Prime LeBron James is the most resilient scorer in NBA History

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,249

Re: Prime LeBron James is the most resilient scorer in NBA History 

Post#41 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

He actually started at age 24/25 for Jordan, but he threw in three games from the 1986 postseason to preempt complaints about potentially excluding a great individual performance against a -4 defence.

Either way I do not think anyone is really disputing that pre-prime Lebron still had serious flaws as a scorer, but the title is explicitly about primes.
Lebronnygoat
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#42 » by Lebronnygoat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm

lessthanjake wrote:This is interesting information. Others have made some obvious points about it, which I won’t repeat.

Can you explain why you included the 2014 Bobcats though? They did not have a -3.0 rDRTG.

Also, I get that you ostensibly analyzed corresponding years by age, but you actually started at age 22 for Jordan and started at age 24 for LeBron, which obscures the fact that LeBron really struggled in playoff series against 3.0+ rDRTG defenses at ages 22 and 23. (He had 22 PPG on -8.3 rTS% against the 2007 Spurs, and 26.7 PPG on -2.8 rTS% against the 2008 Celtics). I think if you included those and took out the 2014 Bobcats, you might find the results look pretty different.

I got them at -2.9rdrtg. No difference really between-3.0. It would be a different story had it been 2.7 or smth like that. This is about prime LeBron. Arguably 08 is his prime for scoring, but to me 09 takes it a step up. But 08 would move the stats but bron has the edge, especially considering defensive competition and -4rdrtg defenses LeBron would have a better edge. 07 is certainly not LeBron’s scoring prime. This uses them at the same age and their first MVP’s, but since 86 MJ had one of his GOAT series (I mean he played goat scoring lvl in 2 games so it’s a small sample size) I decided to include it. 88-98 and 09-18. 10 years.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,855

Post#43 » by OhayoKD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Lebronnygoat wrote:
4 efficiency points clears 4 volume points. Thats not even a debate, especially when the defensive competition is in LeBron’s favor by -1. Peak wise LeBron’s resilience clears too. 2014 and 2009 > Any Jordan. Regular season is closer. Though peak regular season goes to LeBron. While prime is comparable.

Does it? Show your work

Will say the more you lean towards efficiency, the stronger Kareem's GOAT scoring case becomes

This is purely hypothetical since I don't have the TSA for LeBron/Jordan over these periods, but I am just going to put hypothetical numbers [somewhat accurate].

LeBron: 30.1 PP75 on 20 FGA and 9 FTA [62.8 TS%]
Jordan: 34.3 PP75 on 25 FGA and 10 FTA [58.5 TS%]

This gives us the difference of ~4 TS%, which is what OP has.

In order for LeBron's team to make-up the 4.2 points, the team would need to score those points on 5 FGA and 1 FTA, which is a 38.6 TS% is needed from LeBron's teammate(s) in order to match Jordan's Volume + Efficiency.

Works for me.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,855

Post#44 » by OhayoKD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm

lebronnygoat wrote:

70sFan wrote:I didn't know only 2 players exist in this discussion. Why don't you share other players numbers as well?

BTW, I'd have to check my spreadsheets but I think something is wrong with these numbers.

Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, and Wilt would be good inclusions here
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,920

Post#45 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
lebronnygoat wrote:

70sFan wrote:I didn't know only 2 players exist in this discussion. Why don't you share other players numbers as well?

BTW, I'd have to check my spreadsheets but I think something is wrong with these numbers.

I'd like to see Dirk and Bird as well.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,232

Post#46 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm

Colbinii wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
lebronnygoat wrote:

Bird definitely doesn't belong in a discussion of most resilient scorers based on his playoff history.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,920

Post#47 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Bird definitely doesn't belong in a discussion of most resilient scorers based on his playoff history.

That's why I want to see him :lol:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#48 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:10 pm

If Lebron's the greatest scorer why is he no wear to be found on this list?

Read on Twitter

I see quite a few faces some more than once, but I do not see Lebron's face.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,195

Post#49 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Lebronnygoat wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:This is interesting information. Others have made some obvious points about it, which I won’t repeat.

