seems silly.

I would still really emphasize the following point though: EOY has neve been an award where it makes sense to add up EOY shares to determine the GOAT GM, and I don't think we should try to make it that.

One last thing: I don't think Kasten winning back-to-back awards is something that indicates that they were looking at culmination of team-building. Consider first that those Hawks really never amounted to all that much. By contrast the '85-86 Celtics were, in Bill Simmons' opinion, the best thing in the history of the universe, but no Celtic GM was getting EOY honors in that year or any other year they won titles in the '80s. Same for the Lakers.

Well, I think there is something to the culmination idea, but I agree the overall logic is tough to follow when looking at all the names who were distinctly not rewarded for their roster moves compared to those who were. What I mostly wanted to highlight with the Hawks was that all five starters, and the coach, were on the team in 1985. The following year they had the same top seven players. I have no idea why Kasten won both years, but the signal is that “major moves” were not a factor.

This then to say: I think Buford winning in 2014 has as much to do with there not being a strong candidate based on that year's worth of work as it did them wanting to honor Buford. I think generally if there's someone who made big moves in the last year that other execs want to celebrate, that's who gets the award.

This is truer, especially recently. So then I think about the “big” moves this year:
    - The Suns traded for Beal
    - The Warriors traded for Chris Paul
    - The Clippers traded for Harden
    - The Celtics traded for Jrue and Porzingis
    - The Bucks traded for Lillard
    - The Knicks traded for Anunoby
    - The Pacers traded for Siakam
And hey, a ballot comprised of three of those teams would be perfectly fair… but there is a reason you would never require that a ballot only consider those teams, even though those were the only teams making splashy moves. No one really rewarded the lottery Mavericks last year for trading for Kyrie, but if the Mavericks make a run this year, Kyrie will likely have qualified as an important contributor to that run (even if the contribution ends up being more for helping them stay above the play-in), and we should be keeping that in mind rather than just looking at how they made non-splashy moves trading for Gafford and Washington.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 633

Post#111 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm

Some numbers from 82games.com...

Raw +/- from clutch time

Paul George +160
KCP +158
Jokic +150
Porter Jr. +147
Hartenstein +144

Simple Rating

Giannis +19.3
Embiid +19
Jokic +18.5
Luka +17.7
Shai +17

Paul George and Hartenstein both had great years. Hartenstein's a nice quick German body that puts up good defensive numbers, and George has been great as always, nice vet at 33. Denver looks solid in clutch time, I think the trend will continue in the playoffs.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#112 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I do not think you have done a bad job setting guidelines. When I voted for Riley last year, you stressed that I should not be voting for him for reasons that we would have awarded him previously, and I agree with that principle. In Presti’s case, Shai and Dort should not be major aspects here (since 2020, Presti did secure both long-term… but I think most of us can agree that an executive should not be winning just because they successfully kept players). But in another vein, should we be ignoring Holmgren entirely just because he was drafted in 2022? Should we ignore Daigneault winning the regular season Coach of the Year because he was promoted during a rebuild? That seems far too reactive the other direction, and that type of approach is how you get official wins where one executive traded for a nominal all-star (1983 Sonics). Or a lot of other retroactively uninspiring wins where it does seem to have defaulted to whomever made a splashy move, regardless of whether it made the team any more relevant.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in setting guidelines, but I do think I need to change it some. Sounds to me like an emphasis on not double counting moves is the essential bit, and Holmgren provides a really clear example:

We have no issue with theoretically using drafting for EOY, but when a player is injured the year after he's drafted that won't happen. If the next year leaves us thinking for the first time confidently that that GM had an amazing draft the prior year, it makes sense to want to give him accolade love, and given the track record of exec voting in the past, it seems like this should allowed.

By that same token other things that emerge from uncertainty to confident assessment in the scope of that particular year make sense to be allowed to include.

AEnigma wrote:

Well, I think there is something to the culmination idea, but I agree the overall logic is tough to follow when looking at all the names who were distinctly not rewarded for their roster moves compared to those who were. What I mostly wanted to highlight with the Hawks was that all five starters, and the coach, were on the team in 1985. The following year they had the same top seven players. I have no idea why Kasten won both years, but the signal is that “major moves” were not a factor.

This is truer, especially recently. So then I think about the “big” moves this year:
    - The Suns traded for Beal
    - The Warriors traded for Chris Paul
    - The Clippers traded for Harden
    - The Celtics traded for Jrue and Porzingis
    - The Bucks traded for Lillard
    - The Knicks traded for Anunoby
    - The Pacers traded for Siakam
And hey, a ballot comprised of three of those teams would be perfectly fair… but there is a reason you would never require that a ballot only consider those teams, even though those were the only teams making splashy moves. No one really rewarded the lottery Mavericks last year for trading for Kyrie, but if the Mavericks make a run this year, Kyrie will likely have qualified as an important contributor to that run (even if the contribution ends up being more for helping them stay above the play-in), and we should be keeping that in mind rather than just looking at how they made non-splashy moves trading for Gafford and Washington.

Yup, so I personally have been thinking mostly in terms of the the Celtics & Knicks this year. Others would on the list would have been more on my mind if they had they had paid more dividends from what I've seen.

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,041

Post#113 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
We have no issue with theoretically using drafting for EOY, but when a player is injured the year after he's drafted that won't happen. If the next year leaves us thinking for the first time confidently that that GM had an amazing draft the prior year, it makes sense to want to give him accolade love, and given the track record of exec voting in the past, it seems like this should allowed.

Let's go back in time a bit to one Joel Embiid. I remember in real-time thinking this is the clear top pick in this draft even with the very significant injury concerns because he's the one real potential franchise player staring us in the face. So I can love that pick for Philly even knowing there will be no immediate returns.

Or going back to Chet. One can love that pick (I didn't :oops: ) even though he ends up hurt and misses the whole year. Just as a player could have a surprisingly good rookie year (MCW, Tyreke) and someone might not love that choice because they believed higher ceiling prospects were available.

Not sure there should be any real guidelines on any of these awards unless its some sort of games/minutes played for the players. Team-building is a multi-year process in most cases (even the Heatles and 08 Celtics had some moves that helped set up the one huge summer).

Take the Nets when even the PC board was crowning them paper champions after assembling the 3 superstars. If they hadn't shown real competence and an ability to build a winner even while giving all their high draft picks to Boston, KD/Kyrie never choose them and Harden never forces his way there. So if one was considering their GM for EOY, one might well take into account the groundwork.

Stevens will be a popular choice and probably the winner here because its best RS team by a mile and one can point to too splashy starter additions. But they drafted Tatum and Brown when those weren't consensus picks by any means, they brought back Horford and then re-signed him on a bargain to fit him in, and of course the under the radar White addition. Most of the real work was actually done earlier and some of not by Stevens.

But its up to each of us to parse all this out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,281

Post#114 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm

Stevens is one of the easier ones to assess because he has only been a GM for three years, but principally I agree.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#115 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Let's go back in time a bit to one Joel Embiid. I remember in real-time thinking this is the clear top pick in this draft even with the very significant injury concerns because he's the one real potential franchise player staring us in the face. So I can love that pick for Philly even knowing there will be no immediate returns.

Or going back to Chet. One can love that pick (I didn't :oops: ) even though he ends up hurt and misses the whole year. Just as a player could have a surprisingly good rookie year (MCW, Tyreke) and someone might not love that choice because they believed higher ceiling prospects were available.

Not sure there should be any real guidelines on any of these awards unless its some sort of games/minutes played for the players. Team-building is a multi-year process in most cases (even the Heatles and 08 Celtics had some moves that helped set up the one huge summer).

Take the Nets when even the PC board was crowning them paper champions after assembling the 3 superstars. If they hadn't shown real competence and an ability to build a winner even while giving all their high draft picks to Boston, KD/Kyrie never choose them and Harden never forces his way there. So if one was considering their GM for EOY, one might well take into account the groundwork.

Stevens will be a popular choice and probably the winner here because its best RS team by a mile and one can point to too splashy starter additions. But they drafted Tatum and Brown when those weren't consensus picks by any means, they brought back Horford and then re-signed him on a bargain to fit him in, and of course the under the radar White addition. Most of the real work was actually done earlier and some of not by Stevens.