Can you explain why you included the 2014 Bobcats though? They did not have a -3.0 rDRTG.

Also, I get that you ostensibly analyzed corresponding years by age, but you actually started at age 22 for Jordan and started at age 24 for LeBron, which obscures the fact that LeBron really struggled in playoff series against 3.0+ rDRTG defenses at ages 22 and 23. (He had 22 PPG on -8.3 rTS% against the 2007 Spurs, and 26.7 PPG on -2.8 rTS% against the 2008 Celtics). I think if you included those and took out the 2014 Bobcats, you might find the results look pretty different.

I got them at -2.9rdrtg. No difference really between-3.0. It would be a different story had it been 2.7 or smth like that.

If you are using a specific cutoff, you should actually adhere to that cutoff, not try to smuggle in data that doesn’t qualify (even writing -3.0 for the Bobcats in your OP, when you knew it was below that) simply because including that data point would help your argument.

Amusingly, your justification is that the 2014 Bobcats were very close, at -2.9 rDRTG. But meanwhile, the 1991 Lakers had a -2.9 rDRTG (and were obviously a far better team than the 2014 Bobcats), and you didn’t include Jordan’s huge series against them with a +10.2 rTS%. This is basically impossible to justify.

This is about prime LeBron. Arguably 08 is his prime for scoring, but to me 09 takes it a step up. But 08 would move the stats but bron has the edge, especially considering defensive competition and -4rdrtg defenses LeBron would have a better edge. 07 is certainly not LeBron’s scoring prime. This uses them at the same age and their first MVP’s, but since 86 MJ had one of his GOAT series (I mean he played goat scoring lvl in 2 games so it’s a small sample size) I decided to include it. 88-98 and 09-18. 10 years.

I would think that those earlier years would be considered part of LeBron’s *scoring* prime (and this thread is about scoring), given that they included, for instance, the one year he led the league in scoring (as well as his highest PPG ever in another early year).

Anyways, we could go back and forth about what is defined as “prime” for these guys and what isn’t. That’s ultimately an inherently subjective question. But, if you choose to only start at 2009 for LeBron, I do think your formulation obscures that LeBron was really not a resilient playoff scorer at all in his earlier years. Meanwhile, Jordan *was* a resilient playoff scorer at those early ages. It’s not even just 1986—Jordan was even a resilient scorer against a great Bucks defense as a rookie (29.3 PPG on +4.25 rTS%)! And these aren’t inconsequential years for these guys—they were both already amongst the league’s best players and best scorers in those years! This is all part of their stories in the league, and if you want to narrowly tailor a thread topic to try to avoid discussion of it, then I suppose you can do that, but it’s worth pointing out.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Post#50 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:If Lebron's the greatest scorer why is he no wear to be found on this list?

Read on Twitter

For the same reason that he wouldn't appear on a list of highest ppg seasons which is he doesn't shoot nearly the volume that some other guys have. That's not even the topic of this thread though. It's specifically most resilent scorer in nba history.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:If Lebron's the greatest scorer why is he no wear to be found on this list?

This isn't salient to the thread subject, really. The discussion is of resilience against escalating defensive quality, and volume alone isn't actually an argument for greatness. Lebron has one season of 23+ FGA/g in his career (23.1).

Jordan has 7, and shot 24+ in 4 different seasons, including 25.7 and 27.8 (the listed year).

Kobe has 3 seasons of 24+ and his 06 season was at 27.2

Gervin had 2 and was at 24.9 in 1980 (25.2 in 1982).

Luka is taking 23.6 FGA/g this year.

That said, Lebron scored 23.76 ppg without FTs in 2006 when he was at his shooting best, and was definitely not as good a jump shooter as any of these guys.

Luka's representation on this list is more about ability than the others, per se, who were more about hyper-volume shooting. Not sure that's the angle you want to take on an attack against Lebron's scoring ability.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#52 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 pm

tsherkin wrote:

This isn't salient to the thread subject, really. The discussion is of resilience against escalating defensive quality, and volume alone isn't actually an argument for greatness. Lebron has one season of 23+ FGA/g in his career (23.1).