So I like the Embiid mention because it really shows how things contort when we consider allowing previous seasons to count.

Embiid was drafted in 2014. He doesn't play until '16-17, by which time the GM who drafted him has been fired. I think it should go without saying that it doesn't make sense to give that GM (Hinkie) the award when he's no longer a working exec, and it also doesn't make sense to give his replacement (Colangelo) the award for something he didn't do.

I also remember bringing this up with Connolly last year as the team he built - Denver - won it all, while he no longer worked for that team. The idea that you give him the award for past work for a previous employer really doesn't seem to me to fit how the awards eve been done.

All of this makes me personally want to stick to actually interpreting EOY literally rather than trying to shoehorn stuff in from earlier years in the name of consistency...but as I've acknowledged in this thread, clearly when there is GM continuity, EOY votes have been pretty liberal about this.

Re: Nets EOY. So, I'll say that I voted for Marks in the year when he brought Harden in, and that hasn't aged well. Definitely worth discussing, but I don't think I'd vote any differently if we did it again.

I would emphasize that for me I didn't see it as a "paper champion" thing. I believe the Nets were a 28-8 club with Harden after the midseason trade and they looked like they were the better team against the Bucks before Harden's injury. To me, given that the GM doesn't actually play, that made it awfully hard not to look at Marks as building a champion level team.

It's weird. If they do win that chip, literally everything changes. Harden probably doesn't ask out the next year, and the Nets are likely to give the players the new deals what they want. If all that happens, then that EOY vote of mine seems pretty wise.

As I say all of this, I wasn't someone giving Marks a lot of credit for acquiring Durant/Kyrie/DeAndre. To me there was a whole lot of stupidity in that group that put up huge red flags. That stupidity would eventually crippled the entire enterprise...but when it allowed them to get Harden, and the Durant/Harden/Kyrie duo really looked like top tier contenders, I put my misgivings aside.

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,710

Post#116 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

So I like the Embiid mention because it really shows how things contort when we consider allowing previous seasons to count.

Embiid was drafted in 2014. He doesn't play until '16-17, by which time the GM who drafted him has been fired. I think it should go without saying that it doesn't make sense to give that GM (Hinkie) the award when he's no longer a working exec, and it also doesn't make sense to give his replacement (Colangelo) the award for something he didn't do.

I also remember bringing this up with Connolly last year as the team he built - Denver - won it all, while he no longer worked for that team. The idea that you give him the award for past work for a previous employer really doesn't seem to me to fit how the awards eve been done.

All of this makes me personally want to stick to actually interpreting EOY literally rather than trying to shoehorn stuff in from earlier years in the name of consistency...but as I've acknowledged in this thread, clearly when there is GM continuity, EOY votes have been pretty liberal about this.

Re: Nets EOY. So, I'll say that I voted for Marks in the year when he brought Harden in, and that hasn't aged well. Definitely worth discussing, but I don't think I'd vote any differently if we did it again.

I would emphasize that for me I didn't see it as a "paper champion" thing. I believe the Nets were a 28-8 club with Harden after the midseason trade and they looked like they were the better team against the Bucks before Harden's injury. To me, given that the GM doesn't actually play, that made it awfully hard not to look at Marks as building a champion level team.

It's weird. If they do win that chip, literally everything changes. Harden probably doesn't ask out the next year, and the Nets are likely to give the players the new deals what they want. If all that happens, then that EOY vote of mine seems pretty wise.

As I say all of this, I wasn't someone giving Marks a lot of credit for acquiring Durant/Kyrie/DeAndre. To me there was a whole lot of stupidity in that group that put up huge red flags. That stupidity would eventually crippled the entire enterprise...but when it allowed them to get Harden, and the Durant/Harden/Kyrie duo really looked like top tier contenders, I put my misgivings aside.

If I may chime in to this EOY conversation...

These issues with EOY are not new. If you look at the list of who has won it IRL life...there are more than a few that raise the eyebrows. The two consistent things that seem to drive who gets it are either "big splash" FA/trade/draft moves, or notable single-season turnarounds. But the big splash moves, as has been discussed, are sometimes rewarded after the fact, and the big turnarounds are sometimes not fully attributed to the right things. And there are some that just plain don't make sense.

Red Auerbach won it in 1979-80 for the Celtics' big turnaround, which was among the biggest ever. But the primary driver of that turnaround was the arrival of Larry Bird, who had been drafted a year prior. I mean, ok, he also hired Bill Fitch. Fair enough. But it speaks to that phenomenon of GMs getting rewarded for something that happened earlier.

Or take the case of 1996-97. I think 1996 was one of the most consequential summers ever in basketball, certainly the NBA's first really big FA summer, and there were a lot of high-profile GM moves made. The winner was Bob Bass, GM of the Charlotte Hornets. His big moves were trading Kobe's draft rights for Divac and trading Larry Johnson for Anthony Mason. The Hornets did experience a solid SRS/Net Rtg jump(~2.5 points each), but that ignores that Muggsy Bogues missed all but six games in 1995-96 and was much healthier in 96-97, where he posted a +6.6 on/off, one of the highest on the team.

But that was the summer where Jerry West acquired Shaq/Kobe in one fell swoop(even if the results wouldn't show themselves for a few years); where Ernie Grunfeld got the Knicks out of their post-Riley malaise by signing Allan Houston, swapping Mason for Larry Johnson, and signing Chris Childs and Buck Williams; where the Hawks saw a big jump in SRS/Net after acquiring Mutombo and Tyrone Corbin; where Riles changed much of the Heat roster outside of Mourning and Hardaway, acquiring PJ Brown and Dan Majerle, promoting Voshon Lenard to a much bigger role, and acquiring Jamal Mashburn at the deadline, resulting in a big improvement for the team; and where the Rockets acquired Barkley and saw a marked improvement from their 96 season, and the last real relevance of the Hakeem era. All due respect to Bass, there were more deserving candidates.

Or how about Bob Myers, who won twice. The first was in 14-15. Fair play, he had signed Kerr to be the coach, though all the other key players had already been there a while and Steph was not his acquisition(Don Nelson drafted him). But then he won again in 16-17, essentially for signing Durant, the most blindingly obvious GM move maybe in NBA history. Even though Steph and Draymond had higher on/off than Durant throughout the season. One could argue Daryl Morey deserved it more that year(though he'd win it the next year).

Anyway, you can keep poking holes. The fundamental issue, I think, is that it's a short-term award for a long-term job. This is illustrated by the fact there are two guys who never won it despite each building a perennial contender(one of which won championships) without really making any "big splash" moves: Jack McCloskey(architect of the Bad Boys) and Donnie Walsh(architect of the 1990s Pacers). Those were, imo, some of the most masterful long-term GM jobs, executed using largely non-obvious moves, that I can think of, and neither ever won it.

As for this season, I do lean towards Brad Stevens. Those may be big splash moves he made, but they weren't obvious. I don't know that anyone went into last offseason thinking "Porzingis is the guy they should go after". The fact that they had to give up Marcus Smart to do it when they didn't really want to, and then managed to actually upgrade him to Jrue through a combination of luck/timing and willingness to risk overpay...and to have a historic regular season be the result?

There were also a couple of notable non-moves. One was the decision to not bring back Grant Williams, which doesn't seem to have hurt them, and they got draft capital back for him.

The other was the decision to keep Mazzulla. There was a lot of noise during the playoffs last year, and once they ended, about the notion that he wasn't good enough, that they should move on from him, especially because there were a number of big names available - Nurse, Monty Williams, Budenholzer, Doc. I'm not sure it was a coincidence that Nurse and Williams didn't accept their new jobs until a few days after Boston was eliminated...I would think either one would've taken that job, if it was available, over the ones they took. But Stevens stuck with Mazzulla and it looks like it panned out.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#117 » by eminence » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:20 pm

Playoffs are set, and nobody who missed will be in the running for my top 5 this season.