Jordan has 7, and shot 24+ in 4 different seasons, including 25.7 and 27.8 (the listed year).

Kobe has 3 seasons of 24+ and his 06 season was at 27.2

Gervin had 2 and was at 24.9 in 1980 (25.2 in 1982).

Luka is taking 23.6 FGA/g this year.

That said, Lebron scored 23.76 ppg without FTs in 2006 when he was at his shooting best, and was definitely not as good a jump shooter as any of these guys.

Luka's representation on this list is more about ability than the others, per se, who were more about hyper-volume shooting. Not sure that's the angle you want to take on an attack against Lebron's scoring ability.

The lesser attempts for Lebron vs. Jordan is easily offset by Lebron taking 5000 more 3 pointers than Jordan in his career. You're getting an extra point for each vs. 2. He made 1700 more. There's really no reason he shouldn't be in the mix on ppg if he's the GOAT scorer. Also to me that is a slight knock on him, why is the "GOAT" scorer not taking more field goal attempts? Wouldn't the team want that?

But fair enough, resilient, Jordan had Jordan Rules put against him the Pistons were being more physical with him than any team had ever been to any player and they did beat his team two years in a row. He still was good but he had no teammate averaging 15 ppg that season, however he came back and beat them 4-0. That's resilient.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 pm

AEnigma wrote:He actually started at age 24/25 for Jordan, but he threw in three games from the 1986 postseason to preempt complaints about potentially excluding a great individual performance against a -4 defence.

Either way I do not think anyone is really disputing that pre-prime Lebron still had serious flaws as a scorer, but the title is explicitly about primes.

“He started at age 24 for Jordan, except that he actually didn’t.” Come on. I get that the earlier year for Jordan helped Jordan, so this is not just intentional data manipulation like including the 2014 Bobcats series was, but the fact that Jordan *was* a resilient playoff scorer in his early years while LeBron really was not is definitely a relevant point worth mentioning. Of course, one can try to narrowly tailor the topic being discussed in order to avoid this (though, again, I think those years would be defined as part of LeBron’s *scoring* prime, given the numbers he was putting up), but that basically just amounts to using a convenient cutoff to avoid very negative data points. Pointing out the existence of those negative data points that are just outside the time period being considered (though not outside the age range being used for the other player in the comparison) is certainly quite relevant.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:The lesser attempts for Lebron vs. Jordan is easily offset by Lebron taking 5000 more 3 pointers than Jordan in his career. You're getting an extra point for each vs. 2. He made 1700 more. There's really no reason he shouldn't be in the mix on ppg if he's the GOAT scorer. Also to me that is a slight knock on him, why is the "GOAT" scorer not taking more field goal attempts? Wouldn't the team want that?

Because he knows that it's better to pass more often than not. Even Jordan had to learn that lesson. There's a limit to what hyper-volume scoring can accomplish.

But fair enough, resilient, Jordan had Jordan Rules put against him the Pistons were being more physical with him than any team had ever been to any player and they did beat his team two years in a row. He still was good but he had no teammate averaging 15 ppg that season, however he came back and beat them 4-0. That's resilient.

That's irrelevant narrative that escapes the usage of the word "resilient" in this thread... and in playoff matchups with Detroit from 88-90, Jordan averaged 27.4 ppg on 54.9% TS, 29.7 ppg on 56.1% TS and 32.1 ppg on 56.6%.

In those respective regular seasons, he averaged 35.0 ppg on 60.3% TS, 32.5 ppg on 61.4% TS and 33.6 ppg on 60.6% TS.

He was considerably diminished against them. Not the pro-resilience argument you seem to think it is...
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,249

Post#55 » by AEnigma » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
AEnigma wrote:He actually started at age 24/25 for Jordan, but he threw in three games from the 1986 postseason to preempt complaints about potentially excluding a great individual performance against a -4 defence.