Jokic/Tatum/SGA/Luka are all likely to make my ballot, but the 5th spot is up in the air with Giannis out.
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#118 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Red Auerbach won it in 1979-80 for the Celtics' big turnaround, which was among the biggest ever. But the primary driver of that turnaround was the arrival of Larry Bird, who had been drafted a year prior. I mean, ok, he also hired Bill Fitch. Fair enough. But it speaks to that phenomenon of GMs getting rewarded for something that happened earlier.

Wow. I think this really shows that I didn't really go through and think about the historical winners on this award like I wish I had.
Clear precedent for rewarding the first evidence of culminating success, and very much a parallel to Presti this year.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Or take the case of 1996-97. I think 1996 was one of the most consequential summers ever in basketball, certainly the NBA's first really big FA summer, and there were a lot of high-profile GM moves made. The winner was Bob Bass, GM of the Charlotte Hornets. His big moves were trading Kobe's draft rights for Divac and trading Larry Johnson for Anthony Mason. The Hornets did experience a solid SRS/Net Rtg jump(~2.5 points each), but that ignores that Muggsy Bogues missed all but six games in 1995-96 and was much healthier in 96-97, where he posted a +6.6 on/off, one of the highest on the team.

But that was the summer where Jerry West acquired Shaq/Kobe in one fell swoop(even if the results wouldn't show themselves for a few years); where Ernie Grunfeld got the Knicks out of their post-Riley malaise by signing Allan Houston, swapping Mason for Larry Johnson, and signing Chris Childs and Buck Williams; where the Hawks saw a big jump in SRS/Net after acquiring Mutombo and Tyrone Corbin; where Riles changed much of the Heat roster outside of Mourning and Hardaway, acquiring PJ Brown and Dan Majerle, promoting Voshon Lenard to a much bigger role, and acquiring Jamal Mashburn at the deadline, resulting in a big improvement for the team; and where the Rockets acquired Barkley and saw a marked improvement from their 96 season, and the last real relevance of the Hakeem era. All due respect to Bass, there were more deserving candidates.

The '96-97 EOY is one that always struck me just plain impossible to justify if you're talking about outside voters just picking the most consequential moves for the positive that year. I think it's an indication of the "smoke-filled room" aspect of 30 execs voting for someone amongst themselves. I just can't believe that that body actually thought the Hornets' acquisitions amount to more than the Lakers getting Shaq.

And yeah, with the acquisition of Kobe at the same time, you have what I consider to be a strong candidate for GOAT EOY level performance from West.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:As for this season, I do lean towards Brad Stevens. Those may be big splash moves he made, but they weren't obvious. I don't know that anyone went into last offseason thinking "Porzingis is the guy they should go after". The fact that they had to give up Marcus Smart to do it when they didn't really want to, and then managed to actually upgrade him to Jrue through a combination of luck/timing and willingness to risk overpay...and to have a historic regular season be the result?

There were also a couple of notable non-moves. One was the decision to not bring back Grant Williams, which doesn't seem to have hurt them, and they got draft capital back for him.

The other was the decision to keep Mazzulla. There was a lot of noise during the playoffs last year, and once they ended, about the notion that he wasn't good enough, that they should move on from him, especially because there were a number of big names available - Nurse, Monty Williams, Budenholzer, Doc. I'm not sure it was a coincidence that Nurse and Williams didn't accept their new jobs until a few days after Boston was eliminated...I would think either one would've taken that job, if it was available, over the ones they took. But Stevens stuck with Mazzulla and it looks like it panned out.

I totally agree of with the "not obvious" factor. You don't win EOY for drafting Wemby, because literally anyone would have done that. When you make big, bold moves that seems like they could be big mistakes, but they turn out to be great successes, I don't know if anything impresses me more.

And yeah, after the KP move I was bearish on their contention this year...and then they got Jrue, and it totally changed how I saw the whole thing potentially working. And then the Celtics were even better than my most optimistic assessments.

I'm also with you in feeling like Stevens really knows what he is doing with his coaches. I think it likely that Stevens is having "mentoring" conversation with Mazzulla in which he absolutely gives thoughts on team strategy, but I also think Stevens knew that the players were tired of hearing his particular voice, so he's using proxies in Udoka & Mazzulla. That's not to say that the proxies don't deserve credit because they do - you can't just put anyone in that role and have it work. After Udoka we feared that someone other than an alpha male with NBA career might not be able to get the players to buy in, but bought with Mazzulla they now are. This then also to say that I see Mazzulla as a definite COY candidate.

OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,867

Post#119 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:50 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Okay, to be clear here, to whatever degree we weigh this against the on/off/rapm side of things...taken in a vacuum, that 5-year run isn't merely "good enough", that's historically remarkable. 5 year average of a 15+ lift, with 2 20+ marks(reasonable per-season sample), is something I think you'd be hard-pressed to find 15 examples of throughout nba history, and that is dragged by Luka's rookie-year. The statistical company in terms of WOWY are the likes of Jordan, Magic, Hakeem, ect. and the sample here is larger than you would get for most.

The better question to ask I think is why the Mavericks look alot worse in games than what is(mostly) a few minutes a game, and the place I'd start is looking at the lineups.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#120 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:10 pm

Just putting some more thoughts down as things coalesce to start the playoffs. On major POY candidates:

Jokic is my choice for MVP, and thus by definition the guy who is leading the POY race for me. While it's clear that things can happen that can lead to others jumping past them, Jokic is definitely someone who might remain my POY even if his team gets beat.

Shai is my clear #2 guy right now, and there's certainly a path toward him taking the top spot...but I have less confidence in him thank my ranking suggests. Largely the classic - the playoffs are a different thing, we'll have to see how that plays out for the new guy. I also have concerns with his foul drawing. Sometimes that's not a well you can drink from.

After those two, it all becomes murkier for me, and to be honest I like focusing on our POY because I don't feel that strongly about the subsequent placements.

Luka's been the guy getting all the buzz and understandably so. Something has changed since the midseason trades, and it's within the realm of possibility that we're about to see emerge as a top contender right now. And of course while it's theoretically possible for any player to emerge as the best player in the playoffs, Luka's the one we've been looking toward here ever since we saw play against the Clippers in 2020.

And now, I risk being a caricature of myself: Are we really sure he should be ranked ahead of Jalen Brunson at this moment? Plenty of impact stuff gives the nod to Luka's old teammate over Luka still. I certainly consider Luka more likely to lead team to chip...but Brunson's had a hell of a season.

Giannis clearly has an argument for as high as 3. It's hard for me to truly fathom consider Brunson as a better player than him. But this is also where we get into the murkiness of player-GMs. Giannis had his finger on the scale as they went from Jrue to Dame, and Bud to Griffin (to Doc), and it really doesn't look like it's been for the best.

Always to be clear: I'm not saying others have to factor stuff like this in by any means, but it is something I consider.

Were I making an official MVP vote, my Top 5 would either be those guys in some order, or Jayson Tatum would get a spot. Tatum's in something of an awkward situation - for MVP consideration - where the team getting even better hasn't come from its best player becoming more indispensable, but less indispensable. Tatum remains the best, most valuable player on a team built around his shape as a player, but by some measures they are a team for the ages. Not a thing I'd want to dismiss lightly.

Worth noting guys who could make noise depending on who leaps forward in the playoffs:

Edwards/Gobert - if the Wolves emerge in the playoffs, we'd probably expect Edwards to be the main POY guy and Gobert to have a stranglehold on the DPOY, but of course if the Wolves dominate on defense rather than offense, there might be a groundswell for Gobert here for POY.

Kawhi/George - If Kawhi plays and plays as the clear #1 on the Clippers, people will probably fall hard for him given his previous track record, and understandably so. Interestingly, I think George has probably been the more valuable guy for the Clippers to this point, and so it makes sense to think about him emerging at the star for the Clippers if Kawhi dips a bit but the team still thrives.

Embiid - If the Troel comes in, dominates every series and leads the 76ers to the title, I don't think most will care about his missed time.

Beyond those guys, I feel like I need to mention the Suns & Lakers and their respective big stars, even if I really don't see either as true contenders, and they'd need deep runs to get consideration from me here.

Return to Player Comparisons