“He started at age 24 for Jordan, except that he actually didn’t.” Come on. I get that the earlier year for Jordan helped Jordan, so this is not just intentional data manipulation like including the 2014 Bobcats series was, but the fact that Jordan *was* a resilient playoff scorer in his early years while LeBron really was not is definitely a relevant point worth mentioning. Of course, one can try to narrowly tailor the topic being discussed in order to avoid this (though, again, I think those years would be defined as part of LeBron’s *scoring* prime, given the numbers he was putting up), but that basically just amounts to using a convenient cutoff to avoid very negative data points. Pointing out the existence of those negative data points that are just outside the time period being considered (though not outside the age range being used for the other player in the comparison) is certainly quite relevant.

I expected complaints from the usual crowd for this post, but will confess I did not expect, “Using numbers from when Lebron was a worse scorer would make him look like a worse scorer.” Inspiring stuff; looks very secure and definitely not like a petty and empty dismissal.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#56 » by Homer38 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Not enough FGA compared to others....
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 pm

Also, is there any explanation for why Jordan’s series against the 1991 Pistons isn’t counted here? The 1991 Pistons had a -3.3 rDRTG, so they clearly qualify. Jordan had a +13.1 rTS% against them, and the series is curiously not included.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#58 » by NbaAllDay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm pretty sure you see Lebrons face more than anyone here.
Lebronnygoat
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#59 » by Lebronnygoat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
Lebronnygoat wrote:

I got them at -2.9rdrtg. No difference really between-3.0. It would be a different story had it been 2.7 or smth like that.

If you are using a specific cutoff, you should actually adhere to that cutoff, not try to smuggle in data that doesn’t qualify (even writing -3.0 for the Bobcats in your OP, when you knew it was below that) simply because including that data point would help your argument.

Amusingly, your justification is that the 2014 Bobcats were very close, at -2.9 rDRTG. But meanwhile, the 1991 Lakers had a -2.9 rDRTG (and were obviously a far better team than the 2014 Bobcats), and you didn’t include Jordan’s huge series against them with a +10.2 rTS%. This is basically impossible to justify.

This is about prime LeBron. Arguably 08 is his prime for scoring, but to me 09 takes it a step up. But 08 would move the stats but bron has the edge, especially considering defensive competition and -4rdrtg defenses LeBron would have a better edge. 07 is certainly not LeBron’s scoring prime. This uses them at the same age and their first MVP’s, but since 86 MJ had one of his GOAT series (I mean he played goat scoring lvl in 2 games so it’s a small sample size) I decided to include it. 88-98 and 09-18. 10 years.

I would think that those earlier years would be considered part of LeBron’s *scoring* prime (and this thread is about scoring), given that they included, for instance, the one year he led the league in scoring (as well as his highest PPG ever in another early year).

Anyways, we could go back and forth about what is defined as “prime” for these guys and what isn’t. That’s ultimately an inherently subjective question. But, if you choose to only start at 2009 for LeBron, I do think your formulation obscures that LeBron was really not a resilient playoff scorer at all in his earlier years. Meanwhile, Jordan *was* a resilient playoff scorer at those early ages. It’s not even just 1986—Jordan was even a resilient scorer against a great Bucks defense as a rookie (29.3 PPG on +4.25 rTS%)! And these aren’t inconsequential years for these guys—they were both already amongst the league’s best players and best scorers in those years! This is all part of their stories in the league, and if you want to narrowly tailor a thread topic to try to avoid discussion of it, then I suppose you can do that, but it’s worth pointing out.

You’re two best wing defenders and ranking 1-3 probably best defenders, were hurt that series. I’m not moved by it. Vs the bobcats healthy in the first round who were on fire since march 3rd (16-6). Yea not the same. This also uses Jordan’s arguably best series ever vs Boston, and one of his best series bs Cleveland like c’mon now. Right after 2009 it uses 2011 so…
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,333

Post#60 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 pm

Lebronnygoat wrote:
AEnigma wrote:I generally agree, but you cannot sneak Demar and Jaylen in there lol.

Demar seemed pretty good to me pre Chicago

Come on man, really? DeRozan’s never been a good defender. Never.

Return to Player Comparisons